Author Topic: Mario Galaxy  (Read 240347 times)

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #600 on: November 06, 2007, 12:29:07 PM »

...the belly slide is MISSING!

WHAT.  SERIOUSLY.  I am honestly bummed out; the belly slide was my favorite part of Sunshine (and I loved Sunshine).
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #601 on: November 06, 2007, 12:46:23 PM »
Here we go again folks, Game Informer gives Mario Galaxy a 9.75

But I think you’ll agree, once that nostalgic music rings out and Mario leaps into the air, all your complaints instantly vanish. This is, in my opinion, the best Mario game since the NES classic, Super Mario Bros. It innovates in a genre that we had thought we had seen everything from, and in doing so delivers some of the most entertaining gameplay to date.

And yet, he couldn't give the game a 10 even though he just said it's the best Mario since the original and once you play any complaints will vanish.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 06, 2007, 12:55:10 PM »

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
Here we go again folks, Game Informer gives Mario Galaxy a 9.75

But I think you’ll agree, once that nostalgic music rings out and Mario leaps into the air, all your complaints instantly vanish. This is, in my opinion, the best Mario game since the NES classic, Super Mario Bros. It innovates in a genre that we had thought we had seen everything from, and in doing so delivers some of the most entertaining gameplay to date.

And yet, he couldn't give the game a 10 even though he just said it's the best Mario since the original and once you play any complaints will vanish.

Well to be fair they did say

While some perennial flaws (spotty camera, a complete disinterest in telling a compelling story) remain, for the most part this is a Mario game to stand beside the best of the series – and that’s saying something. Remain patient through the slow and sometimes tedious beginning hours and you’ll be rewarded with some of the most ingenious and refined gameplay you’ve ever experienced.

At least this was in the 2nd opinion. Though I think mentioning story is perhaps the stupidest thing a reviewer could say about a Mario game. The rest appear to be legit, spotty camera and tedious beginning hours (then again maybe they aren't).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 06, 2007, 01:00:17 PM »
Game Informer does, however, have some quality cheats for the game. Written in 2003, no less.

8/13/2003

Enter all of these codes during gameplay.

Max Health - Down, Down, A, X, B, X
Invincibility - Y, Right, B, Left, X, Ddown
All Weapons - A, A, Right, Y, A, Right
Level Skip - Up, Right, B, Y, Down, Left
Friendly AI Units - B, Down, A, Down, X, Y
Boost - Up, X, Down, B, A, Y
All Token Locations - Y, B, A, Left, Down, Down
Thanks for listening.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 06, 2007, 01:22:16 PM »
Lol reviews are so ass backwards.

"Best Mario game ever! Most enjoyable experience of all time!. . . .9.5 sorry not perfect LOLLOLOLO!!!1111!!one!!!1"

I guess all games can't be as perfect as Halo 3 ::barfs::

Oh well, 9.5s and up across the board isn't bad either.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 06, 2007, 01:26:05 PM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro
Lol reviews are so ass backwards.

"Best Mario game ever! Most enjoyable experience of all time!. . . .9.5 sorry not perfect LOLLOLOLO!!!1111!!one!!!1"

I guess all games can't be as perfect as Halo 3 ::barfs::

Oh well, 9.5s and up across the board isn't bad either.

Halo 3 has NO FLAWS, that is why it gets 10s. Geesh, you should know that.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 06, 2007, 01:29:09 PM »
lol of course! it's the most perfect of perfect games! ::kneels before halo 3::

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 06, 2007, 01:41:04 PM »
Even the AI in Halo 3 is perfect, it is actually a representation of the trauma the soldiers are going through. This trauma cripples them from driving completely up hills, and walking in front of you in fear, which causes them to get run over. This is all symbolic of the hells of war with aliens, which make people do INSANE things. The repetitive level and enemy design is actually perfection as well because it symbolizes the tension  between war and a normal life which can be repetition for many. This brilliant design aspect of the game provides the player with a more realistic experience, because they will say to themselves:

"Wow that hundredth enemy clone that I've killed in the last 5 minutes reminds me of the same steps I have taken to get to work and back home again. I can truly relate to this game, it is game of the year material!"  

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 06, 2007, 01:48:33 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Even the AI in Halo 3 is perfect, it is actually a representation of the trauma the soldiers are going through. This trauma cripples them from driving completely up hills, and walking in front of you in fear, which causes them to get run over. This is all symbolic of the hells of war with aliens, which make people do INSANE things. The repetitive level and enemy design is actually perfection as well because it symbolizes the tension  between war and a normal life which can be repetition for many. This brilliant design aspect of the game provides the player with a more realistic experience, because they will say to themselves:

"Wow that hundredth enemy clone that I've killed in the last 5 minutes reminds me of the same steps I have taken to get to work and back home again. I can truly relate to this game, it is game of the year material!"

Agreed.

/signed

Thread win =D

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 06, 2007, 02:01:16 PM »

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 06, 2007, 02:06:51 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
IGN gives Mario a 7.9/10!!!!

Link fixed.

Sure makes 9.5 look pretty darn good...  
Thanks for listening.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #611 on: November 06, 2007, 02:33:29 PM »
For a Sega game its doing really good .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 06, 2007, 02:36:42 PM »
You know, all these 9.5s and 9.0s wouldn't bother me if Halo 3 didn't get straight 10s.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 06, 2007, 04:15:32 PM »
My cousin wants to sell his Wii to get a 360 for Halo.  Let's not get started on my disappointment.  Reviews don't matter to me but this just gives people that love Halo that Master Chief > Mario.    
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 06, 2007, 04:19:40 PM »
Some poor chap from neoGAF did a "study" about whether 1up and GameSpot are biased against games on Nintendo consoles - the results are interesting, though. He looked at the top 25 games on each console, and their average scores on each of the major sites.

And then, the statistical deviation..

"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: November 06, 2007, 04:42:52 PM »
Since Bill thinks I should post this here I will. I've noticed that ever other Mario game revolutionizes or impacts the industry in a big way. First we had SMB which started platforming, then we had SMB2 which was basically a modified SMB1, then we had Mario Bros 3 that changed how we perceive platforming with a vast array of bosses, power ups, exploration and more. Next we had SMW which while a great game didn't really do that much new, it was more like a grander SMB3, not to mention its impact wasn't that great on gaming overall, then we have YI which I don't really consider a Mario game so I'll axe that. Next up we have Mario 64 which revolutionized 3D platformers, next was Sunshine which was similar to Mario 64 in gameplay, not changing a whole lot (not to mention its impact was subtle), now we have Galaxy which is looks to be changing how we look at platformers!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 06, 2007, 05:59:48 PM »
Kinda like the odd numbered Star Trek movies do well at the box office and the even numbered ones tank? (Or was it the other way around?)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #617 on: November 07, 2007, 01:45:28 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Some poor chap from neoGAF did a "study" about whether 1up and GameSpot are biased against games on Nintendo consoles - the results are interesting, though. He looked at the top 25 games on each console, and their average scores on each of the major sites.

To augment that argument I would like to throw Kotaku into the mix. They don't have any quantitative data to look at, but from reading daily, they are the first to throw Nintendo under the bus. Every time a Wii article comes up they never fail to mention how "dusty" their Wii is and how there is an utter lack of games for the system. These comments never seem to come up with either the PS3 or the 360, who in my opinion have even less great titles and an even slower distribution of them. Another great example, when the stage building was announced for Brawl it garnered a big yawn, but for Halo 3 it was revolutionary and flat out amazing. There are countless other examples, I just ignore it and read the headlines now because it just pisses me off to read their stupid ass comments.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 07, 2007, 02:36:06 AM »
The world is bias. Get over it.

A lot of people seem to "hate" Nintendo, but the fact of the matter is they're just envious. Nintendo is the underdog that overcame and people are pissed about that. Especially when all the time they invested talking up the 360 and PS3 pre-launch came back to bite them in the ass.

It's the DS all over again.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 07, 2007, 02:58:20 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Kinda like the odd numbered Star Trek movies do well at the box office and the even numbered ones tank? (Or was it the other way around?)

I'm not sure about sales...but the even numbered Star Treks were the best...the odd ones kinda sucked...
2-Wrath of Khan  
4-Voyage Home
6-Undiscovered Country
Unofficial 8 - First Contact
Unofficial 9 - Nemesis

Back to Topic:  All these reviews are freakin' hillarious.  SMG is the best...can't find anything bad to say about it...but let's dock some points just for the hell of it.  God forbid that SMG scores higher than Mass Effect or Bioshock for GOTY.
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline roger6106

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 07, 2007, 03:20:21 AM »
People on GameFAQs are reporting that some Best Buys are already selling Mario Galaxy.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 07, 2007, 03:20:50 AM »

Originally posted by: cubist

I'm not sure about sales...but the even numbered Star Treks were the best...the odd ones kinda sucked...
2-Wrath of Khan  
4-Voyage Home
6-Undiscovered Country
Unofficial 9 - Nemesis

So Insurrection was so bad it doesn't even exist, allowing us to consider Nemesis an odd numbered one and hope for a better movie next time.  Awesome.

Kind of like how the other Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario World: Yoshi's Island throw off the "every other Mario is revolutionary" theory, so they don't count.  Sample bias FTW.  

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 07, 2007, 05:55:19 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear

Originally posted by: cubist

2-Wrath of Khan  
4-Voyage Home
6-Undiscovered Country
Unofficial 9 - Nemesis

So Insurrection was so bad it doesn't even exist, allowing us to consider Nemesis an odd numbered one and hope for a better movie next time.  Awesome.

Kind of like how the other Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario World: Yoshi's Island throw off the "every other Mario is revolutionary" theory, so they don't count.  Sample bias FTW.

Oops...meant to put it at 10...thus making it an even numbered one...LOL at the sarcasm.
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: November 07, 2007, 05:57:27 AM »
The other Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't a Mario game, it was Doki Doki Panic dressed up like a Mario game, and Yoshi's Island is a Yoshi game, not a Mario game.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: November 07, 2007, 06:43:18 AM »

Originally posted by: insanolord
The other Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't a Mario game, it was Doki Doki Panic dressed up like a Mario game, and Yoshi's Island is a Yoshi game, not a Mario game.

Exactly Yoshi's Island didn't star Mario, Mario was secondary to Yoshi, and SMB2 USA wasn't even really a Mario game but a palette swap to make it a Mario game.