Author Topic: ESRB Gives Rating to Guitar Hero: Modern Hits  (Read 8208 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Re: ESRB Gives Rating to Guitar Hero: Modern Hits
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »
It reminds me of a bit from Seinfeld, how old people ride out the best era of their lives (clothes-wise) to the very end. It applies to music and videogames too. Don't believe me, just give it a few years
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 02:56:49 PM »
Modern music is largely mediocre, and people trying to claim that mediocre and uninspired bands like Maroon 5 or Nickleback are "terrible" or "offensive" are just being drama queens.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 04:23:09 PM »
One of the radio stations up here plays "classic rock," which most people take to mean oldies, but we already have an oldies station. The classic rock station plays largely ROCK songs, like AC/DC, Metallica, etc. Well, one time they played "Enter Sandman" and followed it up with "Stacy's Mom."

"Stacy's Mom" is not a terrible song, but I laughed at the sheer ridiculousness of the pairing.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 04:38:52 PM »
This conversation reminds me, I need to add "The 2000s" to my list of "decades that are considered by some to be devoid of musical merit." The list currently includes the 80s, the 70s, and the 90s.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 04:49:30 PM »
Hey now, the 70's and 80's were awesome for different reasons. 70's is when rock really started to take off, and the 80's was the decade of experimentation, niche partitioning, and the second British Invasion.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 04:52:55 PM »
And not a word on a good NEW band i tried to turn Ian on to.

I'm at work right now so I can't listen to them right now.  I'll try to remember when I get home.

Do you like anything new?  It seems to me that you're not happy with the way your life turned out so you hate everything made after you turned 16.  You can't continue to relive your childhood by hating on everything that's come out since.

Tons of great movies are released every year.  For a brief while there wasn't much on TV I was interested in as the reality shows really started taking over but then in the last few years new shows have come out that I follow every week.  I still buy videogames on a regular basis and enjoy them, just not as frequently as before.

Modern music is largely mediocre, and people trying to claim that mediocre and uninspired bands like Maroon 5 or Nickleback are "terrible" or "offensive" are just being drama queens.

Why put up with mediocre?  I don't listen to mediocre acts from the other decades, so why would I make an exception for this one?

A 2000's band that's really good?  The Organ.  They broke up though after only one album and one EP.  Damn shame because Memorize the City is one of the best songs I've ever heard.  They certainly had tons of potential.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 05:44:34 PM »
I've gotten used to the fact that Ian dramatically overemphasises his arguments into useless hyperboles whenever he wants to make a point.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 06:08:34 PM »
I'd rather be single than date a fat girl

This says a whole lot about you right there, Ian.

yeah.. beggers can't be choosers buddy.

We were like three months into 2000 and I was already declaring this decade to be musically worthless. ;)

Do you like anything new?  It seems to me that you're not happy with the way your life turned out so you hate everything made after you turned 16.  You can't continue to relive your childhood by hating on everything that's come out since.

Ian has 1985 Syndrome

Also he's a racist. I knew I shouldn't of posted that pic.

Just playing Ian we loveto hate you. Things would be lame without you around.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2009, 05:44:38 PM »
We're posting music videos from youtube and discussing 2000s rock in this thread?  And to think I thought it would be hard to work this into conversation when I got back from vacation.

The Darkness.  I Believe in a Thing Called Love.  2003.  Really.  And yes, that's a giant enemy crab.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2009, 05:50:28 PM »
We're posting music videos from youtube and discussing 2000s rock in this thread?  And to think I thought it would be hard to work this into conversation when I got back from vacation.

The Darkness.  I Believe in a Thing Called Love.  2003.  Really.  And yes, that's a giant enemy crab.

No... just no

I had a burned copy of their cd, it was ok as long as i kept pretending they weren't a 'serious' band

Oh and update, via PM Ian admits liking a NEW band (bloc party, the ones i linked to) so hoorah! There is some light at the end of the tunnel afterall.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 07:33:50 PM »
Incidentally, that song is in Guitar Hero On Tour Decades. It's also one of the most fun songs to sing in the Karaoke Revolution series.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 08:06:12 PM »
Great song. I was hoping that The Darkness would achieve some level of popularity, because--and I might get roasted for this--they might be the closest thing to Queen we've gotten since Freddy died.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 12:38:10 PM »
Yeah The Darkness was quite good.  Not good enough that I would go to a concert of their's or anything but I liked the hits off that first album.  It bothered me though that the rockiest band I had heard in years was kind of a joke band.