Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1198356 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4400 on: March 21, 2018, 02:51:14 AM »
Arrow, unfortunately, is back to its season 3/4 state of affairs. To quote my favorite word from the last episode of Season 1 of Arrow, the problem seems to be redundancies. It seems to be retreading familiar ground and it doesn't help that the writers didn't seem to do with the great cliffhanger ending it left at the end of Season 5. The smartest thing they've done this year is bring on Micheal Emerson which is the main reason I'm tuning in but after being genuinely excited to keep going forward and seeing each new episode of Season 5, Season 6 wore out that excitement pretty fast and now I almost have to push myself to watch the next episode much like I did with The Flash last year. Also, I was really hoping for more Deathstroke and am very disappointed he's just had a brief two parter which was probably the best part of Season 6 so far. The Oliver / Deathstroke pairing just works so well. And, I think the show has created an Oliver/Diggle/Green Arrow problem for itself as Diggle could practically be the Green Arrow at this point and Oliver doesn't need to be or at least could be acting in a different capacity while letting Diggle take on the mantle. But that's a lot more I could get into on this crazy show.

Having just mentioned that I had to push myself to watch the rest of The Flash Season 4, I guess I'll touch on its current season quickly. At first, I was quite surprised and intrigued by what I thought was Metron in the floating chair. Metron is one of the New Gods and I was wondering if The Flash was going to take on that part of the DCU. However, I soon learned it was Devoe and not Metron. Aside from that, The Flash seemed to be about where it was when Season 3 ended. But it did make one significant change. The writers decided to stop having Barry be so brooding and making him a bit more optimistic again has begun to have a ripple effect in improving the show. Introducing Ralph Dibny has also been a better addition even if it has been at the expense of Wally West but his character has been spinning his wheels for awhile now. The whole learning to be a hero thing with Ralph is also coming close to some "been here, done that" feelings but the writers have kept it light enough with enough comedy to still enjoy it. Harrison 2 coming back is also a better fit helping the show shake off a bit more of what ailed it in season 3 and after finally having Barry and Devoe face off, the conflict has begun to gain some stakes and motivation. When trying to decided if I wanted to see the next episode of The Flash, Supergirl or Arrow, my answer lately has been The Flash to my surprise. I wouldn't exactly say this is its best season or anything but if you liked The Flash for its first and most of its second season then it seems to be working its way back to that level in my opinion.

As for Supergirl, I'll get to it a little later. I've spent enough time on this post already.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: March 24, 2018, 12:24:57 PM »
OMG Doctor Leopold Fritz. That ending with Gemma is icing.

This is unfortunately only the second episode this season that is legit good so far. The last episode had some good moments but it just wasn't enough.

It has been dragging out so much I have forgotten plot points from earlier in the season. General Hall is still spinning her wheels making me wonder why she is even there. Actually, a fair chunk is spinning their wheels.

Daisy isn't hacking computers, but in a surprising move Chloe seems to be acting, really selling the moment.

Coulson isn't making clever plans, Hall nails him to the wall on this. Its almost like he is getting de-constructed. Not sure if it is intentional.

Mac and Yoyo has been playing the same note without pause. It's starting to get as bad as Hawk girl from Legends who is hands down the worse part of the show.

Deak I am mixed on mostly due to me not remembering what he does before. On the other hand he has good chemistry and the actor sells how flipped out he is along with his child like wonderment.

May does nothing, she is a cameo. I know they are building things up but it feels like they could have cut a couple episodes in the editing room without missing a thing. I know they are going to stick the landing but I can wait to get there for all the wrong reasons.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: March 24, 2018, 08:00:12 PM »
General Hale HYDRA...... "Hale Hydra". Get it? Well they point it out on Twitter....
https://twitter.com/AgentsofSHIELD/status/977409700642918400

Deke constantly dropping hints "Grandpa"
Simmons is preggo!? and that's why she threw up at the grandson reveal?

Fitz vs Dr. Fitz.... seriously, when does Ian get nominated at the very least for an Emmy or something? They guy was acting circles around almost everyone on TV against himself for several seasons now.

But Fitz needs to get it together and get Yoyo those damn arms so that she can finally get out that bed and be useful again and MacHammer can stop moping around

Daisy getting that thing out her neck.... long ass tentacles pulled out her.... that had to feel great.
But the Dr Fitz call back from the Framework "I don't have to, but I want to" vs Fitz "I don't want to, but I have to". Daisy will be more interesting with her powers back though.

Agent McTrap..... time to throw her overboard. LOL

did I forget anyone?

Oh, Fitz and Simmons..... it's gonna be another emotional ride for these two. They never get a fucking break.

oh and dude at the very end... gave Gen Hale that Kree Suicide Steroid that Kasius took for his final fight... did that **** work on humans? Is Hale human... is that dude Kasius' Kree dad in disguise? or does he just work for him?

anyone else?
....No...?

yeah, I think that's everyone

I need to lookup the preview for next week, as I just know these last 10 episodes are gonna be good.

I also wonder if they were planning on an IW "tie-in" and if moving the date up 1 week would have messed with that at all....

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: March 25, 2018, 12:13:18 AM »
Whether they are bearing arms, mac and yoyo has been doing the same thing, they simply got a bad storyline. Mac is on the job and Fritz has bigger fish to fry.

Daisy is usually more interesting without her powers. When she got them she ended up being defined just by it, she stopped being a character. They sort of acknowledge that with the whole Quake/Daisy back and forth.

Ian really needs that award. Dude is putting out master class work for a TV show. Unlike the likes of Hopkins who can outright steal a scene by being there(WestWorld) Ian has to put in serious amounts of work. However he would only be half as good if not less without Henstridge. They have chemistry right from the start and the writers picked up on that, although you have to be a robot to miss it.

The pair redefine suffering. O'Brien must be ever so pleased he isn't the champion anymore.

The astronaut phasing in was really cool. Initially I thought that it was a serious waste of money, but it was a good play.

Coulson is just so damn sloppy with his work. He better be smiling for a good reason oppose to why Hale ripped into him for.

General Hale HYDRA...... "Hale Hydra". Get it? Well they point it out on Twitter....
https://twitter.com/AgentsofSHIELD/status/977409700642918400

uugh.

Not a fan of Hale firing the two agents out of nowhere or reason earlier. They were adorable.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:15:41 AM by oohhboy »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: March 26, 2018, 01:16:42 AM »
Daisy is usually more interesting without her powers. When she got them she ended up being defined just by it, she stopped being a character. They sort of acknowledge that with the whole Quake/Daisy back and forth.

Ian really needs that award. Dude is putting out master class work for a TV show. Unlike the likes of Hopkins who can outright steal a scene by being there(WestWorld) Ian has to put in serious amounts of work. However he would only be half as good if not less without Henstridge. They have chemistry right from the start and the writers picked up on that, although you have to be a robot to miss it.

The pair redefine suffering. O'Brien must be ever so pleased he isn't the champion anymore.

Honestly, every Fitz and/or Simmons centric episode I can think of has been quality.
It' amazing how far the pair have come both together and individually. Fitz being my most standout choice of the 2 though.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: March 28, 2018, 04:15:29 AM »
So I started watching Teen Wolf

Don't judge... I needed to replace Creature Feature fix now that Vampire Diaries is done, The Originals seems to be done, Bitten... is done?, and Being Human is also done. Besides, I heard it was good... and it's got 6 seasons, so must be decent at the very least.

Honestly, so far, I like it. I could totally see this being part of the VDverse. Would need just a little tweaking, but not much.

But I gotta LOL out loud, seriously, out loud, everytime main dude and his homeboy be talking about some sensitive Werewolf related **** in class or right infront of everyone hella loud, like they're whispering or something, in a quiet ass class, and no body hears a damn thing until they yell.

Other than that, it's been a pretty good watch so far. I'm only on episode 6, but I'm looking forward to the binge watch that's incoming.

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: March 28, 2018, 10:36:38 AM »
I been watching Shameless on Netflix and the Joe McHale Show with Joe McHale, it's  not that funny but I find myself strangely drawn to it.

I also been really loving the new Letterman stuff, My Next Guest.

That Shameless though.. wow...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: March 28, 2018, 09:40:39 PM »
Shameless is great. I'm assuming you mean the US version, I dont' know if they have both versions on Netflix (original is UK).

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: March 28, 2018, 09:50:21 PM »
Yeah it's the U.S. version. Loving it so far.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: March 28, 2018, 10:56:09 PM »
Yeah it's the U.S. version. Loving it so far.

Every season is pretty good. Some better than others, but all of them good.
This show often reminds me of no matter how shitty things may seem sometimes, thank god it wasn't like this. LOL

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #4410 on: March 29, 2018, 09:25:21 AM »
I almost stopped watching after the episode where 'butterface' died. That was a little too much for me. But I took a day off and came back to it.

I am mostly into sitcoms and quirky science fiction stuff I rarely get into serious shows but this one just drew me in. Plus I am a huge William H. Macy fan so there is that too.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: April 01, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »
Scoobynatural - LMFAO

Supernatural went full cartoon and was inserted into an episode of Scooby Doo.
I haven't watched a single episode all season until this one, and it was worth jumping in for.
I don't want to spoil it, but I'll just point out a few things:
Dean has a crush on Daphne, go as far as blatantly checking out that ass, then going for the kiss.
Velma has a crush on Sam, and isn't so shy about it.
Dean has to point out some cartoon tells in the episode LOL, and generally is just enjoying himself being a cartoon and a huge fan of Scooby and the gang.

really fun episode, and definitely worth the watch even if you don't watch Supernatural.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: April 01, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »
Gotham

Why is Gotham Joker the BEST Joker?
He seriously takes all the best parts of all the previous Jokers and now we have Gotham Joker. aka Best Joker. Dude from Shameless is seriously KILLING IT as Joker on TV.
Not to continually kick the DCEU when it's down and out, but gotdamn WB... how could you get it so damn wrong. fucked up Supes, Bats, Flash, Joker and The Justice League. smdh. it's a shame.

But back to Gotham. The moment this show decided to go full comic zaniness, it's been for the better. Embracing the over the top ridiculousness of the characters, and bucking this "grounded approach" so many have tried to do and failed with. And with constant attention to visual flare on a TV budget, it's not only fun to watch, it nice to look at too.

For those that haven't tuned in and want to know what's up with this show:
It's the city of Gotham before there was a Batman. Before Gordon was Commission, but just an up and coming officer on the force. City riddled with crime and all sorts of crazy villains start coming out of the woodworks with personas larger than life, giving more problems than the police can handle within the law and politics of the city. This is all leading up to the need for someone just as crazy and theatrical to combat them on their own grounds, but on the right side of the law (aka The Batman).

Enjoy this for what it is, and it's a fun ride. It's a comicbook related show that certainly doesn't take itself too seriously, and that's what makes it so damn fun to watch, regardless of how graphic or off the walls the show gets.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 05:54:17 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: April 01, 2018, 06:42:37 PM »
Has anyone been game enough to try Krypton?

I can't bring myself to watch it.  I've managed to bail out on the Arrowverse shows.  I've been skeptical on Krypton since it was announced.  The CW shows are soap operas with 'super powers'.  In Arrow's case, without super powers.  The only reason I watched these shows were for the actual super hero parts and not the annoying drama.

This leads me to my hesitancy with Krypton.  Kryptonians on Krypton have no super powers.  So that leaves a soap opera which I have no interest in at all.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: April 01, 2018, 08:33:22 PM »
I turned it on, but fell asleep before it started.

I've got my hands full with so many shows in the genre....

the following shows currently on the watch list:
Agents of SHIELD, Gotham, Black Lightning, iZombie, Lucifer, Supergirl, and now binge watching Teen Wolf.

I've already put the following on indefinite hiatus:
Supernatural, Arrow, The Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow,

and the following are just waiting for new seasons to air:
Luke Cage, Daredevil, The Punisher, The Runaways, Legion, The Gifted, Preacher, *Iron Fist and The Defenders (Jessica Jones already watched) (*IF has an asterix because you know why.... :/)

Also waiting for the following new shows:
Cloak and Dagger, New Warriors, Titans (that's still happening, right? Teen Titans show?)

Other shows that I have yet to check out are:
Riverdale, and Krypton

are there any other shows that fit the genre of supernatural/superhero/comicbook that I might have missed?
I'm not sure when I'll find time to get back to Krypton or start Riverdale (that is Archie and supernatural-ish, right?)

and pre-post edit: I just saw there is another Superman show called Metropolis coming down the pipe for next yet as well. This and Titans are supposed to air on the WB streaming service.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: April 02, 2018, 12:28:33 AM »
Teen Wolf.....

I'm only in Season 2 and this show has certainly taken a turn for the stupid. The Suspension of Disbelief has crossed the threshold and now certain actions just really don't make any sense.
I can ignore the first instance... and then maybe the second instance, but when it just piles up and is thrown in your face because the latest incident is based on you accepting the last incident.... i have to pause to question WTF is going on with this show.

Is anyone else watching this show, or has already caught up with this show?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: April 02, 2018, 07:03:05 AM »

are there any other shows that fit the genre of supernatural/superhero/comicbook that I might have missed?

Lucifer. The most procedural of all the current shows but powers through with the comedic (and general acting talents) of it's main cast. No matter how ridiculous the premise.

Has anyone been game enough to try Krypton?

I can't bring myself to watch it.  I've managed to bail out on the Arrowverse shows.  I've been skeptical on Krypton since it was announced.  The CW shows are soap operas with 'super powers'.  In Arrow's case, without super powers.  The only reason I watched these shows were for the actual super hero parts and not the annoying drama.

This leads me to my hesitancy with Krypton.  Kryptonians on Krypton have no super powers.  So that leaves a soap opera which I have no interest in at all.

I started it. It's fine. Just fine. I dropped Gotham because of its tonal inconsistencies. I don't mind zany and ludicrous but you have to stick with it like Legends does.

Krypton doesn't have that issue, but so far the show hasn't given me reason to keep watching either. Man of Steel suggested that the Kryptonians went far out into space and expanded their reach, but in this they seem to hint slightly that they haven't gone off world at all - which is mighty convenient given that Brianiac is approaching from space. It's only a 10 episode season so i'll keep going.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 07:12:26 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: April 02, 2018, 11:54:32 AM »
Lucifer was on my current watch list.

and some reviews I saw on Krypton says that twist/hook/event that gets things interesting enough to keep watching doesn't happen till like ep5, so.... hang in there?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: April 04, 2018, 04:35:12 AM »
Black Lightning is only in its first season but my favourite part of the show is its family dynamics - which is insane for a show on the CW because i typically hate the CW for the nonsense they stuff there.

In last weeks' episode Jennifer asks her dad "how do you go to the bathroom in the suit?" and he just starts giggling and hugs her as the camera pulls away. Another time when Jefferson and Lynn are flirting at her workplace. The warmth both scenes feels so genuine and lived-in which is such a stark contrast to how its done on the Flash (even with Jesse L Martin doing his absolute best, he's constantly pulled back by the writing) which hams it up or Arrow which goes for drama and his son which annoys for different reasons.

Also, Christine Adams' (who plays Lynn Pierce) American accent is so good that it hurts my brain knowing she's a brit (and uses her english accent in Counterpart).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: April 04, 2018, 02:37:59 PM »
I think I mentioned that in my first post about this show, but they way they all interact and talk to each other just seems natural. Not like they are struggling to deliver lines, but this is just who they are.

The cultural identity this show has not shy'd away from also hugs my warm spot. LOL

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: April 07, 2018, 08:31:10 PM »
Anyone watch Atlanta on Thursday?

No.... ok, I'll wait. Get back at me when you're done.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: April 08, 2018, 05:49:28 AM »
Gotta hand it to Rip Hunter as mister consistent. He will do just about anything to save the world or take down the target. I am glad they got a bit more fun out of Obama.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: April 08, 2018, 06:08:44 AM »
Gotta hand it to Rip Hunter as mister consistent. He will do just about anything to save the world or take down the target. I am glad they got a bit more fun out of Obama.

"We're on Obamacare" - the show is simply a lot of fun now and i'm completely here for it.

Meanwhile i watched huge chunks of Arrow on mute this week. I just didnt want to see their drama, while in the same episode Diggle's wife catches him hacking into her ARGUS equipment while she was away, she raises it, he says im sorry and all is fine again. Just to go back to talking about Oliver and his issues there.

If you're gonna go for drama then you have to be consistent about it, this felt like cherry picking where and how.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: April 10, 2018, 04:07:02 PM »
Legends dropped probably the single best episode of the entire Arrowverse. Oliver bickers with everyone about everything, Barry bickers about he's the fastest and sidelines everyone else in the process, while Legends has a legendary plushy bear fight a demon in an attempt to destroy him

Never change, Legends.

Counterpart - If you want slow-burn but well-paced spy thriller then give this a watch. What a fantastic first season. Slow, and tense and carefully plotted and quite a few "oh crap" moments that feel genuine and earned.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: April 11, 2018, 04:35:35 AM »
Looks like I have to double down on Rip Hunter again. Robert Duvle is just the best actor. No way Rip is dead. That's like killing Doctor Who and they hedged with some odd which you know how that plays out in these shows. Plus Ray fucked with the order of things is another opening.

The totem speak is just insufferable and always a low point in any episode. That said it did give us a cronenberg baby which did gross me out a little almost losing the dinner in my mouth. Mick did good. He did what needed to be done.

Love the little detail with Ava that yeah, that isn't snow.

Legends has once again delivered and is now my top comic tv show nudging AoS(Bad season not helping)out. Heck, I enjoy it more than than any marvel movie that's not Blade or Deadpool.

Speaking of AoS how much of a budget cut did they get? They are approaching stage play level budget. They almost don't go outdoors anymore like they literally can't afford it. Not even an alleyway next to the parking lot cross the sound stage real outdoors. Even extras is a luxury.

Good thing their actors/characters are good since they barely have a dirt floor to stand on. The plot isn't winning me over either.