Author Topic: Smash Bros. Control Details  (Read 9005 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Smash Bros. Control Details
« on: November 26, 2007, 02:51:23 AM »
Customize your controls to the nth degree, then save them on your Wii Remote.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=14865

Controls for Brawl have long been a source of discussion and worry among Smash Bros. fans, and the official "Dojo" blog continues to feed more information regarding the extensive options available to players.  The newest update details how button configurations can be changed and saved for all four controller options (Remote, Nunchuk, Classic, and GameCube).    

Players can set up a named profile that stores custom button layouts for all four controller options at once.  Every single function can be re-mapped and tested within this menu.  You can even disable the "up-jumping" on controllers with joysticks, which may help some players activate upwards attacks without accidentally jumping instead.  (Jumping would still be assigned to at least one face button.)  It appears that the C-stick smash attacks, so infamous in Melee and now available on both GameCube and Classic controllers, has the possibility of being disabled by moving it to another part of the controller, although the blog does not specifically mention this.    

One new announcement in this update is that the Remote/Nunchuk option (also known simply as "Nunchuk") has a feature called "Shake Smash".  It allows the player to execute a smash attack by simply shaking the Wii Remote in that direction.  Unlike the C-stick smashes of Melee, this feature can be disabled from the button configuration menu.    

Once you have arranged your control preferences for all four controller options, you can save your profile name and all controller layouts to the Wii Remote's internal memory.  This feature allows you to easily transport your preferences by taking your controller to a friend's house.  To date, Brawl is only the second Wii application to use the Remote's internal memory for long-term data storage; the Mii Channel allows you to store a Mii on the Remote.  It is not yet clear whether the extremely limited data storage will allow both a Mii and Brawl controller data to be stored on the same Remote simultaneously.    

The blog update ends with Masahiro Sakurai finally admitting what Smash Bros. fans have been saying for months about this game:    

"Wow. I hate to say it, but we really have thought of everything."

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Smash Bros. Control Details
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 04:00:30 AM »
For online play's sake they better allow people to disable c-stick smashes.  With Melee my friends and I could just agree to not use them.  We still did of course but it was a dirty play you hoped to sneak in without anyone noticing.  And if anyone noticed, well, let's just say having someone right next to you makes it easier to punish them.  But if Jack Off from the other side of the world cheats on you you can't do anything.  If they really have thought of everything they'll allow this level of customization for online play.

Though I actually do trust these guys to think of everything.  They sure as hell have so far.  

Offline sycomonkey

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • my blog
RE:Smash Bros. Control Details
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 04:36:09 AM »
Why... why would ruin Smash like that?  C-stick smashing is a vital part of the game!  You could never win a real SSB:M tourney without C-stick smashs.  It's not cheap or cheating, it's one of the most fundamental moves in the game.  The move is still pretty weak compared to charged smashs.

It's not like one person has them and another doesn't.  Unless their controller is broken.
I find the lack of sig images annoying. I have this nice image I use as my sig in all my other forums and I can't use it here.  So instead I'll just complain...

The universe will not be altered by forum threads, even those which are very wry. --Tycho Brahe (Penny Arcade)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 04:46:35 AM »
How's that unfair? Because it allows you to make sure the smash detection doesn't pull a false negative on you?

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 05:03:34 AM »
I defend Ian. C-Stick Smashing is crap. Just because you guys find it ok doesn't mean everyone does, so hopefully Sakurai & co. realize this and put the option in there to disable a feature not enjoyed by many.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 05:10:19 AM »
if its in the game its not cheating, if they can do it, than you can do it to. Its like the soviets and the usa with nuclear weapons.  They both had them, they both COULD have used them.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline singleman23

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 05:15:08 AM »
c-stick smash were annoying but not unavoidable.... i have never used it, didnt even know it exsisted for the first few months i had the game and after that just got used to doing it manually so the idea of using it felt akward. point is i dont have a problem with it, for me its just the only way weaker players can keep up.  
2186-4072-3894-5573
Late to the party, as usual

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 05:26:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
I defend Ian. C-Stick Smashing is crap. Just because you guys find it ok doesn't mean everyone does, so hopefully Sakurai & co. realize this and put the option in there to disable a feature not enjoyed by many.

I hate it when I'm playing someone in Mario vs. Luigi mode on New Super Mario Bros. and the person I'm playing against gets power ups.  I mean, just because *they* like using the mechanics of the game to their advantage, it doesn't mean everyone does.  Hopefully, future Mario games will completely disable power ups in vs. modes.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 05:26:38 AM »
You know what the C in C-Stick stands for don't you?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 05:38:25 AM »
C me kick your butt?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 05:39:22 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack

I hate it when I'm playing someone in Mario vs. Luigi mode on New Super Mario Bros. and the person I'm playing against gets power ups.  I mean, just because *they* like using the mechanics of the game to their advantage, it doesn't mean everyone does.  Hopefully, future Mario games will completely disable power ups in vs. modes.

While sarcasm is noted, I actually couldn't agree more. Games should have more customization to strip out powerups and such. It's very annoying when playing Mario Kart for instance that I can't completely turn off certain powerups. Just because they are available in the game doesn't mean you *have to* use them. Why is customization so terrible? PC Gaming has thrived in that department for years and years.  
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 06:30:25 AM »
CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:37:13 AM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 07:22:28 AM »
Nice to see the C stick debate raging on after, what, six years?

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 07:24:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale

"Camera," if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 07:27:05 AM »

Originally posted by: LuigiHann

Originally posted by: Pale

"Camera," if I'm not mistaken.

nuh-uh
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 07:56:33 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Nice to see the C stick debate raging on after, what, six years?

Hey man, this thing is bigger than you and me, and C-Sticks! This is about customization in video games and what it means to enjoy a game as an individual.

/Corny voice from a character in an 80s movie
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 08:03:38 AM »
"if its in the game its not cheating, if they can do it, than you can do it to."

Then I suppose snaking in F-Zero isn't cheating either.

I'm actually surprised there is so much support for c-stick smashing here.  Back when Melee came out I remember everyone here crapping on that.  It was the one common complaint.  I'm just shocked that the sheer suggestion of an OPTION to turn it off is getting any sort of negative response (actually I'm not shocked at all considering how Nintendo ever providing a lack of options is typically defended, but I SHOULD be).  You can turn off specfic power-ups in Melee.  You can pick what stage you want.  You can have limited lives or a time limit.  SSB is traditionally FULL of options and having one for this, which is something that has been controversial with fans since Melee came out, makes sense to me.

Does anyone who likes c-stick smashing or is indifferent to it deprived in some way if the option is available?  No.  So I don't understand why anyone is against this suggestion.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 08:44:52 AM »
Personally I don't really care. I feel c-stick smashs put the player at a shear disadvantage anyway.  Anyone who actually uses c-stick smashes against me got their ass kicked.  
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 09:14:20 AM »
For the record....your wrong about this being the only game along with the mii channel to use the wii-motes internal memory.  The Pokemon Battle revolution game used it to store your pokemon to and take to a friends house.

About the C-stick issue.  It's there, it's in the game to be used.  If you have to use it non-stop all the time.  Your no better than someone who corners someone in a fighting game and does non-stop kicks or punches to get a cheap win.  So use it, just to use it to an extream that pisses everyone off
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline sycomonkey

• View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 09:17:27 AM »
Honestly this is the first I've heard of anyone having something against c-smashs.  I guess it's a holdover from the first SSB (the one for the N64).  I never played it, but they said that it didn't have the move at all, so I can imagine how the idea of a smash from a simple stick flick could feel wrong to someone brought up on the original flavor of smash...

I just feel like, if you approach the game with a clean slate, and consider the move on it's own merits, it is not any different than any other particular move in any other fighting game.  It has it's strengths and weaknesses, which depend on character and skill set.  It's a strong move, to be certain, but regular smashes are much stronger.  You can't c-smash while holding an item.  It is an important part of the SSB:M mechanic, and so it will probably be an important part of the SSB:B mechanic, so I don't really see why they would even bother coding in an option to turn it off.  It's a simple thing to do, so maybe they just will anyway, but I kind of doubt it.
I find the lack of sig images annoying. I have this nice image I use as my sig in all my other forums and I can't use it here.  So instead I'll just complain...

The universe will not be altered by forum threads, even those which are very wry. --Tycho Brahe (Penny Arcade)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 10:35:49 AM »
I'M WITH IAN ON THIS ONE.

C-STICKING IS CRAP.  THE REST OF YOU ARE WEAK.

YOU COULDN'T USE IT DURING EVENT MATCHES, SO WHY IS IT 'OK' IN MULTIPLAYER?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline SkiDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 12:35:49 PM »
What I want to know is if the Wii remote can hold control configurations for a Gamecube controller.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2007, 12:43:56 PM »
C-Stick a basic move in the game is horrible, but cliff hopping (or whatever goofy name it was called) and animation exploits are A-ok in tournaments.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline singleman23

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 02:38:47 PM »
i personally am not against the option to turn it off, I just don't really have an issue with it being kept on. Though the idea of being able to turn it on or off is great, for those who are annoyed with it, instant relief, for those who dont know how to play the game with out it can mingle with others who feel the same way. Or enjoy using a true manual smash attack against the weaker c-stick ones.

Since we are tossing are feelings in this I think there should be an option to turn off StarFox. Man I hate Fox.
2186-4072-3894-5573
Late to the party, as usual

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 01:18:11 AM »
Really, what's the beef with the c-stick? Is the game balanced so badly that always pulling smash moves is a good idea?