Author Topic: (no title)  (Read 38602 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Shigeru Miyamoto's E3 Roundtable Megaton thread; NEW ZELDA!!!!!!
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2009, 01:31:10 AM »
TP's Wii controls were tacked on and awful.  Bad example.
It was the same thing except the aiming the bow was better. Tacked on, sure, but I felt it worked. To each his own.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2009, 01:32:40 AM »
As long as it doesn't have a timed element then I don't care how much of it parallels Majora's Mask.

I hope it isn't too motion-intensive because this isn't the type of game you play in quick bursts like Wii Sports...

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2009, 01:37:28 AM »
TP's Wii controls were tacked on and awful.  Bad example.
It was the same thing except the aiming the bow was better. Tacked on, sure, but I felt it worked. To each his own.
They weren't the same.  Camera control took a huge step back, item selection was awkward, and simply remapping B to waggle for combat just felt wrong, particularly when playing as a wolf.  I honestly couldn't stand it. XP
GOREGASM!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2009, 01:48:45 AM »
The Wii controls for the game were vastly superior to the GameCube version. Camera was never a problem for me, item selection felt natural, waggling for combat made it feel more fun. I also loved playing in wolf form (although controls weren't as good as wolf mode). It was by far the best Zelda experience ever.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2009, 01:56:44 AM »
Waggling for combat could have felt more fun if they'd put any effort into it.  Why do I still have to move forward to perform a stab?  Why can't I just wave the remote up to do a jump attack?  I kept wanting to use the remote like it was a sword and had to keep reminding myself to think of it as a glorified B button.  Even without the motionplus sword combat could have been much more visceral than it was.
GOREGASM!

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2009, 03:08:52 AM »
I'm not surprised to hear that a new Zelda is in the works but if they don't have anything to show now then it probably won't be released until another two years or so. Still, it is good to know it is coming eventually.

Yes except you'll have the awkward decision as to whether to purchase Zelda on Wii w/ motion plus or Wii 2 w/ tacked on head tracking and hologrammophonic controls. And a mirrored world of course.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2009, 01:00:54 PM »
Give me motion Zelda.  I want to twist the Master Sword as I drive it into a Moblin.

Better yet, give me MOTION CREMIA.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2009, 01:03:47 PM »
I'm not surprised to hear that a new Zelda is in the works but if they don't have anything to show now then it probably won't be released until another two years or so. Still, it is good to know it is coming eventually.

Yes except you'll have the awkward decision as to whether to purchase Zelda on Wii w/ motion plus or Wii 2 w/ tacked on head tracking and hologrammophonic controls. And a mirrored world of course.

Hey, if it's mirrored again, it'll be back to normal, right?
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2009, 01:49:37 PM »
Are there any clear pictures of this older Link any where? all i've seen is the NWR blury tiny one.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2009, 03:28:54 PM »
Are there any clear pictures of this older Link any where? all i've seen is the NWR blury tiny one.
where did you see that?

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
where did you see that?

Either in a staff blog or talkback section.. one of those forums i barely visit but should
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NovaQ

• View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2009, 04:01:18 PM »
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2009, 10:35:38 PM »
So it looks vaguely Twilight Princess-ish? Twilight sequel confirmed? I'd like to see Midna return in some fashion. I liked her.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2009, 11:02:44 PM »
Midna was the only character that was remotely interesting, but I wouldn't want to revisit that Hyrule again any time soon.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2009, 11:04:28 PM »
Who said it had to be set in Hyrule? Did Majora's Mask take place in Ocarina's Hyrule, or even Hyrule at all?
My Game Collection

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2009, 11:10:07 PM »
Ugh, whatever. I meant, the world in general presented in Twilight Princess wasn't very interesting. It was like Ocarina of Time but annoying and there were collect-a-thons everywhere, they even made collecting heart pieces more annoying. I don't want to derail this topic into a TP thread. The game was good, but riddled with questionable design choices.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2009, 11:15:28 PM »
OK, I understand, I though you were talking about the literal game region, but you were speaking more of art style and tone. I can understand that.

There is still time after all, it is just concept art. It could turn out to be a whole lot different. It could even change directions to a more cel-shaded look if Miyamoto felt like it. That would actually make a lot of sense I think to make it more of a Wind Waker style game but with no water to sail on.
My Game Collection

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2009, 12:14:02 AM »
I think a different kind of art direction than the one in Wind Waker could do wonders for the series. Maybe something that resembled an oil painting, something Baroque/Rococo inspired (that's Baroque as in the 18th century art style, not the game), for example. I guess my issue with Wind Waker's art direction was that it was too radical a change while many other design concepts didn't evolve much from OoT/MM. It was like Nintendo missed the point. People lashed out at the graphics for being "not Zelda," which I agreed with to a point back then (now, it's just an accepted fact) but I found it charming enough that the same art direction could have been applied to a completely new and original series not tied to the rules and confines of the Zelda series and been one of that game's main selling points, the thing that made it stand out, rather than a Zelda game that alienated some fans. In other words, the Zelda brand was used to sell the art direction rather than the art direction selling the game.

My hope, though, for any sequel, not just for Zelda, is that the developers learn from mistakes made in previous installments. Twilight Princess seemed to be a response to people's distaste for Wind Waker, but many things remained largely unchanged. There was still a very large open main hub world with almost nothing to do. That was true over 10 years ago with Ocarina of Time and was still true in 2006.

I don't want to judge the new Zelda based on one fuzzy pic of concept art. However, making Link older doesn't inherently change anything.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2009, 12:24:32 AM »
I still haven't sat down and categorically explored the reasons I was disappointed with TP. *sigh*

However, I WILL say that the one experience in that game that I absolutely LOVED and couldn't have been done elsewhere was the western town section with the bow. MAN I LOVED the bow in that section of TP.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2009, 02:17:28 AM »
I only played about an hour into Twilight Princess and lost my save when I installed the homebrew channel, all this debate recently about the game is making me want to check it out for myself.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2009, 02:45:38 AM »
Oil painting huh? That is a nice idea. I to really want a new visual style for the next Zelda, too much of every other game looks exactly the same. 
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline NovaQ

• View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2009, 10:47:07 AM »
I think a different kind of art direction than the one in Wind Waker could do wonders for the series. Maybe something that resembled an oil painting, something Baroque/Rococo inspired (that's Baroque as in the 18th century art style, not the game), for example.

Oil painting huh? That is a nice idea. I to really want a new visual style for the next Zelda, too much of every other game looks exactly the same.

I was thinking the exact same thing. And who knows, Jonny described the single Zelda artwork as a watercolor piece in his detailed write-up of Miyamoto's roundtable discussion. How awesome would it be if the new Zelda looked like a living watercolor or oil painting? I can even imagine the title screen simply being an impressive still "painting," and when you start a new game, the camera fades into the painting, which starts moving to begin the opening cutscene. (They could even do mini-paintings with the same effect in the file select screen.)
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg

Offline NovaQ

• View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2009, 11:27:48 AM »
I'm trying to tie new Wii Zelda discussions to a dedicated thread, which you can find here.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2009, 05:15:26 AM »
Chris Kohler has a good interview with Miyamoto up http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/06/shigeru-miyamoto-interview/

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2009, 09:35:18 AM »
Midna was the only character that was remotely interesting, but I wouldn't want to revisit that Hyrule again any time soon.

I kinda agree.. Those other characters who are heroes like Link that go around and investigate the strange goings-on probably have a lot of interesting depth, but they are such minor characters that they don't really get a chance. Nintendo franchises have no trouble introducing lots of new characters, but what's missing is the depth. We had that with Midna, but what about all these other characters? What are their back stories? Unfortunately, we will probably never see or hear from or about them again in any future Zelda game, so that really sucks....
is your sanity...