Author Topic: Kickstarter WiiU game Thread. Yooka-Laylee. Reven. Hive Jump. Hex Heroes.  (Read 18679 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival

I already pledged. They almost reached almost all but their last stretch goal today. They just need a few more pledges to reach the end.

This game looks pretty good. I'm all for more games like Banjo Kazooie.

and its slated for Wii U.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:44:14 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter for Banjo Kazooie Spiritual Successor Yooka-Laylee.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 08:05:53 AM »
I don't know. There's a part of me that says this type of game does out for a reason, and that reason is mainly attributed to the people working on this title.

The character designs are pretty dull too.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 09:06:56 AM »
Two things.

- That initial goal seemed really low.
- I can't wait for all the extra stretch goals that will inevitably push the project back further.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 09:19:20 AM »
I don't know. There's a part of me that says this type of game does out for a reason, and that reason is mainly attributed to the people working on this title.

The character designs are pretty dull too.
Part of it is the people who make the game. The other part is because the genre hasn't been touched in forever.

The character designs aren't clicking with me either though. I think I enjoyed really cartoony games more on the N64 because the graphics were so terrible it worked out extremely well.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 11:44:12 AM »
I backed it, but I'll probably pull out when the rap video gets unlocked because f**k the DK Rap.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 12:39:20 PM »
I never liked the games this is based on in the first place, so I'm curious to see how this pans out but I certainly won't be backing it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 05:45:54 PM »
I'll check it out when it releases, but I never back kickstarters. Just a personal choice.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 07:53:55 AM »
I dont think the initial backing seemed low, it was more than Shadows of the Eternals, which didnt even make goal. I can see inexperienced groups not making goals, but veteran developers with newer easier engines, not as much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
i had actually meant to mak a thread for these games, which got funded. Check em out. You might want to download them when they are released.

Reven
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/variagames/reven/description

Hive Jump
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/graphitelab/hive-jump-0/description

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I suppose we should maybe consider making a Kickstarter thread? I know of a few projects I've backed that have been focused around Wii U and stuff.

Reven never really interested me, the art style is pretty uninspired and a little tacky, though I am very interested in Hive Jump because it looks awesome. Slain! is another game that has caught my eye as of late, there are some others, too.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Hive Jump is being made by developers right here in St. Louis. I was able to demo it once at a local event, and it was a blast!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I suppose we should maybe consider making a Kickstarter thread? I know of a few projects I've backed that have been focused around Wii U and stuff.

We actually had one at some point. I'm not sure what happened to it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Are you sure it wasn't the eShop thread? I seemed to swerve heavily into Kickstarter thread territory since indy Kickstarter games typically head to the eShop.

If not I say we make this the Kickstarter thread.
My Game Collection

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Desperate fanbase appeal aside, I pledged, and am extremely excited about a title called Hex Heroes, which looks to finally be an indie game that utilizes asymmetrical gameplay in a very novel manner.

Also, Dex is targeted for a summer release. Looks like a very awesome game.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prismaticgames/hex-heroes
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dreadlocks/dex-cyberpunk-2d-rpg
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:09:36 PM by Evan_B »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
That looks great. They had me at Warcraft 2.

Yeah, I would say this would be the kickstarter thread now. I had noticed there was a thread in talk back for Yooka Laylee, but I figured there might as well be a dedicated Kickstarter thread. So, Ill change the title periodically.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Dex caught my eye the other day when I was browsing Steam, looks interesting.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
I also wanted to mention Ghost Song. Its another Metroid Inspired game. No word if its coming to wii u though. The other stretch goals were met, but not the wii u one. Its like when they did the campaign it was holding the carrot over the horse.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192311215/ghost-song-a-journey-of-hope/description
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 03:04:52 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Yeah, it's aggravating to see the hoops lots of Kickstarter projects try to make people leap through to get their game on Wii U, but to be honest most of the money they would raise for that specific goal would probably be all the money they would make putting it on the system.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
it must not be that hard to get a game on wii u...Treefall Studios. keeps doing it.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
It's not about getting a game on the Wii U, it's about selling on the Wii U.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
At this point you put in a Wii U stretch goal for two reasons:

- You want a free Unity license.
- You're the nostalgic kind that wants a game on a Nintendo platform.

You put in just enough money to offset the losses of putting out a new game on a console with such a small user base and you make it work.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
A lot of indie games sell well on the Wii U though.  As we've shown a million times, despite the small hardware base, there's a good sized hardcore Nintendo fanbase that do buy these games, especially the good ones.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
The thing about Ghost Song was that it specifically appealed to Nintendo fans. So, that should have been in the middle of the stretch goals, not after Enhanced Pet System. Chances are non kickstarter folks would buy it too. Heck, I bought games I already own for the convenience of it being on the wii u menu.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
If that's the case, than the developer obviously had a very faint level of nostalgia for having his game on Wii U.

There's a couple of other games I've noted on Kickstarter I'll try to scrounge up for the sake of discussion.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I'm sure there's already been some talk about these two games, but I'm excited for both A.N.N.E. and C-Wars. I remember one of the first names I heard having a very successful Kickstarter, aside from the obvious titles like Hyper Light Drifter, was Cryamore. And although it has a great deal of fiction behind it, I'm tentatively interested in Anima: Gate of Memories.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1445624543/anne
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1054244612/c-wars-roguelike-pixel-art-pc-game
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robaato/cryamore-a-true-first-class-take-on-the-action-rpg
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1188790300/anima-gate-of-memories-0

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Yeah, I backed A.N.N.E., it looked pretty cool, but I haven't heard much about it lately. 

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
This one looks pretty hot, Little Devil Inside. Watch the video and be DELIGHTED. Wii U Stretch Goal, five days remain.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ldi/little-devil-inside/posts/1236245

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I see little to no depth in the game aside from different attack thoes, which would matter if you're a min-maxing kind of person, which also means the gameplay is accessible to many different types of players. However, none of it looks really engaging- even the art style feels a little phoned in. With the amount of money they're asking for in proportion to the amount of information and blatant publicity pandering they've done, I see their current funding status as an apt descriptor for how the game will ultimatlely play out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
Your Bigby avatar makes me feel like I'm at lecture.

I think the action looks fun and varied, and the characters charming.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
It looks like we may soon be able to add Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night to the list of Wii U Kickstarter games. It appears to be a stretch goal at $3,000,000.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I think the art style is angular, but unoriginal in terms of character design. I did like seeing gunplay and sword fighting but any sort of gunplay implies aiming which is a personal pet peeve if mine in RPG gameplay.

Anyway, I'd rather see a game made than nothing at all.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Starfighter Inc is being worked on by ex-LucasArts guys who made X-Wing and Tie Fighter. One of the guys is from Factor 5 as well so this could be the dream space flight sim we have been hoping for.

One of the first crowd funded games I might have to contribute to.
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
the ships look like ar-wings

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
It looks like we may soon be able to add Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night to the list of Wii U Kickstarter games. It appears to be a stretch goal at $3,000,000.

Given the evidence is some people thinking they're on CSI Cyber, I'll wait for the official word before it gets shouted from the heavens.

I mean, it'd be nice to have another option for playing the game portably as God and nature intended besides hooking up a Vita extender, and they have been teasing it, but I wanna see the receipts.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I highly doubt Bloodstained will make 3mil unless IGA goes nuts in the final week and drops some neat stuff. I haven't backed it yet because I'm highly skeptical of high profile games, especially after the mediocrity that has been Mighty Number 9.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
I highly doubt Bloodstained will make 3mil unless IGA goes nuts in the final week and drops some neat stuff. I haven't backed it yet because I'm highly skeptical of high profile games, especially after the mediocrity that has been Mighty Number 9.

You do realize the game is already close to 2.6 million with 20 days to go right?  It's tracking faster then Might Number 9 and that game managed close to 4 million when it was all said and done.  Not only is 3 million going to happen, but getting around 4 million could easily happen as well.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
There's only so many people who actually care about this genre enough, and I think it will reach its threshold. Tracking means nothing, it's just a possibility for what could happen if the game's support bubble stays strong.

That being said, I don't like playing games on PC and the Wii U port would probably be a shadow of what the xBox/PS4 version will be just because gimping ports is what the Wii U is the best at.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Hey, cool. Little Devil Inside hit its Wii U goal.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
Hey, cool. Little Devil Inside hit its Wii U goal.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Koji Igarashi's Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night officially has a Wii U port as a stretch goal (as was hinted by the "basement goals"). I'd like to know if the team offers a physical copy for the Wii U version because it's the only physical copy I would actually care about.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
They almost had me ready to back to try and force the issue until they announced the port would be done by the guys who did Batman Blackgate and a few bad FPSes on the Gamecube/Wii. No sale.
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I hope you're not implying Metroid Prime is a bad FPS.

It's a first-person ADVENTURE.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
Can't wait for them to cancel the Wii U port with lame excuses in three years! hashtag Project Cars hashtag Poor Planning

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I hope you're not implying Metroid Prime is a bad FPS.

It's a first-person ADVENTURE.

Shaymin is to Metroid Prime what I am to Super Mario World and Link to the Past.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Except I'm actually right, so nyah.
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Shaymin is to Metroid Prime what I am to Super Mario World and Link to the Past.
And I guess what I am to Galaxy and 3D Land.

But it's okay, we're all allowed to have terrible taste sometimes.

I will eat my hat in regards to the Wii U stretch goal, here's hoping some other Wii U owners waited it out, but it does seem a bit more possible. Also, with a budget this big and IGA backing the project, I think it is more likely they'll follow through with it. It might be a shoddy port because Armature and maybe even a crappy game altogether because of Inti Creates but hey, it's worth giving a shot if only for legacy alone.

I am disappointed in the lack of new ideas coming from Kickstarter. Yahtzee Crosshaw said it best when he discussed Broken Age and Shovel Knight- too many games just look like "that game you loved, by the people you loved". It's partially why I backed Hex Heroes, and why I feel crappy about backing Half-Genie Hero, because I'm feeding into that mentality. Also, everyone makes Metroidvanias.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
I don't think you have to worry about Armature's porting prowess. I give them a lot of crap because all their non-port work has been mediocre at best, but I don't have any issues with their post-original release work on the Borderlands Handsome Collection or any of their other ports. My issue in this case is that Iga would be farming out a separate version of the game to the Wii U rather than handle the port himself. It's likely to cause issues developing his own version alongside theirs.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
The nice thing about backing a game by creators of games you loved is that you have an idea of what to expect. It's the exact reason I backed Half-Genie Hero. I'm not normally one for taking chances. With Shante and Wayforward, I believe in the IP and I believe in the people making the game. It was an easy choice, especially for $15.

I'm on the fence regarding Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. I thoroughly enjoyed IGA's Castlevania games even if they often devolved into grinding to get rare items. I thought the series was in good hands before Lords of Shadow 2 screwed everything up. It's nice to get an unofficial Castlevania since it isn't like Konami is interested in making games anymore. Order of Ecclesia came out a long time ago so I'm eager for a new game. I expected to support this Kickstarter once a Wii U version became available, but realistically, this won't be released until 2017 when I will likely have moved on to NX. If I support this Kickstarter, I'm leaning on getting the PS4 version but not until the Wii U version is confirmed. Five of IGA's Castlevania titles were on Nintendo platforms. It didn't sit well with me that Nintendo was being left out.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Doesn't sit right with me, either. I'm surprised he's fishing for money in the pool where many players only know Castlevania from Lords of Shadow.

But in any case, I enjoy IGAvania and I still have trouble supporting this Kickstarter because of the absurd Wii U stretch goal.

I trust studios more than figureheads. That's why I backed Shantae and not Mighty Number 9.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Personally, I only back Kickstarters when they've demonstrated a clear plan and I have good reason to think they can actually deliver on what they promise. As a result, I back very few Kickstarters (mainly Pinball Arcade's, Book of Unwritten Tales 2, Cosmic Star Heroine, and the risky Soul Saga) and I'm not sure either Yooka-Laylee or Bloodstained will join them. Iga doesn't demonstrate jack **** in his Kickstarter pitch. His entire pitch is "I made Castlevania, motherfuckers (with recycled assets from Rondo of Blood for more than a decade, which nearly killed the franchise until Lords of Shadow revived it)! So give me money!" There was no proof of concept, and very little information on the game in general. Also, Inticreates can't even create a Mega Man knock-off right now on-time and under-budget, so I have very little faith in them.

By contrast, Yooka-Laylee has proof of concept footage, and the people making it have excellent pedigree. My issue with them is the ridiculous level of scope creep they've allowed with their stretch goals, and I don't believe for a moment that they can create the kind of game they want in the time they've promised with the money they even have now.

Also, if you believe their Kickstarter monetary goals (I don't), neither Kickstarter needs my money and, in fact, it will actually be cheaper for me to purchase both of these games at launch w/ whatever PS+ discounts they'll inevitably have.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I missed a few of those, but I really appreciate the hard work of the Soul Saga dev even if he's taking forever with development.

As for Cosmic Star Heroine, that is again from a dev I trust and enjoy. There are tons of novel ideas put out on Kickstarter but unless there is substance in what they're showing or they're a name I trust I would rather wait for the game to show up finished and pay then.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
I feel much the same way. I've supported a few Kickstarter projects, but only one game: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero. I probably could have waited to buy it upon release, but having followed the character and the company for so long, I appreciate how long Wayforward has been trying to support Shantae and I wanted to help the team. Having played a Shantae game in the past, I considered that a proof of concept. I know it isn't the same thing. I just have very little doubt the game won't be familiar. And that's all I want from the project. I want a new Shantae game with HD sprites.

I have similar feelings toward Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night though I haven't committed to backing the project. Proof of concept? There are six of them. This game is Castlevania in all but name only. Odd as it sounds, I'd be more skeptical if IGA was pitching a non-Metroidvania game. He has made a career of making the same kind of game. As far as Castlevania is concerned, he's only struggled when stepping away from the formula (e.g. Lament of Innocence, The Dracula X Chronicles). I'm interested because he's pitching the only type of game he's excelled at making. Still, the Kickstarter is meant to show interest in the project as IGA has a very vague "backing investment." Additionally, the project has crushed its initial goal. The team doesn't need my money, but I don't think that's the right attitude to have.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
On the one had I'm interested in backing the game but I kind of worry about the quality of this one since IGA hasn't made a Castlevania like this in over 7 years.  Not only that but it's not like the quality of his previous games all remained at a consistent level.  Since IGA might be kind of rusty, Bloodstained could end up being on the lower end of this Castlevania developed games.  I mean, if the game is Harmony of Dissonance or Portrait of Ruin level quality, I'll still find enjoyment in it but it's not something I feel like spending money to fund.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
I have similar feelings toward Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night though I haven't committed to backing the project. Proof of concept? There are six of them. This game is Castlevania in all but name only.

No, I'm not giving him that. He hasn't made a game in ages, when he did make those games it was largely with recycled assets as old as Rondo of Blood, and it was with an entirely different development team. Plus, the gaming landscape since his last copy & pasted Castlevania game has greatly changed: games of this style are now incredibly common in the Indie scene, so what's Bloodstained going to do that I can't get from games already on the market? How is it going to stand out, aside from having the name of a developer associated with regurgitated sequels? Hence why I want to see proof of concept footage of the actual game he wants to make. Instead, his entire Kickstarter pitch is focused on his legacy, not what he's going to be doing for us lately. It's smoke & mirrors of the highest caliber.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:49:58 PM by broodwars »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
I have similar feelings toward Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night though I haven't committed to backing the project. Proof of concept? There are six of them. This game is Castlevania in all but name only.

No, I'm not giving him that. He hasn't made a game in ages, when he did make those games it was largely with recycled assets as old as Rondo of Blood, and it was with an entirely different development team. Plus, the gaming landscape since his last copy & pasted Castlevania game has greatly changed: games of this style are now incredibly common in the Indie scene, so what's Bloodstained going to do that I can't get from games already on the market? How is it going to stand out, aside from having the name of a developer associated with regurgitated sequels? Hence why I want to see proof of concept footage of the actual game he wants to make. Instead, his entire Kickstarter pitch is focused on his legacy, not what he's going to be doing for us lately. It's smoke & mirrors of the highest caliber.

I agree with this.  If you are going to come to fans and ask for money, you should have at least a demo or mock up video showing proof of concept of the game you are asking to make.  You need to have put enough effort and sweat (and money) into the project to show here is some prototype animation, and concept art, and level design.  Here is the new hook or gimmick that makes MY game different.  If you don't do at least that, then you can't be trusted.  And even if you do that (bare minimum) in my book...then you don't get money. 

The last two kickstarters I supported were for Pinball Arcade to get a cool board.  There kickstarter explained why they needed the money and oh their game was already released as a proof of concept.  And Shovel Knight, which had a video that showed assets and how the game should/could play. 

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Bloodstained aside, I'll admit it has been pretty cool to see Kickstarted games pop up on the eShop and elsewhere. The only problem is, I've never really felt satisfied by one of them.

I've played The Fall and Shovel Knight, and while Shovel Knight is at least a well-presented game with minor flaws, The Fall was so painfully mediocre that I felt pretty annoyed by the time I finished it and the developers urged me to look forward to the next part of the trilogy. There's a few other instances I could note, but I guess I wanted to say that even the best of the Kickstarted games I've played (Shovel Knight) still felt dissatisfying to me in a lot of ways.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
It sounds like your issue is that you didn't like IGA's Castlevania games to begin with (or at least the later ones) which is your right. I'm not arguing that. However, it doesn't seem like a proof of concept would have changed your mind anyway. This project is, for all intents and purposes, the Castlevania game Konami refuses to make because "mobile is the future" or some other such nonsense. It isn't even continuing the Lords of Shadow reboot (though I'm glad since the last installment was subpar). As previously stated, I haven't backed the project yet. If I decide to, I, personally, don't need a proof of concept. I'm not an IGA super-fan, but I've played his games. I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. It kind of seems like you do too which is what makes this unappealing. What makes this stand out? Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but what I really want is Castlevania. I can't get that anymore so this is probably as close as I'm going to get.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
It sounds like your issue is that you didn't like IGA's Castlevania games to begin with (or at least the later ones) which is your right. I'm not arguing that.

I liked IGA's Castlevania games just fine at first...until it became very clear that they were all the same game (namely Symphony of the Night, a game I find rather overrated anyway) with minor differences. But Aria of Sorrow & Dawn of Sorrow are classics. Hell, I even liked Portrait of Ruin for the way it tried to break out of the mold & try something new. Order of Ecclesia was offensive, though, for what it did to what was allegedly a "strong female character".

I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. It kind of seems like you do too which is what makes this unappealing. What makes this stand out? Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but what I really want is Castlevania. I can't get that anymore so this is probably as close as I'm going to get.

My issue with Igarashi is that he's always struck me as an incredibly lazy developer. All his Castlevania games are permutations on the same damn formula, and most of those use stock sprites from far older Castlevania games.  So yeah, when it comes time to go to the internet and beg people for money because no one wants to give you a job (because no one thinks you're reliable or noteworthy), I expect to see some goddamn effort. Instead, all his Kickstarter is is "hey, look at me! I was relevant once! Give me money because of that, and because **** KONAMI!!" He even has the sheer ego to call the game an "Igavania", as if he and he alone were creative enough to add RPG elements to the Metroid formula.

So yeah, I don't like the guy, I don't think he belongs on Kickstarter, and I don't think he's justified his project's existence. I'm inclined to be sympathetic towards his project because I'm also of a "**** KONAMI" mindset due to how they gutted Silent Hills, but he has to earn that money and so far he's skated along by doing very little. It's a small amount of flash and name recognition trying to divert from the fact that there is no substance. He has nothing to show after all these years of working on nothing since leaving Konami. If you ran a video game publisher, and he walked into your conference room with that as his pitch presentation, would YOU give him money? I sure wouldn't. Yooka-Laylee's? I'd consider it.

And, incidentally, Bloodborne is a far better Castlevania game than most of Igarashi's games. There, I said it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:39:10 AM by broodwars »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Oh, I think he definitely deserves to be on Kickstarter. The majority of projects there are filled with empty promises and claims.

What disappoints me about this and Mighty Number 9 is that there's no promise of hope of future. IGA doesn't want to assemble a studio, he wants to work with Inti Creates. At least with Shovel Knight and Half-Genie Hero there is pedigree and will be an example of the studio's efforts in the future. One I the reasons I was skeptical of that project featuring the FFTactics director was because the rest of the team was a group of mobile Devs with no experience making a title in that vein. Hey, it still got funded, so we'll have to wait and see, right? Another project was the slightly embarrassing Cult County fiasco- Renegade Kid isn't a prolific or beloved enough dev to have asked for the amount of money they did, which was, in Watsham's opinion, a realistic amount for the game they hoped to make. It even had a proof of concept. Just shows what realism actually gets you on Kickstarter.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Ah, see, you've lost me on the Bloodborne thing.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Ah, see, you've lost me on the Bloodborne thing.

It's a gothic-style character action game where you can run around with a chain whip killing ghouls and vampires with a focus on deliberate action, and the developers show no mercy on difficulty. You have the ability to level-up your stats & acquire bigger & better gear. It's pretty much a 3D IGA-style Castlevania game...only he never figured out how to make that work in 3D.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I know what Bloodborne is, I just think that's not really applicable. IGA probably didn't want to make a 3D Metroidvania. Then he'd have to worry about making new art assets.

That's a major deal with this game, too. But they'll only be seen from one angle.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
I know what Bloodborne is, I just think that's not really applicable. IGA probably didn't want to make a 3D Metroidvania. Then he'd have to worry about making new art assets.

You'd think so, but he tried. Twice.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Huh. My apologies.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Jebus, broodwars, put down the hatchet. You're so anti-IGA that you're altering the narrative just to hate on the guy.
My issue with Igarashi is that he's always struck me as an incredibly lazy developer. All his Castlevania games are permutations on the same damn formula, and most of those use stock sprites from far older Castlevania games.
Not sure it's fair to place the blame entirely on IGA. Konami set the budget. Hindsight is 20/20. Look at what Konami is doing today.
So yeah, when it comes time to go to the internet and beg people for money because no one wants to give you a job (because no one thinks you're reliable or noteworthy), I expect to see some goddamn effort. Instead, all his Kickstarter is is "hey, look at me! I was relevant once! Give me money because of that, and because **** KONAMI!!" He even has the sheer ego to call the game an "Igavania", as if he and he alone were creative enough to add RPG elements to the Metroid formula.
He's admitted to having trouble finding a publisher though this seems to be due to lack of interest in the project rather than unreliability. He made moderate hits for Konami on a limited budget and short deadlines. And I wouldn't say he's necessarily begging for money on the Internet as that sounds worse than it actually is. From a Gamasutra interview:
"All I can say right now is that after over a year of talking with just about every publisher out there, I was able to secure funding for about 90 percent of the game with the condition that I prove the market still wants an Igavania game."
Kickstarter is a really good asset for what he needed to do. The reception has been astounding. People want this game.

And from the same interview regarding "Igavania"
"If we felt it would have been okay with Nintendo to use a name like "Metroidvania" in an official capacity like this, we probably would have. But we wanted to be sure to respect them. When building out the campaign, we needed a new genre name that would help describe this specific type of game, and one of the team members suggested "Igavania." I worried it sounded vain, but assumed it was a temporary placeholder and didn't pay much mind. So yes, now I feel quite a bit of pressure"
My guess is that he didn't want to ruffle any feathers at Nintendo (who may even have turned down the project when IGA was searching for a publisher) since the game, rightfully from a business perspective, was initially skipping Wii U.
He has nothing to show after all these years of working on nothing since leaving Konami.
Years? He left Konami last year. His last game was released in 2011 (which I don't really think is that long ago). Eventually, Konami began shifting toward mobile games. He joined a mobile team and it didn't work out. From a Wired interview:
“Two, maybe three years ago, Konami had slowly shifted its culture, as well as its business model. They started to have major success in the mobile space, and that was starting to be seen by the company as the future.â€

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Adrock- cutting through the gossip with clear cut FACTS.

I guess.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
Instead, all his Kickstarter is is "hey, look at me! I was relevant once! Give me money because of that, and because **** KONAMI!!"
It worked for Keiji Infanue with Capcom

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Instead, all his Kickstarter is is "hey, look at me! I was relevant once! Give me money because of that, and because **** KONAMI!!"
It worked for Keiji Infanue with Capcom

And the Yooka Laylee guys, and the guy doing Star Citizen, and a ton of others.

"Hey, remember that old thing I/we did? Give me/us some money so we can make a new one of those" describes like half the games on Kickstarter.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
I was referring more to "Y'know how [insert company here] isn't making [insert game franchise here] anymore and how I was so good at making it? Well throw money at me and I'll make a new game as a big middle finger to [insert company here]." Which is basically how I saw Mighty Number 9. And that seems to be what Igarashi is doing.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Yes, and Mighty Number 9 looks terrible.  It looks like it is progressing in all the wrong ways.  Art Direction, play mechanics, animation and movement...everything looks off.

I hope the game turns around though...I just don't think it will.  These crowd source games are never getting enough money and time to make a great game with the polish a publisher would expect from their games. 

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Mighty Number 9 does look quite lackluster. That entire scheme jumped the shark the minute Inafune went back to Kickstarter for DLC money.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
That castlevania nostalgia pandering game seems like it was picked up by a big publisher.

Each time i see a kickstarter game taken by publisher i shake my head. Kickstarter was supposed to be how you eschew publishers, not attract them by securing all the funding, so that they can get a game by spending literally nothing on it.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I think it's important to remember this game would be 90% funded if IGA even proved there was interest in the genre. So probably a ridiculous amount of the Kickstarter is going to go towards polishing the project and hopefully reaching the stretch goals.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
To be fair, Deep Silver isn't what I'd call a "big publisher".
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Wii U stretch goal reached. Physical discs, too.

Whoo.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
There's quite a few Castlevania games for gba on the wii u store, iv been enjoying Metroid Fusion the last couple days. I'm all for any number of metroidvania platformers. Although I like the metroid part of that equation more. Castlevania hasn't really appealed to me since Castlevania 3. I'm more up for Actraiser
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:00:31 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night's Kickstarter ended last night. I pledged $60 for the physical copy. All of the stretch goals were funded. IGA's team even created an extra one for the home stretch because the final goal was so close to being met. I only really cared about getting that third playable character, but I'll certainly take the Roguelike Dungeon which is in addition to Igarashi's largest castle. The extra stretch goal is a Boss Revenge Mode which sounds like you play as the bosses against Miriam. Might be fun for shits and giggles, but I'm not going to complain about bonus content.

I haven't watched all of the developer videos, but one showed off-screen footage of the game in action. IGA and co used to pump Castlevania games out within a year so I'm glad we won't see this game released for nearly two years. Building all of those HD assets from scratch is going to take time and I'm glad they're taking their time.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
got this in my yooka-laylee newsletter

"Throughout their adventure Yooka and Laylee will meet (or beat) a huge cast of memorable characters brought to life by the art and audio teams behind legendary platform games. This month we’ll be discussing a pair of new supporting characters destined to join the Playtonic Universe; the hapless, multi-limbed scientist Dr. Puzz and her traitorous former colleague Dr. Quack. The latter is a ruthless, exosuit-wearing fowl, who’s making the best of a bad situation under the corporate rule of Capital B.

The good doctor wasn’t always this unpleasant, but the ruthless takeover of his Quack Corp organisation has persuaded Quack to concoct all manner of crude inventions to satisfy the demands of his new boss - and the shareholders, of course.

Quack’s sweet, naeve prodigy, Dr. Puzz proved far more morally rigid than her former colleague, breaking ties with Quack Corp as soon as the exosuits started stirring - and taking her own inventions with her. The tentacled technician - designed by Ed ‘Mumbo Jumbo’ Bryan - is the gateway to all of Yooka-Laylee’s wild and wonderful transformations, which we’ll be revealing in the near future. "

Oh wow, so that's what happened with Rareware.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Since when did Hyper Light Drifter get cancelled for Wii U? A certain other site posted an article claiming as much.

It's not a huge surprise given the status of the console and the fact that the game apparently isn't ready.  But it's disappointing - that looked like an interesting indie game and would've been nice on Wii U. 

Maybe this is just a bad rumor swirling around?  Regardless, it showcases why I'm nervous about backing KickStarter video games for any dedicated gaming platform - best intentions just don't always work out, and the time required for development can be really long. Any good game that actually gets released should be available after the fact anyway.

I've still got my fingers crossed for Bloodstained and Shantae coming to Wii U. Shantae seems like a sure thing, but I'm nervous about Bloodstained because it still seems pretty far out.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Soren

• View Profile
https://www.destructoid.com/hyper-light-drifter-might-not-make-it-to-wii-u-342219.phtml

"We had information about our engine [GameMaker: Studio], two years back, when we announced support for the platform. This had assured us we could port to the Wii U with relatively little hassle by now. However, due to ongoing internal contractual issues beyond our control between the platform holder and engine developer, we just don't know when or if this situation will have a good resolution. We are looking into the options available and doing what we can to help push the issue, including posting about it here."

The news of the limited edition only announcing codes for PS4/XB1 versions pretty much puts the kibosh on the Wii U version.

I'm nervous about my backing of Hollow Knight. I backed it specifically for the Wii U version. Unless the game gets a release date this year I have serious doubts about getting that Wii U version.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:11:53 PM by Soren »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Shantae is definitely coming to Wii U.

Disappointed by the Hyper Light Drifter news, but honestly, the devs should have anticipated it from the start and not made lazy promises. That is one of my LARGEST pet peeves about Kickstarters and it really makes me lose a lot of respect for the team.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
I'm nervous for the wii u version of yooka laylee as well. I just want to make sure I get the game. I may have  slected pc and wii u option. I don't remember. Hopefully it can be out by christmas-time

Offline Soren

• View Profile
Re: Kickstarter WiiU game Thread. Yooka-Laylee. Reven. Hive Jump. Hex Heroes.
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2016, 08:58:54 AM »
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/10/0...elayed-to-2018

Bloodstained on Wii U may not happen. May just move on to NX. This should not be surprising.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2016, 09:32:38 AM »
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/10/0...elayed-to-2018

Bloodstained on Wii U may not happen. May just move on to NX. This should not be surprising.

Not a surprise, and (still) doesn't dampen my interest in Bloodstained... but another reason in a growing list to approach KickStarter video game development with caution.  Games often take more time to create than you'd expect.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2016, 04:42:31 PM »
Good. I was hoping this would happen.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2016, 09:07:31 PM »
Yeah if it's not coming out until 2018 then the NX would be a better bet.  It was the hardcore Nintendo fans who funded the Wii U version and I can't imagine too many of them being upset if the game is moved to the NX since most of them will probably have an NX by then as well.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2016, 09:45:14 PM »
I am hoping that any promised game for the Wii U will transition to the Nintendo NX...I think that is fair.  You can assume that Nintendo fans backing for Wii U support would welcome the NX support.  However, if they are upset they can still get it for other systems.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2016, 11:20:43 PM »
Got to see Hive Jump at a local game convention. The Graphite Labs team is here in St. Louis, and I'm good friends with one of the people helping with the Wii U port. He's actually my professor for my game design II class and my mentor on my senior overview! How weird!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)