Author Topic: Wii Out of Stock at Multiple Online Retailers  (Read 11398 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Wii Out of Stock at Multiple Online Retailers
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 04:32:54 PM »
As other in the topic have already said, Nintendo wants most Wii's to be gone from stores when the Wii U comes out anyway.  This way, they'll be no confusion with the name and with people buying the cheaper Wii instead.  If the Wii U is the only hardware in stores and people want to buy Wii or Wii U games, that will be the only Wii system they're able to get.

Even last year with the terrible lineup the Wii had, it still managed to sell over 2 million system in North America during the holidays.  Even with Wii sales even lower this year, the system could still do over a million during the holidays as well.  Good reason for Nintendo to try and kill the Wii hardware off now so there will be no cheaper alternative this Fall so that extra million that would have bought a Wii will have to buy a Wii U instead.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 07:43:52 PM »
Yes it's a good idea to kill off those sales because obviously, Nintendo will be able to make a 1 million extra Wii U systems that people who wanted a Wii for $99 or so would happily pay around $200 more for at that time. 
I think as long as sales are being made, Nintendo will keep making Wiis.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2012, 11:20:55 AM »
Yes it's a good idea to kill off those sales because obviously, Nintendo will be able to make a 1 million extra Wii U systems that people who wanted a Wii for $99 or so would happily pay around $200 more for at that time. 

Nintendo's Wii sales have plummeted year-over-year, selling roughly 1/2 as many as they did last year in the same period of time.  Nintendo of course can make Wii's all they want, but retailers have limited shelf space in their stores for their products, and with the impending Wii U launch, will probably want to utilize as much space as possible for the brand new thing.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 06:47:02 PM »

Nintendo's Wii sales have plummeted year-over-year, selling roughly 1/2 as many as they did last year in the same period of time.  Nintendo of course can make Wii's all they want, but retailers have limited shelf space in their stores for their products, and with the impending Wii U launch, will probably want to utilize as much space as possible for the brand new thing.

That's where places like Amazon, Walmart.com, and BestBuy.com come in. Buy everything online, have it shipped directly to your home. No more worrying about a Wii U running out of stock in your local store.

I wish Nintendo's own online store sold games and consoles, not just controllers and cables.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 06:58:52 PM »

That's where places like Amazon, Walmart.com, and BestBuy.com come in. Buy everything online, have it shipped directly to your home. No more worrying about a Wii U running out of stock in your local store.

I wish Nintendo's own online store sold games and consoles, not just controllers and cables.

Which still requires Amazon, Wal Mart, and Best buy to hold the stock at a warehouse.  This also costs the company real estate that could be used for other products if they decide that having an antiquated console on sale still is no longer profitable enough to incur these costs.  There are more factors that come into play when a retailer decides to carry a product other than how many are being sold. 

Now, I imagine Nintendo would offer the Wii & games on their store if they deemed it profitable enough and if they weren't concerned about miffing their retail partners.  Now that the Wii is entering its swan song, I see less of a reason for them to not offer this other than them wanting to focus on Wii U and the same reasons mentioned above (relatively low demand, better use for space in a warehouse somewhere, not enough profit margin to offset these costs).

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 08:43:44 PM »

Which still requires Amazon, Wal Mart, and Best buy to hold the stock at a warehouse.  This also costs the company real estate that could be used for other products if they decide that having an antiquated console on sale still is no longer profitable enough to incur these costs.  There are more factors that come into play when a retailer decides to carry a product other than how many are being sold. 

Now, I imagine Nintendo would offer the Wii & games on their store if they deemed it profitable enough and if they weren't concerned about miffing their retail partners.  Now that the Wii is entering its swan song, I see less of a reason for them to not offer this other than them wanting to focus on Wii U and the same reasons mentioned above (relatively low demand, better use for space in a warehouse somewhere, not enough profit margin to offset these costs).

What? I was talking about finding a Wii U at a local retailer. I said that's why it's so much easier to shop on Amazon or Walmart.com.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2012, 08:45:43 PM »

What? I was talking about finding a Wii U at a local retailer. I said that's why it's so much easier to shop on Amazon or Walmart.com.

Oh, my mistake then.  I thought you were referring to the Wii, not the Wii U.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 11:59:27 PM »
If the Wii U is as popular at launch as the Wii was at its launch then its going to be difficult to purchase it no matter if you do it online or off.
is your sanity...