Author Topic: Recommend Any Good Gamecube Games  (Read 33337 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend Any Good Gamecube Games
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2011, 04:58:32 PM »
Instead of creating the classic controller, Nintendo should have just created a bluetooth version of the Wavebird and just went with that. I absolutely loathe the classic controller, because it is mostly a clone of the playstation controller and I hate the layout. I loved the GC controller and was very upset that Nintendo abandoned it.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2011, 05:07:15 PM »
I actually found a white classic controller with a Gamecube cable on Ebay.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=classic+controller+gamecube&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »
Why the hell would you want to play GameCube games with a Classic Controller? The CC makes sense for VC games, but anything where you'd want to use the analog stick would be a thousand times better with a GameCube controller.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2011, 05:50:19 PM »
Why the hell would you want to play GameCube games with a Classic Controller? The CC makes sense for VC games, but anything where you'd want to use the analog stick would be a thousand times better with a GameCube controller.

Indeed, and there are a handful of games that use the Analog Shoulder Buttons that would just not work with that controller, like Rogue Squadron.  I love my Classic Controller Pro, but its primary use is for VC/WiiWare games and the few Wii games that support it.  I wish Nintendo would just issue a new version of the Wavebird (despite allegedly "losing the mold").  Sure, you can find GameCube controllers, but I prefer to play Wirelessly and I only have one Wavebird left.  I feel like I have to ration it on the rare times I want to play a GC game.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2011, 05:52:53 PM »

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=classic+controller+gamecube&_sacat=See-All-Categories

What you may want to find is a GC controller with a Wiimote plug in the bottom.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »

What you may want to find is a GC controller with a Wiimote plug in the bottom.

Now that would be worth something.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2011, 06:21:54 PM »
I have been playing Timespliters 2 and that game is good. I wish that they would come out with a Timesplitters collection for the Wii that featured updated graphics and pointer controls like the Conduit. Now that would be a deal.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2011, 06:25:07 PM »
Why the hell would you want to play GameCube games with a Classic Controller?

Agreed. That's just dumb.

Anyway, you can buy wireless GC controllers made by third parties. I doubt the quality of most of them will be nearly as good as that of the wavebird, though. When it comes to third party controllers its really a crap shoot. There's so many of them and the level of quality varies widely.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:27:53 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2011, 08:00:27 PM »
I would much rather use the Cube controller for an anlog sticked game than the CC.  And the Cube controller was so comfortable and ergonomic.

But I hated the button layout and hated the useless d-pad.  The Cube controller is like a pretty girl with short hair.  So close to perfect yet damaged by the flaws.

Like pretty much every piece of hardware from Nintendo from the N64 on, the Cube controller is amazing for Nintendo's purposes but borderline useless for everything else.

One thing I like about the CC Pro is that it attempts to be more universal.  It isn't great for everything but it is at least decent.  The Cube control was either great or crap.  The "jack of all trades, master of none" design is a better approach for a controller or, hell, a videogame system.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2011, 08:11:18 PM »
Did any game actually use the analogue shoulder buttons in a meaningful way? Luigi's Mansion came close... but I can think of no game that would become difficult to play if using a Classic Controller and the digital shoulder buttons registered simply as the GameCube's shoulder buttons being pressed in all the way.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2011, 08:16:14 PM »
The Cube controller is like a pretty girl with short hair.  So close to perfect yet damaged by the flaws.

There's so much wrong in that analogy that I don't know where to begin.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »
Did any game actually use the analogue shoulder buttons in a meaningful way? Luigi's Mansion came close... but I can think of no game that would become difficult to play if using a Classic Controller and the digital shoulder buttons registered simply as the GameCube's shoulder buttons being pressed in all the way.

Rogue Squadron increased the speed of your spacecraft the more you pushed the shoulders in, with a speed boost activated when you pressed the shoulders in all the way.  Other than that, I can't think of a game that used the shoulder buttons meaningfully.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2011, 08:20:24 PM »
The Cube controller is like a pretty girl with short hair.  So close to perfect yet damaged by the flaws.

There's so much wrong in that analogy that I don't know where to begin.

I was going to say the same thing. Short hair isn't a flaw; its a style.
is your sanity...

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2011, 08:20:18 AM »
A miss-guided style; like capri pants.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »
Some people like the Cube button layout, some people like short hair on girls.  I don't like either so the analogy works for me.

Anyway another example of shoulder button usage is in Super Mario Sunshine.  How far you press effects the water pressure and if you click the button Mario stands still and the stick lets you aim.  How lame is Mario Sunshine that everyone forgets such a crucial part of the gameplay?

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2011, 02:27:50 PM »
Some people like the Cube button layout, some people like short hair on girls.  I don't like either so the analogy works for me.

Anyway another example of shoulder button usage is in Super Mario Sunshine.  How far you press effects the water pressure and if you click the button Mario stands still and the stick lets you aim.  How lame is Mario Sunshine that everyone forgets such a crucial part of the gameplay?

Pff you had to drop that didn't you? Sunshine is not lame like forum troll. It is an extremely good game with excellent personality. Its just been raped by Galaxy.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2011, 02:41:47 PM »

Pff you had to drop that didn't you? Sunshine is not lame like forum troll. It is an extremely good game with excellent personality. Its just been raped by Galaxy.

I actually believe Sunshine got raped by the water cannon stuff. Not Mario-like at all.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2011, 03:05:19 PM »
I think Sunshine would be more appreciated critically (at the expense of being less successful commercially) if it weren't a Mario game. It's a really good game (outside of the blue coin bullshit) that has the misfortune of having to be compared to Super Mario 64 and the Galaxy games, which are among the greatest games ever made.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2011, 03:08:19 PM »
I think Sunshine would be more appreciated critically (at the expense of being less successful commercially) if it weren't a Mario game. It's a really good game (outside of the blue coin bullshit) that has the misfortune of having to be compared to Super Mario 64 and the Galaxy games, which are among the greatest games ever made.
QFT
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2011, 03:11:50 PM »

Mario Sunshine is a good game.  But it is easily the black sheep of the Mario games.  Case in point it was so forgetable that it took a couple of posts for someone to remember it was a Cube game that required the analog triggers.  It's a lame game in the sense that it lacks the "special" status that most Mario platformers have.

It really just isn't fun.  I play the Galaxy's and Mario 64 and I have lots of fun.  Sunshine is just like there.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2011, 03:15:15 PM »
That doesn't mean the game was forgettable, just that that particular control mechanic was forgettable. I'll bet plenty of people forgot that you could connect a GBA to Wind Waker to get help from Tingle, but that doesn't make it any less of a game.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2011, 03:27:37 PM »
I'm sure SMS did have some impact on the GC being in 3rd place. It was a good game except for the fact the water thing was strapped to Mario's back the whole game. If it had just been a powerup thing that you use at certain times and then unequipped it and returned to a traditional Mario platformer experience then it would have been a much better game. The problem was it wasn't a temporary powerup, so it was always there and got boring after awhile. I'm sure the same thing would be true if Mario ALWAYS had a Tanooki suit, instead of it just being a temporary powerup....

But with that said, I have to say that I don't think SMS was as bad compared to other Mario games as Metroid:Other M was to its respective franchise. SMS may have been a lackluster game (by Mario standards), but at least it wasn't Other M bad.

ETA: The reason I said it has something to do with the GC being in 3rd place is because it was the ONLY Mario platformer that came out on the GC. Every other Nintendo system had strong Mario platformers except for the GC. The Wii has NSMB and SMG1&2. The SNES and NES had a large share of Mario games too. But what did the GC have? SMS and that's it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 04:54:52 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2011, 05:04:36 PM »
I don't normally think about the controls of a game when I'm playing, especially if the layout works well, so I often forget exactly which buttons/commands perform which actions because I just respond, I don't think "press A" every time I make Mario jump (is it A?). The only reason I remember Luigi's Mansion using the analogue of the shoulder buttons is because it was the first game I played that used them, so it sticks out in my mind as being a first experience. Notice how I didn't mention what the shoulder buttons actually do in the game; I don't remember that detail, but I do know they were used.

Super Mario Sunshine is a plenty fine Mario game, the problem is that some fans are too narrow-minded as to what makes a Mario game. My issue with the game has nothing to do with the water pack, it's that the game was clearly rushed out the door, and so there are way too many filler shines, most notably all those blue coins. As much as I enjoy the game, I've never collected all 120 shines because it simply isn't fun to do so, I'll get about 80 and then be done with that playthrough.

It was a good game except for the fact the water thing was strapped to Mario's back the whole game. If it had just been a powerup thing that you use at certain times and then unequipped it and returned to a traditional Mario platformer experience then it would have been a much better game.
You mean like all of those sections where the water pack is stripped from you? Coincidentally, most critics considered those to be the best parts of the game, which is likely because, at the time, they were the closest a 3D Mario game has come to being like the NES games in 3D. It's my guess that the sections partially inspired Super Mario Galaxy, which may have to do with the positive critical response or the ideas that sparked from creating them or maybe even both.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2011, 05:05:39 PM »
The SNES only had one Mario platformer too (SMW 2: YI was really a Yoshi game as Mario just sat on Yoshi's back). It was a pretty good game, I would say it was even better than SM64 (which was the only Mario platformer on that system).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2011, 05:10:26 PM »
The N64 only had one as well. I think Chozo was talking just about quality, but made it confusing when he mentioned that there were several on the Wii. Most people would argue that Mario 64 and Mario World were a lot better games than Sunshine, even though they're wrong about the second part because Super Mario World sucks. /derailed

J.P. Corbran