Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1552524 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5525 on: April 28, 2017, 10:54:08 PM »
If you want dumb action and cheesy punchlines, this movie delivers in spades. It's a franchise that knows what it is and doesn't try to be anything else. I'd maybe go down to an 8.5. This wasn't the series high, but it certainly made me appreciate the franchise.

Also, I'm not here to give lukewarm takes.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:56:02 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: April 28, 2017, 11:19:14 PM »
As someone who loves every single bad action movie that erupted from the 80s, I can appreciate something dumb that I can get a cheap laugh out of.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5527 on: April 29, 2017, 09:33:22 AM »
Let me tell you how dumb it is: Tyrese hits a guy off a snowmobile with a car door, a Lamborghini door.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: April 29, 2017, 05:30:47 PM »
Doesn't top the car jump from the last one.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5529 on: April 29, 2017, 10:55:47 PM »
There's a scene that's about on par with that one. I won't spoil it though.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: April 30, 2017, 10:42:15 AM »
Logan Finally caught this in a second run theater. It was a good story, well presented and well acted, but I still didn't like it. Like Nickmitch said earlier, the language felt gratuitous at times, especially the beginning. But it was the cynicism of the movie that left a bad taste in my mouth. I was also bothered by the murderous children, and not just X-23. That is something that is usually off-putting to me. 

Still, Hugh Jackman gives a fantastic performance and Patrick Stewart is even better.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: April 30, 2017, 11:36:53 AM »
That's his last turn as Wolverine, right?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: April 30, 2017, 01:05:01 PM »

Yes, though he has stated he would return if it were in the MCU.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: April 30, 2017, 04:47:37 PM »

Yes, though he has stated he would return if it were in the MCU.

I'm assuming he makes good on RR's efforts to get him in Deadpool 2 as well. He wants to be in box office successes, and X-Men movies were failing financially and critically successful.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: May 01, 2017, 11:08:31 PM »
GET OUT

Most cathartic movie I've ever seen. The ending...man. I've never felt such pleasure watching a movie than after seeing Pops get a rib full of antlers. That's not to say it's a perfect movie. After he had substantial proof that his girl was in on it, he still asked her for the keys and made no precautions to leaving the house safely. I would have immediately been the most pleasant person around, asking my girl if we could stay longer because I was enjoying myself so much, all the while planning my escape. Best character by far was the NSA. He was my voice. That was a very smart character addition.

Overall, an incredibly fun movie. It's unnerving, intelligent, and over-the-top. 9/10
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5535 on: May 02, 2017, 12:15:34 AM »
It's a damn shame it took you this long to watch it. I just hope it was in a packed theater with people who weren't afraid to vocalize their immersion in the movie.

Best time in a theater since Scream 1.
And homeboy was not only TSA, but took a really good movie and made it great, by saying everything we'd want to say to the movie, but in the movie.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: May 02, 2017, 08:26:56 AM »
Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning

Great action but I don't know what the **** is going on. The plot is borderline experimental. It is a series of great stunt scenes but where you normally expect an excuse plot is just??? I have no idea what it is trying to achieve or what anybody's motivations are.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: May 04, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »
GET OUT

Most cathartic movie I've ever seen. The ending...man. I've never felt such pleasure watching a movie than after seeing Pops get a rib full of antlers. That's not to say it's a perfect movie. After he had substantial proof that his girl was in on it, he still asked her for the keys and made no precautions to leaving the house safely. I would have immediately been the most pleasant person around, asking my girl if we could stay longer because I was enjoying myself so much, all the while planning my escape. Best character by far was the NSA. He was my voice. That was a very smart character addition.

Overall, an incredibly fun movie. It's unnerving, intelligent, and over-the-top. 9/10
I really liked Get Out. I saw it a couple weeks ago. I would say that it is one of the sharpest horror films I've seen in a while, but that doesn't really mean it's a great movie. I love horror films, and I think so much of the movie is excellently choreographed and in line with horror tropes and concepts, but that just means it is a great horror film. Some of the acting is good, some of it is mediocre. The dialogue is great and you can appreciate it on a second viewing, for sure. I think where the movie succeeds is in its absurdity and humor, however, which often made me feel like I was watching a comedy rather than a horror film. This doesn't surprise me when factoring in Peele's writing and experience.

While the TSA homeboy was extremely funny, he put my viewing experience at sort of a meta level for me that really detracted from the narrative. He was providing commentary for the movie I was watching within the movie, and his involvement in the plot really only contributes to the (brilliant) ending.

Like I said, it's one of the best horror films I've seen. The fact that it has enough restraint to not push itself over the limit is impressive, although I think it's a deliberate choice by Peele. I am looking forward to his next film, although I'm still not sure he can execute anything as well as he does humor.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: May 08, 2017, 11:51:04 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Really good/10
Just go see it. I don't know if it's better, worse, or the same as the first, in terms of "quality" - but it's really good. I've seen it twice already, going to see it in IMAX 3D on Wednesday. Yes, there are 5 mid/post-credits scenes. Unfortunately, the most boring one is saved for last, but it's still worth sticking around for. It ties into something that takes place during the movie: basically, Stan Lee is confirmed to be the same character in every Marvel movie - including the non-Marvel Studios films, I suppose.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: May 09, 2017, 03:28:21 AM »
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Really good/10
Just go see it. I don't know if it's better, worse, or the same as the first, in terms of "quality" - but it's really good. I've seen it twice already, going to see it in IMAX 3D on Wednesday. Yes, there are 5 mid/post-credits scenes. Unfortunately, the most boring one is saved for last, but it's still worth sticking around for. It ties into something that takes place during the movie: basically, Stan Lee is confirmed to be the same character in every Marvel movie - including the non-Marvel Studios films, I suppose.

Yes. I've only seen it once, but I'm in same place with not knowing if I liked it more that the 1st or not, but still really liked it. It was funny and emotional. It was silly and yet touched on some issues.
It's a must watch for any MCU fans, its a good watch for fans of comicbook movies, and besides, your girl/wife will love it (and you probably will too).

Now bring on THOR!!!!! I need my Ragnarok NOW!!!!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:08:32 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: May 13, 2017, 05:07:47 PM »
Alien Covenant. Maybe i'm just burned out on horror movies, but the entire movie, and same with Life recently, is built on the idea that the characters are stupid. I just can't get past that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: May 13, 2017, 05:50:09 PM »
Alien Covenant. Maybe i'm just burned out on horror movies, but the entire movie, and same with Life recently, is built on the idea that the characters are stupid. I just can't get past that.

And that is exactly what makes a movie like Get Out shine. [/shameless plug as if I'm getting paid for it]

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: May 13, 2017, 06:29:20 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy 8.5/10 really good. The Stan Lee thing is great because it means that all Marvel Universes are connected. There are just multiple realities.

The movie was great. I really liked Kurt Russell. The guy is always a presence and brings a lot to the plate.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5543 on: May 14, 2017, 04:27:16 PM »
Sleight

This movie is a lot like Dope without all the comedy and 90s hip-hop nostalgia with just a hint of The Prestige.  It's about a boy named Bo who, a year prior to the film, loses his mother and is forced to become the breadwinner of his household, turning down a track scholarship in the process.  He takes care his little sister, Tina, with the help of neighbor.  His primary income is doing street magic for LA tourists, which he supplements with a night job as a drug dealer.  His supplier seems to play a father figure-like role, but things take a turn when a new drug dealer moves into their turf.  Also, he meets a girl and they start dating.

This is a film from WWE Studios, and is way better than what you'd expect from that label.  The story is very well written, and the acting is good for such a small cast.  I found the main character very relatable: he just wants to take care of his sister and does his best to hide his "real" job from her.  If you've seen the trailer or TV commercial, you might think this is a superhero movie; it's not.  The movie slowly explains how he does his magic tricks, which becomes a major plot point towards the end.  You actually get a scene of him tinkering with a new trick, which I wish the film had more of.  I liked the pace in which it's explained.  The movie escalates really well, as the Bo's choices end up catching up to him.

A few things that bugged me: there's one scene where the characters have to do math, and they don't math right.  It's not of heavy plot significance, but it bothered me.  The sister, Tina, does something adorably annoying but still worrisome for someone her age.  The film also fails to stick the landing at the end.  The plot ends very nicely, but that last scene was just a total face plant.

8.5/10

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: May 20, 2017, 06:08:41 PM »
Alien Covenant - 6/10

Prometheus was better. It's a watchable movie, and it does actually explain where the Xenomorphs came from but doesn't explain why the Engineers wanted to kill all of the humans, but there is a complete lack of terror throughout - at least for the audience. Yes, you do need to watch Prometheus for this movie to make sense, or at least know what happens in it. Apparently there are more movies in the works...but there doesn't really need to be. Maybe one more prequel and then an actual sequel, I guess, since there is still a little bit of time between this one and Alien. But now we know where they came from, so whatever. Like I said, Prometheus was better.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5545 on: May 20, 2017, 06:55:29 PM »
Prometheus was a horrible film.  So if it was better, I don't want to know how bad Alien Covenant is.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: May 20, 2017, 10:51:54 PM »
Prometheus gets a bad rap. It's definitely not horrible. They did, however, remove two scenes that would have made it a much better movie - the actual beginning, and the dialog between The Engineer, David, and Weyland.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: May 20, 2017, 11:33:27 PM »
Also, to note. If you look for some plot inconsistencies between Alien and Prometheus...well it's on a different planet and they're exploring a different ship. It also, might even be a different(but related) alien organism.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: May 21, 2017, 12:51:51 AM »
I just watched Alien vs. Predator - I guess this not considered canon, because it destroys the entire Alien timeline...unless the Predators are time travelers.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: May 21, 2017, 02:11:57 AM »
Also, it doesn't really line up with the Weylands in Alien Resurrection and Promethius. Also, why would the Predators need to be time travelers? Wouldn't they just exist since well before humanity like the Engineers? I think the Alien vs Predator movies **** up the Predator timeline more than the Alien Timeline. Also, Predator 2 is underrated. I haven't seen Covennant yet. But the engineers apparently have an unknown foe...which may end up being the Predators when Fox goes through a few reboots

Also, speculation. The movie was called Promethius. Promethius was a Titan in Greek mythology. In some myths Promethius brought fire to man. In other myths he created man. This pissed off both the Olympians and the other Titans.

In Starcraft the Xel'Naga created both Protoss and Zerg.