Author Topic: Paper Mario for Wii U: Time for Evan_B to RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE  (Read 15604 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Paper Mario for Wii U: Time for Evan_B to RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2016, 04:26:51 PM »
I didn't like Thousand Year door, the first was playable but not memorable. I loved Super Paper Mario but felt it needed less talking and more platforming.
Hm. We should probably never delve deeper into this subject.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2016, 11:04:30 PM »
At the time it had been over a decade since a proper 2D Mario game had been released for the home  console, so when Super Paper Mario was announced, to me at least, it felt closer to a true Mario game than Sunshine, or Galaxies did so I enjoyed it as a close enough. Then New Super Mario Bros. took off and I liked it very much.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2016, 11:38:08 PM »
I seem to be in the minority that thinks the original New Super Mario Bros. was a great game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2016, 11:46:08 PM »
I seem to be in the minority that thinks the original New Super Mario Bros. was a great game.

It's just so damn bland. I get not wanting to go too nuts after not having anything like it for so long, but they played it way too safe. It's not bad, it's just completely forgettable (except the multiplayer, which was amazing and needs to come back in some form).

As for Super Paper Mario, I've said before it's a great idea that wasn't executed as well as it should have been. I'd love them to go back to that formula and tweak it to be leaner and tighter. As good as the dialogue in those games are, the first one had way too much of it, and if they could cut that down and get rid of the endless fetch quests it could be amazing.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2016, 11:55:21 PM »

Don't mistake what I said as it not being a great game I LOVED IT, but I said console, CONSOLE is not the same as handheld to me. I get how some people confuse the two but having a game on the portable does not replace not having a proper console version to me. And it was odd that New Super Mario Bros. was a hand held game to begin with when it played so much like a console Mario game and little like past handheld Mario games anyways. The first New Super Mario Bros. is one of my all time favorite games, and my number 3 favorite Mario game,  but it  is not a console game.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2016, 02:00:12 PM »
The whole hook of NSMB was that it was a new 2D Mario game and we hadn't seen one of those in a while.  Now that they routinely release 2D Marios the novelty of returning to the gameplay style is gone so the game just comes across as very bland and generic.  I frankly found it boring even when it was current.  NSMB Wii was much more up my alley.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2016, 02:25:18 PM »
Yeah, looking at sales, I can't find a figure for the N64 Paper Mario which probably means it sold less than a million. Paper Mario GCN is 2.24 million and Super Paper Mario is 4.23 million. Sales could be a reason why they started experimenting with the series, however the GCN Paper Mario sold better than the N64 game, on a system with a lower userbase no less, and that 2.24 figure means it has about a 10% attach rate. Probably better stats to consider than just the numbers, but I'm not so sure they did.

I am so livid right now I don't even know what to say.
Well, the topic title did once say you were going to freak out, but it didn't say if it would be a good or bad freak out. So, say whatever you wanna say!

It's actually probably one of my fave DS games.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2016, 08:39:27 PM »
(except the multiplayer, which was amazing and needs to come back in some form)

PLEASE.

Give me a 3DS Downloadable title with a bunch of new levels and download play and I'll pay $50 for it.

Throw in a level based off of Arcade Mario Bros. and the last Arcade Donkey Kong levels and I'll pay $100.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2016, 02:01:59 AM »
Well, the topic title did once say you were going to freak out, but it didn't say if it would be a good or bad freak out. So, say whatever you wanna say!
I think I've made myself pretty clear on the subject, but once more, with feeling:

The Paper Mario franchise, to me, was once a worthy successor to the ideas that Super Mario RPG presented with arguably more novel gameplay, aesthetic charm, and complexity layered underneath an easily-approachable exterior. With the advent of Mario and Luigi, Nintendo doesn't seem to think both franchises can coexist as RPGs (which is silly, as they both did different things that made them unique and novel, though IN MY OPINION Mario and Luigi has never been as good a franchise) and has decided to make Paper Mario... well, not an RPG. Whether it's some weird action-platformer like Super Paper Mario or an aesthetically gorgeous but creatively bankrupt and mechanically broken affair like Sticker Star, they can't seem to figure out an angle for the character outside of "he's made of paper".

With a Wii U title, they had the opportunity to return to the series' roots with gorgeous HD textures that would have struck a balance between "he's made of paper" and what FANS of the series have wanted ever since it went sort-of-then-totally-then-spun-off-out-of-whack. But, if our rumor cats are to be trusted, Nintendo doesn't think the Wii U needs RPGs (because goodness knows 2D Platformers are the only thing that can be on Wii U) and they don't think people want Paper Mario to be good again. Or maybe it's Intelligent Systems that thinks that. Probably them, since they haven't had a good idea outside of Code Name S.T.E.A.M. for a long damn time.

So **** you, Nintendo.

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »
I think I've made myself pretty clear on the subject, but once more, with feeling:

The Paper Mario franchise, to me, was once a worthy successor to the ideas that Super Mario RPG presented with arguably more novel gameplay, aesthetic charm, and complexity layered underneath an easily-approachable exterior. With the advent of Mario and Luigi, Nintendo doesn't seem to think both franchises can coexist as RPGs (which is silly, as they both did different things that made them unique and novel, though IN MY OPINION Mario and Luigi has never been as good a franchise) and has decided to make Paper Mario... well, not an RPG. Whether it's some weird action-platformer like Super Paper Mario or an aesthetically gorgeous but creatively bankrupt and mechanically broken affair like Sticker Star, they can't seem to figure out an angle for the character outside of "he's made of paper".

With a Wii U title, they had the opportunity to return to the series' roots with gorgeous HD textures that would have struck a balance between "he's made of paper" and what FANS of the series have wanted ever since it went sort-of-then-totally-then-spun-off-out-of-whack. But, if our rumor cats are to be trusted, Nintendo doesn't think the Wii U needs RPGs (because goodness knows 2D Platformers are the only thing that can be on Wii U) and they don't think people want Paper Mario to be good again. Or maybe it's Intelligent Systems that thinks that. Probably them, since they haven't had a good idea outside of Code Name S.T.E.A.M. for a long damn time.

So **** you, Nintendo.

Doesn't it feel good to get that out of your system. I been saying that ever since they turned Mario into a PSA for cleaning your room and Zelda into a PBS animated special. Then to really piss everyone off they name their follow up to the amazing Game Cube the fucking Nintendo Piss. GRRR!!!!

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2016, 05:34:27 PM »
I mean, this is also the company that gave me Xenoblade Chronicles X and Pikmin 3, so... sadly, it kinda all evens out.