Author Topic: Mario Enters Polictics  (Read 3785 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Mario Enters Polictics
« on: August 14, 2003, 08:50:42 AM »
Nintendo uses the California recall process as an excuse to issue a press release about the "Mario Party."  How clever.

Despite Popular Support, Mario Terminates California Gubernatorial Recall Election Bid

Mario Party Activity Increases; 2004 Presidential Election Plans Still Undecided

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 14, 2003-- Video game pioneer Mario disappointed voters across the state of California today, confirming he will not be a candidate in the upcoming gubernatorial recall election.

Instead, he disclosed plans to focus on furthering the development of the Mario Party, a well-established, alternative grassroots movement for people who want to see real action from their candidates.

"The California recall election is too much of a circus, even for me, and I live in a world filled with Koopa Troopas and man-eating plants. Multi-player is good -- but this election is over the top," says Mario. "I definitely would have been the most animated candidate but, even in times of deep budget deficits, saving princesses has to take priority."

Beginning Nov. 11, Mario will launch the next stage in the evolution of the Mario Party. His first act will be restoring peace to Dream World, just one plank in a long list of guarantees in the Mario Party 5 platform. Running exclusively on the Nintendo GameCube(TM) ticket, Mario and trusted cabinet members Donkey Kong, Princess Peach, Luigi, Toad and others will take his message to the streets, campaigning non-stop across all-new game boards and through more than 60 free new mini-games.

However, Mario remains guarded about rumors of a Presidential bid in 2004.

"I've spent my life collecting coins, leaping over obstacles and fighting bosses, so obviously I have the necessary experience," says Mario. "But as all game players know, everything else must be put on hold until the limitless fun of Mario Party 5 is explored. Once that's done, I will make a decision."

Since breaking onto the scene in the classic 1981 arcade game Donkey KongĀ®, Mario has successfully jumped between console, arcade and hand-held systems, starring in games that have sold more than 165 million copies.

Like one of the better-known gubernatorial candidates, Mario is also a media celebrity and was born overseas. If he had continued with the race, Mario would have been one of the youngest gubernatorial candidates in California history. Because he dropped out of the election, Mario will not be disclosing his income or financial holdings, revealing only that he has enough money to buy all the Koopa shells he needs. Koopa shell options immediately jumped in after-hours market trading.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Mario Enters Polictics
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 08:56:23 AM »
That's the freaking wierdest thing I have ever read.  I approve.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline GaimeGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 09:41:49 AM »
Lol.  Wtf is NOA smoking? O_o

Offline thejips

• View Profile
RE:Mario Enters Polictics
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 09:52:27 AM »
The last few North American press releases NOA made were actually quite entertaining. I like this one too.

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 10:05:42 AM »
This is almost as funny as the EGG people that sent out a few press releases about the unethical treatment of Eggs in Billy Hatcher.
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2003, 10:15:47 AM »
AH!

It's good to read stuff like this because this is how gaming used to be back a decade ago. It's nice to see waves being made in the general public in ways that just makes the real world seem more wonderful.

Or something like that....

Offline SuperLink666

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2003, 10:39:40 AM »
That was weird, i liked Mario Golf better
www.warppipe.com
GameCube games - Playable online!

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2003, 10:52:52 AM »
NOA is seriously repressed by NCL, and it shows when they send out things like this. Hey, you KNOW headquarters in Japan didn't write this one. ;D

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2003, 12:08:54 PM »
NOA use crushing power to deploy Mario Party 5 game.  California election is destroyed under Mario Party 5 wrath.  California election, fear.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 12:40:25 PM »
What's sick is that he might have WON.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2003, 03:14:15 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
What's sick is that he might have WON.

What's sicker/sadder is that he couldn't have done worse that Grey has.

Offline Bonzeemer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2003, 03:55:03 PM »
It would have been more amusing if the headline
read "Wario,caught stealing funds from the
Mario party".
I'm bonzeemer..your not.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2003, 04:19:26 PM »
I would love to have seen him run. I wonder how they would of handled it when he won..
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline PS2stinks

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2003, 06:04:29 PM »
HAHAHAHAHA!!! THAT'S SOOOOOO FUNNY!!!!

but I feel bad for the people living in California.
Heh... I don't hate PS2. Just X-box.  

Offline Molobert

• topo de oro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2003, 10:31:36 PM »
I live in California. I kind of wish Mario had officially run, it would just prove how insane the recall really is (Arnold Schwarzenegger). Supposedly all you need to run is 70 signatures and about 10 grand, so IMO Mario could have easily become governor. Well, not really. But it sure would be cool.

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2003, 07:37:13 AM »
 Oops, hit the wrong button and posted a blank comment. Now I'm stuck saying something.

Arnold + California Recall = Total Recall?
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2003, 07:44:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Fammy2000
Oops, hit the wrong button and posted a blank comment. Now I'm stuck saying something.

Arnold + California Recall = Total Recall?

Do you have any idea how many times we have heard that joke here?