Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3157939 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Official Wii Sales Thread
« Reply #2950 on: October 18, 2008, 06:16:37 AM »
If Zelda's a platformer than so is Halo, Resident Evil, and every other game in which you control a person.

I thought the definition of a "platformer" was a game where you jump around on platforms and obstacles. Mario is obviously the best example of a plaformer, but Zelda probably also accounts, when you consider Link does do some jumping on platforms in nearly every dungeon he visits...

Is that the case with resident evil or Halo? AFAIK, those games feature no jumping or platforms.
is your sanity...

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: October 18, 2008, 06:19:50 AM »
I'm really classifying a party game as a game that goes out of its way to get several people in a room to play together at one time.  Nintendo takes existing genres and twists them in this direction - Braw (fighter)l, Mario Kart (racer),

Well I'm sorry Lindy, but this classification is pretty piss weak.  I mean fighting games have been multiplayer since Street Fighter II, and I'd assume that could be a "party" to play the game with on other person or a whole group of people waiting for "their turn."  Brawl's "party game" cred is what exactly?  4 players?  And Mario Kart is somehow a "party racer?"  How?  And how is this more "party" than other multiplayer racers?  It needs to be a measurable quantity and any opinion should have roots in more evidence than just saying "Nintendo made this and they're PARTY GAMES ONLY!!!111one1" and working backwards from that.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: October 18, 2008, 06:26:24 AM »
Zelda definitely has platformer elements ya haterz.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: October 18, 2008, 06:34:04 AM »
If Zelda's a platformer than so is Halo, Resident Evil, and every other game in which you control a person.

I thought the definition of a "platformer" was a game where you jump around on platforms and obstacles. Mario is obviously the best example of a plaformer, but Zelda probably also accounts, when you consider Link does do some jumping on platforms in nearly every dungeon he visits...

Is that the case with resident evil or Halo? AFAIK, those games feature no jumping or platforms.

That's how the genre got its name, but I don't think just any game that has jumping and platforms should be labeled a platformer, just like not every game that has characters gain levels and increase stats is an RPG. Like such a game would be said to have RPG elements I would say that Zelda has platforming elements (though I'm not even sure I'd go that far because, as was pointed out, Zelda has no jump button (except Zelda 2 and a couple of the handheld ones)). I narrow the definition of platformers even further myself, but I think that's good enough for a general definition.

DAaaMan64 had to be a jerk and use the term "platformer elements" before I finished typing this.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: October 18, 2008, 09:38:51 AM »
If you want to see charts

Media Create Sales: 10/06 - 10/12

01. [PSP] Macross Ace Frontier (Namco Bandai) 104,000 / NEW
02. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Nintendo) 86,000 / 1,681,000
03. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) 49,000 / 955,000
04. [PS2] Dynasty Warriors 6 Special (KOEI) 48,000 / 157,000
05. [PS2] Super Robot Wars Z (Namco Bandai) 48,000 / 449,000
06. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) 16,000 / 2,722,000
07. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) 10,000 / 1,809,000
08. [PS2] Powerful Major League 3 (Konami) 8,000 / 26,000
09. [NDS] Dragonball DS (Namco Bandai) 8,000 / 123,000
10. [NDS] Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (Nintendo) 8,000 / 383,000

11. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5)
12. [NDS] World Destruction (SEGA)
13. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
14. [WII] One Piece Unlimited Cruise: Episode 1 (Namco Bandai)
15. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
16. [PS2] Sheng L Kinnikuman Muscle Grand Prix 2
17. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (Capcom)
18. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2: The Seven Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
19. [PSP] To Love Ru Trouble (Marvelous)
20. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
21. [PSP] Ikki Tousen: Eloquent Fist (Marvelous)
22. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
23. [NDS] Dragon Quest V (Square Enix)
24. [PSP] Shinobido PSP (Spike)
25. [PS3] Aquanaut's Holiday (SCEI)
26. [NDS] Beautiful Letter Training DS (Nintendo)
27. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship (Konami)
28. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
29. [PSP] Hitman Reborn (Marvelous)
30. [PS2] Kamiyo Gakuen Makorouku Kurunugia (Idea Factory)

TOP30
NDS:12
PS2:6
PSP:6
Wii:5
PS3:1
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: October 18, 2008, 09:48:59 AM »
Wii Music sold 50k on day one.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #2956 on: October 18, 2008, 10:40:02 AM »
I'm really classifying a party game as a game that goes out of its way to get several people in a room to play together at one time.

If that's the definition of a party game, then all console games should be "party" games IMO.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: October 18, 2008, 01:10:56 PM »
I'm really classifying a party game as a game that goes out of its way to get several people in a room to play together at one time.

If that's the definition of a party game, then all console games should be "party" games IMO.

i liked my definition of a party game best.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: October 18, 2008, 01:48:35 PM »
Any game you can play while drunk is a party game.

J.P. Corbran

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: October 18, 2008, 02:36:32 PM »
Doctor is my party game of choice.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: October 18, 2008, 03:25:02 PM »
Hide the pickle is better
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: October 18, 2008, 03:29:20 PM »
Pin the Tail on the Donkey FTW.

BTW, use a real donkey, and tail = your penis.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: October 18, 2008, 03:31:21 PM »
Frat Party Games Volumes 2, 3, and 4 on WiiWare.

J.P. Corbran

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: October 19, 2008, 03:42:35 AM »
We play "pin the tail on the donkes" with a staple gun and a horse, if you stand behind the horse when stapling you lose.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: October 19, 2008, 01:04:23 PM »
Wii has Brawl while other systems have Virtua Fighter 5 and Tekken; Nintendo has Mario Kart Wii while other systems have Gran Turismo and Forza, etc.  Nintendo has more "group-gaming" oriented types of games in most genres.  That's the kind of spin they put on things, because their console leans in that direction and that's what they want to encourage.

And Deg, I never said Nintendo is "PARTY GAMES ONLY!!!111one1" so you can put away your torch and pitchfork for this thread.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: October 19, 2008, 07:49:14 PM »
Interestingly, though, among Super Mario Galaxy, Little Big Planet, and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Galaxy is the least multiplayer focused, and unlike practically all first-person games on the PS3 and 360 (and the rest of the ones on the Wii) Metroid Prime 3 doesn't even have multiplayer.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: October 19, 2008, 08:02:43 PM »
There's exceptions on every system, yeah (Bioshock on 360/PS3 for example).
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: October 20, 2008, 03:03:26 AM »
Wii has Brawl while other systems have Virtua Fighter 5 and Tekken; Nintendo has Mario Kart Wii while other systems have Gran Turismo and Forza, etc.  Nintendo has more "group-gaming" oriented types of games in most genres.  That's the kind of spin they put on things, because their console leans in that direction and that's what they want to encourage.

But what is that exactly?  I mean I see no difference in Virtua Fighter 5 or Tekken 6 or SSBB.  they're all pretty much fighting games, some more important and higher selling than others.  Mario Kart is a diferent game design because of weapons and maybe the atmosphere of Mario, but mainly, it's still a racing game like Forza and Gran Turismo.

And Deg, I never said Nintendo is "PARTY GAMES ONLY!!!111one1" so you can put away your torch and pitchfork for this thread.

Well it's hard not te get that impression, but let me tell you what I would like to know.

The logic is as thus:

1. X makes a party game.
2. Mario Kart has X
3. SSBB has X
4. Therefore, Mario Kart and SSBB are party games.
5. Mario Kart and SSBB are party games.
6. Nintendo makes these games
7. Therefore, Nintendo makes party games.

The problem here is you start at 7 and go backwards.  I want to know what X is, specifically.  How does it "go out of its way" to get several people in the room, other than just being really popular?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: October 20, 2008, 10:05:52 AM »
OH GOD INTEGERS!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: October 20, 2008, 11:46:33 AM »
The first "X" would be the local four-player support.  SSBB has its four-player brawl mode, Mario Kart Wii has four-player splitscreen, Mario Party has what, eight players?  This is what gives these games the "party game" atmosphere I'm talking about.  Note that I'm not saying these ARE party games, but the fact that 4-player is a key aspect of their design means that they encourage getting a group of people together in one room and having at it.

You can't say that about VF5, Tekken, Gran Turismo, or Forza.  Yes, you can get several people together in a room and play those games (like you can with ANY game), but their design doesn't encourage it.

The second "X" would be the "arcade" feel.  Brawl and Mario Kart Wii aren't trying to be realistic reproductions of the action they're presenting, while VF5 and Gran Turismo especially are, as well as Tekken and Forza.  While they have fantastical elements, they don't allow you to run around bonking people with a Donkey Kong hammer or throw turtle shells at people.  They're intentionally trying to be silly.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: October 20, 2008, 12:41:36 PM »
The first "X" would be the local four-player support.  SSBB has its four-player brawl mode, Mario Kart Wii has four-player splitscreen, Mario Party has what, eight players?  This is what gives these games the "party game" atmosphere I'm talking about.  Note that I'm not saying these ARE party games, but the fact that 4-player is a key aspect of their design means that they encourage getting a group of people together in one room and having at it.

You can't say that about VF5, Tekken, Gran Turismo, or Forza.  Yes, you can get several people together in a room and play those games (like you can with ANY game), but their design doesn't encourage it.

The second "X" would be the "arcade" feel.  Brawl and Mario Kart Wii aren't trying to be realistic reproductions of the action they're presenting, while VF5 and Gran Turismo especially are, as well as Tekken and Forza.  While they have fantastical elements, they don't allow you to run around bonking people with a Donkey Kong hammer or throw turtle shells at people.  They're intentionally trying to be silly.

Games like Tekken and VF 5 are actually made for groups of people competing and were originally ARCADE games.  You don't mean arcade feel in the slightest, these kinds of racers and fighting games are stereotypical arcade games.

Do you put Halo under the party game umbrella?  Four players and the first one didn't even have online.  Mutlitplayer games have been around for a long time.  People have lan parties with games, but that doesn't make it a party game.

You call them party games (or "party game atmosphere") for one of two reasons 1. They are easily accessible to a newcomer (The freaking Nintendo philosophy) or 2. They are cartoony (aka they are not realistic).

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: October 20, 2008, 02:14:42 PM »
I'd agree with that.  It's a bunch of factors, but accessibility and aesthetics play a huge part.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: October 20, 2008, 02:29:30 PM »
Or (like i said before..)

3. A game specifically made to be multiplayer oriented and/or leans more toward a social gameplay experience vs a single player experience.

A perfect example of this is Mario Party (has party in the freakin title), a game that is much better played with friends rather than you vs the CPU players.

Now it doesnt have to be a mini game compilation to be a party game, but those are usually what comes to mind. Yes, wii does have alot of these types of games (see: party games) BUT it still has plenty of different genres as to not overwhelm the platform one way or another.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: October 21, 2008, 04:41:55 PM »
I still don't know if I'm satisfied.

4-player games have actually been around for a long time, and like SixthAngel says, several... I suppose the term would be "non-party" games... like Halo and such have them. 

A lack of realism also can't work because of games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero, 2 games almost always referred to as "party games" and they are all about realistically portraying rock 'n' roll.

I mean I agree, SSBB and Mario Kart are always busted out AT parties, but that doesn't necessarily make them "party games," particularly with their new online modes. 

I dunno if aesthetics is a good reason because, like I said, Rock Band and such, nor accessibility because there are very simple single player games out there as well as complex multiplayer games (like, say, Starcraft.)  I'm just not understanding why Mario KArt and SSBB are labeled "party" games.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: October 21, 2008, 04:44:14 PM »
Mario Sunshine and MP3=Party Games CONFIRMED
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144