Author Topic: Full List of GameCube Remakes Announced  (Read 25594 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Full List of GameCube Remakes Announced
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2008, 03:18:18 AM »
I hate to use an argument Nintendo made, but throwing more buttons at the user is NOT a great place to be taking gaming. While I love the series, all you need to do is look at a game like Madden which I believe is HAMPERED not helped by the current control pad. It is so much easier to throw a new move or action onto a button, while with the Wii you have to think things through, while they don't always turn out great it is actually getting developers to think a bit about how games control, by breaking them out of the status quo of "More buttons on gamepad mean I can slap in new moves".
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2008, 03:40:14 AM »
I find it funny how every conversation about Nintendo's strategy boils down to peoples' views of other peoples' views.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2008, 12:14:09 PM »
So, how about them gamecube remakes, eh?

IGN put up some video of DKJB and Pikmin.

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/142/14286426/vids_1.html

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/142/14286420/vids_1.html

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2008, 12:21:07 PM »
A lackluster waggle controller isn't the only thing to blame -- there's a developer who made the decision to use waggle in the first place.

So can I get mad at Nintendo then for being that developer?

I hate to use an argument Nintendo made, but throwing more buttons at the user is NOT a great place to be taking gaming.

Who suggests adding more buttons?  I'm merely opposed to Nintendo's decision to remove them when tons of games - Nintendo games - use them.

A regular controller would have meant the death of Nintendo even if they had made the console's power equivalent to the PS3 and 360. Nintendo was dying by using that strategy and they had to change the rules to avoid oblivion. If you want a console like the PS3 and 360 then buy one, there's two on the market after all.

Nintendo was dying using that strategy because they were f*ck ups.  Considering how much Sony screwed up with the PS3 I think it's very likely Nintendo could have beat them by merely being competent.  But since Nintendo still seems as clueless as ever regarding the old market, yeah they would have been f*cked.  They didn't HAVE to be though.  Nintendo's biggest enemy was always themselves and the solution was really just "stop screwing up obvious stuff".  You're arguing that if Nintendo showed up for the race with their shoelaced tied together again they would lose again.  Well DUH.  But why do they have to tie their shoelaces together?

But not learning that lesson and just targetting a new group seems to have worked for now.  Of course there is nothing stopping another company from taking that new audience away and exposing how inept Nintendo is.  Nintendo still has sh!tty third party support and still does things stupid for no reason (friend codes, their "solution" to the storage problem - a problem they created for themselves in the first place).  They get by because their audience doesn't know better.  They have kind of a monopoly of the blue ocean market.  But when presented with true competition I doubt they'll last because they never fixed anything.  They just targetted a new group but next time there is no new group to run to.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2008, 12:25:37 PM »
One thing I'm sure we can all agree on:  The NES launching with the Power Glove would have been a quick and gruesome death.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2008, 02:56:27 PM »
The power glove was not ripe for the market yet. Additionally a glove you have to wear is pretty nerdy and doesn't lend itself to multiple players since it's probably not very comfortable to wear the glove when another person just used it. Also the NES was not capable of 3d and physics simulation...

But not learning that lesson and just targetting a new group seems to have worked for now.  Of course there is nothing stopping another company from taking that new audience away and exposing how inept Nintendo is.

Yes there are two things preventing it.
1. Asymmetry of skill: No other company has as much control about both the hardware and software side of a console as Nintendo does, this is critical for the disruption to succeed and a counterattack to work. The software that was released for the Wii was a significant part of the disruption, if this was left to third parties we'd get core games with waggle instead of new market games.
2. Asymmetry of motivation: The other companies don't WANT this market, it's the downmarket, less profitable than the core market. It's the market for crappy nongames for nongamers. Because they think of it the same way you do, Ian, they cannot effectively use the market. The incumbents are happy to leave that less profitable market to the disruptor and focus on their "core competencies". Their problem is that the disruptor slowly moves upmarket, chipping away more and more of the core market until the incumbents are locked into a sinking island.

This is the reason for the E3 2008 "desaster": Nintendo prepared for Sony and MS's attempts to steal their new market away, they focussed entirely on that with announcing the MotionPlus before MS had a chance to speak and focussing on new market games while mostly ignoring the core. The counterattack never came and hence Nintendo's war mode seems kinda silly.

Ian, this IS an established pattern and it IS expected that the core, the upmarket held by the incumbents, looks at the new downmarket with disdain because it looks like a cheap and crappy product for non-consumers to them because the disruptive product is deliberately held lower at the overshot values (which are important only to enthusiasts) while focussing on new values.

Taking the incumbent head-on is suicide since the incumbent has more power at his disposal and can stop the newcomer quickly (MS and Sony have tons of money to throw at advertising and third party moneyhats plus Sony had a massive incumbent inertia with the PS3 that led many devs to make games for them even though the PS3 unveiling was a total desaster and its sales weren't guaranteed), a disruption is effective because the incumbent doesn't realize it's an actual threat until it's too late to deal with it and if the incumbent follows good business practices he will suffer since disruption exploits a weakness in the traditional strategy.

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2008, 04:37:12 PM »
Well, I tried.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2008, 04:38:35 PM »
lol

how sad
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2008, 06:41:01 AM »
Well, what's there to say? Most of us probably don't need them anyway since we bought those games on the Gamecube.