Author Topic: Hype: The reason why I avoid some games  (Read 8262 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Hype: The reason why I avoid some games
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 11:31:20 AM »
There's no way GTA games have ever been overhyped, the developers hardly even talk about them before they come out. I had no idea what to expect in San Andreas and it has so many little things that were above my expectations.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 11:36:59 AM »
The grav gun was cool, I'll admit that but Psi-Ops powers were a lot better IMO.  Throwing guys into steel fans, furnaces, electrical boxes, hilarious!

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
RE:Hype: The reason why I avoid some games
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 11:52:18 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario
There's no way GTA games have ever been overhyped, the developers hardly even talk about them before they come out. I had no idea what to expect in San Andreas and it has so many little things that were above my expectations.

Rarely are the developers the source of hype. In fact, the more information developers hold back, the more hype is used to fill in the gaps. Also, hype continues after a game is released as word-of-mouth spreads.

Personally, I don't avoid hyped games, but there are plenty of them that I haven't played. Specifically, those on PS2, Xbox (360), and the PC. Most of the games that receive hype on those systems are FPS, which isn't my favorite genre. (Sometimes it feels like I am the only one who doesn't like FPS games. Maybe I haven't found the right one.) I would say that I more-or-less am unswayed by hype. If a game doesn't interest me by its own merits, then I will not buy it.

Thanks for listening.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 01:25:30 PM »

Originally posted by: WuTangTurtle
The grav gun was cool, I'll admit that but Psi-Ops powers were a lot better IMO.  Throwing guys into steel fans, furnaces, electrical boxes, hilarious!

Heh, yeah I gotta agree with you there. Near the end of the game a confiscation field malfunctions and the gravity gun can pull in organic stuff like Combine soldiers too, but they're killed instantly when grabbed so its still not quite as good as Psi-Ops powers.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 01:54:12 PM »
Be sure to avoid Zelda.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 08:24:09 PM »
I'm joking, of course. But I found the gravity gun indispensable throughout the game.

Me too but that's mostly because they didn't feel like giving you ammo for anything else in Ravenholm. I actually found the Doom 3 expansion's grav gun more useful because in that game all enemies lobbed projectiles at you instead of bullets that leave only tracers.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2007, 04:03:19 AM »
I can understand pap's dilemma.  Some friends of mine told me that the newest Batman movie was absolutely fantastic, so when I finally watched it with them and found it absolutely terrible, I had to wonder if I would have liked it a little better if I hadn't been led to believe it was so much better than it really was.  Was I overly critical because of the hype, or would I still think it was awful regardless?  The problem is that it's impossible to remove all related memories from my mind and watch it again with a fresh perspective, so there's no way to know.  I can't say I've ever had the same problem with games.  For the record, I got Deus Ex for free with a sound card, and I didn't know anything about it when I started playing it.  I think it's one of the best PC games I've ever played.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2007, 07:29:40 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
I can understand pap's dilemma.  Some friends of mine told me that the newest Batman movie was absolutely fantastic, so when I finally watched it with them and found it absolutely terrible, I had to wonder if I would have liked it a little better if I hadn't been led to believe it was so much better than it really was.  Was I overly critical because of the hype, or would I still think it was awful regardless?  The problem is that it's impossible to remove all related memories from my mind and watch it again with a fresh perspective, so there's no way to know.  I can't say I've ever had the same problem with games.  For the record, I got Deus Ex for free with a sound card, and I didn't know anything about it when I started playing it.  I think it's one of the best PC games I've ever played.

I loved Batman Begins. I would say that one of the reasons I enjoyed it was because I saw it on opening night with Cap and S_B and we all had a blast at the end (the audience even applauded like crazy, something that didn't happen with Superman Returns), but the audio in the theater was bad to the point where all I heard were mumbles and I was cold as hell, so I can't exactly say that the overall experience helped me liked the movie since there were elements that could've ruined it too.

So this still remains a mystery...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2007, 01:54:37 PM »
You know what else makes me mad besides ppl telling me some game is really good and i go buy it only to think it is just above average?  Buying a game thinking its really good for $50, then seeing 2 months later its $19.99.  I'm starting to think Iwata was right about re-educating the public to not simply wait and get games for dirt cheap, it keeps the industry healthy and helps ensure ppl don't feel ripped off all the time.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007, 06:51:49 PM »
"Re-educating"... Pahahahahahahaa. Perhaps Iwata needs to be re-educated to understand that people waiting for a price drop means the original price is too damn high.

Also you'd feel better in Europe, you can be sure that a game won't be discounted for at least a year (if it's on a Nintendo console).

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2007, 07:29:25 PM »
I'll say this, I'd much prefer a game to be released at a price that it should be worth and stay at the same price range for a long time than have a game have to be set at $50-$60 and then buy it then realize it dropped to $20.  For example Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles not worth $50, any Madden games definitely not worth $50, etc.

I remember paying $29.99 for Viewtiful Joe on its release and I felt I got my monies worth and then some.

I do feel bad for u Europeans and Austrailians though, those prices are near crazy!  Oh and hears something else that bothers me, ppl selling used games on ebay for the price of a brand new game at full price.  That of course after the currency conversion though.  I'm sure it is because our money is no good, but why do i see so many UK sellers to the US if nobody in there right mind would buy em?

Sooner or later we're all gonna be buying games digitally anyways and nobody will have problems buying games like we do now through retailers, EBgames and Gamestop I'm lookin at u....

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2007, 08:46:30 PM »

Originally posted by: WuTangTurtle
I do feel bad for u Europeans and Austrailians though, those prices are near crazy!  Oh and hears something else that bothers me, ppl selling used games on ebay for the price of a brand new game at full price.  That of course after the currency conversion though.  I'm sure it is because our money is no good, but why do i see so many UK sellers to the US if nobody in there right mind would buy em?

After years of buying games, you kinda have to ignore the exchange rates. Even AU$120 games still work out to almost US$100 currently. Its just weird, but you don't have to buy them at that price.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2007, 09:55:23 PM »
I haven't brought local for the past 5 years for console games. The DS game prices do move, so that is not so much of an issue. Also because the DS is region free, I don't feel like I have to make a big thing everytime I get one locally. They should have made the Wii regionless.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2007, 07:41:04 AM »
Thief 2 is a great game. It reminded me alot of Deus Ex. It has alot more of an open ended feeling to it.  Plus like Deus Ex, it's more about strategy rather than "run n' gun".  I freakin love stealth FPS games!
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level