Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 278036 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (The early days)
« Reply #900 on: January 19, 2018, 06:17:04 PM »
I wasn't really sure where to put this.

I pre-ordered Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition for Switch. I don't get to transfer my backer rewards from the Wii U version, but they were mostly cosmetic: blue costume for Shantae, classic Risky Boots (red/black palette swap), and the Light Drifter Blade. I'm double dipping and paying the Switch tax to support Wayforward Technologies and to have a physical copy.

I also pre-ordered Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Switch though keeping the pre-order is conditional. It's currently priced at $60, and I don't know if that's an Amazon placeholder. It was $50 on Wii U, and it's a four year old game. I was expecting like $40. Funky Mode is not worth the extra money. I'm glad it was added for novice players, but I will stubbornly refuse to use it. If the price doesn't drop before release, I'll cancel this pre-order and wait for a sale.

Bayonetta 2 is also listed as $60. I most likely would have paid the Switch tax if Bayonetta 1 was also included as a physical card or if this was a compilation on a single card. I don't like the split physical/digital releases. To download Bayonetta 1, I would have to buy a micro SD card, and I don't want to do that.

I'm also considering Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition except my brother doesn't want to start from the beginning. He's waffling because he wants to try the Legends DLC characters I didn't buy. I don't really like musou games. I only play them because my brother likes them so I'm not playing this without him. I admit I liked Hyrule Warriors more than Fire Emblem Warriors because I have more of an attachment to the characters in the former.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: February 15, 2018, 08:26:18 AM »
Nintendo Says EA Satisfied With FIFA Switch Sale, More To Come

Whatever you think of EA (e.g. the people who run it are anti-consumer money snakes), this is still a good thing for Switch.

Obligatory NBA Jam and Star Wars begging.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: February 15, 2018, 08:35:04 AM »
Excellent news. I would have had a hard time readjusting to having to play FIFA through the TV.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #903 on: February 15, 2018, 10:37:59 AM »
I'd really like to see a new NBA Jam.  And NFL Blitz, while they're at it.  I think the out-of-the-box multiplayer of the Switch would work really well with both.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: February 15, 2018, 10:54:36 AM »
I also pre-ordered Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Switch though keeping the pre-order is conditional. It's currently priced at $60, and I don't know if that's an Amazon placeholder. It was $50 on Wii U, and it's a four year old game. I was expecting like $40. Funky Mode is not worth the extra money. I'm glad it was added for novice players, but I will stubbornly refuse to use it. If the price doesn't drop before release, I'll cancel this pre-order and wait for a sale.

I gotta say, as much as I would get this game on Switch, the local used game shop has Wii U copies on the shelf for $15...Unless you really value the portability that much, you might want to see what the original game copies are going for in your area.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: February 15, 2018, 02:15:08 PM »
I'd really like to see a new NBA Jam.  And NFL Blitz, while they're at it.  I think the out-of-the-box multiplayer of the Switch would work really well with both.

Man, a $20-$30 downloadable version, or a $50 combo digital pack for Jam and Blitz would be awesome and always ready to play. I'd be on that day 1.

But can Nintendo please release a cheaper portable dock, or does anyone know of a quality 3rd party travel dock that actually cost what it's worth?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: February 15, 2018, 02:55:08 PM »

Man, a $20-$30 downloadable version, or a $50 combo digital pack for Jam and Blitz would be awesome and always ready to play. I'd be on that day 1.

But can Nintendo please release a cheaper portable dock, or does anyone know of a quality 3rd party travel dock that actually cost what it's worth?

It looks like there's an option from best buy that seems kind of compelling from a form factor and that it comes with a power cord/HDMI, never had hands-on with it though. 

It seems like Amazon is littered with options too, but I haven't found a resource that is reviewing this stuff regularly.  I was hopeful for the Nyko one, but all the input i've seen about that one has been pretty negative.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (Nearing Year 2)
« Reply #907 on: February 16, 2018, 12:53:22 AM »
Nintendo Says EA Satisfied With FIFA Switch Sale, More To Come

Whatever you think of EA (e.g. the people who run it are anti-consumer money snakes), this is still a good thing for Switch.

Obligatory NBA Jam and Star Wars begging.

So if they sold 73k physical in France, whadda ya think worldwide? 250k? 350k including digital?

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: February 16, 2018, 07:22:02 AM »
250k sounds like a good number.

Honeslty I don't know what any other EA games you could bring to Switch. The easiest (and safest) choice seems to be Madden.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: February 16, 2018, 08:30:54 AM »
I gotta say, as much as I would get this game on Switch, the local used game shop has Wii U copies on the shelf for $15...Unless you really value the portability that much, you might want to see what the original game copies are going for in your area.
I already have Tropical Freeze on Wii U. I'd like to put my Wii U away or even trade it in. Normally, I wouldn't do this, but Switch is getting many of its predecessor's best games. I'm more likely to play them on Switch. I haven't fully committed to it. Had Switch gotten a physical copy of Bayonetta 1 as well, this would have been a lot easier.
Honeslty I don't know what any other EA games you could bring to Switch. The easiest (and safest) choice seems to be Madden.
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney was pressuring EA to get something Star Wars on Switch. Otherwise, EA is licking its lips in anticipation of releasing a bunch of relatively quick PS3/360 era remasters on the platform. At E3, EA CEO, Andrew Wilson, will immediately turn into the smug emoji on stage and triumphantly proclaim, "We're excited to announce that Nintendo fans will finally be able to enjoy these new (to them) experiences."
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:06:25 AM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: February 16, 2018, 08:56:33 AM »
I'd gladly take Mass Effect Trilogy on Switch.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #911 on: February 16, 2018, 09:56:35 AM »

I really don't see why they couldn't put both out for $30 each.  I would just hope they put out roster updates for the games.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: February 17, 2018, 09:11:48 AM »
Besides NBA Jam coming back for its 25th anniversary, roster updates are the only thing I want from the base game. EA tried to include extra modes in the 2010 version, but they weren’t that good and honestly, the game doesn’t need them. $30 for regular arcade mode with the special teams/players seems fair.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: February 17, 2018, 10:19:35 AM »
NFL Blitz isn't going to happen unless EA makes it...I think it's better if EA just gets out of the video game business.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 03, 2018, 01:17:43 PM »
So, one year in, what are your thoughts on the Nintendo Switch? The past year has been one of the best for my personal tastes in gaming: the most time-consuming and organic Zelda title to date in BotW, a lower skill-ceiling fighter in ARMS, a large balance patch in Splatoon 2, a return to absurd FPS in DooM, one of the best combat systems in a JRPG in Xenoblade 2, and even a shitty Mario game. That's not even accounting for the number of indie titles that have been extremely high quality- Master Blaster Zero, SteamWorld Dig 2, Snipperclips, and even a shitty Sonic game.

While Switch has had (in my opinion) the strongest launch year in Nintendo history, it's future is certainly uncertain, as the focus on build-your-own peripherals, strong emphasis on third party ports rather than new content, and mediocre first party software lineup leave a bit to be desired. While some might argue that the best Wii U titles are great additions to the current library, they're still old news, much like the numerous ports on display from third parties. Likewise, Kirby and Yoshi are hardly standout titles, and with no landmark titles on the horizon (even accounting for a a Smash 4 port, an uncertain Pokemon Switch, and potential Pikmin and *snort* Metroid Prime 4), the Switch's second year seems primed to be something of a lull.

Still, it's hard to argue that, on the whole, the system boasts an already impressive library that easily surpasses the Wii U. If a continued momentum is any hope, however, Nintendo needs to start dropping some more substantial hints at new quality experiences, rather than ports and far-off sequels.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: March 03, 2018, 02:09:02 PM »
It's way too early to come to any conclusions about the 2018 software library. There's likely to be a ton of stuff coming out this year that we don't know anything about yet. If you're judging it against last year it'll probably be somewhat disappointing, but that'll likely be more of a testament to how amazing of a 2017 Switch had than a criticism of 2018.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #916 on: March 03, 2018, 02:16:11 PM »
The first year of the Switch was great.  But it does feel like all the biggest titles you want from Nintendo are out already (except for Metroid and Retro's mystery project), so year 2 looks not quite as exciting.  In fact, the thing I think I'm looking most forward to is the online, if only just to settle the collective anxiety.  And also there's the Switch rewards coming this year too, right?  That's not to say that I'm not appropriately hyped for announced titles.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 03, 2018, 02:22:41 PM »
Of what Nintendo has currently announced for 2018, only Fire Emblem Switch and Yoshi Switch seem slated for the second half of the year. Those aren't the only games they'll release in that window, and it would be shocking if they tried to position those as their big holiday games, so it stands to reason that there will be landmark titles released later in the year.

It's also worth keeping in mind that there's currently only one significant Nintendo EPD project announced for 2018: Nintendo Labo. I highly doubt that's the only big project we get from them this year. Perhaps the rest of their output will largely target the same (or a similar) demographic as Nintendo Labo, so it may not matter to a lot of people here anyway, but that remains to be seen. One way or another, I'm still reasonably confident that 2018 will end up being a really good year for Switch (both from a first-party perspective and overall).

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 05, 2018, 01:05:16 AM »
The key thing for the Switch was that it needed a hot start.  Nintendo has had a success in the post-SNES era when their consoles have a strong start to build an audience.  Then even if things cool off a bit that early momentum carries things along.  Consoles create a rep early in their life and once it's established it's hard to lose, good or bad.  The Gamecube and Wii U are Nintendo's flops and they had rough starts - early releases that weren't quite impressive enough to sell systems and post-launch droughts.  The Switch has two legitimate hits in Zelda and Mario.  I think it's going to be fine even if 2018 ends up being a weak year for releases.  And third party support is improving instead of third parties fleeing like they did on the Wii U.

For Nintendo to **** this up now would require them to either really screw the pooch with their online plans or do an insanely bad job with their next round of games - like an unheard of combination of poorly made games with themes and concepts no one is interested in.  Like it COULD be done but it would be very unexpected.  Even Nintendo just making competent but unspectacular sequels to their franchises would probably keep the Switch going along fine.  I think they almost have to TRY to screw up what the Switch has built to derail things now.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 05, 2018, 01:56:23 AM »
I think they almost have to TRY to screw up what the Switch has built to derail things now.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 05, 2018, 02:29:19 AM »
Yup, they got the engine kickstarted this time and it'll play out fine. Lots of eclectic stuff like Outlast and Elder Scrolls and an indie stampede, rumored South Park port, Dragon Ball Z, Ridger Racer, whatever, there's clearly a virtuous cycle of software response and it'll keep up unless there's some weird disastrous turn like a RROD equivalent down the line. The easy, uniform portable console pitch has worked. The Shield and other also-rans (including the WiiU!) lack the design heft, network effects, simplicity, and software incentives to be really viable, and I think Nintendo at a critical time has demonstrated that there's a market for non-graphically-cutting-edge titles that can be played on the go that also wouldn't be possible/wouldn't work nearly as well on smartphones or tablets. 

I'm actually more worried about secular design trends regarding game-service titles, microstransactions, bad RPG/loot mechanics, etc. that Nintendo has slowly been edging up on.

To be clear, I'm not being super Pollyanna-ish here. My initial (broad) projection was that the Switch would fall in between the 64 and the 3DS, so around 30-70 million. Before launch I would have tilted toward the 64, which given that Switch was supposed to be consolidating handheld and console operations, would have been discouraging. But now I bet it'll get closer to the 3DS! Which be just okay enough and hopefully not encourage more focus on mobile!

A potential upshot that just occurred to me is that Nintendo is now on a much more standard chipset, and a mobile-oriented one at that. There's actually a pretty big cross-over incentive for third parties to down-port titles, as it's giving them experience on optimizing games for a platform they might not have otherwise. There's kind of a growing emerge of "library titles" that get put out on every platform and maintain value, and a 2020 big-phone or whatever could have a Switch-derived Doom on it. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 02:56:11 AM by MagicCow64 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 05, 2018, 10:07:19 AM »
My opinion on Switch hasn’t changed much since the six month thread I created. My library is almost as expected though I cancelled my Xenoblade Chronicles 2 pre-order and picked up Rocket League.

Games I own:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Cave Story+
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Axiom Verge: Multiverse Edition
Fire Emblem Warriors
Rocket League
Kamiko

Games I've pre-ordered:
Indivisible (2018)
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2018/2019)
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Ultimate Day One Edition (2018)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (2018)
The World Ends With You: Final Remix (2018)
Project Octopath Traveler (2018)

I don’t personally have a problem with Switch’s current 2018 release schedule, but I totally get the people who do. I fit in gaming when I can so I have plenty to play based on my habits and availability. I still have to download Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King. At the risk of being mocked and shamed, I admit I’m not even finished Breath of the Wild (though I have finished Super Mario Odyssey).

Switch is doing far better than I expected, and I had a positive outlook. Nintendo won’t get full third party support,  but it has been consistent. Third parties are making the effort more often than not. Square Enix was exploring trying to port Final Fantasy XV. That’s progress. I expect Switch to continue performing well even if Nintendo doesn’t have anything close to a brand new Mario or Zelda scheduled for 2018. We’ll see it trickle announcements in Nintendo Directs and announce new games at E3. Nintendo got past the difficult part. Switch is a must-own platform to a lot of people based on its first year alone. Now, it’s about maintaining and not doing anything silly.

EDIT: I bought Kamiko yesterday partially with My Nintendo points.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 09:14:15 AM by Adrock »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Re: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 2: Joy-Con Boogaloo)
« Reply #922 on: March 07, 2018, 09:12:58 AM »
Nintendo just announced a Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 5:00 PM EST.

About 30 minutes, focusing on Switch and 3DS titles releasing this year. Mario Tennis Aces name drop.

I’m not expecting a bombshell. I’d love to be surprised though.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #923 on: March 07, 2018, 09:45:21 AM »
I think there's a reasonable chance of a big drop at this direct, though probably in the form of a tease, with more to come at E3.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 07, 2018, 09:53:17 AM »
Diablo III? After the Twitter tease, a source apparently confirmed a port, though said source also said they were surprised by the tease as the reveal was supposedly “several months off.â€