Author Topic: Everybody Was Clay-Fu Fighting  (Read 1974 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Everybody Was Clay-Fu Fighting
« on: October 07, 2010, 02:58:34 AM »

A worm becomes a space hero, Street Fighter meets claymation and Nintendo's most popular characters fight each other in this grand return of Virtual Console recommendations.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/recommendations/24179

After a lengthy absence, the Virtual Console Recommendations feature is back at Nintendo World Report. Today, we will take a look at three games released on the Virtual Console service and offer up a recommendation based on how these games stand up to today's standards. If you're new to the site, here's how the recommendations work:

Recommended for EveryoneThis is a game that stands out as an excellent title which has passed the test of time.  A game recommended for everyone can be counted on to provide a fun experience even years or decades after its original release.

Recommended for FansThis is a game that may still appeal to fans of the game from its original release, or perhaps fans of games in the same genre, but might not appeal to someone playing the game for the first time today.

Not RecommendedThis is a game that, despite any hype or nostalgia value that the game might have once earned, it simply doesn't hold up any longer.   These are games that are hard to recommend to even the staunchest fans of the genre.

Today's recommendations are brought to you by Staff Writers Pedro Hernandez and Zach Miller. It's time to fire up the old Wii Shop Channel and give these games another shot at fame and fortune before they become vintage again.

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Everybody Was Clay-Fu Fighting
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 03:52:03 AM »
Interesting, the actual games don't show in the forums.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:29:01 AM »
What gets me is that they used the Genesis Clay Fighter instead of either of the SNES ones.
Mission...complete?

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 12:23:22 PM »
The version of Earthworm Jim that is available on Virtual Console is the Sega Genesis version and not the SNES one.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 02:41:53 PM »
Has it ever been explained why developers often release the Genesis version of their games on the Virtual Console? In many cases the SNES version is superior to the Genesis version, so why go with that version instead?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 02:51:29 PM »
I can't believe Clay Fighter is recommended for anyone. The combos are a nightmare to pull off and there's no save (at least in the SNES version). Maybe these aren't an issue on the Genesis?

Good to have the VC reviews back.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 06:03:36 PM »
I'm surprised Earthworm Jim was recommended for everyone, the game is pretty hard, the control is poor, and the level designs are cheap. Almost every other SNES platformer holds up much better.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 07:41:06 PM »
I do have issue with some of the levels, but I think the platforming stages are pretty amazing from an art direction and level design perspective. The game's certainly not perfect, but I'll be damned it if isn't original and worth experiencing for those who haven't.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.