Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 456377 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #925 on: June 11, 2014, 02:13:33 AM »
Pac-Man looks great and plays a lot like I envisioned he would.  When people would say Pac-Man wouldn't work in a Smash Bros because he lacks moves, I'd always bring up he could easily use things like fruit or even the ghost to help him fight, there was always a lot of potential.  Nice to see that not only did Sakurai do that, but he even expanded on it by giving Pac-Man other older Namco related arcade items to fight with as well.

This is why when people say a character doesn't have enough potential to be a character in Smash Bros, they need to learn by now that with enough creativity anyone can be a character.  Plus with the Gematsu leaker looking more accurate with each new reveal, don't be surprised if the Chorus Men from Rhythm Heaven are indeed playable in the end.  After what he did with Pac-Man, making someone like the Chorus Men playable isn't that farfetched either.

Actually thinking about the leaker, in the roundtable Sakurai mentioned the game was so huge they have hundreds of people helping to debug it.  If this leaker ends up being the real deal which right now they're looking pretty good, I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they got the info.  You get that many people working on something as big as Smash Bros, it's not that hard to imagine at least one of them would find a way to spill some of the beans.

Of course if this leaker is indeed true, people should remember they never spoiled Rosalina.  So even if Shulk, Chrom and Chorus Men are all in the game, there can still be other newcomers the leaker hasn't spoiled yet like.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 11, 2014, 07:38:18 AM »
Does Pac-Man attack with the Ghosts in any of his games? I've played a few Pac-Man games beyond the original arcade version, but none that I played had Pac-Man use the Ghosts as attacks. Briefly googling it, the Ghosts have allied with Pac-Man in the past. I've yet to determine whether Pac-Man could summon them or anything like that. I never had trouble imagining Pac-Man as a selectable fighter. There are enough games to cull moves from without resorting to randomly placing him in a Mokujin robot like in Street Fighter X Tekken. Including the Ghosts is a nice throwback to the original, but if it isn't from the games, it seems like cheating in terms of creating special moves. It'd be like if Mario tossed out Goombas, even then he had a Goomba partner in Paper Mario. I suppose we can chalk it up to creative license. At the same time, Sakurai was pretty adamant about the way Mega Man was portrayed in Super Smash Bros. so it's weird to be super-strict in one instance and amenable in another.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #927 on: June 11, 2014, 09:32:57 AM »
Wait, are you saying Sakurai was being super strict about Mega Man?  Is that because he only wanted the NES games represented in his moveset?  I don't think that's being too strict, since it still provides a lot of diversity.  Pac-Man had to have some liberties taken, but I'm glad Sakurai is the kind of insane genius to make it work.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: June 11, 2014, 09:57:25 AM »
Bomberman sits on the sidelines...weeping.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: June 11, 2014, 10:22:41 AM »
Wait, are you saying Sakurai was being super strict about Mega Man?  Is that because he only wanted the NES games represented in his moveset?  I don't think that's being too strict, since it still provides a lot of diversity.  Pac-Man had to have some liberties taken, but I'm glad Sakurai is the kind of insane genius to make it work.
Strict in the sense that all of Mega Man's moves are based on things from the actual games. I'm asking about Pac-Man because I don't remember him using his most well-known enemies as an attack before. Super Smash Bros. take plenty of liberties with characters which is fine. I was merely pointing out how Mega Man is portrayed comparatively.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #930 on: June 11, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »
True.  I guess they're opposite ends of that spectrum, but I'm sure that's more out of necessity than stylistic choice.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: June 11, 2014, 11:40:35 AM »
Mario doesn't have cape reflection move in any other game, though. Or Falcon's entire moveset. Sometimes Sakurai just makes up moves.

Best part of Pacman's moves is how it's a celebration of Namco arcade games.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: June 11, 2014, 12:09:08 PM »
Mario doesn't have cape reflection move in any other game, though. Or Falcon's entire moveset. Sometimes Sakurai just makes up moves.
Super Smash Bros. take plenty of liberties with characters which is fine. I was merely pointing out how Mega Man is portrayed comparatively.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 11, 2014, 01:37:22 PM »
Can't say I'm pleased at Pac Man's inclusion. I think I'd rather they just flush all the 3rd party characters out to make room for more oddball Nintendo characters.

But in this here reality, Pac Man does look pretty interesting to play as, and so long as we have Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac Man, they may as well toss Snake back in.

First wave of that leak is pretty complete, but I kind of doubt the second list. I suspect there are only one or two more newcomers.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #934 on: June 11, 2014, 01:40:18 PM »
Seems like that leaker has been right on the money so far! I wonder if Shulk, Chrom, and the Chorus Men are going to continue this leaker's streak of correctness!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 11, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »
Are we going to get Bomberman to go with all these old school characters? I'm sure he would fit right in.

maybe as a DLC add on
Bomberman as a playable character
Bonk & Bubble Bobble as assist trophies.

Bonk runs through head first like a rhino
Bubble Bobble start capturing people in bubbles allowing them to get hit or float off platform.

Bringing back Snake would be good as well. He was a fun character to play as in the last game.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: June 11, 2014, 10:43:44 PM »
Clueless Gamer: Team Coco Plays Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-super-smash-bros

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:45:18 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 12, 2014, 01:16:37 AM »
Did I not say Reggie being in Smash would be the Mii debut? I knew that phony petition was setting us up for this. Mii looks amazing in all it's forms, Palutena looks amazing and Pac Man looks as fun as anyone else! These were the 3 characters I knew were being revealed yesterday.

So big leak is just coming true one character after another. I just hope like Rosalina there are others he didn't mention. Oh Ridley I long for you. Dixie too...
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 12, 2014, 02:31:50 AM »
Well here's something interesting from IGN's stream of Smash Run.

That ghost looking enemy is from the Rhythm Heaven series. 

So far, every other enemy in Smash Run is from series with playable characters.  The source that leaked Wii Fit Trainer along with several others who've all been confirmed by now says Chorus Men from Rhythm Heaven will be a playable character as well.  So yeah, it's getting kind of hard to deny the leaker at this point when everything is pointing pretty heavily to them being correct.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 12, 2014, 02:53:59 AM »
I'd prefer a tamburine monkey or any of the girls from Rhythm Heaven.
And if they wanted popular character from the series they should have gone with Wrestler who is at that point more popular than series itself.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #940 on: June 12, 2014, 09:39:21 AM »
Who is this leaker that is so often referred to in this thread?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 12, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
I'm afraid that's information we can't leak.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #942 on: June 14, 2014, 07:56:08 PM »
Got to play today at a Smash fest event.  It was awesome.  The demo was insanely short though.  The game definitely feels less floaty, like people are saying.  Megaman is crazy hard to use.  His charge shot is his side A smash attack.  I thought it'd be more like Samus.  I also got to play the 3DS version.  Smash run is really fun, but the level I got seemed to repeat characters in the stage.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 14, 2014, 08:06:34 PM »
Got to play today at a Smash fest event.  It was awesome.  The demo was insanely short though.  The game definitely feels less floaty, like people are saying.  Megaman is crazy hard to use.  His charge shot is his side A smash attack.  I thought it'd be more like Samus.  I also got to play the 3DS version.  Smash run is really fun, but the level I got seemed to repeat characters in the stage.

I went on Wednesday evening, but didn't bother to try playing because the line was still ridiculous.  I have to say, the videos don't do the game justice, it just looks gorgeous in person.  Definitely excited for this game.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #944 on: June 14, 2014, 08:29:11 PM »
I don't know how I let that point slip my mind, but you're absolutely right.  The game is just amazing to look at live.  It might be what sets the bar in a post MK8 world.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #945 on: June 20, 2014, 10:54:16 AM »
Have we talked about the customization yet?  Sakurai said on Miiverse today that each character has 12 different special moves.

Personally, this makes me worry that I'm going to have to play the game a ****-tonne to get the right character/moveset.  I mean, even characters I don't normally play as might be 1000% better for be by just swapping the moves.  On the other hand, it's kind of exciting and could make being competitive with friends more fun/strategic since you never really know what you're going to get.

Any other thoughts?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: June 20, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »
Personally, custom movesets are things I can see myself playing around with for a week or so then never touching again. I appreciate the effort, but I know I'm too lazy. This includes the Mii fighters.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #947 on: June 20, 2014, 02:09:31 PM »
Yeah, I'm excited for Miis, but I'm worried I'll never get around to using them. :^/

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: June 20, 2014, 02:37:38 PM »
Personally I'm not a fan of Customized Movesets in a fighter.

Simply I want to be able to see my enemy and know what moves they bring to the table.

Also if anything comes from Rhythm Heaven.  Elite Beat Agents should be represented.  Preferably EBA but Oundan (sp?) works for me too.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:48:08 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: June 20, 2014, 04:47:05 PM »
I like it since it might make certain characters I wouldn't have normally played, something I want to play now.  It's kind of like how in a lot of fighting games, you'll have two characters that are clones of each other, but the slight difference one of the characters moves have over the other can make a huge difference to the person playing them.

So if there's a certain character in this game who's normal moveset you think is lame, now you can change it up and maybe turn that fighter into something great.  Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if some characters who are considered low tier with their normal movesets, can become top tier with the right change.  It's really a great way to help balance the game since everyone now has options to try and make fighters better.