Author Topic: DSi and DSi XL dropping in price on May 20th  (Read 7687 times)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
DSi and DSi XL dropping in price on May 20th
« on: May 10, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »
Looks like DSi will only be $100 and the XL will be $130.

Nintendo DSi drops to $100, DSi XL drops to $130 on May 20th   By Mat Smith posted May 10th 2012 2:15PM        
Nintendo DSi and DSi XL price drop
Three-dimensional gaming not your thing? Then Nintendo's latest price drop might just grab you. It's cast an eye over the rest of its portable gaming family and decided to cut the cost on both the DSi (down to $100) and the hulking DSi XL (dropped to $130). These new prices will kick off on May 20th -- exactly the same day as this purple mess.
I may actually get one now that the price is this low.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: DSi and DSi XL dropping in price on May 20th
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 02:51:56 PM »
Prices drop on same day as purple 3DS is released and same day as Mario Tennis Open is released.
That's...odd. You'd think Nintendo wouldn't want to compete with itself like that, or cannibalize its own 3DS sales.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »
I think they might be trying to send a signal to consumers that the DSi/XL are inferior hardware.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 03:44:57 PM »
Subtle. Probably too subtle.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 03:48:17 PM »
Perhaps, but Nintendo still has in-store displays that can let customers see the difference.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 02:34:00 AM »
too bad i already finished my DS backlog. I still irrationally want to buy a dsi XL though. here's hoping that the next ds is a 3ds XL -_-

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 02:45:55 AM »
There are more DS games coming out, you know.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 08:21:08 AM »
There are more DS games coming out, you know.

the question is whether or not it justifies buying a dsi xl or just waiting for the eventual 3ds revision. when you look at it that way its obvious i should wait since i already have a working ds lite and don't own a 3ds.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 12:11:41 AM »
The DSiXL is too big...but it looks a lot better than the 3DS. I'm amazed at how stupid the 3DS actually looks, it looks like a prototype.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 12:25:20 AM »
The 3DS looks practically the same as the DSi.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 12:38:12 AM »
Not at all...not at all. It's fucking hideous. The top screen goes all the way down to the hinge, with a huge gap above it, screens have different aspect ratios, the top sticks out further than the bottom when closed, beveled edges, little square hole for the notification LED, different colored bezel around the cartridge slot. It really looks like a huge step backwards as far as body design is concerned. The top of the bottom half is the only part that looks good...aside from the square power button and the stupid SELECT/HOME/START keys. I don't know...it probably looks even worse because I have the stupid teal one.

It's still a rad little handheld though.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:40:06 AM by Brandogg »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 12:42:05 AM »
I don't know, I love the design. It just looks pleasing to my eyes. Not as sexy as the Vita, but still.

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 12:49:18 AM »
Not at all...not at all. It's fucking hideous. The top screen goes all the way down to the hinge, with a huge gap above it, screens have different aspect ratios, the top sticks out further than the bottom when closed, beveled edges, little square hole for the notification LED, different colored bezel around the cartridge slot. It really looks like a huge step backwards as far as body design is concerned. The top of the bottom half is the only part that looks good...aside from the square power button and the stupid SELECT/HOME/START keys. I don't know...it probably looks even worse because I have the stupid teal one.

It's still a rad little handheld though.
I have the Zelda edition 3DS, while my younger brother has the Flame Red unit, and they both look really nice. The Zelda version is especially nice, since it has gold trim wherever there's silver on a regular unit, in addition to having a nicer looking color gradient on the layers.
3DS Friend Code: 2363-5672-8390

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 01:00:49 AM »
Yeah, I've got a feeling that my ugly teal 3DS makes me resent it even more.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 01:02:50 AM »
You'll be happy to know that Nintendo is discontinuing that color.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 01:09:39 AM »
I'll only be happy if they exchange mine. I don't even care if I lose the ambassador stuff.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 07:22:47 AM »
Not at all...not at all. It's fucking hideous.
While I wouldn't go as far as to call it "hideous," I agree with the sentiment that it's definitely a step backwards, especially compared to the DSi. Personally, I find the DSi to be the pinnacle of Nintendo's body design thus far.

I would definitely get a 3DS XL, regardless of if they improve the body design. DSi XL is a bit big but I dig the larger screens.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 10:46:42 AM »
for me the appeal isnt so much the screens but its just the larger size since playing my ds lite usually makes my hands cramp since i have big hands. im not concerned that it's "too big" since i usually play my handhelds at home as if it were just a 2nd console
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:49:39 AM by Lithium »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »
I just emailed Nintendo to ask politely if they'll let me send in my 3DS and swap it out for a black one...we'll see what happens. I don't expect them to go along with it, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they did.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 08:26:36 PM »
They said no :(

My email:
I have a Nintendo 3DS that I got at the system's launch. There is nothing actually wrong with the system, other than I have always hated that I purchased the Aqua Blue system. I see that those are now discontinued (so it seems I'm not the only person that doesn't like the color or regrets buying one in that color)...what are the chances I can send it in to you and you can send me a black one (or even Zelda Edition) in return? Looking forward to your response.

Thank you,

Brandon Booth

Their response:
Hello Brandon,

Thanks for contacting us.  We appreciate your interest in getting another color of the Nintendo 3DS.  I know this may not be what you're wanting to hear, Nintendo doesn’t sell products directly to the public, nor do we have a exchange program, so we soul be unable to exchange your system for another color.

However, certain retailers will offer to take your current system and put its value towards the purchase of a Nintendo 3DS.  Just so you know, Nintendo is not involved with such offers, either directly or indirectly. 

If that’s what you’re planning to do, and you have downloaded content through the Nintendo eShop, here's some information you need to know.  With the latest system update, we’ve added the ability to transfer content from one Nintendo 3DS to another.  Data is transferred via local wireless communication which requires having both systems present to complete the transfer.   

All content downloaded via the eShop on both systems (DSiWare, Ambassador games and status, 3DS Downloadable software, etc) will be combined together onto the target system.  This is the only way to transfer content between systems.

In regard to the available system colors, it may interest you to know that the Aqua Blue Nintendo 3DS has not been discontinued, this system is still being shipped and sold at retailers here in North America. 

That being said, I want to thank you for taking the time to write to us with your feedback regarding the Aqua Blue color Nintendo 3DS.   I can certainly understand your thoughts on this matter and want you to know how much we appreciate you sending them in.  I also want to assure you that your comments will be added to our records and made available for other departments at the company to use as they see fit.

Sincerely,

Jessica Smith
Nintendo of America Inc.

That was certainly quick and friendly though.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 08:52:21 PM »
You could always swap out the shell on the system. It's not like you don't have the know-how. I did that with my ds lite and the zelda edition for that. Although in many cases it will be a chinese knockoff it looks exactly the same, just keep the buttons that the 3ds came with when you do a swap.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:53:55 PM by Lithium »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 11:50:39 PM »
Yeah I've swapped cases before, it's a pain in the ass (mainly due to the top LCD's flex cable). Never dismantled a 3DS though...seems like it would be fun.

Edit - yeah, just watched a video on disassembly, looks on par with the DSi XL, if not worse. Screw that. Maybe I'll just buy one, transfer the stuff, and sell mine...or just live with it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:54:08 PM by Brandogg »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 09:08:51 AM »
I'm amazed at how stupid the 3DS actually looks, it looks like a prototype.

Maybe that's no coincidence.

I mean it is no secret Nintendo did rush to get the 3DS out before it was truly ready.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 09:38:56 AM »
Ehh, I think the design was deliberate. You don't have to rush something for it to be bad. Like I said above, I don't think the 3DS is hideous. It's just worse than DSi/DSi XL.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 03:57:02 PM »
Ehh, I think the design was deliberate. You don't have to rush something for it to be bad. Like I said above, I don't think the 3DS is hideous. It's just worse than DSi/DSi XL.

Maybe you are right and they deliberately designed it to be ugly and unappealing so that people would be more inclined to buy the revision a couple years later and then Nintendo can have more sales? ;) That would be genius if that's true...

Let's not forget the original DS Phat was considered pretty ugly as well. It had a cheap plastic children's toy look about it. A lot of people hated it... I was okay with it though. I got many good years of use out of it before I finally got suckered into buying the dead end DSi system. The DSi seems like a system that never should have been released. Its half way between a plain revision and a full blown new system, and then the 3DS came out like a year later. Ugh....
is your sanity...