Author Topic: Does someone have like, architect-type skills or something?  (Read 2490 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Okay, in my home, I've got a room.  This room is, basically, our entertainment room.

In this room is a closet.  It's a nice size closet, but, since we're using the room for entertainment purposes, we don't need a closet.

So, my plan is to make the closet one big ol' entertainment storage center (for DVDs, Game and CDs).

Since I have very, very basic construction skills, my plan pretty much consists of painting the entire inside black, mounting some shelves and building a "toy box" in the bottom of it (to hold stuff like my NES Power Pad and other random stuff).

So, anywhoo, I have a very basic idea of what I want to do, but I have absolutly no art-like skills at all.  I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler.  So, I was wondering, if someone here has some kind of useful talent so that if I gave them the measurements, they could sketch something up for me?  
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: Does someone have like, architect-type skills or something?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 07:48:51 AM »
What are the measurements?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 08:05:24 AM »
Well, I don't have those just yet...

I have some measurements I took with a yardstick, as our measuring tape seems to have gone missing.

The closet is 95" tall, 92" wide and 31.5" deep.  The left and right sides recess in about 15".

My plan is to have shelving (6" deep) from the top all the way down to the base.  The first 72" will have mountings so that I can adjust the shelves to hold DVDs or CDs (two DVD cases with a one inch shelf is the same height as three CD cases with a one inch shelf).  Below the adjustible shelves will be one 9" tall shelf (for DVDs).  This shelf will actually extend all the way out (up to the door) and will be in two pieces.  The first piece will be the actual shelf (6" out from the walls) while the second piece (which will fill the area between the shelves and the door) will be on a hinge where it can be lifted to reveal my secret stash of goodies.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 08:27:45 AM »
I'm slightly confused by what you mean when you say The left and right sides recess in about 15".

What's the door situation?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 08:46:35 AM »
This should clear things up...

This is, of course, the outside of the closet.  It currently has sliding doors on it.  They'll probably stay since I don't have a better idea and, even if I did, I wouldn't have the skills to do anything about it.

And here's the inside.  Please ignore the mess, even though we've been in the house for awhile the unpacking is still a work in progress...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Does someone have like, architect-type skills or something?
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 10:48:32 AM »
My dad's actually an architect/draftsman, but I won't bother him since what you really need is a handyman/artist!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 10:56:04 AM »
Yeah... if he's an actual architect, then he's probably overqualified.  As in, he'll want money.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 02:26:19 AM »
Whats the dimension of the biggest TV you would want to put in there?  Hows the power situation?  Have you thought about wire management?  Are you going drill holes through the side to get speaker wires out?  How about ventilation?  Such an enlcosed area will need some sort of active ventilation for heat producers like game consoles.  In the end its really how much you are really willing to modify it.  Though adding this to your setup be cool.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 01:03:47 PM »
Umm... there will be no TV/Equiptment in there... It'll just be a huge closet for storing DVDs, CDs and games...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 02:01:29 PM »
Dude, don't they have closet organizin modular shelves at Walmart?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 02:58:41 PM »
Misunderstood above.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 03:36:30 PM »
Because then it wouldn't look as cool.  Or hold as much.

Think of this, only bigger.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5292873

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 09:19:48 PM »
Do you know any finish carpenters? That's who you need, not an architect.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
RE:Does someone have like, architect-type skills or something?
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 10:03:20 AM »
Why do you need a sketch? Why not just take the measurements to Lowes or some other home improvement store and have them cut all the pieces you'll need. During the process of figuring out what you need they should create a drawing to make sure you both know what to expect.