Author Topic: Epic Mickey Sequel Coming to Wii, Is a Musical  (Read 11844 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Mickey Sequel Coming to Wii, Is a Musical
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 09:50:27 PM »
There is still that trademark issue with the Wii U name that is still going on.

That is a long shot, but still another possible reason why this and many other games are not mentioned for Wii U or show no logo. (name change incoming?)

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 02:07:11 AM »
@BnM

Incoming name change would be awesome!

@Insano

Yea, but, why would anyone care if the user base was splintered between one Nintendo platform and another?

Plus, since copying and pasting games between the PS3 and 360 is apparently so fun and easy, they might as well drop it on the Wii U too.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 02:11:39 AM »
The Xbox 360 version will most likely be Kinect compatible and will allow the player to dance along with the musical sessions. If Fred Welker is voicing Oswald then he msut be doing his Fred from Scooby Doo voice. Although it would be nice if he voiced the Blot as well with his Dr. Cllaw voice. He only has two voice types.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 02:39:57 AM »
I am excited for this, Disney has shown a lot of improvement with Princess and the Frog along with Tangled in regards to their music. Wishing them the best success for attempting to incorporate musical elements to this, trouble is that if it is not handled right it will sink the game. As a fan of Disney I really want to see Epic Mickey become a successful and well made series.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 02:41:49 AM »
@Insano

Yea, but, why would anyone care if the user base was splintered between one Nintendo platform and another?

Plus, since copying and pasting games between the PS3 and 360 is apparently so fun and easy, they might as well drop it on the Wii U too.

I think the idea would be that the Wii U version would lower the sales of the Wii version, which needs to be independently developed. They could just do a Wii U version and not a Wii one, but that would upset a lot of people as well. Really though, I was just hazarding a guess. It's very possible that there's a Wii U version as well and they're choosing to wait to announce it.

This got me thinking. If they are doing a Wii U version as well as a Wii version, I think it would be in their best interest to make the Wii version its own thing, and not just a downported version of the PS3/360/WiiU game. That way, you might see someone buy both the Wii and Wii U versions, and instead of splintering the user base you've gotten some people to double dip (or triple, if they also got the 3DS one).
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 01:12:32 PM »

This got me thinking. If they are doing a Wii U version as well as a Wii version, I think it would be in their best interest to make the Wii version its own thing, and not just a downported version of the PS3/360/WiiU game. That way, you might see someone buy both the Wii and Wii U versions, and instead of splintering the user base you've gotten some people to double dip (or triple, if they also got the 3DS one).

If they put an equal amount of effort and mainstream appeal in to this ground up Wii game? Sure.  But has that ever been the case?  Usually when companies do that it's like, over here is the real game, and on the Wii we have Epic Mickey - Those Little Gremlins Party: Rail Shooter Edition.  In other words, a game people wouldn't even be interested in no matter what platform it's on.

No, the Wii is capable of great games, the smartest thing they could do (both in terms of sales and not ignoring the girl who brought you to the dance) would be to either:

A) build an awesome Wii game and then up-res it for PS3/60(/Wii U?)
or
B) cancel the Wii game, put the same game on PS3/60/Wii U and give Nintendo fans that 3DS game as that nod of loyalty.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »

If they put an equal amount of effort and mainstream appeal in to this ground up Wii game? Sure.  But has that ever been the case?  Usually when companies do that it's like, over here is the real game, and on the Wii we have Epic Mickey - Those Little Gremlins Party: Rail Shooter Edition.  In other words, a game people wouldn't even be interested in no matter what platform it's on.

No, the Wii is capable of great games, the smartest thing they could do (both in terms of sales and not ignoring the girl who brought you to the dance) would be to either:

A) build an awesome Wii game and then up-res it for PS3/60(/Wii U?)
or
B) cancel the Wii game, put the same game on PS3/60/Wii U and give Nintendo fans that 3DS game as that nod of loyalty.

Not sure how they are going to handle it, I do know it would be stupid to throw a poorly ported game onto Wii. The game sold 1.3 million copies, so it was a success. Hopefully that factors into what they do and they take the Wii version seriously. I can see the Wii being the lead platform in this case.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 02:45:58 PM »
If they put an equal amount of effort and mainstream appeal in to this ground up Wii game? Sure.  But has that ever been the case?

Guitar Hero World Tour and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed come to mind. But you're right, not many.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 07:38:37 PM »
If they have this many people working on it then it must be good this time, right?

Right?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 07:54:32 PM »
If they have this many people working on it then it must be good this time, right?

Right?

Well, the first thing they should do is put a gag order on Warren Spector, assuming he's affiliated with the project.  His Peter Molyneux-esque antics last time (i.e. hyping and promising things he couldn't actually do) is probably mostly responsible for the general disappointment with the first Epic Mickey.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:44:02 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2012, 12:36:39 AM »
His Peter Molyneux-esque antics last time (i.e. hyping and promising things he couldn't actually do) is probably mostly responsible for the general disappointment with the first Epic Mickey.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED
Agreed with broodwars for the 5th time.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2012, 09:04:39 PM »
I doubt that's the case for most people. I didn't know much about it before I bought it, but I wish I had because then I'd know it wasn't a good game. I have to go back to the days of the Nintendo 64 before I can name a platformer that's worse than Epic Mickey.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2012, 10:08:45 PM »
I doubt that's the case for most people. I didn't know much about it before I bought it, but I wish I had because then I'd know it wasn't a good game. I have to go back to the days of the Nintendo 64 before I can name a platformer that's worse than Epic Mickey.

Eh, I don't. I just have to go back to Super Mario Sunshine, and I've got a platformer worse than Epic Mickey.  :P:

I really don't think Epic Mickey was that bad of a platformer.  It was just kind of middling in that regard, which I was kind of indifferent towards because of the emphasis on exploration.  My big issue with Epic Mickey was that it never lived up to its potential.  The moral choice system was utterly pointless because no matter what you do, it has minimal impact on the overall game (especially the ending).  The backtracking was also pure tedium at times, and the game was never as imaginatively dark and interesting as Warren Spector (and the concept art) teased early on.  It felt like a game that was pulling its punches, and unfortunately since that sold I don't have confidence that the sequel will buck that trend.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 10:11:45 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 04:15:55 PM »

Eh, I don't. I just have to go back to Super Mario Sunshine, and I've got a platformer worse than Epic Mickey.  :P: :

I really don't think Epic Mickey was that bad of a platformer.  It was just kind of middling in that regard, which I was kind of indifferent towards because of the emphasis on exploration.  My big issue with Epic Mickey was that it never lived up to its potential.  The moral choice system was utterly pointless because no matter what you do, it has minimal impact on the overall game (especially the ending).  The backtracking was also pure tedium at times, and the game was never as imaginatively dark and interesting as Warren Spector (and the concept art) teased early on.  It felt like a game that was pulling its punches, and unfortunately since that sold I don't have confidence that the sequel will buck that trend.

I wonder how much it had to do with Warren and how much it had to do with Disney making him pull things back. Honestly I would not be surprised if he was overruled quite often, especially when it came to the art direction, since it did get less twisted looking visually then what we seen in the first released artwork of the game.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:12:11 AM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2012, 05:14:11 PM »
I remember some of the early interviews where Spector made it sound like Oswald was the main antagonist because of his jealousy. Mickey got all the fame while Oswald was forgotten so Oswald basically made himself king of the Wasteland, attempting to give himself the life he was destined to have but never did. It seemed like Epic Mickey's story was completely different at one point. This is just conjecture on my part but I feel like Disney made Spector change it, perhaps because they didn't want Oswald's homecoming to be as a bad guy, even if just initially. If Epic Mickey (as part 1 of a trilogy) was a story about how Mickey, more or less, saves his brother from the Dark Side, the morality system would have made a hell of a lot more sense.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
That's what I was about to say. The game felt restricted by an outside force, not the artist's vision.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2012, 02:20:45 AM »
I remember some of the early interviews where Spector made it sound like Oswald was the main antagonist because of his jealousy. Mickey got all the fame while Oswald was forgotten so Oswald basically made himself king of the Wasteland, attempting to give himself the life he was destined to have but never did. It seemed like Epic Mickey's story was completely different at one point. This is just conjecture on my part but I feel like Disney made Spector change it, perhaps because they didn't want Oswald's homecoming to be as a bad guy, even if just initially. If Epic Mickey (as part 1 of a trilogy) was a story about how Mickey, more or less, saves his brother from the Dark Side, the morality system would have made a hell of a lot more sense.

Yeah I remember those too. Found an old article from IGN on it as well. I think it all points to Disney changing things or overriding him.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/104/1040693p1.html