Author Topic: The Suffering...Canceled  (Read 10104 times)

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Suffering...Canceled
« on: October 28, 2003, 11:35:45 AM »
I was really looking forward to Midway's The Suffering, but IGN is reporting that the GameCube version is now canceled. This comes just a few days after they posted an update on this game, with new screenshots from the GameCube build. It's still being released on PS2 and X-Box - do you think there is any chance that Midway might reconsider this decision and release the game for the 'Cube later on?
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: The Suffering...Canceled
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 11:40:10 AM »
I'll never buy Mortal Kombat again...
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 11:59:08 AM »
Well look at the bright side.  It's a Midway game and thus has a 97% chance of sucking so it may not be much of a loss anyway.

What sort of companies are pulling back support?  Let's see me have Acclaim, Midway, Eidos... I'm noticing a pattern of publishers that SUCK!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 12:02:47 PM »
But...

Burnout 2, Timesplitters 2, Hitman 2, and The Suffering were all games I like/have great interest in.  The potential's really there.

When they pull their support, THAT'S what really makes them SUCK.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:The Suffering...Canceled
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 12:03:20 PM »
Midway?  Please...The thing that would upset me concerning Midway is if they confirmed they were making another Rush game and it wasn't coming out on Ninty's system...Make Rush and not this other crap, stupid Midway!

And Free Radical isn't with Eidos anymore, so you don't have to worry about not getting the next TS installment...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Gup

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 12:04:08 PM »
I like blood and all in my games and anime shows, but there is something about The Suffering's bloodiness that turned me off, maybe there is just way too much.
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 12:07:48 PM »
seriously what the fuck......?
i mean this is a rediculous time to start pulling support when gamecube is doing SUPER WELL......i mean their on the brink of DESCIMATING xbox's 2nd place in the U.S.  Ever since the price drop they've been selling like hotcakes...this is one of those short sided things you would only see an american company like midway pull. God bless Retro.....
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 12:09:02 PM »
Considering Ninty owns Retro, I wouldn't see them pulling Ninty support anytime soon...

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 12:25:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Gup
I like blood and all in my games and anime shows, but there is something about The Suffering's bloodiness that turned me off, maybe there is just way too much.

There can never be enough blood
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2003, 01:35:08 PM »
According to IGN, the reason Midway cancelled it was because they "want to concentrate on the leading platforms in the marketplace when it comes to launching original product."

What kind of logic are the people who run these businesses (Midway, Eidos, Acclaim) following?
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2003, 01:45:45 PM »
Most likely the, "Nintendo fans don't buy crap" philosophy...

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 01:49:19 PM »
Midway's a bunch of idiots- I could maybe understand this action earlier this year, but after the price drop sales have skyrocketed all across the world. If anything, 3rd parties should be reinstating their cancelled projects (which, according to IGN, a lot of them are doing). No wonder Midway almost went bankrupt.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2003, 02:03:25 PM »
I could care less about Midway or The Suffering.

Originally posted by: Professional 666
But...

Burnout 2, Timesplitters 2, Hitman 2, and The Suffering were all games I like/have great interest in.  The potential's really there.

When they pull their support, THAT'S what really makes them SUCK.

Burnout 2 - Developed by Criterion Games, published by Acclaim
Timesplitters 2 - Developed by Free Radical, published by Eidos Interactive
Hitman 2 - Developed by Io Interactive, published by Eidos Interactive

Personally, the only game of the bunch that I give a rat's ass about is Burnout 2.  But I don't really see what any of those 3 really have much to do with this conversation.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2003, 02:09:53 PM »
The point, ninja, is that Eidos and Acclaim publish those games a lot of people like, and both of them have pulled their Gamecube support. So unless Free Radical or Criterion get different publishers, which is very doubtful, further games made by them will not appear on the Gamecube. Personally, I absolutely loved Burnout 2 and especiall Timesplitters 2- better than Goldeneye, in my opinion.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2003, 02:11:06 PM »
The thing that turned me off when i looked at the back of the box of Hitman 2 was the number 59 under the memory card icon and before the word blocks, and as the PGC review of Hitman 2 they say 1 save is worth of 59 blocks. I heard great praise about burnout 2 and I own TS2 wich is a great shooter. Well we have less shovelware hogging the library now
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2003, 02:11:48 PM »
Acclaim has reduced their GameCube support.  Given that Burnout is about the only game they have that doesn't suck, I am sure that #3 will come to GameCube as well.  As far as Eidos goes, I could really care less.  Eidos doesn't make a single game I care about.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2003, 02:14:53 PM »
But both Burnout 2 and Timesplitters 2 sold poorly on the Gamecube, so it's very unlikely that those 2 games will be among the few Acclaim/Eidos titles that do make it onto the Gamecube.

Of course, Burnout 2 didn't sell well one the Cube because Acclaim didn't friggin ship any- it's almost as if they wanted it to sell bad. My EB still hasn't gotten their delivery.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2003, 02:25:35 PM »
Hello!  Free Radical is not working with Eidos anymore!  Old news!  

*sigh*

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2003, 02:29:18 PM »
Oh, well then scratch that about Timesplitters. But as far as I know, Criterion is still with Acclaim.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2003, 02:47:07 PM »

Of course, Burnout 2 didn't sell well one the Cube because Acclaim didn't friggin ship any- it's almost as if they wanted it to sell bad. My EB still hasn't gotten their delivery.

My Toys R' Us back in Lethbridge had some.  But afford it I could not.  When I moved up here and actually could afford it, I couldn't find it.  Go figure.  I did buy Burnout 1 though.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2003, 03:38:43 PM »
Midway amazes again, or does it.  This desicion makes no business sense at all.  Horror games have always sold well on Nintendo platforms.  They finally get a game that looks promising, and blow it again.  What other platform has as much original content as anything Nintendo.  Midway has their blinders on again and refuse to admit when something might sell that people want.  I was halfway interested in this game.  But oh well, guess not anymore.  There will probably be no more Midway titles in my collection from now on.  I only have 2 anyways out of my 32 games from them.  It is no wonder they almost had to shut their doors and close up shop, with desicions like this left and right.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2003, 03:44:06 PM »
I've come up with a way to understand these rash of cancellations. If the Cube version was cancelled, then it was probably a piece of crap the publisher knew they wouldn't be able to sell to 'Cube owners.

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2003, 03:53:56 PM »
Really who cares about Midway all the stuff they make besides Hitz and Blitz aren't good enough to pull out of my gluteous maximus (I think thats how you spell it) Edios is almost always trying to make a cheap buck (Tomb Raider, any one?) and Acclaim... All I have to say about acclaim is this BMX XXX. get the picture??

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2003, 03:55:08 PM »
I was really interested in The Suffering- I've heard it's shaping up to be a great game. At least I have a PS2.

Offline NintendoFanGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2003, 04:32:01 PM »
I hope some of you write public relations at midway games and let them know what you think of
their decision to cancel this game.  I know I'm angry.  I even preordered the game a while back:

pr@midway.com