Author Topic: Episode 22: Used Samurai  (Read 11567 times)

Offline Tizona

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 22: Used Samurai
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 12:00:25 PM »
My biggest concern about this "no used games" thing is that, while yes Zach it will hurt Gamestop, they will still outlast and push through while every independent and locally owned game shop bites the dust. The simple truth is that, the way margin is set on new games, it's virtually impossible for game only retailers to turn a profit with out a robust used games business.
If this does come to pass, expect all of the local shops and indie online retailers to die long before Gamestop. That's not something I want to see.
"Hear the crashing, see the flames and the sparks! TIZONA!"

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 09:44:13 PM »
It's not like you can't buy NEW copies of OLDER games. I just looked for Odin Sphere on eBay. It's right there, for a perfectly reasonable sum of money. And keep in mind that retail games ALWAYS drop in price. So six months after its release, Halo 6 is going to be $40. Dude, you can buy ODST at Target for $10. YEARS after that game's initial release. People buy used games because they're cheaper. But the point is, ALL games drop in price before long.

Heck, I was Play 'n' Trade selling the original Uncharted for $40 (used) when new copies had been dropped to $30.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
It's not like you can't buy NEW copies of OLDER games. I just looked for Odin Sphere on eBay. It's right there, for a perfectly reasonable sum of money. And keep in mind that retail games ALWAYS drop in price. So six months after its release, Halo 6 is going to be $40. Dude, you can buy ODST at Target for $10. YEARS after that game's initial release. People buy used games because they're cheaper. But the point is, ALL games drop in price before long.

Heck, I was Play 'n' Trade selling the original Uncharted for $40 (used) when new copies had been dropped to $30.

Why is Donkey Kong Country Returns still selling for $40 plus dollars nealry two years after its release? Is it because it is a Nintendo game?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 09:57:14 PM »
Yes. Nintendo games, for whatever reason, retain their value (probably because they're the best games on their respective systems). Do note, however, that within about three months of its release, Other M was almost in the bargain bin.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 10:37:14 PM »
Nintendo games hold their value because people keep buying them at that price. Nintendo published games that don't sell all that well, like Other M or Sin & Punishment 2, drop in price just like any other game. Whereas New Super Mario Bros. Wii (and DS) still sell well at full retail, and you'd have to be pretty dumb to lower the price when people keep buying it at the current one.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 10:38:04 PM »
Yes. Nintendo games, for whatever reason, retain their value (probably because they're the best games on their respective systems). Do note, however, that within about three months of its release, Other M was almost in the bargain bin.

I paid full price for that game and I am not sure whether I like or hate it. Just whne I start to like It then I begin to hate it. Those pixel were the worst and the final boss/cinematic was such a bad idea in developer terms because it does not allow you to save or get health before fighting MB. Such a pain in the ass final battle. 
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 11:51:27 PM »

Atlus games. Xseed games. Go find new N64 games, Zach. When you do, let me know, and I'll admit you have a point. Until then, you're just stupid in your blind GameStop hatred.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 04:29:05 PM »
Well, then you'd better buy Atlas and Xseed games new, Neal. :-D

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »
I'm still waiting, Zach. Go find me a brand new N64 game.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 03:18:33 AM »
You probably can't. And honestly, there's a statute of limitations on these things. Three generations later, it's tough to find a used N64 game. Go figure. But my point about new games dropping in price relatively quickly still stands.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 09:43:43 AM »
My local "Game X Change" has tons of used N64 games. I've been meaning to go in there and pick up Iggy's Wrecking Balls... maybe I will soon.  I did get NHL '94 on SNES late last year, though.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!