Author Topic: Help me with my dream!  (Read 36941 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Help me with my dream!
« on: January 01, 2007, 04:13:42 PM »
Okay, as some of you know, I'm a Nintendo Hardware Whore.  And just a whore.

But anywhoo, in spite of the fact that I've done such neat things as liked my SNES and GameCube together to play original GB Tetris multiplayer and hooked my Wii, GameCube and PS1/Monitor together in some mad orgy for Pac-Man vs., I still haven't completed the one thing I've wanted to do since... well, since I first heard it was possible.

About 15 years ago, FaceBall 2000 was released for the GameBoy.  I got this game, probably sometime around when it was released and was amused by it.  It was a FPS.  In black and white.  For the Game Boy.  It wasn't very exciting in single player though.  I always wanted to try multi-player, but never had a second cart or knew anyone who did.  In fact, I'm not certian how or why I got my copy...

So here's the deal though... This game is very unique and special - and not just because it's the only FPS for the original Game Boy... but because it is the only Game Boy game *EVER* to support 16 players at once.  Yes, friends, you can connect up to 16 Game Boys (each with a copy of this cart) for a 16 Player FaceBall 2000 Death Match.

And I want to.

The problem is, I don't have 16 copies of the game.

In fact, I only have one.  (although I did just purchase a second used copy on eBay tonight!).

I've never seen this particular game out in the wild.  In fact, when I think about looking, I've only ever seen one other copy on eBay (it's still there, in fact... it's $40 and sealed, much more than I want to spend).

So, if y'all could, when you're out looking through your various used game stores, keep an eye out for this one.  I don't want to pay much for this (I'm cheap and I don't know how easily I could explain to my wife why I need 16 copies of this game).

As for hardware...
I have the following GameBoys that will work:
Two original Brick Game Boys
One Red Brick Game Boy
One Game Boy Color
Two Game Boy Advances
One Game Boy Advance SP
One Super Nintendo with Super Game Boy 2
One GameCube with Game Boy Player

For a total of 9 Game Boys!  I also have a spare Game Boy Player, but I'm still looking for a cheap-ass second Game Cube... I'm guessing I'll probably have that before I manage to gather 16 copies of this game.  Also, I have high hopes a certian someone will come through with getting me a cheap ass Game Boy Light from Japan.  So, this'll bring me up to 11 Game Boys.  Outside of that, original Game Boys and Game Boy Pockets can be found super-cheap, so I'm not to worried about that.

For Cables, I'm not 100% certian what I have.  This is where it gets a little tricky though.  For 16 players, you'd need 7 of the old F-1 Race 4 Player adapters.

I have them.

In fact, Troz did some fancy work on one of them and made it so it can connect directly to a GameBoy Advance instead of the older style Game Boy - so I'm set with FPA's.  Unfortunatly, the FPAs require either original Game Boy Link cables (and with those, original Game Boys) or one of the various "Universal Link Cables" that has the fat plug on one end and the smaller plug on the other end (to which every thing else from Post-Game Boy to GBA will connect to).  I *think* I'm cool on original Link Cables (depending on how I finish off the Game Boy collection for this), but I know I'll probably need some more Universal Link Cables.  However, these are pretty easy to come across, so I'm not worried about this.  The Game Paks are the hard part.

Well, almost.

I'm going to have to get 15 other people to play as well.  I'd think that for something as crazy as this, I could get my wife to throw in a round or two.  And a few friends and friends of friends, here and there should work, if I can convince them to drive an hour (or more) to play a 15 year old black and white game.  Maybe I can give away a prize.

Anywhoo, the point is, keep an eye out for super-cheap FaceBall 2000 carts, would ya?  Let me know if you find one (or Fourteen!).

Eventually, if my plan gets off the ground here, I might piece together a website (although I'm going to have to get something better than my camera phone to take pics with), just so y'all can see how crazy the hook up ends up being.  
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Help me with my dream!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 04:27:27 PM »
I bought a used copy at a game store that sold used games a few years ago. o:  You can't have it. o_o  I think I might've also gotten a copy of the SNES version for shits and giggles. :b

I don't visit such stores much anymore, though (I usually order games online for the convenience).  So I'll probably be pretty useless. ):
GOREGASM!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 05:00:31 PM »
Yokai, taichou!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 05:18:32 PM »
Well, I'm slightly lost on what Bill's talking about there, but I've just realized something...

If I spend just $10 each, I'll have $150 invested in just the extra copies of the game.

Unfortunatly, I just got a little trigger happy and purchased a second (mentioned in the OP) and third copy from eBay and Half.com for just under $15 each.

Considering it'll cost a minimum of $3-$5 to get the games shipped to me, I could end up with quite a bit invested in this.

I need to rethink this plan.  I'm thinking I need sponsors.  I can place stickers of various company logos on my Game Boys that would show up on the videos that I'd upload of the 16-player match happening... think that'll work?  It'd be like NASCAR, only cooler and more interesting.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 05:50:16 PM »
That's a terrible idea.  You should do what Bill said.
GOREGASM!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE:Help me with my dream!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 06:14:49 PM »
If I can find a copy of the game, I will trade it to you in exchange for removing the man-nipple from your avatar.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 06:35:51 PM »
Will you also buy a game for me if I make my avatar that Link x Dark Link one? o:
GOREGASM!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 03:54:20 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
If I can find a copy of the game, I will trade it to you in exchange for removing the man-nipple from your avatar.

Done!

(although my forum title doesn't make any sense now...)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 05:29:29 AM »
I think you'll have to make your own 16-way connector system to get those Game Boys connected as the official cables and hubs don't do that.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 06:07:37 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I think you'll have to make your own 16-way connector system to get those Game Boys connected as the official cables and hubs don't do that.

Ye-old Four Player Adapter will work, but it requires seven of them (which I have) and 15 other Link Cables (some of which I have)...

In fact, here's an intereview with one of the programmers that talks about using the 4-Player adatper: http://web.archive.org/web/20050214211828/faceball2000.gbadvanzed.com/rchampagne.html

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 06:11:44 AM »
mister uncle bob I will galdy support your cause in exchange for advertising. Pm me for details.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 08:47:45 AM »
I have nothing to offer.  However, if you somehow manage to get everything you need to do this, but are still short on players, I will drive down from Chicago and play; I'll even bring my own AAs.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 08:49:01 AM »
Hey vudu, don't you at least have an old Game Boy lying around that you could bring with you?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 09:46:25 AM »
Okay, I took an inventory of what I've got and what I'll need.  I'm a little short from what I said in my opening post, so here we go again:

First, I need 16 copies of FaceBall 2000.
FaceBall 2000 #1 - Alpha Copy (i.e.: My original)
FaceBall 2000 #2 - Purchased from eBay on 1.1.07
FaceBall 2000 #3 - Purchased from Half.com on 1.1.07
FaceBall 2000 #4 - Purchased from Half.com on 1.2.07
FaceBall 2000 #5 - Purchased from Amazon.com on 1.2.07 (Thanks segagamer12)
FaceBall 2000 #6 - Purchased from Amazon.com on 1.2.07 (Thanks segagamer12)
FaceBall 2000 #7 - Purchased from Amazon.com on 1.2.07 (Thanks segagamer12)
FaceBall 2000 #8 - Purchased from eBay on 1.4.07
FaceBall 2000 #9 - Purchased from eBay on 1.4.07
FaceBall 2000 #10 - Purchased from eBay on 1.5.07
FaceBall 2000 #11 - Purchased from eBay on 1.5.07
FaceBall 2000 #12 - Purchased from Half.com on 1.5.07
FaceBall 2000 #13 - Purchased from eBay on 1.7.07
FaceBall 2000 #14 - Purchased from eBay on 1.7.07
FaceBall 2000 #15 - *pending*
FaceBall 2000 #16 - *pending*
(Score me a cart and get your name here!)

Then, I need 16 GameBoy units:
GameBoy #1-Original Brick Game Boy (my first!)
GameBoy #2-Original Brick Game Boy (one my mom bought used for Tetris)
GameBoy #3-Red Brick Game Boy (Bought it used, cheap, because it's Red!)
GameBoy #4-Grape Game boy Color (my original Game Boy Color)
GameBoy #5-SNES+SuperGameBoy 2+Game Genie+TV (USES SNES *pending*)
GameBoy #6-Indigo Game Boy Advance (my original)
GameBoy #7-Glaicer Game Boy Advance (Mystery Gift?!)
GameBoy #8-Classic NES edition GBASP (my baby)
GameBoy #9-GameCube+GameBoy Player+TV
GameBoy #10-Original Brick Game Boy *pending*
GameBoy #11-GameBoy Pocket*pending*
GameBoy #12-GameBoy Pocket *pending*
GameBoy #13-GameBoy Color *pending*
GameBoy #14-
GameBoy #15-
GameBoy #16-GameBoy Player + TV (needs a Cheap-ass GameCube to go with it)
(Score me a Game Boy and get your name here!)

Next up, I need seven, count 'em, seven 4-player adapters.  The first and the last will connect three Game Boys each (16-6=10) and the ones in the middle will connect two each (10/2=5, 5+2=7!):
Four Player Adapter #1-My original from F-1 Race back in the day.
Four Player Adapter #2-Purchased super-cheap from The Book and Music Exchange in Evansville, IN.  Modified to connect to a GBA port.
Four Player Adapter #3-Purchased super-cheap from The Book and Music Exchange in Evansville, IN.
Four Player Adapter #4-Purchased super-cheap from The Book and Music Exchange in Evansville, IN.
Four Player Adapter #5-Purchased super-cheap from The Book and Music Exchange in Evansville, IN.
Four Player Adapter #6-Purchased super-cheap from The Book and Music Exchange in Evansville, IN.
Four Player Adapter #7-Purchased from eBay on 1.7.07

Then, finally, I need the link cables to connect all this crap together.  There are three official kinds of Link Cables that I can use, depending upon the unit.
There's the original style of Link Cable that has the fatter plug on both ends.  This cable is needed to connect original style Game Boys (#1, #2, #3)
There's a second style of Link.  This cable features the smaller cable on one end, then splits off into two cables - one with the smaller end and one with the fatter end.  The fatter end is needed to plug into the Four Player Adapter and the opposite smaller end can be pluged into all the other GameBoys (Pockets, Colors, Advances and the Super Game Boy 2).  The 3rd other end can't be plugged into anything.
Third, is the more common "Universal Link Cable",  It's got two small plugs on both ends and comes with a nifty little adapter that changes the skinny plug into a fat plug.  Ideally, if you had one of these cables and two adapters, it could be used for original Game Boys as well.

These are numbered to match the Game Boy listing above:

Link Cable #1 - Old style Link Cable from my original Game Boy
Link Cable #2 - Old style Link Cable purchased super-cheap from The Book and Music Exchange in Evansville, IN.
Link Cable #3 - Oldstyle Link Cable from eBay (1.7.7)
Link Cable #4 - Y Link Cable from Game Boy Printer
Link Cable #5 - Y Link Cable purchased from The Book Broker in Evansville, IN.
Link Cable #6 - Universal Link Cable purchased from Wal*Mart in Princeton, IN
Link Cable #7 - The cable coming off Four Player Adapter #2
Link Cable #8 - Auction Cable
Link Cable #9 - Auction Cable
Link Cable #10 - Oldstyle Link Cable from eBay (1.7.7)
Link Cable #11 - Auction Cable
Link Cable #12 - Auction Cable
Link Cable #13 - Auction Cable
Link Cable #14 - Auction Cable?
Link Cable #15 - Auction Cable?
Link Cable #16 - Auction Cable?

So... As of now, I need ZERO cables, Zero Four Player Adapters, maybe 2 Game Boys and a GameCube (or another Game Boy), and maybe two more copies of FaceBall 2000.      

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 09:53:03 AM »
O_O

I think I can help you.  I have a get rich quick scheme I've been cooking up for a while that might help you, but we're going to need a large pile of wood, tons of lighter fluid, a match, and an eBay account.  It involves a fake story about your house burning down and a piece of wood with the visage of the Virgin Mary on it.  Catch my drift?  Get on it.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 10:12:58 AM »
I still have my GB player and GC available but I dont knwo if they are for sale I have to ask my sister.  
You can call me

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 08:23:19 PM »
Do the parts you have so far work? Can you try setting up a network of the parts you have already?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 02:06:16 AM »
Unfortunatly, I only actually have one copy of FB2K in my posession at this point in time - I'm waiting on the other six to be shipped out.  Untill at least four more arrive, I won't be able to test much of anything.

I have successfully ran 4-Player F1-Race with one player though.

Okay everyone, a little bit of an update!  The Only FaceBall 2000 Fansite on the web is back!  I e-mailed Don last night about my plans and asked him if there was any chance of seeing the site brought back so that I could have something to link to besides the Internet WayBack machine and he hooked me up!

http://fb2k.retro-spect.ca/

Go there and check it out.  It's got screen shots, an awesome interview (with another one coming soon!) and some other fun stuff.  Check it out... it's where my event pictures may end up being hosted.

Also, I just upgraded my cell phone!  Whoo!  The new phone I'm getting has a 2 MP Digital Camera and a video mode.  If, for some reason, this still sucks, I imangine that I'll be able to borrow a friend's camera for pictures.  But this phone better not suck, because I want it.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 03:52:37 AM »
UncleBob, I have, in my possesion, two gray brick Game Boys.  The only thing is that one has scratches on the screen [plays fine otherwise], while the other doesn't have a battery case.

Find a way for me to get one [or both] to you, and you're golden.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 04:13:07 AM »
Wow... I checked the store.nintendo.com site, because they used to sell battery covers and replacement screens cheap, but it appears they don't sell either one.

Well, Anywhoo, that's awesome either way!  I won't have the old, fatter link cables for them, but that shouldn't be as much of an issue.  How much for the pair, shipped to ZIP 62821?

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 04:41:44 AM »
Tell you what buddy, I'll be a sport and just part my ways with them.  They've just been sitting in my desk not doing anything so consider them yours.

Information would be great to send them too
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 05:32:47 AM »
Now that I think of it, I think I also have a Pocket somewhere too O,o

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 05:55:48 AM »
Dude!  You're giving me a heart attack... I think this is going to work.
I have an eBay auction with one day left to go that will be a big boom to this entire plan, even more so combined with a purchase I just made from Nintendo's Parts Department.

Vudu, were you serious about coming down?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 06:39:31 AM »
If you can somehow manage to get 16 copies of the game, sure.  I have a few Game Boys of my own (and maybe an old link cable, but I'd have to double check on that one), but I didn't think those would be the limiting factor.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 08:50:06 AM »
dude give me plenty of notice and Id come. On second thought just getme pics and vids and call it good.  
You can call me

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 09:50:05 PM »
Hell, I'd have been happy had I ever managed to get ONE copy of Faceball 2000. I've always wanted that when I only had the original GB.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2007, 11:56:33 AM »
KDR - do you wanna come and play when I get it set up?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2007, 12:27:50 PM »
UncleBob,

Make an event at a gaming con where people pay to have a chance to be one of the 16.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2007, 12:28:04 PM »
Vudu, you'd better be serious.  I'm only nine copies short and I'm got one pending and could have two more, but the asking price on the pair is a little bit above what I want to go at this point (anyone want to donate to my cause? )

And if this other deal goes through, I'll have 20 link cables coming in that should take care of the linking issues.

I think this is actually going to happen.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007, 12:51:50 PM »
If This event happens I think it deserves a press release and sponsors. Heck, it's tempting to fly out for if I can find a copy of the game. UncleBobfest 2K7!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2007, 01:06:15 PM »
It was suggested to me that I shoot an e-mail to Nintendo Power.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2007, 01:09:51 PM »
Good idea. I think if you issued a press release to the various gaming blogs you would get some coverage as well.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2007, 02:53:07 PM »
Ill run the story on my news section on my site, it will be the biggest news I ever ran so far. Plus you get the exposure of a site that gets less than 100 hits a day
You can call me

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2007, 03:02:10 PM »
Hot diggity darn, I won an auction... Check it out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:11&Item=130063690189

I'll be updating my list above in a moment.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2007, 04:09:55 PM »
So I guess that takes care of your cable needs, huh?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2007, 04:41:05 PM »
How can I donate to the cause? I'd love for this to become reality!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2007, 01:18:19 AM »
vudu: Yup - and then some!  I might make a suit out of the leftovers.

Well, Karion, There are a number of things that can be done.  First and foremost, the biggest problem with this will be finding copies of FaceBall 2000 - and cheap.  If you know of any used video game stores, go and check 'em out and let me know if they have any.  If you'd like, you can even contact me at the number in my signature so I can let you know if I'm willing to pay the cost of the game plus shipping.

In addition, I also need a super-cheap four player adapter.  I thought I had seven, but, I can only seem to find six.

I'm well on my way to getting the Game Boy units that I need - however, if you (or anyone else) have any way of getting me a super-cheap Japanese Game Boy Light (the only generation of Game Boy I don't have in the mix) or a super-cheap second Game Cube (for my extra Game Boy Player I've got), that would be awesome.

Also, if I can find a super-super-cheap SNES (I only need the console itself - I've got power cords, A/V cords and controllers) that I could use to modify for Japanese games (I'm not cutting up my SNES - that's just mean!), that'd be wonderful.  Right now, I plan on using my SNES-mini with a Game Genie to use the Super Game Boy 2 (Japanese-only Super Game Boy with a Link Port).  Aside from the fact that this makes a monster Tower-of-Power (NOW, you're playing with it!), due to the fact that the Game Genie doesn't support FX chips and the SGB uses FX chips for sound... there's no sound coming from it.

And, finally, you can just donate me money!  (heh... it was worth a shot!)  This is an expensive little adventure - and, for example, I've got a person on CAG who can get me 2 additional copies of FB2K, but it's going to be about $30 after shipping... Quite a bit more that I want to spend (I'm *really* trying to keep the copies of the game under $10, because 15 copies of the game at $10 each means $150...)

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2007, 03:47:22 AM »
I for got to call the used game store my buddy owns Ill do that today and see if he has any copies of the game. regardless if GS has them cheap or not please do not ask me to go in there and deal with those evil people.
You can call me

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2007, 04:25:05 AM »
UncleBob, bad news, turns out I only have one GBBrick and GBPocket, so, 2 in all

Also, if I was staying in town on the weekend I could hook you up with SNESs for $3 a piece [I pay cheaper ], but if time isn't of the matter to you, I could get them next weekend.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2007, 05:05:23 AM »
I made a topic on my VGMaps.com forums about your dream, UncleBob.  If I remember at the next update I will make mention of it on the front page of VGMaps.com.  Don't know how much it'll help, but it's more exposure so it might increase your chances of this happening soon, if only by a wee bit.

EDIT: Do you have a PayPal account?  If people are only able to contribute money to the cause that would be a good thing to have if you haven't mentioned it already.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2007, 07:40:57 AM »
SSB - it's not bad news that you've only got two Game Boys, it's excellent news that you have two you're giving me!  Even more so since I can't find my old Game Boy Pocket.

I think one SNES at $3 would be perfectly fine.  I can hack it apart for the Japanese SGB2.  Time isn't too important, since I'm still working on getting the 16 copies of the game....

JL: Thanks for the mention, if I can get a few people who can hook me up with copies of the game, then that will be a big help.  As for PayPal... I have an account with them, but, unforutnatly, as I figured out when I tried my crazy money-making scheme with my Avatar, they charge out the wazoo for an account to take credit card payments.  If someone wants to PayPal a non-credit card donation to theunclebob@hotmail.com, I could use that to pay for some of my eBay purchases.

Thanks again.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2007, 07:45:33 AM »
Hey UncleBob,

Why don'tcha see if NWR will sponsor ya with some front page coverage.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2007, 07:51:52 AM »
Pale said he wants to do a story once I actually have the event.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2007, 09:31:59 AM »
I didn't realize the "acronym" for my username was the same as Super Smash Bros.   How awesome am I?

And I just also realized, I don't have to buy a SNES.  I have about 6 laying around the house [on top of the three I actually use].

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2007, 11:28:14 AM »
Sweet!  This is coming together quite well.  SSBen (heh), you're wonderful!

I need to update my thread above though, because I just got two more copies of FB2k!!!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2007, 01:27:15 AM »
*edit*

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2007, 12:28:09 PM »

And so it begins....

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2007, 04:26:45 AM »
Wow, so how much is left to get?  Or I guess I could read the above.

Considering you started this topic just six days ago this is pretty good progress, isn't it?

EDIT: I sent you $20 just now.  It should help, I hope.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2007, 07:21:21 AM »
Dude, seriously, that is so awesome!

As of now, if everything people are planning to ship me comes through, I'll only need the following:

Four more copies of FaceBall 2000.  I'm currently the high bidder on two copies of the game.
Three more GameBoy units.  Perferably, I have high hopes that I'll manage to get one of those Japanese-only Game Boy Lights (the only GameBy unit that would work for this that I don't have) and a second GameCube (I have one GameCube with a GameBoy Player and I have a second Game Boy Player, but no GameCube to go with it).

Jon - thank you for making this happen.  Between your's and Don's donations, it made a major dent in what I've spent out on this project.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get the rest of it together and get something arranged soon.

In addition to 16 Player FaceBall 2000, I have high hopes of having 10 DS's in the room for 10-Player Tetris DS (something else I've always wanted to do), some LAN Mario Kart: Double Dash and possibly 4-player SNES Bomberman and/or 5-player Wii Bomberman.

This could be the multiplayer event of the year for Carmi, Illinois.  Who's in?

*edit* I just got the other Four Player Adapter.  There was a pretty one that was New-In-Box, but I found one that was cheaper and came with two original style link cables, so I went with it.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2007, 08:36:25 AM »
Did you test the stuff NOW?

EDIT. Looking on eBay revealed a vinyl disc from a band called Faceball 2000... And I'm soooo tempted to bid on the one GB copy showing up for me but you've already bid on it...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2007, 08:38:37 AM »
I've tested the Game Boys and two copies of the game that I have, but I haven't tested all the link cables and four player adapters.  Don't worry, I *will* test them and make sure everything is working *before* I get everyone over...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2007, 03:18:03 PM »
Hot-diggity darn!  I've got two copies of the game in-hand right now.  I've bought and paid for 12 others.  And I've got bids in on the "final two".

Wow.  This is happening quite fast.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2007, 08:15:49 AM »
He is getting closer, so says the photo he emailed me!

:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2007, 12:57:41 PM »
I'm worried.

I've now got five copies of the game and I cannot seem to get them to link together in a Five Player game.  I've got e-mails out for support on this, but I've tried all kinds of combinations and can't seem to get anything to work for five players.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2007, 01:24:24 PM »
Maybe you can't have any empty spots on the four-player adapters?  Just a totally random guess.  If that was the case then six should work, since two of the eight slots are used to link the adapters together, right?

It would really suck if you found out that sixteen-player only worked in theory but they shipped the game when it wasn't actually possible - yet no one ever noticed.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2007, 01:55:53 PM »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2007, 05:07:59 PM »
Wait a sec... how does Pay Pal work if you can't take credit cards? Do I have to add funds via my bank account first, then transfer those funds to you???

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2007, 06:25:08 PM »
The way I understood it the 4 player adapters cannot be used to get a 16 player network set up, the 16 player thing worked in their dev environment but the necessary hardware wasn't sold...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2007, 12:52:47 AM »
Karion: yeah, I believe that's how it works...

KDR: I'm beginning to believe that may be the case...

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2007, 01:23:04 AM »
Oh man.... what a let down if that's the case.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2007, 02:01:55 AM »
It's supposed to work...

The logistics of the setup necessary to take advantage of 16-sided play were so demanding as to make a full Four Swords ensemble seem like nothing: sixteen players, sixteen Game Boys, sixteen copies of FaceBall, a handful of daisy-chained four-player link cables, and enough AA batteries to sustain a small city through a rolling blackout.

What am I doing wrong?

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2007, 04:22:44 AM »
Well, how does multiplayer work?  Are there modes for any number up to 16 players, or is it like, single player/two-player/four-player/sixteen-player without any of the numbers in between?  If the latter, maybe you can't do any more then four-player until you get a full sixteen...

I'm just guessing again.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2007, 05:06:12 AM »
CRAP.

I have something that might be working... but I'm not certian.  I really need a 5th GBA to test this out though...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2007, 05:55:43 AM »
Current Testing Situation:

I am just unable to get the original Game Boy Four player adatpers to work (with the five game paks I have now).

When using the Four Player adapter for Four Players, the title screen looks like this:

Notice the number 4 in the box on the bottom right?  That's telling you how many players you have connected.  It doesn't appear when you're just using two GB's with one link cable.

Plugging a second FPA into the first one, in either of the three ports doesn't allow me to do anything useful.... So I did some Google seaching and came across something that interested me.

It was a post right here on Nintendo World Report forums.

By me.

Go ahead and take a second to read the initial post in this thread.  Don't worry... I'll wait.....

Well, as you can see, for F1 Race, this particular linking method failed.  Miserably.  F1 Race simply would *not* recognize linked units with GBA Link cables...

...But what if FaceBall 2000 did?

Here is four GBAs, linked together in a hearty chain of love.

Booting up the units, you get:

Nothing.  You'll notice there is no box saying how many players are connected, like when using the FPA.

Except, when starting the game...

"4 Players Ready" - just like it says when you start the game with the FPA.

Unfortunatly, I only have four GBA units - and thus cannot test this with a 5th one (also, I only have four GBA link cables, I'd need another one of those)... but something tells me this is the route I want to take to make this work...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2007, 06:57:46 AM »
Courage um, ...Richard. Ulysses' Odyssey was not an easy journey either.  

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2007, 08:09:43 AM »
Sweetness...
ShyGuy says your going to meet Sirens.
This is going to sound weird but I wonder what would happen if you called the manufacturer/developer and asked for help on configuration.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2007, 08:16:12 AM »
Hey, maybe they'll send you their one-and-only-Faceball-2000-specific-multi-link adapter with 16 built-in GB Link Cable ends (with 16 ends, maybe it'll look like two tarantulas on top of each other for some reason) which they did testing of the game on, since they have no use for it any longer and you're the only person in history other than them to even attempt accomplish to this.

Yeah, right.  :P  But it would be funny if they did send you something like that.

Though I'm arachnophobic and if I wasn't too freaked out by the sight, I'd smash anything that looks like two tarantulas on top of each other because I certainly don't want more tarantulas in the world.

This post took an odd turn.  :/

It's probably been said but I think you could tour with gaming conventions since too few people in the world have, or could ever, experience 16-player Faceball 2000.  It would probably look best if you had 16 yellow Game Boy Pockets, official GB Link Cables, and a platformesque structure to arrange all sixteen Game Boys in a fixed circle thing.  And staff with yellow happy face T-shirts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2007, 09:36:01 AM »
I've got e-mails out to try to find out what I can do...

It's interesting how odd of a turn this took.  First, we thought it'd be hard to find 16 copies of the game but the systems would be the hard part.  Now, it turns out that the game was pretty easy to get, but it's the systems that might cause me problems...

Well, worst case, I found a use for the games...

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2007, 09:49:07 AM »
Systems won't be a problem; if you find sixteen players chances are you're got at least that many systems (if not double that number).  The problem is coming up with the systems before coming up with the players.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2007, 06:17:59 AM »
As interesting as it would be to get every Game Boy that SHOULD be compatible, maybe your best bet is to get 16 of one particular Game Boy type.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2007, 07:38:38 AM »
Although I'm not sure who would at this point, for any doubters out there:

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2007, 07:56:33 AM »
That's an obvious Photoshop

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2007, 11:20:13 AM »
GAH!!! SOMEONE OUT BID ME ON THE LAST COPY I NEEDED!!!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2007, 06:03:59 PM »
And it wasn't me :sad;

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2007, 09:29:12 AM »
It works, it works!  Whoo!  It works!  I'll post more info when I get home, but I gotta go paint now.

Also, I got my 16th copy today - found it at a used game store.

*EDIT* - I'm done with painting for today.  Actually, we didn't do a lick of painting - just stripping.  It's hell.

Anywhoo, I was able to test the game with five GBA units, linked together as shown above (except with two more GBASPs, one less GameBoy Player, and one more Cable).

This, of course, means my next step is to get more GBA cables...

Also, I got my NES Top Loader that I've wanted forever.  It didn't come with Dogbone controllers, but, hey... beggars can't be choosers, eh?  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2007, 03:40:55 AM »
SUCCESS! (again)!

I was thinking more about this and came up with a plan...

I took a pocket knife and cut off the little tab that prevents the GBA link cable from going into a GameBoy Pocket.

Voila!  "5 Players Ready".  This was done with two GBAs, 1 GBASP, 1 GameBoy Player and one GBC.

The down side is that, using this method, the cable is rather loose in the GBC... thus, I will still need to have the cables modified.

The upside is that I was able to confirm that this will work using my planned method with my planned Game Boys!  Whoo!

Offline Unca Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2007, 02:20:28 PM »
Bob:

I run the original Midimaze on Atari STs at Con of the North, which you know because you asked about it.  I thought we could move our conversation about all this to this forum...

First off:  I am truly glad to find a kindred spirit.  Midimaze (or Faceball) is a game which people love with the heat of 1000 suns.  It doesn't matter if it's beautiful, it 's just so fun to play!  Sure, there are a million cooler FPS games out there, but none of them tell you to have a nice day and none of them smile at your demise in quite the same way.

I know the sorrow of hardware accumulation, and I'd be happy to donate to your cause.  I have a few GBAs which have seen a lot of use but still work that I could send you.  I'd also recommend rechargeable batteries and will happily donate 8 NiMH AAs and a charger.  Let me know if that would help...

Also:  I extend to you a hearty welcome to Con of the North to see what you're getting yourself in for.  I will take care of your registration to the convention and try to hook you up with a hotel if you want to come up for it.  If you can get your project operational by mid-February, we could get you some space in the Midizone to play...otherwise just come play it on the 16 original Atari STs we'll have set up.  We run a multitude of tournaments and events all weekend and set up Thursday night.

This project is truly awesome and it must happen!  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2007, 04:09:59 PM »
Dude... wow.

One thing at a time though... As for donated GBAs... yeah!  Even if I get everything running with the units I have (and the ones being donated already), I'm still 3 short (2 if I manage to score me a cheap GameCube)...  Batteries are nice, but expensive to mail due to their weight... If you really want to, I won't complain... If you'd like something to cover shipping costs, let me know.  

As for going to the CotN... that'd be pretty cool.  I'm not 100% sure I could swing it...  I'll have to look into a few things, but the wife and I just bought a house...  The St. Paul is only about an 11 hour drive, which isn't too bad - but I'd be looking at five days or so off from work - although, I guess I wouldn't have to stay for the entire convention. ($300 each plane tickets are out of the question... do you know how much house insurance is? )  Let me play with some bills and look at what kind of vacation days I have coming... I would *love* to go to something like this and, perhaps, this could help take care of the problem of finding 16 players interested in getting together to play a 15 year old Game Boy game.

Wow... I'm amazed that such an offer would even come up...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2007, 06:04:18 PM »
Wow, this thing is starting to snowball.

Offline Unca Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2007, 12:52:56 AM »
Well, to assist you in your decision here's a link to our website.

I don't know if you're a card/board/roleplaying gamer or not, but the hotel is nice and there's plenty to do in the Twin Cities.  While you're checking out the site, you can look over most of the events we will be running.

There will also be a PC LAN gaming room, a multi-player internet game called Crossfire, as well as a vendor room and open gaming.  If your wife is interested in events, I could cover her registration as well.  

As I said before, I'll be happy to try to coordinate sleeping space for you and your wife if you're interested in coming.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2007, 09:58:31 AM »
um unclebob, does this mean your no longer interested in my sponsorship?  
You can call me

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2007, 10:19:23 AM »
Man, that invitation makes the $20 I donated to the cause seem so piddly.  :/

I know (as I've said, and so have others) that this set-up will be worth it if it's appreciated at gaming conventions.  Looks like it may happen...if you go, that is.  At least you know there's a venue for that kind of thing (specifically, even!) and your efforts will never have gone to waste.  Awesome.

What do you have left to get before the maiden voyage?  Or maiden...shootout?  Or whatever?  Do you have all 16 Game Paks yet?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2007, 02:23:19 PM »
Rat: at this point, I don't think I'll be doing anything with sponsorship - I'm not certian it'd be right with all those who have donated...

Jon: As for what I need, I badly, badly at this point need 6 or so GBA link cables.  The must be first party branded cables - I fear off brand cables may end up with different results.  I've been ordering them on eBay, but they're kinda hard to find.  If anyone wants to help me find, it'd be a great help.  EBGames/GameStop sells them for $1.99 used, but, unfortunatly, there are none near me.  You can see if your local store has them in stock here: http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=900468

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2007, 05:18:03 PM »
thats cool. I really hope this works out for you anyways.  
You can call me

Offline Parody

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2007, 04:27:32 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
I would *love* to go to something like this and, perhaps, this could help take care of the problem of finding 16 players interested in getting together to play a 15 year old Game Boy game. ;)

I know I'd be willing to play if you can make it up to Con of the North.  I played it years ago and always wanted to try multiplayer.  Never got the chance since someone borrowed my cartridge and never returned it. :(
Michael Miller
ESG Labs

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2007, 01:36:46 AM »
It's probably one of them I bought off eBay... Your initials wouldn't happen to be DB, would they?

Offline Unca Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2007, 04:14:10 AM »
I just got my very own copy of Faceball!  Whoo Hoo!

Anyway, I still haven't gotten the package of stuff to send you together.  You did still want donations, right?

For sure:
8 AA Nimh batteries
Quick charger for same
at least one Game Boy Advance

At least one of the following:
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Classic
Another Game Boy Advance

Did you want me to pick up registrations for Con of the North for you and your wife?  The pre-registration deadline has recently passed, but if I get them in soon I save a bunch...and you two can register for any events you might want.  Again, if you are coming up I can help you find hotel or house sleeping space as well.

I'm not trying to bug you about it or anything, I know how marital decision goes.  It's just fine if you can't make it, I'll still donate to the mad science project.

Oh, I can get old metal A/V carts for free at work to roll crap around on which might be fun.  Mobile gaming experience!  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2007, 03:40:10 PM »
Oh yes, I'm still taking donations... I'm still short a few Game Boys.

As for the convention, I'd love to go, but I just really don't think I'll be able to make it... It's slightly possible that I might have been able to get up there for the event, but the cables I need are going to have to be hand made, and I'm not certian it's going to be possible for me to get the cables I need collected, shipped out, modified and returned to me in time...

Perhaps next year?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2007, 12:23:11 PM »

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2007, 01:42:30 AM »
Eight?  *yawn*

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2007, 02:45:02 AM »
It's all I can do right now.

Offline Unca Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2007, 04:02:23 AM »
No worries about coming up to Con of the North in February, I just though it would be fun if you could make it.  

If you'd like me to, I can put you on the mailing list so you get an events program book and Judge materials for 2008 so you'll have a little more time to plan.

I saw your address earlier, is that OK for packages?  I might be sending you a bunch of Gameboy Colors with the other stuff.  As we are off for a short vacation at the end of the month, I will get that out this coming week.

What kind of cables do you need?  Will the 4-player hubs I see all over the internet work for you?

Anyway, if you want on the mailing list, please email me with your full name and address.  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2007, 06:00:36 AM »
Yes, do add me to the list for next year... I have high hopes of being able to go!

I've changed the address above to my new mailing address.  As I said, we just bought a house... I'm still getting mail at the old address for about two more weeks along with mail at the new address.

As for the cables that I need, I've got them either in-hand (or coming soon in the mail) - they're the official Nintendo-branded GBA Link cables... but the issue is that, of course, these cables don't fit into any of the older GameBoys... and since getting 16 GBA's is out of the question (and, quite simply, not as cool), I've got to have Troz ("my cable guy")  do some custom work on them.

In theory, I can get the cables to work using the quick method I posted above, but, unfortunatly, the cables are too loose in the link port and I fear it'd be too unstable to actually play using this method... So, at this point, I'm waiting to get the last shipments of eBay'd GBA cables in hand so I can mail 'em to Troz and have him get the custom cables made for me.  Also, I'm still waiting for any additional GameBoys to come in the mail and the SNES that is coming - I can't seem to get the Super Game Boy 2 to work with this method so far and I'm hoping that, removing the Game Genie from the equation will make it a bit more reliable...

BTW: to save you time from going back through the old posts for my new address, I'll go ahead and post it here... All mailings can be sent to UncleBob/129 11th Street/Carmi, IL 62821

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2007, 06:09:10 AM »
What's with the week and a half of silence here?

Offline Unca Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2007, 03:54:19 AM »
I've been on vacation and I've got a convention to get ready for!

I will be sending my care package soon...

I now have three copies of the game, but I can't get it to network.  

Offline Parody

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2007, 02:31:27 PM »

It's probably one of them I bought off eBay... Your initials wouldn't happen to be DB, would they?

No.  If it had any markings it'd have a diamond quartered by a cross on the back, similar to the logo on my website.
Michael Miller
ESG Labs

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2007, 03:29:01 PM »
what happend to Uncle bob he hasnt been around much lately has he?
You can call me

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2007, 06:26:30 AM »
He and his wife just recently moved; I assume he's either busy or doesn't yet have an Internet connection.  I remember he was complaining about posting to the forums from his phone a while ago.

You can always call him and ask.  

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2007, 09:09:22 AM »
well thats forgivable I guess. as long as nothing happened to him. As long as he doesnt bring back that mannipple when he returns.  
You can call me

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2007, 08:38:10 AM »
When did he move?  I sent him a GBC a few weeks ago (est time was 4-6 weeks with Canada post).  I hope it doesn't get lost if he moved since I sent it!
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2007, 09:02:48 AM »

Originally posted by: ryancoke
When did he move?
They took possession of the house on January 7, 2007; I'm not sure when they moved in.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2007, 09:23:04 AM »
I hope he's having his mail forwarded!
My Wii Code:

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2007, 02:22:05 AM »
Now that UncleBob is back, what's the lowdown on this 16-player showdown?

Offline Unca Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2007, 02:45:04 PM »
So, where is Uncle Bob?

I want to discuss my care package and other issues with him, but no dice...

As we say around here: Nothing but tumbleweeds and crickets.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2007, 03:12:32 PM »
I found him a GameBoy Light :3

Offline Unca Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2007, 01:59:29 AM »
So I'm seriously wondering what happened with the project.  

I guess I'll send him stuff next week, but I have no idea what he needs so I know he won't need some of it.

And I still can't get my ring to work.

Sigh.  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2007, 09:17:55 AM »
Gimme a few mins and let me dig that box out and I'll post some stuff.

...box found, pics taken.  Transferring pics to computer....
...pics transferred, resized. Transferring pics to PhotoBucket now...
...pics uploaded to PhotoBucket.  Next post will contain inventory...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2007, 10:05:57 AM »
Okay!  Thanks for sticking with me folks... Sorry I've negelected to mess with this, but sometimes life gets in the way, as they say. (Actually, I've been too busy goofing off with other things... )

Anywhoo, here's my current... collection of FaceBall 2000 related goodness...

So, I've got:
    15 copies of FaceBall 2000.
    11 Official Nintendo Game Boy Advance Link Cables
    9 compatible Game Boys that will work.
    1 compatible Game Boy that should work but doesn't seem to.

And the stuff I need:
    1 more copy of FaceBall 2000.  I had all 16, but one of them never shipped (got my money back on it though)
    5 more Official Nintendo Game Boy Advance Link Cables.  It's possible third-party cables would work, but they're hit-and-miss, so I'm only purchasing the real deal.  I ordered six from some guy on eBay, but they've never showed up and he's never responded to my e-mails.  Still trying to get my money back there.
    As for the one compatible Game Boy that I have that doesn't seem to work - that's the Super Game Boy 2.  I'm hoping that it will work once I get the well-used-but-working SNES from sgtshiversben that I'll be able to use without the Game Genie.
    I have a Game Boy Light that Super is sending me (at some point) from Japan that I've got to pay him for (once he gets me the shipping costs )
    sgtshiversben was also planning to send me two well-used older Game Boys.
    So, assuming that ssb and Super get me the goods and they work (and the SGB2 works without the GameGenie), I'll need 3 more Game Boys of some kind.
    Also, I do have a 2nd GameBoy Player that I could, in theory, hook up to a second GameCube, if/when I finally break down and get one... but I doubt that'll be before this happens.

...Inventory posted.  Instructions coming up...  

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2007, 10:11:22 AM »
The orange candy.  How do they play in to the game?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2007, 10:14:32 AM »
Okay, how to make this all work.  First thing you'll need is one copy of FaceBall 2000 for every Player, one compatible Game Boy for every player and one official Nintendo Game Boy Advance Link cable for every player.  The official cables aren't too hard to find if you're willing to pay for 'em:

Okay, so you got the goods.  The first step, put the 1 Game Pak into each Game Boy unit.  Second, put the grey end of the Official Nintendo Game Boy Advance Link Cable into the link port on the first Game Boy you're using.  If you're using an older Game Boy, the cable will require some unauthorized modification to fit the link port:

Now, grab another cable and plug the purple end of the first cable into the center box on the second cable:

Take the grey end of the second cable and plug it into the second Game Boy unit.  Now, grab a third cable and plug the purple end of the second cable into the center box on the third cable - and plug the grey end of the third cable into the third Game Boy unit.  Repeat this process for as many players as you plan to have.  Once you reach the end, plug the purple end of the final cable into the center box of the very first cable - so you'll end up with a circle (or, in the case of this picture, a Triangle)...

Turn 'em all on and you should be ready to go.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2007, 10:16:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
The orange candy.  How do they play in to the game?

Winner gets to eat one?  I love peach gummy rings....

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2007, 12:14:05 PM »
Peach?  I was sure they were orange.

Offline Unca Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2007, 11:38:50 AM »
So, if you'd email me at Jabeecher *AT* Netzero *DOT* net your current and correct address I will send you:

Three Gameboy Colors, one Gameboy Pocket, and one old-school Green Brick Gameboy.  

I'll also put you in the Con of the North database as a GM so you can get here next year.

Further, once I get my greazy mitts on enough original link cables, I will post pictures of the crazed first-graders in my class playing my four copies on my Gameboy Advances.  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2007, 12:05:07 PM »
If you're just going to do four copies, you could just get a four player adapter and some original link cables...

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2007, 09:17:39 AM »
Unclebob, that puke green gameboy I shipped ya sure stands out in that pic above  
I wonder why Nintendo even made a gameboy in that nasty color?
My Wii Code:

Offline Unca Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2007, 03:42:05 AM »
Well crap.

Tell you what, I have a couple of the original cables you apparently need more than I do.  They are a bitch to find and cost the world, so if I could use another cable I'd rather do that.  Do you have the other cable I could use instead?  I'll be happy to trade you what i have...

I sent the other stuff already, so you should get it next week.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2007, 02:59:35 PM »
Well, I guess I made it sound easier than it really is...

You'd need a 4-Player hub and you'd have to custom modify the end of the cable into something that's GBA compatible, then you'd need three Universal Game Link Cables (or generic version of such)...  I could send you a hub and four of those generic cables that I got the case of 20 of if you wanted to do the custom cable work to put the GameBoy Pocket end on the 4-Player adapter...

Offline Unca Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2007, 04:26:59 AM »
Tell you what, if you send me the hub and cables (with instructions on how to modify and use it), I'll send you the two original link cables I will soon have to help with your project.  I can probably rustle up another copy of Faceball if you need that as well.

Also, I remember promising you some rechargable batteries and a charger, but I forgot to send them in my first care package.  Durnt!

I can send you those with the cables when they arrive.  

Sound good?    

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2007, 04:32:18 AM »
I can send you the cables and the hub, but I'll have to put you in contact with Troz on how to splice one of the cables with the hub..
I actually just won an auction for the last copy of FaceBall that I needed - hopefully it'll come in the mail soon.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2007, 10:51:32 AM »
Unca Jim, I got your care package today!

So, here's what I need still:

Five official Nintendo-Branded Game Boy Advance Link Cables.
One copy of FaceBall 2000 (hopefully coming from eBay soon).
One Game Boy Light (hopefully coming from Japan soon).
One SNES (hopefully coming from sgtshiversben soon - has anyone seen him lately?  Is he okay?).

Offline Unca Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2007, 01:40:28 PM »
I'm glad you got them!  

I can send you one link cable, as my other one fell through.

I can also send you the batteries and charger I promised as well...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2007, 01:41:07 AM »
Well, Unca Jim - hang on to those cables because.... Hot-Damn, I've got it all!

I have the 16th copy of FaceBall 2000 on it's way!
I have replacement battery covers on their way!
I have the other five Link Cables on their way!

Hopefully, sgtshiversben and Super have their goodies on their way...

Because that's every single item I need (assuming it all comes...)

Whoo!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2007, 04:34:48 AM »
The dream is coming alive.  Now do you have 16 playas?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2007, 02:30:30 PM »
lol........ Nope... I don't even have 15 other friends.

vudu - you still willing to come down?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2007, 03:01:14 PM »
Wow, dreams really do come true.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2007, 06:35:23 AM »
Got mail today...

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2007, 06:45:39 PM »
Is that the red foot in the second photo?  
Thanks for listening.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2007, 02:30:29 AM »
Yeah, it's my wife's foot in a red fuzzy sock...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2007, 04:03:25 AM »

Now from that red foot partial picture we will reconstruct UncleBob's wife for the Internet to behold AuntBob.  
Well if this was TV it would work.

UncleBob considering where you at I be willing to come and play.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2007, 05:42:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric

Now from that red foot partial picture we will reconstruct UncleBob's wife for the Internet to behold AuntBob.

So, Ceric, where do you live at, anyway?

For anyone interested, this will take place in (or near) Carmi, Illinois.  If you're interested, let me know.

Chances are, this'll take place on a Saturday.  It's still a little ways off from happening though, as I'm still waiting on a few things to come in and I'll still have to send the cables out to be fixed....

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2007, 10:29:36 AM »
I live in Tennessee. Lets see... according to Google Maps I live ~4 Hours away.  Not to bad at all.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2007, 11:45:50 AM »

lol........ Nope... I don't even have 15 other friends.

This is like that Twilight Zone episode where the book-lover gets the time to read as much as he wants, and then breaks his glasses.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2007, 12:54:11 PM »
If I wasn't so far away as I am in Toronto, I would so be there. Good luck with the project.  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »

Offline Unca Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2007, 12:14:03 PM »
Great!  Really glad to see it all come together, hope all the junk I sent helped.

I'll keep the cable then...do you need the batteries and the charger?

Keep us posted!

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2007, 12:26:05 PM »
I would be willing to come if you would be willing to let me get pictures and videos for my *brand new* and much better looking website.
You can call me

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2007, 01:03:27 PM »
Just a quick note, I have *not* forgotten about this.  Still plan to do it.  Just... err... got sidetracked?

Super - how's that one thing coming?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2007, 06:54:07 PM »
Resurrection!  Super should be on his way of helping me out with the thing he's helping me with.  First test batch of cables is going to my custom cable maker, Troz from the CAG boards (he's the awesome guy who created the neat-o Game Boy micro to Game Cube cable).

Things are back in play on this event!  Now if only I could gather $650 for the one item I don't need, but love to have for this... a Panasonic Q with Game Boy Player...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2008, 01:05:01 AM »
Whoo!  It's been a long time, eh?

I did get the present from Super, as mentioned in das funhouse (Game Boy Light).  Still don't have a Panasonic Q with Game Boy Player, a WideBoy 64 (found a guy selling one for $88+Shipping from UK, but that seems a little much.  Not really, as the WideBoy is hard to come by, but considering I'd use it once...) or this... (who wants to buy that for me?  and pick it up, since it's so heavy and in Ohio?)

Anywhoo, Troz, the awesome Cable Guy (not the lame one from the movie) sent me this e-mail that makes me giddy.

Alright, here's the current status:

11 cables FINISHED!  The final remaining cable...well, one of the GBA
link cables was a 3rd party cable which I would have to destroy to get
inside.  I'll poke around the local Gamestops this week to see if I can
pickup one on the cheap so you don't have to ship one out to me.  I know
I had one myself, and would use it, but I can't find it anywhere of course.

I've got a 4 player game running successfully.  I have a 5th Gameboy
(Color) that I'm borrowing but I think the link port is dead as I can't
get it to register with anything, thus I've been unable to go beyond 4.  
The successful 4 player game was with a GBA, GBA SP, Gameboy Player, and
Gameboy Pocket.

So... soon, it'll be on like Donkey Kong.  Except, instead of giant apes throwing barrels, it'll be giant smiley faces shooting.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2008, 06:53:52 PM »
Hmm... it says I'd be about 9 hours away. You know, I still might be up for it if it means I'd get a chance to meet a bunch of you fine people.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2008, 09:17:03 AM »
The only other person who's talked about coming for the "event" is vudu.  I've tried talking Pale into coming, but I don't think that's going well.

It's gonna be fun though.  I wonder if I can tie it in with the release of Brawl and have people down for this.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2008, 09:29:25 AM »
You should bring it all to PAX and have a faceball tourney there