Author Topic: Buying my first HD set, I need advice  (Read 19128 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Buying my first HD set, I need advice
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 10:18:12 AM »

Originally posted by: darkheart

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Yeah my plasma puts out quite a bit of heat, but I love it. Like I said if anything keep the TV on for 200hrs or so before playing anything with a static image. While it is unlikely it is still possible to get some burn-in during that period (which is why most recommend using burn-in software or keeping it on a channel without static logos. The reason why is because the gases burn brightest during that period. After that point though you should be safe. Also turn on pixel orbiting (It appears that TV may have it), and keep the brightness along with contrast at or below 50, at least to start.

Do you mean just run the television for 200 hours not playing a game or movie?

You can play a movie. Like I stated it isn't a huge issue anymore to be on the safe side they recommend you run it for 200hrs with something without static images so the gases aren't burning as bright (which is what causes burn-in). Though from reading reviews on your TV it appears to be a highly rated TV so it may not be a huge concern for you!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 11:08:04 AM »
Yea I just read in a magazine that it was rated #2 Plasma television of the year~!  I am very happy with this television but now between standard dvds and Wii games . . . I want to see what it REALLY can do.   Perhaps a 360 or Ps3 is in the future for me~!

Offline utarefsoN

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Buying my first HD set, I need advice
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2008, 11:22:42 AM »
i suggest looking at the Toshiba Regza. Excellent TV.  

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2008, 12:26:18 PM »

Originally posted by: utarefsoN
i suggest looking at the Toshiba Regza. Excellent TV.

Sorry got the tv already and love it to bits maybe next time .

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 12:16:37 AM »

Originally posted by: darkheart
Yea I just read in a magazine that it was rated #2 Plasma television of the year~!  I am very happy with this television but now between standard dvds and Wii games . . . I want to see what it REALLY can do.   Perhaps a 360 or Ps3 is in the future for me~!

Just be patient and wait a little over three years from now.  I'm sure Nintendo's next console will have HD output.

It it doesn't... expect a major outlash to begin.

No need to waste money on something that's not worth it.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Buying my first HD set, I need advice
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2008, 03:58:51 PM »
I'm picking up my Samsung LED DLP HLT5687S later today.  (56", $1600 on sale)

I brought my Wang(TM) to Frys over the weekend to try it out, and checked for lag using Wii Play and Metroid Prime 3.  These are good games to test out since they run at 60fps and the crosshairs move with similar, yet very smooth sensitivity on native 480i/480p TV sets.  But more importantly, the smooth Remote aiming in these games comes at the price of a cursor delay -- it's almost unnoticeable but it's definitely there, and I'm sure I'm sure people have noticed it, since 30fps situations like the Wii Channel Menu and RE4 Wii have even less perceived delay.  Cursor delay is good for TV testing since the lag generated by HDTVs will further *exaggerate* it.

Whoever said the Samsung xx87 series had no lag in all those google/ign articles I read thru last week at work spoke too soon.  They probably only tried out Wii Sports and Twilight Princess, where lag isn't a big deal at all.  From my understanding, the older DLP models lack the optimized "Game Modes" present in today's models.

As for my Frys visit, I spent a good hour with my Wang(TM) in a separate, hot, sweaty, TV room/oven dedicated to 6 similar models of Samsung DPL TVs.  Other adjacent rooms had all-plasmas or all-LCDs, and they burned even hotter.  Once in a while, other shoppers would stop by and see me wave my Wang(TM) this way and that, evaluating the limits of HDTV technology vigorously.

There's a clear and noticeable lag on the 5687's (and 6187) default settings.  The crosshairs in both games noticeably dragged around.  Aiming was NOT comfy since the crosshairs wouldn't end up where I expected them to during snap/twitch-aim situations.

I turned on "Game Mode>Sports", and that made a big difference (the other Game Modes didn't help much).  There was still maybe a hint of lag (compared to what I feel from my CRT), but the games still played very well.  Snap-aiming was comfy and responsive, as it should be.  Only by that condition did I deem the lag to be acceptable.  Then I decided to purchase one.

I originally asked for the 61" $1800 set, but it wasn't in stock, so I settled for the 56" set at $1600, which is still a great deal and not a bad downgrade at all.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2008, 06:26:21 PM »
Great choice Pro666.
I personally never had any issues with my Samsung DLP (720p) when playing Metroid Prime 3, but then again being the videophile that you are it is obvious you can discern any differences better than the common TV buyer.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 07:29:28 PM »
being the videophile that you are it is obvious you can discern any differences better than the common TV buyer.

Pro666 currently plays games on a 10-year old 27" CRT using an S-Video cable. 
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2008, 07:34:15 PM »
30min until I leave work and pickup the TV.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2008, 07:47:56 PM »
being the videophile that you are it is obvious you can discern any differences better than the common TV buyer.

That's irrelevant, and crucial.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2008, 09:42:05 PM »

That's irrelevant, and crucial.

I honest to got play all my games on a 25" Zenith with no power button and RF only.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2008, 11:12:08 PM »
I have an HLT6187 and I don't notice any lag....

I think you're crazy.  I haven't played Prime 3 yet, but I have played SPM on it and Wii Play.

I don't use the Game Modes because the colors get all screwed up sometimes.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2008, 11:13:20 PM »
PS, is GH III a 60 fps game?  I play that all the time and never experience lag.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2008, 02:01:52 AM »
"but I have played SPM"

That game has as much action as Elevator Action.

"and Wii Play"

Have you tried the Shooting Gallery on a CRT?

"I haven't played Prime 3 yet"

Are you are a staffer at NINTENDO World Report?

"I honest to got play all my games on a 25" Zenith with no power button and RF only."
^ This guy is free from lag.  Righteous.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2008, 10:25:31 AM »
Heh, yes I'm a staffer.  I actually just finished Prime 2, which I was behind on, and that's why I haven't picked up three yet.

As for SPM, I tested with that game because my dad has a 67 inch Samsung DLP from like 2 gens ago (not LED obviously) and the jumping on that game was so painfully delayed on his TV.  In fact, I think I made a thread here about it.

You didn't answer my question about Guitar Hero... does that run at 60 frames?

Oh and my old TV was a 53 inch sony projection from like 8 years ago, and I used to play Wii Play on that.  Also, what does Link's Crossbow Training run at?  Because I play that on this new TV as well and don't notice any lag in the aiming.
---------------------

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2008, 11:17:20 AM »
I upgraded from a 27" CRT to one of these Samsung LED DLPs (slightly different model, same tech), and I don't notice any pointer lag in Wii Play's Shooting Gallery or Tanks.  I have my Wii hooked up through component cables with the input set to normal game mode.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2008, 02:09:02 PM »

"I honest to got play all my games on a 25" Zenith with no power button and RF only."
^ This guy is free from lag.  Righteous.

WELL i HAD LAGS, BUT uPDATED MY wII mENU, AND NOW GONE.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2008, 02:40:16 PM »
So, what's the verdict on the TV Pro? I've heard bad things about Samsungs. (Although there is a HLN5065W a couple feet from me right now)

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2008, 03:22:03 PM »
Heh, yes I'm a staffer.  I actually just finished Prime 2, which I was behind on, and that's why I haven't picked up three yet.

As for SPM, I tested with that game because my dad has a 67 inch Samsung DLP from like 2 gens ago (not LED obviously) and the jumping on that game was so painfully delayed on his TV.  In fact, I think I made a thread here about it.

You didn't answer my question about Guitar Hero... does that run at 60 frames?

Oh and my old TV was a 53 inch sony projection from like 8 years ago, and I used to play Wii Play on that.  Also, what does Link's Crossbow Training run at?  Because I play that on this new TV as well and don't notice any lag in the aiming.

The older Samsung DLPs are agreed to have the lag problem.

GHIII runs at 60fps.  Button-based lag is more difficult to discern than the cursor lag I've come across.

Can't comment on Link's Murder Simulator cuz I didn't fall for Nintendo's casual gamer trap.  But 30fps games should be less affected by lag.

The big projection TVs from the previous decade should not have any lag since they natively operate at 480 lines.  My parents also have a 53" Sony projecto.

I failed to mention I didn't check if my Wang(TM) was running in 480p or 480i at Frys.  I was using a pre-owned Nyko component cable I bought for $20.  What I do know is the games were a blurry mess on the 6187 compared to the crispness of my CRT display.  Curse the HD revolution.

Pale, please try Wii Play Shooting in 480i on your 6187, with and without Game Mode, and present your findings.  Try drawing circles with the cursor, use twitch-aiming across the screen, don't lead/follow targets, etc.

~~~~~

Operation TV-GET yesterday was a DISASTER

@#$%&^(^$&IVNFGJERNWEN^&<OUERB #$^W#T%B

When we first arrived to pick it up, the store staff had rolled out the wrong TV model (5676).  So I waited 10min while they rolled it back and looked for the real one.  They brought back the real one (5687).

My friend and I picked up the TV, drove off, opened it up at my apartment, set it down on the stand all nice and centered, and decided to turn it on.  Then we discovered,

NO REMOTE
NO PAPERS
NO POWER CORD

WTF

The staff failed to notice they had handed me an OPEN BOX0RS product by MISTAKE.

So right now it's boxed up and sitting in my apartment only as a BLOCK OF LIES AND DECEIT AND DESPAIR.

I'm going back later today to pickup the real thing.

THE HD REVOLUTION OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T WANT ME AND IS FIGHTING BACK WITH EVERY OUNCE OF EVIL IT CAN MUSTER

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2008, 02:49:30 PM »
Is right now a very good time to get a new TV?  I probably don't buy a new tv more than every 6 years. 

Frozen Shoe Games

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2008, 04:59:21 PM »
Is right now a very good time to get a new TV?  I probably don't buy a new tv more than every 6 years. 

There's never a good time to get a new TV, in the grand scheme.  Good, long-lasting technology is slow to roll out (and unforseen problems like early HDTV gaming lag are quick to bite), and prices are somewhat slow to fall.  If your current TV broke, then anytime soon would seem like a very good time to get a new TV, but that's an extreme case.

What's always applicable is getting a TV you'd like at a GREAT price.  At least that's my view.

My Samsung HLT5687 review will follow.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2008, 05:00:16 PM »

There's never a good time to get a new TV, in the grand scheme.  Good, long-lasting technology is slow to roll out (and unforseen problems like early HDTV gaming lag are quick to bite), and prices are somewhat slow to fall.  If your current TV broke, then anytime soon would seem like a very good time to get a new TV, but that's an extreme case.

What's always applicable is getting a TV you'd like at a GREAT price.  At least that's my view.

My Samsung HLT5687 review will follow.

Well the thing is, my 25" RF only Zenith is looking pretty shitty...

Frozen Shoe Games

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2008, 05:02:29 PM »
"What's always applicable is getting a TV you'd like at a GREAT price.  At least that's my view."

"Well the thing is, my 25" RF only Zenith is looking pretty shitty..."

How does your wallet look?

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2008, 08:52:20 PM »
"What's always applicable is getting a TV you'd like at a GREAT price.  At least that's my view."

"Well the thing is, my 25" RF only Zenith is looking pretty shitty..."

How does your wallet look?

Good, I'd say 900-1000 dollars max. I don't need anything giant. Just nice and good quality.  That reasonable?  I haven't sold TVs for quite a while now...

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2008, 01:41:15 AM »
my tv cost me 1000 bucks and its nice and big Samsung 42 inch Plasma, but I am sure people will yell at me for even suggesting a Plasma.