Author Topic: Reduced-Price Wii Console Bundle and Nintendo Selects Officially Announced  (Read 3772 times)

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer

Mario Kart Wii console bundles and Nintendo Selects titles coming to North America May 15 and to Europe May 20.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26225

New, cheaper Wii console bundles as well as a new line of discount Wii titles called “Nintendo Selects” will be arriving in stores in the next few weeks, both Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe confirmed.

The new bundles will include a black or white Wii console, a copy of Mario Kart Wii, a Wii Remote Plus, a Nunchuk controller, and a Wii Wheel that will match the color of the hardware. The new Mario Kart bundle will retail for $149.99 in North America, while in Europe, the existing Wii Sports Resort Pack will see a price reduction.

The Nintendo Selects titles are budget titles that will retail for $19.99 in America and in Europe at a reduced price. The North American titles include The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Animal Crossing: City Folk, Mario Super Sluggers, and Wii Sports. In Europe, Wii Sports, Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, Mario Strikers Charged Football and Animal Crossing: Let's Go To The City will be available under the new discounted line of software. The new console bundles and Nintendo Selects titles will launch on May 15 in North America and on May 20 in Europe.

Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
"Let's Go to the City."  That's just...hmmm...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Wonder why the games are different between regions?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
I be surprised if they weren't.  Different regions different games sold better.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
The European line includes... Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

thebird.jpg
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
Wonder why the games are different between regions?

The change in sports titles make senses. Football/soccer is popular in Europe, but not in America. Baseball is popular in America, but not in Europe (and I'm not even sure if Super Sluggers was released here anyway).

Otherwise, it is a little perplexing. I'm surprised that there aren't more titles for the initial line-up. I'm also surprised that Wii Sports is offered on this line despite being a bundled game in both continents.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
Wii Sports is being offered for all of those whose first Wii is the Mario Kart bundle. So in that case, its for almost nobody.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
removing the game that's synonymous with the system makes little sense to me.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
I would like to find a decently priced copy of Excite Truck...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
I would like to find a decently priced copy of Excite Truck...
Excitebot :D  Seriously if you liked Excite Truck.  Do yourself a favor and get Excite Bot.  Its great.  I should pick up Excite Truck one day.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Nintendo Selects sounds so formal, what was wrong with Player's Choice?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
YOU NO CHOOSE. NINTENDO CHOOSE.

Offline SilverQuilava

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
ugh. is it too much to ask for Mario Kart Wii to be in the Nintendo Select titles? come on.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
ugh. is it too much to ask for Mario Kart Wii to be in the Nintendo Select titles? come on.

Yes. It still selling like unclebob's homemade hotcakes.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Nintendo Selects sounds so formal, what was wrong with Player's Choice?

Because in many cases the games on the GC that were called "Player's Choice" weren't really games that Player's had "Chosen". That was why they were added to the budget release, because they weren't selling at full price. Some games that got put on the "Player's Choice" lineup were a joke, because they weren't well received by either consumers or critics.

So calling them "Nintendo Select" is very accurate and appropriate, because these are games Nintendo Selects for budget release. They aren't necessarily the Greatest Hits of the Wii library. There are different reasons why they are added to this Budget line. Maybe its because they sold poorly and Nintendo wanted to give them another chance? Maybe they sold great at one time but have since slacked off the charts? Maybe its a game made by a 3rd party that Nintendo Selects because that 3rd party asks them to? There's no one single reason why a game might get put in this lineup, but in all cases its because Nintendo Selected it... so, ergo... Nintendo Select.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:32:50 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
Still sounds like Cheese or Cereal.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
But good cheese and good cereal.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Chozo I seem to recall the Player's choice games had to have a certain amount of the games sold for it to be eligible for the Players Choice line.  So in essence the players did chose them since they did make them sell a certain amount.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Well, what he says is somewhat true. During the GameCube era, Nintendo lowered the amount of copies a game needed to sell to be eligible for Player's Choice status, it was 400k down from one million. So the games still had to sell decently enough, but much less than on previous systems. They also allowed third-party titles in on the line, where I believe previously only Nintendo-published titles could reach the status.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
There probably was some bar in order for a game to be eligible for Player's Choice. The problem was that bar wasn't very high.... The GC era was a sad time for Nintendo because the GC sold poorly and there weren't a lot of million sellers. Even among 1st party titles the sales were disappointing most of the time... So the bar had to be lowered, because otherwise there wasn't much that could be considered Player's Choice if they continued to go by the standard used for the SNES and N64.
is your sanity...

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
removing the game that's synonymous with the system makes little sense to me.

Actually, it makes perfect sense.  A lot of casual gamers who picked up the Wii played Wii Sports and absolutely nothing else, so they never felt the need to actually go out and buy any other game.  I'm sure Nintendo was really frustrated at that, because on one hand they made a really great entertainment package that consumers saw a lot of value in, but on the other, it was a little too complete, because the casual gamers had all that they wanted.

With Mario Kart, they're going to get a lot of people who buy that, play Mario Kart, and then say "Well, what about that sports thing everyone was going on about?" 

The danger, of course, is the possibility that because Wii Sports isn't included, people won't buy the system.   Once again, this is casual gamers we're talking about.  When my 2nd daughter was being born, we had to send our oldest to my parents for 3 or 4 days.  So they wouldn't get bored, I also took over my Wii and about 10 games, all the casual games I had (Just Dance, Wii Party, etc..).  The only games that were played were Just Dance Kids (my daughter) and Wii Sports (my parents and my kid).  My parents even asked to keep the Wii for another week so they could play more Wii Sports.

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!