Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 420253 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2009, 01:24:35 PM »
You know if Metroid Prime had some FMVs like this game it probably would have been more popular. The real game had some great graphics, but adding a couple of those would have taken it over the top.

Oh **** no.  I loved how in Metroid Prime the story was revealed in the scans.  Cutscenes are a crutch.  A great videogame should let you the player experience the story not watch it.  I felt Metroid Prime did it perfectly.  But you are right in that the game would probably be more popular.  Doesn't mean it would be better though.

Finding out that Sakamoto is involved completely changes my assumptions about this game.  I initially thought it was just Team Ninja being given the Metroid IP to make whatever they wanted.  But with Sakamoto involved this IS a real Metroid game.  I have supreme confidence in it now.  This just went from "I hope this turns out good" to "I can't wait until this game comes out!" :)

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2009, 01:35:07 PM »
Finding out that Sakamoto is involved completely changes my assumptions about this game.  I initially thought it was just Team Ninja being given the Metroid IP to make whatever they wanted.  But with Sakamoto involved this IS a real Metroid game.

Man this game looks like crap, totally not a real Metroid game, they're ruining the series and abusing the franchise.

"But this guy is involved"

OH MAN A++++++ GOTY EVERY YEAR I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL IT COMES OUT BEST METROID GAME EVER
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2009, 01:56:07 PM »
That interview was great! Come on guys they are going to give us all kinds of amazing Samus action with exploration and what appears to be an awesome story. We all knew that with each prime game and Fusion, metroid was heading into the more story driven side. It was a given, you should have all seen it coming.

This is the kind of thing I was waiting for, I feel bad some of you aren't as excited as I am. This was a gooood E3 for me.

One more thing, I don't know if this was posted but IssunZX or is it XZ? is there a X at all? any way he sent me this through AIM, the director talking about Metroid Dread! yeah I know...

http://wii.nintendolife.com/news/2009/06/more_than_one_metroid_in_the_pipeline

Oh yeah this Link says its 2.5D, that just can't be true for the entire game judging by the video.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 02:00:55 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2009, 03:58:18 PM »
You know if Metroid Prime had some FMVs like this game it probably would have been more popular. The real game had some great graphics, but adding a couple of those would have taken it over the top.

Oh **** no.  I loved how in Metroid Prime the story was revealed in the scans.  Cutscenes are a crutch.  A great videogame should let you the player experience the story not watch it.  I felt Metroid Prime did it perfectly.  But you are right in that the game would probably be more popular.  Doesn't mean it would be better though.

Finding out that Sakamoto is involved completely changes my assumptions about this game.  I initially thought it was just Team Ninja being given the Metroid IP to make whatever they wanted.  But with Sakamoto involved this IS a real Metroid game.  I have supreme confidence in it now.  This just went from "I hope this turns out good" to "I can't wait until this game comes out!" :)

Anyone with common sense knew that Team Ninja wasn't in full charge of it, even the way Nintendo said it stated that they were WORKING WITH it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2009, 04:40:21 PM »
Who would win in a fight: Samus or a team of ninjas?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2009, 04:44:29 PM »
Tie
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 04, 2009, 04:48:50 PM »

Samus! Ninja's are wusses and can be beaten by Spartans.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 04, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »
Anyone with common sense knew that Team Ninja wasn't in full charge of it, even the way Nintendo said it stated that they were WORKING WITH it.

I seem to recall Nintendo allowing Namco to use the Star Fox licence and making a lousy game out of it.  I seem to recall Nintendo having NST, a FIRST PARTY dev, work on a Metroid game and we got a game that plays NOTHING like Metroid at all.  So obviously I was completely out of line for being iffy about a third party developer with no experience in Metroid-style games working on a Metroid game.

Once new information was revealed to suggest otherwise I immediately changed my tune but I still feel my initial concerns were justified.  It seems that the issue here is that I didn't have 100% unconditional faith in Nintendo's word.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2009, 05:15:20 PM »
Samus! Ninja's...can be beaten by Spartans.

You get that disgusting blasphemy out of here. Anybody that calls Deadliest Warrior into a debate about historical warriors fighting loses by default.

It seems that the issue here is that I didn't have 100% unconditional faith in Nintendo's word.

Or that your opinion of the game changes based on who's working on it, and not on how the game actually looks.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2009, 05:32:38 PM »
It seems that the issue here is that I didn't have 100% unconditional faith in Nintendo's word.

Or that your opinion of the game changes based on who's working on it, and not on how the game actually looks.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. I know I'd have signiicantly less faith in Super Mario Galaxy 2 if it weren't being made by EAD Tokyo.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2009, 06:05:15 PM »

I think this is an incredibly logical reason for changing my opinion.

If Guns N Roses were to announce a new tour I would roll my eyes but if later it was revealed that the original lineup was involved I would change my opinion very quickly.

The people behind the game are ultimately what matters.  Same with movies or books or music.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 04, 2009, 06:11:53 PM »
No, it's like hearing a new song from Guns N Roses that sounds totally awesome but saying "it doesn't have the original lineup, so it's going to suck."
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 04, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
Team Ninja is certainly living up to their name and making this Metroid into a real Ninja beat-em-up. But does this really make sense in a sci-fi universe? When you are battling an enormous alien dragon thing you'd probably want to keep as much distance from it as possible... I know its cooler to jump onto its head and blow its brains out at close range, but this has never been Samus' style.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2009, 07:15:10 PM »
Finding out that Sakamoto is involved completely changes my assumptions about this game.  I initially thought it was just Team Ninja being given the Metroid IP to make whatever they wanted.  But with Sakamoto involved this IS a real Metroid game.
Sakurai was still involved with Super Smash Brothers Brawl and that game was ruined so I'm still skeptical of this game myself.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2009, 07:43:09 PM »
When you are battling an enormous alien dragon thing you'd probably want to keep as much distance from it as possible... I know its cooler to jump onto its head and blow its brains out at close range, but this has never been Samus' style.

She has that badass suit for a reason, and we've always HEARD about her doing awesome stuff like in the trailer for Other M, but we've just never seen it in a game.

Sakurai was still involved with Super Smash Brothers Brawl and that game was ruined

Hahaha. Oh wow.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2009, 08:12:21 PM »
Team Ninja is certainly living up to their name and making this Metroid into a real Ninja beat-em-up. But does this really make sense in a sci-fi universe? When you are battling an enormous alien dragon thing you'd probably want to keep as much distance from it as possible... I know its cooler to jump onto its head and blow its brains out at close range, but this has never been Samus' style.

It is AMAZING how much in depth information you have about the game. You must share your source especially after hearing that Sakamoto and his team are working extremely close with them.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2009, 09:38:14 PM »

All I'm going by is that video of Samus battling that dragon thing (Ridley?). But isn't that enough? Unless they strip it out we know its already in.

It is AMAZING how much in depth information you have about the game. You must share your source especially after hearing that Sakamoto and his team are working extremely close with them.
is your sanity...

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2009, 10:48:38 PM »
Since no one seems to have posted it yet, here's another interview with Sakamoto by IGN.

He basically reiterates that they teamed up with Team Ninja for their experience with 3D, and that this game will definitely still have exploration.  In fact, he said that when they interviewed the team they didn't even know they were talking to Team Ninja; he was just interested in finding an experienced 3D developer who could understand his vision.  He also talked about how the story is intended to really flesh out Samus' past.
GOREGASM!

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2009, 11:40:22 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX1pqMwvM8U

No morph balls in '01 prime 1 demo either, but lots of action.

Oh I remember how the atmosphere seemed so cool with this preview. The final game was completely different though, much more "shiny" and less organic. Not that I'm saying Prime was bad because it wasn't, but this felt more like super metroid.

Oh and they did show some morph ball in the art there, the samus studies were all to see how to fit a human in the varia suit, including samus all curled up, I'm pretty sure that was for the morphball.

I've always dreamed that someone would make a whole transformers-like transition from suit to morphball, although it seems imposible to actually come up with something like that that works realistically, but some designer should be up to the challenge! the little blocks coming around making the suit in the trailer seemed kind of lazy in my eyes.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
another .gif to right click-->save
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2009, 12:55:17 PM »
another .gif to right click---> save

GTFO

Haloid... I mean Halo... uhhh Hello Lady
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:29:10 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2009, 01:20:53 PM »
I like the Prime series because it became a better Zelda than Zelda.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2009, 02:51:10 PM »
Samus! Ninja's are wusses and can be beaten by Spartans.

Of course Samus would win, but Ninjas don't yell (they're silent assassins) before they attack just like in the beginning of the Ninjas Vs Spartans final battle, and that Spartan would've been dead right from the getgo without even knowing it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2009, 03:11:45 PM »

only a bigger intro fmv, an fmv in the middle, and one at the end are necassary, i wouldn't want the game to become metal gear solid. The pretty much did that with corruption, but at this point you want to hide that the graphics are not as good as the competitors. Half the people don't notice the gameplay graphics are different, other people think they are that way the whole game, other people just don't care about the difference.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2009, 08:13:48 PM »
fixed:

GOREGASM!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2009, 09:39:46 PM »
Wow, so Samus not only has the moves of a Ninja but also the strength of a juggernaut? Looks like her beam weapons are going to be collecting dust from disuse....
is your sanity...