Author Topic: The 30 Best DS Games  (Read 39754 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: The Best 30 DS Games
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2011, 08:59:02 PM »
I'm probably the only person who wouldn't have ranked Heart Gold/Soul Silver, but that's because I played the originals to the point of being utterly sick of 2nd gen Pokemon. As a result, there's only so much you can polish that *censored*.

Though I think Platinum is enough of an improvement from Diamond and Pearl (if only in variety of usable ingame Pokemon) that it could have taken #14 on its own.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Despicable

• Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2011, 09:07:39 PM »
Why's it stop at 11?  :confused;
Dad I'm in Space

I'm Proud of You Son

Dad are you in Space?

Yes now we are Family again.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2011, 09:34:26 PM »
Despicable, we are posting a few entries each day, so all 30 will be shown within a couple more days.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline SilverQuilava

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2011, 10:17:28 PM »
Anybody else notice the subliminal messages from Black and White that there will be at least 3 more regions after this? The last 4 were based off of locations in Japan, but the Unova region is based off of the United States, BUT not all of them.It starts at Route 1, strictly DOES NOT include pokemon from other regions (like encountering a Hiker with a stupid Geodude for the 27th time), Red and Blue didn't have any pokemon from other regions being the first games of course, the games are based off of actual colors like Red and Blue instead of more gemstones, AND the names black and white are probably referring to the old Game Boy. Remember the commercial saying "Start from a new beginning"? That had to be what they meant. Because these games have to be starting from a new beginning. That must be why these games feel new to play. Thanks for reading by the way! Hey that rhymed!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2011, 07:31:00 AM »
Oh man, just recently I was thinking about all the games I didn't put in my top ten that I absolutely loved when they first came out. Here are some of them:

- Feel the Magic: I absolutely loved this game when it came out. The music is amazing and the graphics quite stylish. I also liked the concept behind it: how it is about this guy who falls in love with the woman and is doing these mini games in order to win her over. It was a very sweet story and the gameplay is fun, if very short.

- Dragon Quest Rocket Slime: It is short and very repetitive, but man did I play the heck out of it when I first got it. It is such a charming little game that I couldn't help but fall in love with it. It was the game that got me into the whole DQ story.

- Bomberman DS: This was back when the DS was going through a massive drought throughout early 2005, and me and my friends had nothing to play, so we gave this game a try and we loved it. We had insane multiplayer matches whenever we could and it was a popular game in our group.

- Electroplankton: A highly experimental title, Electroplankton was oddly very captivating despite its limited appeal. I remember I would randomly create songs on it as well as record my voice and used it for special greetings and wacky projects.

- Sonic Rush: The first Sonic game on the DS and it was awesome! I confess that this was the game that got me back onto the Sonic bandwagon. Not the GBA games, this one. It was a really satisfying experience, and I loved the creativity that went into it.

- Yoshi Touch and Go: This was first and foremost an experimental title, mostly there to show off the touch screen. But still, I loved this game. It's a classic arcade like game that can be pretty addictive if you are not careful.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2011, 07:39:06 AM »
I love Yoshi Touch & Go, and don't at all regret paying $30 for what would be a $5 DSiWare game today.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2011, 12:23:15 PM »
I love Yoshi Touch & Go, and don't at all regret paying $30 for what would be a $5 DSiWare game today.

Now say the same about Pac-Pix...
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Azagthoth

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2011, 03:08:21 PM »
What a way to kick off the top 10!

Phoenix Wright FTW
Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

- George Bernard Shaw

Offline NotRimmer

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2011, 03:53:41 PM »
Phoenix Wright 1 is better than 3, just FYI
Hey guys what's going on in this forum?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »
I agree.

Also why isn't there a link to the games little page with all the media, impressions, and reviews on each one of these?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:46:44 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Sidebar.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »

No. It isn't. It's not even open for comparison.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »
Where does everyone stand on the "Phantom Hourglass vs. Spirit Tracks" issue? Personally, I enjoyed Spirit Tracks more, and think it's the better game.

I beat PH but lost interest in ST after the ice temple. Couldn't be bothered to deal with that stupid train anymore and the use of mic blowing for one of the major items makes it hard to use on public transportation (because the background noise sounds like constant blowing to the DS).

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Kirby Canvas Curse was interesting to go through when not Kirby because some part you really missed his abilities.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline RagnaBlade

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2011, 01:44:33 PM »
Really hoping to see The World Ends With You on this list. It was so good, and so unique. Even if you don't like it personally, you have to give it credit for being really inventive and for taking a lot of risks. Its dialogue was idiosyncratic, though as Hishigizawa (and Greg during the Retroactive) says, it is a "chowder of destruction."  Happy Radiant Historia got some love, it's so good. The story was legitimately interesting, and charming. I'll invest in that Stocke any day. Plus, Aht was so goddamn useful! Stocke-Raynie-Aht all the way!
Sand will cover this place. Sand will cover you.

Offline Despicable

• Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2011, 04:12:25 PM »
I bet all of you Mario Kart DS will be in the TOP 5
Dad I'm in Space

I'm Proud of You Son

Dad are you in Space?

Yes now we are Family again.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2011, 06:36:33 PM »
That's reasonable.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2011, 09:30:02 PM »
Wow. I had always thought that the title was Kirby Canvas Course. I need to pay more attention when I read...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2011, 04:46:33 AM »
I bet all of you Mario Kart DS will be in the TOP 5

I'd have to be crazy to take that bet. I'd say there's at better than even chance that it will be number one.

If you look at the data from the end of fiscal year financial report, you'll see that Nintendo sold three million copies of Mario Kart DS in the last year. Five years after it came out.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pololmejor

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2011, 10:46:21 PM »
I think that Layton's Unwond Future is way better than the Curious Village, plus you said you liked the Unwound Future better.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2011, 11:02:30 PM »
I think that Layton's Unwond Future is way better than the Curious Village, plus you said you liked the Unwound Future better.

I did. The rest of the staff didn't, I guess. *shrugs* I just count the votes; I don't change them.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »

I did. The rest of the staff didn't, I guess. *shrugs* I just count the votes; I don't change them.

You could have changed them, what with your directorial omnipotence.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2011, 01:00:22 PM »

You could have changed them, what with your directorial omnipotence.
But that would spoil the Directors cut of the Feature.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2011, 07:35:45 PM »
I like Future more, but I gave my support to Village because it went there first.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2011, 01:28:01 AM »
New Super Mario Bros is meh for me. I don't disagree with anything said in the write-up, but it doesn't have the creativity or challenge of every other Mario game. (Even Sunshine had the cave levels.) The level design is pretty by the book and I didn't find the power-ups very fun or well implemented, possible exception being the mini-mushroom. I also think NSMB Wii is an improvement over its DS predecessor in every way.

If it wasn't for Mario's legacy being what it is, I'd probably like this game a lot more.