Linked Events

• NSMB Wii release: November 15, 2009

Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. Wii  (Read 226833 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
« Reply #450 on: October 19, 2009, 10:19:19 PM »
If anyone is interested, I recommend you look at this video to see some New super Mario bros wii Pro players doing amazing combos. Also shows the full extent of some items, and how you can use more then one person to get a awesome bonus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg7gP7-sQMQ&feature=player_embedded

What the hell makes them pro players when the game's not out?  I never authorized this.

And a note to those of you without local-multi co-op buddies, you won't be doing any amazing combos.

Carry on.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 19, 2009, 10:27:33 PM »
That vid was already posted, douche! /dick
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 19, 2009, 10:43:59 PM »
Uh, let's not forget the pinnacle of Nintendo online gaming; Mario Kart Wii. It works perfectly in my mind. It can be done. Plus NSMBW won't being using crazy stuff like the Havok engine to produce realistic physics.
Mario Kart Wii's online mode works entirely differently than Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

First off, when you play an online game, position data is the only data that's transferred over the Internet. Therefore it doesn't matter what kind of graphics, sound, physics engine, A.I. script, etc. that a game uses, it doesn't affect the amount of data transferred.

In Mario Kart, each player does not need to be perfectly synced up, so you don't really notice the lag if you aren't paying attention. The game tracks the position of where each player is on the course, and will "guess" their position based on their last known velocity and direction of travel. Sometimes you'll notice that a player will fall off a cliff, but then appear right in front of you as if nothing happened. Sometimes people will drive right through items and obstacles without hitting them. That was them lagging. Items are the same way. Red shells take a few seconds prior to contact. Bananas may not be exactly where you set them for someone else's perspective. One shell can hit two players if they're close enough.

Animal Crossing also works similarly.

New Super Mario Brothers Wii can't work this way. All players need to be perfectly synced in time with enemies, moving obstacles, and items like coins. Otherwise, two players could defeat the same enemy, grab the same powerup, or other such double-up effects. Also, a lagging player could inadvertently knock another player off of a cliff, or otherwise interfere with them. Since the game is a side-scroller, the environments are ever-changing, which would cause even more problems.

Miyamoto said it couldn't be done. No offense, but I take his word over anyone here.

Offline ThomasO

• View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #453 on: October 19, 2009, 10:53:47 PM »
Well said.

The Wii also has to lend a great deal of its processing power to handling player input, the graphics, the game physics, and so on. Adding an additional, continuous stream of incoming (and outgoing) data for the Wii to compute and interpret correctly (given that some data might be lost along the way) requires A LOT of power, which the Wii cannot handle without a few sacrifices. I would say it is why Brawl has some bad lag problems-- it is so graphically intense compared to Mario Kart Wii that it is bound to have slow-down when playing players on the other side of the planet. Conduit had to have its graphical intensity toned down in online play so it could handle up to 11 other players elsewhere in the world.

As far as I know, no online system is perfectly flawless. Look at Tetris Party: it's such a simple game, that it might be thought to be error-free. But the lag in that game is often horrendous. Sometimes even when the game ends on your side, the other person seems to continue playing, even for a whole minute! Online gaming isn't as simple as an IM.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:04:26 PM by ThomasO »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 20, 2009, 03:40:00 AM »
In response to Mop it up and ThomasO I have one word: Conduit
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThomasO

• View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #455 on: October 20, 2009, 08:39:04 AM »
Conduit had to have its graphical intensity toned down in online play so it could handle up to 11 other players elsewhere in the world.

Quote from: IGN review
However, I also encountered situations overrun with lag in which on-screen characters would skip around erratically, making maintained matches virtually unplayable.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 20, 2009, 10:03:41 AM »
a note to those of you without local-multi co-op buddies, you won't be doing any amazing combos.

Carry on.

:'(

Anyone wanna come play this at my house??

Anyone..?

/cry
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 20, 2009, 10:19:12 AM »
Maybe we should have a Carmi-meet up again? ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 20, 2009, 10:45:25 AM »
No, my house doesn't smell like ass
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 20, 2009, 11:02:11 AM »
I'm starting to get really hyped for this, and I'm getting the same feeling I got before Galaxy came out, that it just may live up to it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 20, 2009, 11:10:06 AM »
What?  My house doesn't smell like ass!
And we didn't have the Carmi meet-up at my house...

I'm confused...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 20, 2009, 11:34:34 AM »
What?  My house doesn't smell like ass!
And we didn't have the Carmi meet-up at my house...

I'm confused...

Ass/Rape, your house/back alley; same difference.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 20, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
His back alley smelled of rape?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 20, 2009, 11:40:23 AM »
I don't even have a back alley... ?:\

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 20, 2009, 11:47:21 AM »
His back alley smelled of rape?

Considering how creepy he was wen trying to invite me over for new years; probably. And if it wasn't his back alley that smelled like rape, mine surely would.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 20, 2009, 11:53:27 AM »
How do you know what rape smells like?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 20, 2009, 11:59:59 AM »

I just assume it smells like blood and feces

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 20, 2009, 12:03:08 PM »
Yet another thread properly derailed.

Good work team!

Bill would know what rape smelled like
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 20, 2009, 12:03:45 PM »

what happens between a boy and his Uncle is very personal...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 20, 2009, 12:05:51 PM »
I'm scared.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 20, 2009, 12:14:01 PM »
I'm scared.

Serves you right for nipplegate

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 20, 2009, 12:16:10 PM »
So... let's go back on topic.

Do you think the Toads have nipples?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 20, 2009, 12:17:07 PM »
So... let's go back on topic.

Do you think the Toads have nipples?

Probably not, or else they'd be hard as diamonds when venturing off into the icey/snowy lands with just a vest on. I mean c'mon, at least wear a shirt under that thing.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #473 on: October 20, 2009, 12:18:21 PM »
Geez people can't we have a conversation without having it derailed. There is 2 threads for derailing already.

Anyway I think a meet up would be a good idea. There's about a month left till the game releases in the states give or take a few days.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 20, 2009, 12:27:43 PM »
If you were in Cali EasyCure I'd go play at your home. Which reminds me, I'm going to need people to play this with.

I like those super skills videos, the game looked more fluid than any of the latest Sonic games. Well as far as high speed non stop action. I wish nintendo would just steal Sonic from them.

I have to honestly say, I was never one to play any Mario game like that. Where the jumping from enemy to enemy skill is amplifiied to the extreme. I collected everything in Yoshi's island, Mario World, And Sunshine, but I was never good at things like Hitting that koopa shell against the brick stair case in Super Mario Bros to get all those 1 ups. Maybe as a kid I didn't think the risk was worth it. Maybe now'a days i'd try. Sure looked fun though.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn