Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption  (Read 5113 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Red Dead Redemption
« on: May 29, 2010, 02:08:22 PM »
Played this last night, very impressive sandbox game. The story telling is surprisingly well done for a Rock Star game. It's also very pretty. Draw distance is even better than Assassin's Creed.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 06:01:14 PM »
Played this last night, very impressive sandbox game. The story telling is surprisingly well done for a Rock Star game. It's also very pretty. Draw distance is even better than Assassin's Creed.

It was either this or Monster Hunter Tri for me, guess I'll have something to look forward to in the future.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 06:35:59 PM »
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 10:26:11 PM »
I've been playing this one for about a week now and I must say I'm also impressed. Even though it's clearly built on the GTA IV engine and much of the gameplay is similar, the setting and characters really give it a different feel. Quite honestly, RDR is leagues better than GTA IV and its Episodes. The characters are can be related to, the dialog is intelligent and fitting, and it feels fresh and new.

I can't say it totally earns the 10/10 it has been given, but it is a very good game worthy of your dollars.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 12:10:51 AM »
10/10 is that what Pixlbit gave it?

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 03:05:07 AM »
Guess I should've been more specific -  A number of outlets have been giving it 10/10. Personally, I haven't settled on a score just yet, but it is very good. I'll probably put in a few more hours before the extended weekend is over and throw up a review.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 01:15:13 PM »
Those are also the same outlets that gave MGS4 and GTA4 10s as well.

Yeah, I'll wait for PixlBit to give it's review.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 04:32:24 PM »
I'd give it three hearty pails of sand and a moat, personally.

That said, I've never played the game.  I find sandboxes are more fun than sandbox games for me.

Really?  I can definitely see how the setting could create and incredible experience, depending on how it was done.

Still not gonna touch it.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 04:11:15 PM »
It actually isn't getting as many 10/10 as GTA4 did, a fact which boggled my mind at first, until I realized that there were probably moneyhats involved in a lot of the GTA reviews, and that there are still people who swear Goldeneye is better than Perfect Dark.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 04:55:32 PM »
I'm not the biggest sandbox fan, but I would rank this as one of the better Sandbox games of the last few years.

1. Godfather Black Hand Edition
2. Crackdown
3. Bully
4. Red Dead Redemption (but I really should play it more)

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 06:03:17 PM »
To many big name games are getting perfect reviews, despite not deserving them.

But that's for another time.
I'm wondering if this would be worth my dollar. I feel more inclined to get the GTAIV episodes, if only because I enjoyed IV very much.
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 12:10:06 PM »
It's better than the GTA games, but since I'm not much of a sandbox guy I still didn't enjoy it much.  This was doubly true because my favorite part about GTA was easily the talk shows and billboards. :(

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 02:36:15 PM »
You need to pay more attention in RDR than in GTA, because it's much MUCH more subtle, and they don't jam the humor down your throat.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 12:56:10 AM »
this game looks like my cup of tea in the same way GTA3 was my cup of tea
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 06:28:48 PM »
You need to pay more attention in RDR than in GTA, because it's much MUCH more subtle, and they don't jam the humor down your throat.

But I LIKED the lack of subtlety; the commentary itself was nothing you wouldn't get from hanging out with some jaded undergrad art students, but the style made it entertaining.

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 08:16:39 PM »
I always thought it was the kind of humor 10 year olds would be up in arms about but made most other people at least crack a smile.  I'm on the fence
on whether or not to buy this.  Sandbox games aren't my cup of tea but the setting interests me.
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 11:10:36 PM »
I always thought it was the kind of humor 10 year olds would be up in arms about but made most other people at least crack a smile.  I'm on the fence
on whether or not to buy this.  Sandbox games aren't my cup of tea but the setting interests me.

If it helps, even my limited time with it made it clear that it's more mission-based than GTA, albeit less than The Godfather was.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 05:02:53 AM »
I tried to murder the smart aleck who kept beating me at horse shoes, but he got away! Twice!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 01:05:38 AM »
If anyone is interested, I just threw up the review for PixlBit.

Check it out here.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 12:58:11 AM »
I've just beat the game 2 days ago and I have to say, I've never gotten so emotional before in a game. The story isn't anything new nor are the characters but the atmosphere Rockstar created along with the pace and acting really help in developing that close bond to main characters usually only reserved to well written novels and some movies. One difference this medium does provide is that since your controlling the character throughout the story, I believe you develop an even bigger connection.

Looking back at my experience with the game as a whole, this is the first time where I feel as if this whole game was designed around building a strong bond between you and the main character. The huge, expansive yet desolate world leads you to spend a bulk of the experience alone on horseback which, over the course of the game, drains on you and has you yearning to have it all over and done with so you, an extension of John Marston, can finally return to your family. The characters you meet on your journey help build bonds which provide a nice touch of society and structure into what I can only imagine was a wild and dreary life living in that time period. In all, you just feel for the character and his plight.

The way music was also used in this game was just nothing short of amazing. The placement of the full length tracks within the story and gameplay were just perfectly timed and came as a pleasent suprise to me. Its the stuff you only see in movies which, as much as video games try now a days, I've yet to see pulled off to a successfull degree excect here. The voice acting is also up there as practically every single character you meet in this game is voiced perfectly. It makes you wonder how other companies can't achieve this level of professionalism as I'm sure these voice actors aren't hollywood actors.

As for the game structure and actual gameplay, its somewhat similar to GTA set in the midwest during the early 1900s yet everything just seems to vibe in this game. All the missions are somewhat reasonable/believable and don't just feel like they are there just to add length and options to the gameplay. After you've put hours into the game though, you do start to see the pattern in the structure of the world and its people which does take away from the escapism you initially get when you first play it. Once I hit that point though, I just gave up on all the side missions and tackled the main story line to keep the world progressing. The story had some twists here and there and had me thinking I might have beat the game twice only to realise there was more gaming to be had.

On a last note, the last stretch of missions felt boring and unnecessary to me at the time but they are brilliant in hindsight site once you've hit the ending credits.

I encourage anyone on here who can, to experience this game, through purchase, rental, or any (legal) which way you can. Its a flawless role playing game and by role playing I don't mean the typical stat crunching games we know and love (at least I do), I mean role playing as a true escape into the characters world through his eyes.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 11:57:54 AM »
anyone want to go online with this one, form  a posse or whatnot?
I'm on PS3
I don't really know how to hook up with folk for online gaming. You exchange some form of communique or code?
Oui, Mon Gars!