Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3161735 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Official Sales Thread
« Reply #9750 on: October 01, 2014, 02:21:57 PM »
And Bayonetta 2 plummets down the list, as we all knew it would (Destiny, too, for that matter). Well, let's see if it fails as badly in North America and Europe, where it feels like the game is getting a larger push.

On a side note, hopefully Fatal Frame does well enough after this week for Nintendo to consider bringing it West-side. I liked Fatal Frame 2, and lord knows the Wii U needs every game it can get these days.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 02:23:46 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9751 on: October 01, 2014, 02:24:05 PM »
The Wii was absolutely full of casual focused fare like Carnival Games and Petz and a million bad Wii Sports knock-offs and stuff like that.

So was the PS2, and the PS1. When a system sells a billion units and development costs are low it's going to get that kind of stuff regardless of "image."
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9752 on: October 01, 2014, 02:24:54 PM »
There goes the 100% shipment sold idea. If first week was 50% sell through at ~38,000 and second was down 82% at ~7,000 then either I'm horrible at math or they did not sell 100% of the initial shipments.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9753 on: October 01, 2014, 05:29:36 PM »
Even if you don't agree that the image is justified, does it not exist?
It does because you keep bringing it up so someone believes in it. However, it's hardly the majority opinion regardless of how much you weirdly and obsessively want it to. Nintendo has been making video games for well over 30 years and you think one generation has "cemented" this casual image? The prevailing attitude toward Nintendo is that people buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games... and pretty much nothing else. Is that sustainable? Yes. For $300+? Nope.

Wii U is selling poorly because collectively, it's been a mess since launch, inexplicably so. It's sad when folders on the menu screen is exciting news for the console.

« Reply #9754 on: October 01, 2014, 10:08:36 PM »
The Wii was absolutely full of casual focused fare like Carnival Games and Petz and a million bad Wii Sports knock-offs and stuff like that.

So was the PS2, and the PS1. When a system sells a billion units and development costs are low it's going to get that kind of stuff regardless of "image."

You missed the point, YES PS2 had tons of casual games DUH, it ALSO, as in IN ADDITION to the casuals had all as in every, hard core game released. That is entirely different really how can you not see that? Nobody is denying that Wii selling millions didn't help attract all the casual fluff that flooded it but UNLIKE the PS1/PS2 there was not that much of the traditional gamer stuff outside of the FEW Nintendo games that weren't casual focused and a few super popular multiplatform games. Wii was too flooded with casual crap weather you liked the casual stuff or not is a different story, maybe calling it crap is wrong but the point stands yes there were plenty of shovelware on Playstations 1 and 2 so what is the difference/ they had Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Twisted Metal, Kingdom Hearts, Grand Theft Auto, the list goes on and on, whereas Nintendo DIDN'T.

You can call it strawman all you want go back and read this very forum and you will see he is right, my god is your memory that bad? It wasn't literally everyone making those points but it was the prevailing mood for sure.

Everytime someone would bitch about Game Cube most would bring up it's superior specs, not everyone but most, enough that it made it appear as if that was the image. Nintendo doesn't only make casual fluff we all know that but the general public doesn't know that because even the few rare, and obscure non-casual game that does get released on the system gets lost in the sea of casual stuff.

The debate in Game Cube years was defining casual games, as there was a lot of contention over the level of depth a game supposedly had to have, again we are talking over all image not individual cases so using broad generalizations MATTER when you are talking about overall image, unless you are so blind you can't see outside your narrow view.

Even if you don't agree that the image is justified, does it not exist?
It does because you keep bringing it up so someone believes in it. However, it's hardly the majority opinion regardless of how much you weirdly and obsessively want it to. Nintendo has been making video games for well over 30 years and you think one generation has "cemented" this casual image? The prevailing attitude toward Nintendo is that people buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games... and pretty much nothing else. Is that sustainable? Yes. For $300+? Nope.

Wii U is selling poorly because collectively, it's been a mess since launch, inexplicably so. It's sad when folders on the menu screen is exciting news for the console.

I am guessing you never go to ANY OTHER website if you don't think it is the MAJORITY opinion. How else do you explain the low sales yes image does matter, justified or not image matters a lot, even if you personally disagree with the image you can't deny it exists in the masses collective minds.

I don't care if the specs are current or not, SNES and maybe Game Cube are the only two examples where Nintendo had a clear undeniable advantage in specs and those weren't their best selling consoles so clearly specs don't matter to everyone as much as they say, however, to be fair even those two cases the gap was not nearly as big as it is now. With SNES you had to look at the games side by side under a microscope in just the right conditions to tell which was 'superior' and in many cases they were close enough or nearly indistinguishable to most people, that isn't case TODAY where we have emulators and flat panel displays and other tools to improve the image on a normal tv back in the 90's in typical lighting conditions without doing side by side comparisons it was damn near impossible to just tell which was better because in most cases they weren't that different. Game Cube was similar, it had noticable avantages and it had noticable disavantages but if was still under normal conditions most people couldn't tell the difference and even today we have to rely on tweaked screenshots to "prove" the point.

Wii U is entirely different there is NO DENYING that it is not physically capable of doing what PS4/Xbox One can do, that doesn't mean it is bad or sucks or terrible but it is NOT on par with the other two. You could make a case, as some of you have tried, that they are in different markets anyways which I would almost accept but not really, if you have to go to the store and decide which one you are going to buy and you are weighing them against each other then they are comparable.

I also think he is right, check ANY top ten list of N64 games MOST NON-Nintendo centric sites put Goldeneye damn near the top if not the top spot. Even Nintendo centric sites it always gets a pretty favorable mention as does usually Perfect Dark and people still say Sin and Punishment is the "best game" on the system and it was a travesty it didn't get translated back in the day. Those are not all FPS games but there were enough games in that style to satisfy those gamers, fighting game and RPG fans were really the only ones who missed out owning an N64 every body else was well represented. It is not the case on Wii or even now with Wii U.

You said it has always been Nintendo fans buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games, NO because when Nintendo was new they were just that, NEW, the big boys were Atari and Commodore. Nintendo had to win people over, sure they didn't have to do much except oh promise to BUY BACK every unsold console if it failed, a pretty big gamble. People forget NES was a HUGE stroke of pure luck, Genesis kicked SNES ASS until SEGA threw in the towel to focus on Saturn, up to that point Genesis sold year over year more than SNES it was NOT until Sega quite that SNES pulled ahead and even then it took a massive push from Nintendo to remind people to "keep waiting" for the Ultra 64 just one more year, while everyone else was running out to buy a PS1. Wii was like NES it was pure luck plain and simple, everything they do is pure damn luck because nobody can explain why it works one time but then it doesn't a second time.

YES I know in the end SNES dominated Genesis but not until Sega gave up, saw that Saturn was failing to meet expectations and tried miserably to give it a second chance did they realize they missed their mark.Revisionist history tells it like SNES just walked all over Genesis which is flat out false.

Wii U is doing poorly because this time whatever forces out there that decide these things said no, pure dumb luck. Sony knows what they are doing, they recognized the mistake they made with Ps3 and refused to repeat that mistake and hey it worked, as predicted. IF Nintendo did exactly what Sony does everytime, which they NEVER HAVE, they would be on top because as we all know with their 1st party giants *and* strong 3rd party support  there would be no stopping them ever, oh well maybe next time, in three years, they can get it right, if the stars line up again, since it is LITERALLY too late to fix it, there is no way they can compete with PS5 (if there even is one) with exact specs no short cuts to sacrifices , they will never do that ever, if they were capable of it, or willing to, they would have done so every time.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9755 on: October 01, 2014, 10:24:56 PM »
I didn't miss any points. I refuted the argument Ian made that the system's image was the primary reason it got what it did. It was certainly part of it, but so were a bunch of other things.

Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Twisted Metal, Kingdom Hearts, Grand Theft Auto, the list goes on and on, whereas Nintendo DIDN'T.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I'd take Nintendo's first party output on Wii (or GameCube or Wii U) over that without a second thought.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9756 on: October 02, 2014, 12:50:26 AM »
I am guessing you never go to ANY OTHER website if you don't think it is the MAJORITY opinion. How else do you explain the low sales yes image does matter, justified or not image matters a lot, even if you personally disagree with the image you can't deny it exists in the masses collective minds.
Reading comprehension fail.

We weren't just discussing the vague concept of "image." Ian has specifically and repeatedly brought up "casual image." I didn't deny it exists; I very clearly said it does. There are people who are still pulling that card. I just don't think it's nearly as noteworthy today as Ian continually makes it out to be. It's one (minor) component on a laundry list of Wii U's issues.
You said it has always been Nintendo fans buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games
No, I didn't. I specifically said, "The prevailing attitude toward Nintendo is that people buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games... and pretty much nothing else." Prevailing doesn't mean "always;" it means "most common." Nintendo has had this problem for nearly 20 years. Nintendo has developed a reputation of having poor third party support, software droughts, and a general lackadaisical attitude toward industry trends. All of those things are still true today, and I find that image problem far more damaging and far more prevalent than the casual one Ian keeps trumpeting.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9757 on: October 02, 2014, 01:26:23 AM »
Instead of playing (many) games on Wii/DS people are complaining that it has a bad image...

Basically they whine because someone called them (and a console, plastic box they happen to own) a "bad" word.

"Mommy Nintendo, why won't you do something? They say bad things! Boo-hoo!"

If i would allow to shake my head at this, it'd fall off.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

« Reply #9758 on: October 02, 2014, 12:14:46 PM »
then I was mistaken I thought you were saying something else.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9759 on: October 02, 2014, 05:09:34 PM »
Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Twisted Metal, Kingdom Hearts, Grand Theft Auto, the list goes on and on, whereas Nintendo DIDN'T.
Maybe I'm just weird, but I'd take Nintendo's first party output on Wii (or GameCube or Wii U) over that without a second thought.
Same here, but of course the ideal situation would be to have both on one system. I have no idea how realistically that could be achieved though; if Nintendo designed different systems that would be more appealing to third-parties then that also means they would have different philosophies and there's no way to know how different their games would be as a result. And at least in the current situation, both exist.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9760 on: October 02, 2014, 05:36:27 PM »
If Nintendo were to release a console with the spec level and ease of development of the PS4 and Xbox One and do so more than a year ahead of their successors I think it'd certainly be possible.  The PS3 sold like **** for years, but got ports of third party games because of how easy it was to do that. If the Wii U had a couple more years as a contemporary before Sony and Microsoft released new hardware I think you'd've seen more of that kind of thing

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #9761 on: October 03, 2014, 01:07:52 AM »
maybe its left overs from being a Genesis first, Nintendo second, guy but I guess I never thought Nintendo's games were all that great. I mean yeah they have more great hits than most other studios but I think I fall in the camp of they make a few good games but they make more fluff than good so I ignore the fluff and that leaves very little else with what I am looking for. GameCube was the only time I was one console only and it was the only time I could live with the output on the machine, it was missing a lot of big titles but it had most of them that the ones it was missing weren't that big of a deal.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9762 on: October 03, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »
Same here, but of course the ideal situation would be to have both on one system. I have no idea how realistically that could be achieved though; if Nintendo designed different systems that would be more appealing to third-parties then that also means they would have different philosophies and there's no way to know how different their games would be as a result. And at least in the current situation, both exist.

I don't see how Nintendo's philosophies are different enough from third parties to make them incompatible.  It isn't like Nintendo's handhelds have no third party support and most of Nintendo's games would have been possible on competing hardware.  It's not like the Gamecube was really any different than the PS2 or Xbox in basic design.  Nintendo's infatuation with goofy controllers is a relatively recent phenomenon and for most of their games those ideas are tacked on anyway.  Frankly they made MUCH better games when their consoles were more generic which is really what third parties want.

The philosophical differences seem to be that Nintendo doesn't play well with others, exploiting their customers and treating third parties and retailers, who can help make them money, like competition.  I don't see how that negative part of their identity is necessary for them to be great game developer and that's the only part of Nintendo that matters to me.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9763 on: October 07, 2014, 07:41:08 AM »
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS has sold 2.8 million units world wide.

Strong launches in the Americas, Europe and Australia* have propelled the cumulative sales total for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS to more than 2.8 million sold worldwide. This first-ever portable installment of the game has resonated both with fans and critics, and its initial sales set Nintendo up for a strong holiday season.
* Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS launched on Sept. 13 in Japan, Oct. 3 in the Americas and Europe, and Oct. 4 in Australia. Cumulative sales reflect life-to-date totals in each of those regions. Data from Europe primarily covers Friday, Oct. 3 and Saturday, Oct. 4, as the great majority of retail outlets are closed on Sundays across Europe. All sales figures are Nintendo estimates for both digital downloads of games and physical sales.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
    • View Profile
« Reply #9764 on: October 08, 2014, 05:43:37 PM »
Japan numbers!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=908672

Top-seller: [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - 105.619 / 1.481.438

Nintendo 3DS/3DS XL sales:    22.490 /  16.262.335

PlayStation Vita/Vita TV sales:  14.432 /   3.284.556

Wii U sales: 7.805 /   1.948.042

PlayStation 4 sales : 8.033 /     726.079

Xbox One sales:  1.062 /     32.178

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2014 (Sep 29 - Oct 05)

01./01. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (Â¥5.616) - 105.619 / 1.481.438 (-4%)
02./00. [PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.10.02} (Â¥7.179) - 84.935 / NEW
03./04. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (Â¥4.937) - 62.887 / 2.655.326 (-6%)
04./00. [3DS] Kinki no Magna <SLG> (Marvelous) {2014.10.02} (Â¥6.458) - 23.250 / NEW
05./03. [PSV] DanganRonpa: Another Episode <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2014.09.25} (Â¥7.020) - 15.334 / 85.930 (-78%)
06./02. [PSV] The Legend Of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki II # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2014.09.25} (Â¥7.344) - 11.600 / 97.884 (-87%)
07./05. [PS3] The Legend Of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki II # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2014.09.25} (Â¥8.424) - 9.645 / 75.143 (-85%)
08./00. [PS4] Omega Quintet # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2014.10.02} (Â¥7.538) - 9.365 / NEW
09./00. [PSV] Ar Nosurge Plus: Ode to an Unborn Star # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.10.02} (Â¥6.264) - 9.240 / NEW
10./09. [PS3] Destiny <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.09.11} (Â¥8.532) - 7.317 / 87.307 (-40%)
11./07. [WIU] Fatal Frame: Oracle of the Sodden Raven <ADV> (Nintendo) {2014.09.27} (Â¥7.128) - 7.105 / 34.610 (-74%)
12./00. [PSV] Ciel Nosurge Offline: Ushinawareta Hoshi e Sasagu Uta # <ETC> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.10.02} (Â¥6.264) - 7.078 / NEW
13./00. [3DS] Nazotoki Battle Tore! Densetsu no Makyuu o Fukkatsu Saseyo! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.10.02} (Â¥5.119) - 6.739 / NEW
14./06. [3DS] Haikyu!! Tsunage! Itadaki no Keshiki!! # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.09.25} (Â¥6.145) - 4.777 / 48.615 (-89%)
15./11. [3DS] Dragon Quest X Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (Â¥4.104) - 4.696 / 101.145 (-34%)
16./15. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (Â¥6.156) - 4.517 / 682.767 (-24%)
17./00. [PS3] F1 2014 <RCE> (Codemasters) {2014.10.02} (Â¥7.992) - 4.366 / NEW
18./08. [PSV] Dungeon Travelers 2: Ouritsu Tokoshan to Mamono no Fuuin # <RPG> (Aqua Plus) {2014.09.25} (Â¥6.264) - 3.843 / 20.303 (-77%)
19./13. [PS4] Destiny # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.09.11} (Â¥8.532) - 3.442 / 114.214 (-47%)
20./12. [WIU] Bayonetta 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.09.20} (Â¥8.316) - 3.398 / 49.196 (-51%)

Top 20

3DS - 6
PSV - 5
PS3 - 4
WIU - 3
PS4 - 2

HARDWARE
Code: [Select]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 3DS # |     22.490 |     30.439 |    122.987 |  1.600.415 |  3.230.082 |  16.262.335 |
| PSV # |     14.432 |     16.716 |      3.538 |    929.199 |    713.636 |   3.284.556 |
|  WIU  |      7.805 |      9.950 |      4.001 |    422.612 |    461.349 |   1.948.042 |
|  PS4  |      7.350 |      8.033 |            |    733.429 |            |     733.429 |
|  PS3  |      5.365 |      6.026 |     10.232 |    384.303 |    650.373 |  10.093.977 |
|  XB1  |      1.062 |      1.113 |            |     32.178 |            |      32.178 |
| PSP # |         84 |        102 |      4.093 |     97.323 |    377.546 |  20.165.732 |
|  360  |         80 |        143 |        354 |      8.516 |     19.900 |   1.647.832 |
|  ALL  |     58.668 |     72.522 |    146.119 |  4.207.975 |  5.514.708 |  54.168.081 |
| PSVTV |        922 |        977 |            |     63.817 |            |     140.061 |
|  PSV  |     13.510 |     15.739 |      3.538 |    865.382 |    713.636 |   3.144.495 |
| 3DSLL |     16.130 |     22.988 |     85.885 |  1.210.417 |  2.197.464 |   6.636.303 |
|  3DS  |      6.360 |      7.451 |     37.102 |    389.998 |  1.032.618 |   9.626.032 |
|  PSP  |         84 |        102 |      4.093 |     97.323 |    377.546 |  19.989.745 |

Smash is still at the top. Forbidden Magna, the game developed by ex-Rune Factory developers, places 4th with Famitsu reporting a sell-through rate of 40-60%. Compile Heart's exclusive PlayStation 4 RPG, Omega Quintet, debuts in 8th with 9k sold.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9765 on: October 08, 2014, 06:12:03 PM »
6 digit sales for the third straight week. Over/under Nintendo doing that with the Wii U version that has help from the holiday push? I would still say under.

Also, Codemasters stealth-releases another F1 game which I'll probably buy...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9766 on: October 08, 2014, 06:18:03 PM »
6 digit sales for the third straight week. Over/under Nintendo doing that with the Wii U version that has help from the holiday push? I would still say under.

Under. WAY under. There's no way in hell Nintendo does 1.5 million sales for Smash Wii U in 3 weeks in a market that's dead to consoles. What I'll be interested to see is how the 3DS sales in NA affect the Wii U version's NA sales, considering we have the reverse problem over here.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9767 on: October 08, 2014, 07:47:47 PM »
RIP Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9768 on: October 08, 2014, 08:27:10 PM »

Under. WAY under. There's no way in hell Nintendo does 1.5 million sales for Smash Wii U in 3 weeks in a market that's dead to consoles. What I'll be interested to see is how the 3DS sales in NA affect the Wii U version's NA sales, considering we have the reverse problem over here.

I guess the more interesting wager would be to see if the Wii U version can do the same numbers in NA than the 3DS version did in Japan in 3 weeks, with the added benefit of the holiday season.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

« Reply #9769 on: October 08, 2014, 09:32:03 PM »
two things I noticed, first Hyryle Warriors is already off the list, Bayonetta looks next but Destiny is still hanging in there at least on PS3. Second is Mario Kart 8 seems to be slipping.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #9770 on: October 09, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
Remember how Nintendo made Twilight Princess for both the Wii and Gamecube and they staggered the releases by about a month so that Wii had a brief period of exclusivity?  Obviously they preferred that you would buy the game on the new system and that strategy worked really well.  With SSB they've gone with the opposite approach.  The Wii U is the system that needs the sales and yet they gave the 3DS the small window of exclusivity.

In Japan the 3DS version is the one people actually want.  With the Wii U Nintendo has put far too much emphasis on the Japanese market which no longer wants consoles.  Sony totally got that right.  Consoles are now a Western-only thing so the PS4 is very Western focused.  Having two versions of SSB is really just having a Japan-focused product and a West-focused product.

The problem is that they still went with the 3DS version going first in the West.  The goal should be to move Wii U's so it would benefit the most from having the first release.  Impatient SSB fans might splurge on the Wii U, even if they already have a 3DS, simply because they don't want to wait.  It helps that a console is probably the preferable way to play a game like this.  But now an impatient fan will almost certainly buy the 3DS game... and what if they're content with that?  If they already have an acceptable SSB experience on the 3DS how much incentive is there to buy a Wii U for what is effectively a game they already own?  I don't expect SSB Wii U to sell worth a damn in Japan but that was inevitable.  But I could see it underperforming in the US as well simply because Nintendo has conveniently removed any Wii U requirement to experience it.

Right now as a 3DS owner I feel like I honestly don't miss much in not owning a Wii U.  It seems like the 3DS is more Nintendo's focus and that for a lot of the big releases the Wii U gets just a fancier version of what the 3DS does.  I've got a Mario Kart, NSMB, 3D Mario and SSB.  I've got a Fire Emblem, Pokémon and new Zelda which the Wii U doesn't have.  Now SSB, the latest game given the "saviour" role for the Wii U and realistically the last possible chance for a savior the console has, is probably the least fancy upgrade from the 3DS experience.  It's effectively the same game with more polish while at least those other examples were different games with just similar gameplay.

"Well you didn't buy a Wii U for any of these other games but you'll certainly buy one for effectively a director's cut of the game you just bought a few months before."  Looking at it that way this is probably the least enticing "savior" that's been thrown at us.  It's the most redundant, useful only to the most hardcore SSB fan that wants the "better" version or Wii U owners that don't own a 3DS.  If they flipped the releases around and spaced them out more it would be like throwing a bone to 3DS owners that don't own Wii U.  Instead they're telling us that we don't have to own that crappy ol' Wii U.  We can stick to the "good" Nintendo system in the 3DS and get effectively the same thing.  While I'm certain Nintendo thinks this is going to be the game that finally gets the ball rolling on the Wii U, the release schedule comes across more like that of a company that's given up on a product.  Though almost certainly unintentional, the message is "you don't have to buy a Wii U to get the latest big Wii U release".

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9771 on: October 09, 2014, 03:45:34 PM »
The 3DS version came out first because it was done first and Nintendo's not in an economic position right now that would allow them to sit on a game that would sell millions of units for a possible future game.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9772 on: October 09, 2014, 04:40:07 PM »
The 3DS version of Smash was an unknown commodity, it could just have easily have tanked (luckily it is an excellent game package). So that's why they released it first. That, plus when the Wii U version hits, there will be less incentive to get the 3DS version because folks will be getting enough of their Smash "fix" on their console. I think to release 3DS Smash first was the strategic decision all along. Nintendo is fairly assured the Wii U Smash will sell well, at least the attachment rate will be good n' high with those that own a system already. Whether or not it moves more Wii Us off shelves is, I think, the unknown here.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #9773 on: October 09, 2014, 05:12:44 PM »
The 3DS version came out first because it was done first and Nintendo's not in an economic position right now that would allow them to sit on a game that would sell millions of units for a possible future game.

It probably is that simple of a decision on Nintendo's part but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wii U version's sales suffer as a result.  Is Nintendo in such a bind that the 3DS can't have a game get delayed for a bit?  It has the second highest lifetime sales in that sales list and is the highest selling system in Japan thus far this year.

« Reply #9774 on: October 09, 2014, 06:19:13 PM »
Timing cost them at least one sale, me buying a 3DS, but that is an entirely different issue. If I had gotten a 3DS as planned Smash is one of the first games I would have gotten, but since I am now holding out for either that NES themed XL or the NEW 3DS, no sale right now.

On the flip side I have not been as drawn to their handhelds as I would like to be, I know they get better support and often have the games I want but I hate playing on those tiny screens, my eyesight isn't that great to start off with that extra eyestrain is just not worth it to me.

I don't think the console version will suffer from there being a 3DS version as there are still lots of console gamers out there waiting for a good excuse to pick up a Wii U, and by now most people who want a 3DS have one there is still room to grow Wii U. Also like its been said they are desperate for sales right now they need a strong end of year performance in order to get investor confidence back up in order to launch new brands next year which they are planning to do.

I can't see how anyone would prefer portable gaming over console gaming, as a compliment to sure but not a substitute for.