Linked Events

• NSMB Wii release: November 15, 2009

Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. Wii  (Read 227402 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
« Reply #1075 on: December 03, 2009, 10:17:57 PM »
No, that was ridonculous. Not get-the-most-powerful-weapon-in-the-game-by-avoiding-specific-treasure-chests-with-no-in-game hints in Final Fantasy XII ridonculous, but still ridonculous.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: December 04, 2009, 12:35:39 AM »
Did anyone manage to find the secret exit in the ghost house in world 3 without the hint movie (or looking it up online)?

What a bull**** secret exit.
Yep, and entirely by accident.  I later replayed that level with my brother a week later and could not remember what I had done.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: December 04, 2009, 02:13:15 AM »
iv jus gt maaaaad skillz
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: December 04, 2009, 02:35:54 PM »
i hate that i can't remember what you're talking about, now i'm gonna have to replay that level.

edit:[/b] looks like I did find it. Vudu fails @ nsmbw confirmed
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 03:08:27 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1079 on: December 04, 2009, 03:34:53 PM »
Ahaha yep, it was my first run through of the level too.

Same here.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1080 on: December 04, 2009, 03:41:06 PM »
The ghost house with the mice has me struggling to find the 3rd Star Coin, because the house only has two rooms before the exit.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: December 04, 2009, 03:44:33 PM »
The ghost house with the mice has me struggling to find the 3rd Star Coin, because the house only has two rooms before the exit.

Ditto.  I spent at least a half hour trying to figure out how to get into the mouse hole.  I was positive I needed to get in there to get the third star coin.  I tried as mini-Mario.  I tried sliding as Penguin-Mario.  I tried rounding up all the mice into the hole at once.  I tried killing all the mice.  It was a frustrating experience.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: December 04, 2009, 04:07:12 PM »
Did anyone manage to find the secret exit in the ghost house in world 3 without the hint movie (or looking it up online)?
I found it accidentally on my second time through. It isn't the only one that you'll have to discover through dumb luck either.

Not get-the-most-powerful-weapon-in-the-game-by-avoiding-specific-treasure-chests-with-no-in-game hints in Final Fantasy XII ridonculous, but still ridonculous.
Ha ha, Final Fantasy games have some of the most random tasks ever created. I don't know how people managed to figure that stuff out.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: December 04, 2009, 05:19:47 PM »
odd, that same boo house gave me trouble with the FIRST star coin.. I'm currently going back to every stage to get all star coins, when i went to check World 3's boo house (to see if i'd found the secret exit) i saw i already had the third coin. I beat the level with the second star coin, and had to go back to find the first. Wasn't as obvious as you'd think because I didn't hit the P-switch in the first room the way the game intended me to
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1084 on: December 04, 2009, 06:03:35 PM »
What's that mean? There's only one way to hit it...right?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: December 04, 2009, 06:09:26 PM »

which level were we talking about again?? lol... i think i might've confused myself..

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: December 04, 2009, 06:24:49 PM »
You know what I found irritating?

Big Boo's would completely ignore me. They would only stop advancing when player 2 was looking at them. I've had them sail right through me a kill me only stopping the forward assault when Luigi would turn around. WTF is up with that?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: December 04, 2009, 06:30:02 PM »
Big Boo's would completely ignore me. They would only stop advancing when player 2 was looking at them. I've had them sail right through me a kill me only stopping the forward assault when Luigi would turn around. WTF is up with that?
Maybe Big Boo isn't as shy and will blush only if everybody looks at him?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: December 04, 2009, 06:36:33 PM »
Maybe Big Boo isn't as shy and will blush only if everybody looks at him?

Not quite. I would look at Big Boo and Luigi would look at a regular Boo and Big Boo would keep coming at me even though I was jumping up and down infront of it to get at eye level.

The minute Luigi turns around Big Boo stops. Now I go look at mini Boo's and Big Boos is still playing peek-a-boo with Big Boo. It's like I wasn't even there as far as Bog Boo was concerned.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: December 05, 2009, 09:53:18 AM »

No--there are two ways to do it.  The first time I hit it I did it like how I imagine EasyCure did.

The blue P-switch is hidden in a recessed portion on the ceiling.  The game "intends" for you do stand on the floor below which will trigger it to slowly raise until you're close enough to jump and hit the switch.  However, you can also run all the way to the right and then run back, jump on the platform above the door and then jump into the P-switch.  If you're big Mario you'll just barely hit it; if you're small Mario you won't be able to reach.

I used the running/jumping trick to hit the switch the first time.  When I returned to the level the next time to collect the star coins I missed I was small Mario and it took me a little bit to figure out how to hit the switch.  I didn't realize that the floor panels were pressure-sensitive; I thought they just moved up and down at random.  For this reason, I also had a little bit of trouble locating the first star coin.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: December 05, 2009, 11:06:25 AM »
Unlocked and played through stage 7-6 today. It was a total fluke that I found the alternate exit in the fortress, but I am glad I did, because 7-6 is bonkers. Next task: unlock 8-7. I assume that's the skeletal snake rollercoaster that was in the launch trailer. I'm psyched for that one.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #1091 on: December 05, 2009, 11:30:09 AM »
Killer_Man_Jaro you just gave me the clue I needed to find 7-6! I've been looking for it all week- thanks man! I haven't found 8-7 yet but I'll be looking soon.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: December 05, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »
Unlocked and played through stage 7-6 today. It was a total fluke that I found the alternate exit in the fortress, but I am glad I did, because 7-6 is bonkers. Next task: unlock 8-7. I assume that's the skeletal snake rollercoaster that was in the launch trailer. I'm psyched for that one.

wait what?

No--there are two ways to do it.  The first time I hit it I did it like how I imagine EasyCure did.

Bingo, though that was my second play thru. I had this huge post ready explaining this very same thing but by the time i was about to hit Post, i couldn't remember if i was talking about the same level or not.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: December 05, 2009, 03:41:06 PM »

7-6 is a crazy level, and if you didn't already have 99 lives, that is the easiest place to get it.
8-7 was also a pretty fun ride yes, it is the bonercoaster and I played it several times just for the fun of it.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: December 05, 2009, 05:29:35 PM »

7-6 is a crazy level, and if you didn't already have 99 lives, that is the easiest place to get it.
8-7 was also a pretty fun ride yes, it is the bonercoaster and I played it several times just for the fun of it.

I'm confused about 8-7 now.. its obviously not the (and i'm spoilering this just in case) airship level right before bowsers castle right? Cuz it has its own seperate entry when i go check the star coins i've collected for that world... so how the hell do i unlock it!?

A little help with how to unlock 7-6 too! If you guys didn't say anything i woulda went crazy wondering why i didn't receive the "you've collected all star coins" message..
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:31:58 PM by EasyCure »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: December 05, 2009, 05:33:16 PM »

I'm confused about 8-7 now.. its obviously not the (and i'm spoilering this just in case) airship level right before bowsers castle right? Cuz it has its own seperate entry when i go check the star coins i've collected for that world... so how the hell do i unlock it!?

there was a secret path in level 8-2 that takes you on a path underneath the both bridges. I didn't discover it on my own, it's actually revealed in the unlockable gameplay videos.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: December 05, 2009, 05:36:02 PM »

there was a secret path in level 8-2 that takes you on a path underneath the both bridges. I didn't discover it on my own, it's actually revealed in the unlockable gameplay videos.

Sweet thanks. I'lll keep that in mind. World 7 and 8 are the only ones i need to finish getting star coins in.. having the flu sure did increase my gaming time! gimme another hint for unlocking 7-6 and i'll take it from there. Point me in the right direction (ie which stage) and i'll try to find the secret myself.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 05, 2009, 05:47:15 PM »
I don't remember the stage number, so don't read any further unless you want a description of the level.

in the level where you have to ride the for the second half, there is a platform right before the end of the level where there is a yellow pipe at the top of the screen.
there is a stack of coins leading up into it, propeller suit required.
you can see these coins from the pipe exit at the end of the stage.

it is also in the gameplay videos if you wanna see one way to get up into it.
I found it before the video, but I watched the video before I actually made it up into the pipe. I did not get up in the pipe the same way as in the video.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 05, 2009, 05:48:54 PM »
i think i just finished the level you're talking about (which i got my star coins in yesterday but forgot to save!). Thanks for the tip, you're a big help!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 05, 2009, 07:08:29 PM »
I don't remember the stage number, so don't read any further unless you want a description of the level.

in the level where you have to ride the for the second half, there is a platform right before the end of the level where there is a yellow pipe at the top of the screen.
there is a stack of coins leading up into it, propeller suit required.
you can see these coins from the pipe exit at the end of the stage.

it is also in the gameplay videos if you wanna see one way to get up into it.
I found it before the video, but I watched the video before I actually made it up into the pipe. I did not get up in the pipe the same way as in the video.

I have no idea what this all meant now, because i got to 7-6 via (this is getting annoying..) world 7's fortress completely by accident. I kept having a hard time during the second half of the level so i gave up trying to get the last star coin (the one behind the blocks). When i went back i was able to get it, but the platform wasn't in my reach, so i jumped to my far righ trying to get to another landing, and after doging a few enemies in mid-air, stumbled upon the exit. No yellow pipe (that i was aware of) and no need for a propeller suit.

With that said, there is one thing thats been bugging me about W7's Castle, and maybe i just don't have the hint movie unlocked for it yet, but even though i have all the star coins.. what the hell is that exit pipe for right before the boss door? After the long run of spiked pillars, when you arrive at the fat hammer bros. gaurding the door, you can jump up to the right of your left hand wall and hit a hidden power-up box containing the propeller mushroom. If you hover up in that same area, you'll push the clouds away and discover a green pipe, but you can't go in it. I've gone back thru as much of the stage as i could with the propellar suit hoping to find some secret i've missed hidden in the clouds, but theres nothing! It really irks me!

haha just beat world 7-6 on my first try, and got all the star coins. I loved it! guess i found out what that pipe was for ;) One more question though... whats up with mario going sans hat? i got 99 lives for the first time, i'm betting thats it..
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 07:20:57 PM by EasyCure »