Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 410629 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #1100 on: November 04, 2013, 09:39:30 PM »
To be honest, I never understood the praise of Rare either.

I can can count the GREAT Rare games on one had.

The rest were above average, and some were overrated.  That being said.  I do believe Rare was successful because they had talented people and Nintendo helping them.  Nintendo oversight can help any developer...which is also why Retro is so good as well.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: November 04, 2013, 10:32:37 PM »
Does it have split-screen local multiplayer? Or at least two-player support w/ the gamepad?

What were the multiplayer options with BLOPS 2? Split-screen local? Gamepad local multi? split-screen/gamepad online multi?
Yes to all of those. They also had mode where one player can play entirely on TV and the other one plays on Gamepad screen.

Plus usual for Nintendo platform wiimote pointer controls support. Also known as the only FPS control method on consoles.

Call of Duty games on Nintendo consoles were always surprisingly fully featured. Treyarch always went above and beyond trying to fit COD "experience" into Wii, and now -- Wii U.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: November 04, 2013, 10:39:58 PM »
Retro's games tend to receive wider acclaim so really it's quality vs quantity.
I don't know, I just looked up some scores for games from Retro and Rare and they're pretty much the same. Retro may be quality over quantity, but Rare was quality and quantity. The non-Japanese thing is a good point, since Nintendo don't have very many of those... or maybe just Retro, I'm actually not sure. But I believe Retro is American and Rare were British, so they're still different.

Then again, I s'pose with Retro making a second Donkey Kong Country game, they're getting some more similarities with Rare in the kinds of games they make... although I heard these comparisons even before the first DKCR was shown. Metroid Prime doesn't seem like the kind of game Rare would make.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 04, 2013, 11:10:38 PM »
Modern CODBLOPS 4 Ghosts is supposed to be pretty good on Wii U.

yeah, the last several notable Wii U third party games have had good performance. I gues they studios have figured out how to optimize for the Wii U, or maybe the Nintendo toolset has improved.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1104 on: November 05, 2013, 01:07:35 AM »
Probably a little of both.  Nintendo has been trying to get a varied and commonly used tool sets for their developers.  Nintendo really is trying to make publishing for them as easy and cost effective as possible.

I think Nintendo realizes that the development costs and risks are something all publishers are looking at when deciding their projects. 

I think after this holiday season we will see where Nintendo stands, and if they have a larger market...developers will take the risks. 

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: November 05, 2013, 01:26:01 AM »
It may also be easier for PS360 title to be ported to another HD console like the Wii U. As development stop working on PS360 they could drop U support. I hope not but it depends oon the gap between U and PSBone hardware.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: November 18, 2013, 07:55:22 AM »
Interesting conversation in Karaoke MiiVerse dev room.

After we blew about 200$ in karaoke bar this saturday night, i was thinking about Karaoke U.

But it would require me to get microphone or something so eh...

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: November 19, 2013, 06:28:05 AM »
True system seller is coming guys:

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: November 19, 2013, 09:15:58 AM »
*Makes "veering through periscope" motion*
*Makes "finger missile"*
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: December 23, 2013, 05:33:58 PM »
2014 is around the corner, time to kick the rumor mill into gear!

Minecraft coming to Wii U in 2014.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/article/minecraft-wii-u/

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: December 23, 2013, 07:09:46 PM »
I would consider buying it. I loved the PC version and with pointer controls it would be an easier way to get multiplayer rolling. The appeal would be there for the age group the Nintendo/Wii/3DS go for primarily (Angry Birds Generation Tweens/Teens) that seem to really like Minecraft.

I was considering getting the PC version as a gift for my sister but the multiplayer hurdles have held me back.
My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: December 23, 2013, 09:54:07 PM »
Meh.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: December 24, 2013, 01:18:41 AM »
I'm not too familiar with how Minecraft works as I've never been too crazy over the look of the game to warrant a more in depth look.  My assumption of it is that it lets you create your own worlds or games, something to that affect.  A release on the WiiU would be perfect simply because the gamepad lends itself nicely to these menu driven games.  My only concern would be that it seems to be releasing around the same time roughly as Project Spark (though only releasing for Xbone and Windows 8 ).  From what I've seen of Project Spark, it makes Minecraft look ancient in comparison.  Now this could be my ignorance on what Minecraft really is but I'm currently a lot more excited for what Project Spark has the potential to provide in the coming future. 

As this will be the only game of its type on a Nintendo platform, it is still a solid release though.  Quality releases from 3rd parties are few and far between for Nintendo so you take as many as you can. 

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: December 24, 2013, 01:30:36 AM »
Wii U was sold out at my local Walmart that I was just at (as was PS4, plenty of Xbox One consoles in stock), I found that surprising. Haven't seen any empty Wii U shelves since last December...maybe things will pick up.

Offline RedBlue

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: December 24, 2013, 01:35:29 AM »
My local Target only had one copy left of Super Mario 3D world.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: December 24, 2013, 03:23:50 AM »
It's the holidays. Parents go out and buy 'that game system my kid is screaming about'. I'll bet a lot are left to the suggestions of the employees. Also, if reports of scarce XBones and PS4s are true, then parents who were willing to buy a game system for their kids would just grab a Wii U instead of nothing for Christmas. It does have the latest CODs plus other games like Arkham Origins along with the always popular Mario.

As for whether or not this will help the U in the coming year is yet to be seen. Hopefully it is the start of their upswing.
My Game Collection

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 24, 2013, 03:38:55 AM »
The Wii U is expected to sell twenty five million units over its life time.

Edit: For some reason I am unable to post links, but this article can be found at Destructoid.com.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:46:14 AM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 24, 2013, 09:08:07 AM »
I'm not too familiar with how Minecraft works as I've never been too crazy over the look of the game to warrant a more in depth look.  My assumption of it is that it lets you create your own worlds or games, something to that affect.  A release on the WiiU would be perfect simply because the gamepad lends itself nicely to these menu driven games.  My only concern would be that it seems to be releasing around the same time roughly as Project Spark (though only releasing for Xbone and Windows 8 ).  From what I've seen of Project Spark, it makes Minecraft look ancient in comparison.  Now this could be my ignorance on what Minecraft really is but I'm currently a lot more excited for what Project Spark has the potential to provide in the coming future. 

As this will be the only game of its type on a Nintendo platform, it is still a solid release though.  Quality releases from 3rd parties are few and far between for Nintendo so you take as many as you can.

They're two completly different things. Minecraft is 3D Lego's while Project Spark is similar to LBP or Kodu. Nt sure if having the game will help Nintendo. By the time it comes to the Wii U it will be one every console both last gen and next gen at that point.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 24, 2013, 01:24:23 PM »
It's the holidays. Parents go out and buy 'that game system my kid is screaming about'. I'll bet a lot are left to the suggestions of the employees. Also, if reports of scarce XBones and PS4s are true, then parents who were willing to buy a game system for their kids would just grab a Wii U instead of nothing for Christmas. It does have the latest CODs plus other games like Arkham Origins along with the always popular Mario.

As for whether or not this will help the U in the coming year is yet to be seen. Hopefully it is the start of their upswing.

It also helps Nintendo has finally started advertising the system as well.  I've seen more Wii U ads in December then the rest of the year combined. 
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 24, 2013, 02:48:37 PM »
Buried in this RedBull fluff piece on Project CARS is the news that not only is the game still on tap for a Wii U release (over PS360 who won't get the game,phew!), but there's actual evidence of a developer saying good things about the Wii U.
http://www.redbull.com/us/en/games/stories/1331625870374/project-cars-the-ultimate-racing-game

There’s no realistic racing game on the Wii U currently yet, and we hear the fans crying out for one. Project CARS provides a Forza or Gran Turismo-like experience for those gamers and it’ll be something to really show off what the system is capable of. From our internal playing, it’s looking extremely promising."

The game is still at least a year away from release, though.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 24, 2013, 02:53:08 PM »
That game is always a year away.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #1121 on: December 24, 2013, 03:16:25 PM »
That may be so, but I'm looking forward to it. I follow Ben Collins, aka "The Stig" from BBC's Top Gear, on Twitter, and he's been posting updates on the game. I believe he's one of the chaps responsible for the telemetry and other auto-centric data concerning Project CARS. And the man knows his stuff, too. Hope it turns out great.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: December 29, 2013, 02:37:11 AM »

Not on PC! I think they've released some Beta/Alpha builds recently.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1123 on: December 30, 2013, 10:33:52 PM »
delete because wrong thread.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 09:41:23 PM by Spak-Spang »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: January 02, 2014, 03:59:50 PM »

Not on PC! I think they've released some Beta/Alpha builds recently.
But not a Gold Release.  Point stands.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.