Author Topic: I just got a snes again!!!  (Read 3980 times)

Offline soracloudtidus

• snes owns and all of you know it
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I just got a snes again!!!
« on: June 01, 2004, 08:25:36 AM »
I thought of doing this threat since i havent seen this anywhere in this forum. Last Saturday
my dad got me an old snes and it works, it came ou with Secret of Mana. I have never played Secret of Mana ( I always thought rpgs where boring when I was a kid, dont ask me why but I have always been a zelda fan, ironic isn't it?),this game is good. Well now im looking for good games  like FF3, zelda 3, and others. I did an ebay search and this games are selling for premium bucks! Do u guys think this will happend to gc games? Yes I know u can find many roms out there of snes games, but I still think its not the same when u have the snes controller. So now im going retro, looking for old school games, has anyone gone retro and what thoughts u could give me on this.
Currently Playing: WoW, New Super Mario Bros,Legend of Zelda: Phanton Hourglass

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:I just got a snes again!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 08:28:12 AM »
Really though, it's only a small handful of games that still go for big bucks.
Here's a protip: take a day and just hop around every pawn shop in town, you may find some wonderful treasures.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 01:20:56 PM »
I can help out, i bought a snes right after the cube came out, and have been getting titles for it ever since.  I'm finally getting on the complete end, just some rare titles and some "why not" to grab.

I'll start this by posting a quote from another forum I go to about game prices, then i'll talk a bit about how i've gotten most of the games i have.

That reminds me. I saw Metroid II at Gamestop yesterday. $20. I had a $50 bill but that is supposed to be college money.  :?

$20 for a game that old? that's just weird, it should be $5.

It was down to 5-10$, when i bought mine, but because of prime and whatnot, it became a far more wanted object.
the Used game market doesn't follow the same rules as the real market, Supply and Demand DO adjust the price on it.   For instance, when i got my chrono trigger (for free!) it was still worth around 80$ or so.  That was a used, opened copy.  
However, when the FF chronicles came out, it dropped down to 30$ for a bit... but, now its going back up to around 50$ at certain places.  

Likewise, its quite difficult to find a good game for only 5$, with the exception of things like F-Zero and Super Mario World, everything is generally quite a bit more.... Even the donkey kong countries are around 15-20$ each, the last one being even more than that.

I know this because I collect SNES games, i've even gone as far as to pay 40$ for one, and there are quite a few that reach around 100$, or higher.

super metroid itself is usually one of the 30$ games, as are most of the SNES RPG's (Mario RPG, FF2, FF3, CT, SoM, Lufia, Earthbound (if your lucky) ) etc.

A few rare-ish games that are quite good are easy to find in less than 10$, mainly the things that not many people are interested in... Gradius III and Uniracers come to mind for me.  

I actually recently paid 20$ for Tetris Attack, of course, if you've ever played tetris attack, you'd understand how its far worth that price, and then I had some of the bset multiplayer gaming i've had since FFCC.  But... I seem to be rambling now.
I
love having the actual cartridge and playing it on my actual system.  Hell, my SNES is even hooked up through S-Video.

Here is a list of snes titles i've gotten, note that all of these (with very few exceptions) have been found since after the gamecube came out.  (I keep this list in a .txt file, i also keep them in alphabetical order)

Chrono Trigger - Got it for free, Friend of mine.
Donkey Kong Country    
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3     - All 3 donkey kong countries for $20, nother friend.
Darius Twin -  Payed $2 for it, its a shmup, thought it might be good..... its not, stay far away.
Earthbound - Found it at an Gamestop(Local) $30, and i had the guy behind the counter applaud my taste.
Final Fantasy 3 - Found it at an Gamestop(Texas), $30
F-Zero - Payed $5 for it somewhere, easy to find.
Gradius III - Nother shmup of mine, I payed $5 for it, awesome game.  Games4Games(locally owned store)
Illusion of Gaia - Bought this last weekend, in a huge pile at EBgames(Local) $10
Killer Instict - Came with my system
Kirby's Dream Land 3 - Not quite sure where i picked this one up, I believe it was around $20
Kirby's Super Star - Came with my system ^_^ (Usually around $30)
Legend Of Zelda - Link to the Past - Came with system
Lufia : Fortress of Doom - Found it at an EBgames, hiding.  I asked if he had "any rare snes games hiding back there" and he mentioned this and Kirby Super Star.  $20
Mega Man X - Came with System
Metal Warriors - Ebay, I was lucky and only payed $20, it seems to be going down in price, seen it as high as $50  Awesome game.
Pilot Wings - Bought it at some random store, $3
Primal Rage - Came with system (ew)
Raiden Trad - Raiden is an awesome shmup series, this game however, completely sucks beyond sucking.  $3
Secret of Evermore - Bought it along with earthbound at the same Gamestop(local), $10 (Same engine as secret of mana, if you enjoyed that you will most likely enjoy Secret of Evermore)
Secret of Mana - One of the few games i bought at the flea market.  $35
StarFox - Came with System
Super Gameboy - Bought as part of the deal with super metroid
Super Ghouls'n'Gbosts - Bought as part of the deal with super metroid.
Super Mario RPG - one of the few games that i had left from my original SNES
Super Metroid - Bought from a friend along with the 2 before-mentioned games for $20... typically goes for $30 alone.. Games4games has a copy for $25 thats managed to not be sold yet.
Super Scope 6 - Surviving since my old SNES (along with scope)
Super Turrican - Recently bought, $5.  I heard it was somewhat similar to contry and metroid, so i grabbed it.  Interesting game.
Tetris Attack - found it at Games4Games(local shop) probably one of the best multiplayer games ever.
Turtles IV - Turtles in Time - Came with system i believe... i don't remember.
Uniracers - Local game store, cost $7 fun game.
Yoshi's Island (Super Mario World 2) - Bought it from a friend, $20 (Same price it normally is)
Yoshi's Safari - Surviving since old SNES
Zombies Ate My Neighbors - Fun little multiplayer game, bought it for $5 at one of the local stores.

The main cause of those $5 games is that I broke a 20 buying a new game, and then i just bought one of those so i'd be carrying less change around.

I bought the system + those games mentioned (and a power cord + 2 controllers) for $60 off of a friend, he then used that money to buy Z.O.E 2 *shrugs*

Either way, as you can see, the majority of them are from local game stores, with a few Ebay helpings spread around  (I remember buying more on ebay).  Overall, its best to *ALWAYS* have your money with you and hope you get lucky sometimes.  Because of the games i bought over the weekend, I no longer have enough to pay for 4 swords next week.  But whats more important? Buying a game that i may never see again?  Or one that i should be able to pick up any time?  

Thats how i achieved so many rare games, I put buying old games before buying new ones.  

Edit: just added all that together, seems to be around 350 total.  Give or take 50 i suppose, there are some i don't remember buying, and there were also some that i convinced my dad to buy for me.  (I remember FF3 being one of those, and Lufia)

But, for 40 games, not that bad considering... And that averages out to about $100 a year on snes stuff.  I think i've done quite well.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
RE: I just got a snes again!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 01:32:55 PM »
Thee are still some things i'm looking for, i'm guessing i'll have around 50 titles before i consider my snes collection complete.  Odds are that those last 10 might end up costing quite a bit more,  Megaman X2 and X3 are easily over $50 each (X3 is sometimes $100) I'm lacking FF2 and Lufia 2, (both easily at least $30) and then there are a few titles that i just need to own, street fighter 2 (cheap) Mario kart (cheap) perhaps i'll buy Mario All Stars for completeness, Kirby's Avalance interests me.  U.N squadron is something i'll be picking up next chance i get to games4games unless he somehow sells it, I also want Super R-type and a few other assorted games...as long as there is a market for these games i'll have a chance on getting them.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 01:44:35 PM »
I'm somewhat of SNES collector myself.  However I've owned my SNES since 1994 so my games come from two "eras".  The first era consists of the titles I got when the system was current and the second is from my collecting era which didn't begin until around 2000 or so when I got my first job and suddenly had disposable income.  I've never traded in a game.  I buy nearly all of my games from a local chain called Willow Videogames.  I've never bought a title off of Ebay mostly because I feel the pursuit of the title is part of the fun and buying online kind of defeats the purpose.  It's a lot cooler to talk about how I found Super Metroid in mint condition with box, manual, & all the extra Nintendo Power subscription junk while checking out a local store than how I searched for the same thing on Ebay where I could have bought it off of ten different sellers.

I'm at work right now and I can't remember all my SNES titles off of the top of my head so I'll post a list like Syl's when I get home.  One thing that's odd about my collection is that there's some really major omissions that I could easily get a hold off but I have never had the desire to buy because the title is so easy to find and I'm not really that interested in it.  Super Mario Kart for example is a very major SNES title that I don't have even though as of yesterday Willow had it for sale BRAND NEW.  I find the original game to be kind of bland because it's only two players so I've never bought it even though from a collector's point of view it's a must-own.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 04:40:17 PM »
man I wish I could find any good SNES games here in the USA not on ebay...  Sounds like Canada is a great place to get them, maybe they keep them on shelves longer because of less demand?  Syl Aran U.N. Squadron was tons of fun I got that game myself back in the day randomly from a trade I made.  If you're looking for old school shooters try to get Firepower 2000 it's underrated and very cheap $.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 04:54:25 PM »
Needs more Primal Rage, NO CHEESE But yeah, hop around various pawn shops for an interesting fun time, You may find some awsome titles not just for SNES but any system, you also might discover some bizzaro smells.

Keep on the look out for these titles:-
U.N. Squadron
Lemmings
Donkey Kong Country 1,2 and 3
Yoshi's Island

oh eh, and a bunch of other titles i spose.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline soracloudtidus

• snes owns and all of you know it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 05:45:55 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys, i'll have to go to some other stores to check out and some pawn shops too ( when i get my car fixed that is) I used to have  dkc and 2,legend of zelda. I think ill try to get loz first and FF 3, althought i finished it i want to play it with the snes controller. Also i'll try to get chrono. I didnt wanted to take out my snes my mom made me do it but oh well gaming nostalgia has come back to me and as i see sometimes it can be a bit expensive sometimes it wont be. As  i got stories for the games i got i'll post them here. Btw i have a friend of mine that told me he has killer instic. I think if i offer him 5 bucks for it he'll sell it to me ( hes 12 years old so i guess he will ) Hopefully soon i'll start playing that game. Secret of  mana is a great game but my ai partners keep dying on me wich makes the game even harder than it is. A few tips that u guys can post will be gladly taken. Remember kids ...go old school.
Currently Playing: WoW, New Super Mario Bros,Legend of Zelda: Phanton Hourglass

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 06:02:24 PM »
Okay here's the list.  I don't remember what I paid for every title so if there's no note assume I bought it used at Willow Videogames.

Act Raiser
Axelay - vertical scrolling shmup by Konami, bought it because I heard the Treasure guys made it before going on their own, it's not that good
Bubsy - the second game we ever got, my brother got it for his birthday, it's a generic mascot platformer, decent but not great
Contra III
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2 - found a brand new copy, player's choice unfortunately
Donkey Kong Country 3
Earthbound - save battery doesn't work, Willow has a 3 month warranty on defective used games but I kept it because of it's rarity, if I see another copy at Willow I'll buy it and return this copy
F-Zero
Final Fantasy II - I had lost this (or suspected it was stolen) until I found it just now while I was looking over my games
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Illusion of Gaia
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby Super Star - bought this years ago but after one play it stopped working so I returned it, found another copy a few months ago
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - got this for FREE when I bought Madden, the guy who sold threw it in as a bonus
Madden NFL '94 - the only Madden title I'll ever own, my brother wanted it because it was five players and we like using our multitap
Mega Man X - one the "original era" titles
Mortal Kombat II
NBA Jam - one the "original era" titles, it's the Charles Barkley version which is somewhat significant since Acclaim removed him from the game when they released Barkley: Shut up and Jam
Ninja Warriors - think Final Fight with ROBOT NINJAS!  Sadly it's only one player
Saturday Night Slam Masters - one the "original era" titles, best SNES four player game easy
Secret of Evermore
Star Fox - found it in mint with box and manual
Street Fighter II Turbo
Stunt Race FX
Sunset Riders
Super Castlevania IV
Super Gameboy
Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World - first SNES game we ever got, first SNES game anyone ever got
Super Metroid - found it in mint with box and manual
Super Punch-Out!
Tetris Attack
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
WWF Raw - most brutally painful button masher ever made, notable for having six characters in the ring at once
Yoshi's Island

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 04:51:11 AM »
nice list of games.... How does Stunt Race FX hold up these days?  Is it even playable anymore?  I see it oftenly, and I thought it was an incredibly fun game back then.  But starfox takes some getting used with its roughly 15 frames per second and I don't know if i could stomach Stunt Race FX's gameplay if its that slow.  
Likewise, the graphical style wouldn't bother me, its just the slowness im worried about.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 07:31:03 AM »
I haven't played Stunt Race FX for a few years so it's hard for me to say but I do know that when I bought it and played it it didn't seem nearly as fun as when I used to rent it with my friends back when it was current.  My main problem with it is the controls which even back in 1994 I thought were pretty floaty.  I'm so used to using an analog stick now that playing that game with digital controls felt really weird.  I find Star Fox hard to control now too.  If they re-released those two games with analog control they would probably play pretty well.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 10:28:11 AM »
I must admit that I never really took to Stunt Racer.  Although, I hated all racing games on consoles other than Mario Kart until Rush came out.

Star Fox on the other hand still holds up for me quite well.

Offline TOY

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2004, 03:49:44 AM »
Never sold my Snes or Nes although I did sell some of the games. Still have FF 3 MINT in the box though.

TOY

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2004, 05:40:46 AM »
I actually see no reason in buying SNES games MINT, considering that I do play all the ones I own.

I also doubt i could keep track of all those boxes, I currently have too many snes games for where theyre being held anyway, once i get a few more cube games i'll be completely out of room on that shelf.

Offline WallOfDoom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2004, 11:30:46 AM »
Cool. As far as I'm concerned, the SNES is nintendos' finest hour that hasn't been surpassed since. The best games are real hard to find though.
Auto-reply to anything Bill says: Don't get so tense over nothing.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 05:19:01 PM »
If you live in certain states (couldn't tell you where, off-hand) you can find a CD/Game Exchange, which sells some extremely cheap used games.  I got a copy of Super Metroid for $5.  Super Mario All-Stars was $2.50, Donkey Kong Country 2 was (I think) $8,  and Final Fantasy 3 (VI) was $15.  Not to mention the many other games from other systems I've got there for similarly astounding prices.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2004, 12:54:13 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldShadow1
If you live in certain states (couldn't tell you where, off-hand) you can find a CD/Game Exchange, which sells some extremely cheap used games.  I got a copy of Super Metroid for $5.  Super Mario All-Stars was $2.50, Donkey Kong Country 2 was (I think) $8,  and Final Fantasy 3 (VI) was $15.  Not to mention the many other games from other systems I've got there for similarly astounding prices.

we have a place called "CD/game exchange" here, and it does have some rare games.

It also sells stuff like Gradius III for $30, and the copy of FF3 they were asking $80 for it.

Needless to say, i never walked in there again.

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2004, 09:13:31 PM »
wow prices are high in Wisconsin and Minnesota.  i paid $50  for Earthbound an $70 for FF3.  sh!t.  and those were cheaper than other places.

Offline WallOfDoom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2004, 05:14:50 AM »
Nope, its just as high where I live for those games. The game-exchange where I live isn't that big of a save. The newer games are always retail prices, and the rare games are always at insane prices. 5.00 for super metroid yes, but 2.50 I've never seen for any game over the crap level of quality. To give you an idea just how stupid some prices are for the rarer games, check out this Mega Man X3 game for sale at half.com. Mega Man X3
Auto-reply to anything Bill says: Don't get so tense over nothing.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2004, 06:13:28 AM »
Tis the normal price for megaman X3 (as i stated above)  likewise, if theyre charging stuff like 50 for earthbound, just go to a different place, it wasn't hard for me to find it for $30... ebay has some amazing deals if you look.  (I gotta grab the bombermans)