Author Topic: 3D Realms go POP  (Read 9413 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
3D Realms go POP
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:55:18 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8037688.stm

If there's one thing the recession is good for, it's cutting the fat. I'm not referring to how good a developer they are, but how good they are at functioning at a business.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Realms go POP
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:49:49 AM »
Don't worry, DNF will still be released.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 12:21:55 PM »
Don't worry, DNF will still be released.
Yeah, but now I'll have to wait forever for it. :(

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 12:41:52 PM »
This company should have gone under regardless of any recession.  When was the last time they released ANYTHING?  When you work on the same game for ten years what do you expect?

It is kind of a bummer though as back when they were Apogee they made some really cool games.  They were a big part of my childhood.  Back when my Mom thought videogames were evil shareware PC games that I bought with my own money were my only real source of gaming at home.  Apogee's games were some of the first games I ever put some serious playtime into.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 12:57:36 PM »
They weren't just doing DNF for all those years.  I don't believe they were really working on it for the entire time, either.  Mostly they worked in the background in a capacity I don't really understand (typically credited as "producer").  They were involved in the Max Payne games somehow, for example.  The last game I know of they were involved with was Prey, so it has actually been a while.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 03:22:23 PM »
On another forum someboby pointed out that Duke Nukem Forever was in development for over HALF HIS LIFE.  I never even thought of it like that before.  When it was announced I was 15 years old.  I'm now 27.  It's mindboggling to think of all that has happened in my life in that period of time.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 04:25:11 PM »
On another forum someboby pointed out that Duke Nukem Forever was in development for over HALF HIS LIFE.  I never even thought of it like that before.  When it was announced I was 15 years old.  I'm now 27.  It's mindboggling to think of all that has happened in my life in that period of time.

If you look at it differently, all this has "happened"... yet have nothing to show for it.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 04:38:42 PM »
If you look at it differently, all this has "happened"... yet have nothing to show for it.

What has nothing to show for it?  3D Realms?  Or do you mean my life? ****, dude, don't depress me. :(

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 06:12:07 PM »
It's about time they got drug out behind the barn and put out of their misery.

I forgot they used to be Apogee. Maybe someone else will pick up the rights to their old properties because I loved the old Apogee games.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 06:16:12 PM »

What has nothing to show for it?  3D Realms?  Or do you mean my life? ****, dude, don't depress me. :(

No... LOL. Them! 15 years of making something, and its for nothing now.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 07:01:54 PM »
No... LOL. Them! 15 years of making something, and its for nothing now.

You're right.  If anyone involved in that game truly was passionate about it then it would be depressing to have spent so long working on it only for it to now NEVER be finished.  It's a really lousy feeling when you put a lot of time and effort into something and it ends up being for nothing.  Though in my own experience I'm talking a few month's worth of investment.  Over a decade?  ****.  But then DNF was in such development hell I wonder if anyone at 3D Realms was honestly thinking "damn it I just needed a little more time!"

What's scary is you look at Too Human, which went from the Playstation to the Gamecube to the Xbox 360 and looked like it would NEVER be released, and it's entire development occured WITHIN Duke Nukem Forever's.  Too Human was announced TWO YEARS after DNF and ended up being released about 9 months before 3D Realms went under.  DNF has to be the worst example of videogame development hell ever.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 07:15:37 PM »
laffo, what was taking them so long to finish the game?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 10:51:31 PM »
laffo, what was taking them so long to finish the game?

I would imagine that one of the problems was that every time there was a major graphical jump they had to restructure the different engines that powered the game. I know in Too Human's case they switched engines at least twice and ended up scraping Unreal Engine (that was the one, right?) and built a new one from near scratch.

That takes time. Plus when you make the game look better you tend to have to make new models and better assets to fit in the better engine.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 11:46:01 PM »
So they were completely unrealistic.

They were constantly updating their assets and engines FOR FUN.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 11:50:59 PM »
"Sadly, Duke Nukem Forever was the most aptly named title in the history of games. Now, it's just Duke Nukem Never."

Well, I'll always have my fond memories of the Duke Nukem games, even the original 2d side scrollers. Shadow Warrior and Blood were cool too.

Maybe the mod-community can pitch in and do what 3d realms couldn't?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 01:55:50 AM »
yeah, you know i always wonder what a game developed for 10 years in the future would be like. Predict what game hardware will be like, buy a bunch of super computers, develop the best damn game you can for that hardware and then when market hardware has caught up release it. That is a very hard plan to follow through with.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 10:27:13 AM »
I forgot they used to be Apogee. Maybe someone else will pick up the rights to their old properties because I loved the old Apogee games.

They spun off Apogee as a new company last year, and the official word in the article above is that Apogee is unaffected, which means the best trailer from last E3 was not made in vain.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 12:03:29 PM »
In Duke We Trust

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 01:56:26 PM »
What the fook did you expect?  They spent all their time doing "background research" which spent slipping bills to underaged topless dancers at Mike's Bar.  Or maybe they were waiting for another Evil Dead movie so they can copy the dialog.

At least they got the title right:  Forever :)--it now replaces Daikatana as the biggest waste of time and money spent.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 02:48:51 PM »
I told my brother yesterday and he actually found the news depressing.  Deep down he hoped that someday DNF would come out.  Like he wasn't expecting it to or was anxiously waiting for it.  It just sunk in that this game he really was looking forward to when he 12 years old is never coming out.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 02:56:16 PM »
I told my brother yesterday and he actually found the news depressing.  Deep down he hoped that someday DNF would come out.  Like he wasn't expecting it to or was anxiously waiting for it.  It just sunk in that this game he really was looking forward to when he 12 years old is never coming out.

I laugh at your brother
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 10:34:06 PM »
My optimism for DNF was mostly killed when they started showing media of the latest reboot that revealed it to apparently be another colorless, plastic-looking piece of garbage like most FPSs seem to be these days, so I have a hard time particularly caring about 3DR's demise.  I wish they'd finished the version of DNF that they showed off at E3 in 2001.
GOREGASM!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 11:43:38 PM »
LOL!  That could've been on GameCube!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 12:00:30 AM »
they could've made a sequel by now and called it Duke Nukem: Forever and a Day

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 12:08:03 AM »
It's crazy to think that Duke Nukem Forever has been in development for over half of my lifetime. I can't imagine working on something for over a dozen years and not being able to finish it. That would be the worst sting for me.