Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 455655 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #1350 on: October 06, 2014, 03:09:14 PM »
No I think it's a rather vocal minority who outright doesn't like Brawl.

Nah. Whether internet or offline (not this community of less than 20 people), when the question of whether or not someone likes Brawl is asked, almost every single one of them replies with a no. I have seen this question asked on reddit, tumblr, neogaf, my facebook, my current college dorm, my previous college, various non-Nintendo forums and websites, general video game forums, etc. They don't like Brawl and prefer Smash 64 or Melee or even PM to Brawl. And now that Smash 4 is out, I have not seen a single person say they liked Brawl over the new game.
Just as clarification, just because you prefer melee over Brawl or Smash 4 over brawl does not automatically mean that you hate Brawl. while alot of people may prefer the other games in the series that doesn't mean they outright hate the game.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:12:50 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: October 06, 2014, 03:24:11 PM »
On an unrelated note, I only check Miiverse for Sakurai's Super Smash Bros. Pic of the Day posts, but right under it was a pokepal post saying he was banned from online play for 10 minutes because he quit a match due to lag and someone told him to "get better internet." What a pompous ****.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: October 06, 2014, 10:36:46 PM »
The Wii U version of "4" will be the best in the series for me. I would put the 3DS up there but the screen is just too damned small and the control pad while serviceable is less than ideal.! I need to get an XL and play and then I'll make a final judgement, but the amount of work Sakurai put into the content of this game is STAGGERING. If the Wii U ver. is simply on par and HD then we are talking 10's (i'm sure it will be more)  from a lot of press and GOTForever contention.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1353 on: October 06, 2014, 10:37:28 PM »
No Ice Climbers means 4 will always be No. 2.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 06, 2014, 10:39:52 PM »
No Ice Climbers means 4 will always be No. 2.
Hey, one of my brawl mains was nerfed into hell and the other one has charizard flying solo now so there.

Honestly without the Waddle Dees I feel like Dedede might as well be dead.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:44:52 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1355 on: October 06, 2014, 10:41:37 PM »
My Smash 64 main has been getting nerfed since forever.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: October 07, 2014, 02:50:36 AM »
So Smash Bros seems to be sold out all over the city here, I've never really encountered this problem before so it's quite frustrating. To add to the frustration my 3DS won't connect to my WiFi at my new place for some reason, so downloading isn't an option either.

Eh, it's probably beneficial to me completing my assignments on time, but still annoying.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: October 07, 2014, 07:37:23 AM »
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will be released Nov. 21 in the Americas and Dec. 5 in Europe.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/238996-noa-pr-info-on-smash-wii-u-amiibo-and-captain-toad

And Smash 3DS is at 2.8 million units sold worldwide.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: October 07, 2014, 09:48:05 AM »
We finally have confirmation that the game's coming out the day I'd have told you it would a year ago.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: October 07, 2014, 07:43:49 PM »
Do you mean Kirby?

Much to my surprise, I keep hearing people laud Brawl. I was originally under the impression that it was like the black sheep of the series, but people really dig it. It felt like I fell into an alternate universe when I started hearing all these people praising Brawl.
Interesting. This is about the exact opposite of my own experience. It's only been recently that I've seen other people show some criticism of Brawl; when the game originally released and for several years after, it seemed like everyone loved the game and I was the only one who could see all of its problems. Better late than never I guess, but this still feels too much like another case of "newer game > older game" rather than people turning on the critical thinking.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1360 on: October 07, 2014, 09:28:36 PM »
Do you mean Kirby?

No, Samus.  I don't think I really mained her since 64.  I got more into Mr. Game & Watch and Ness in the Melee years.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: October 08, 2014, 01:28:24 AM »
Do you mean Kirby?

No, Samus.  I don't think I really mained her since 64.  I got more into Mr. Game & Watch and Ness in the Melee years.

You do realize you can buff Samus up to make her better in this game thanks to the equipment?  Seriously, that's what I've loved most about this new Smash Bros is how thanks to the custom equipment, you can buff any character you want.  My main Luigi got nerfed in the normal game, but once I got enough equipment I gave him a huge Attack boast and now I've created a custom Luigi that's better then he was in any of the previous Smash Bros.

Here I thought the customs movesets would be the big thing, but to me the custom equipment ended up being bigger since being able to increase Attack, Defense or Speed really is a game changer.  So far I have yet to play as a character I don't like since I just increase the weak aspects of them to create something that's much better.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: October 08, 2014, 08:21:36 AM »
I'm not terribly impressed by Smash Run. I've only played a few matches since I'm trying to unlock outfits and custom moves, nether of which I especially care about. They're both for completion's sake though the former specifically completes a challenge. I only have two challenges left, the other is "Complete All-Star Mode With All Characters" which includes the three Mii variations. The challenges are generally super-easy so this challenge is difficult due to how long it will take.
I was mistaken. The two challenges I have left are "Collect 3 Types of Custom Outfits" and "Collect 10 Types of Smash Run Powers." I think the "Clear All-Star Mode With All Characters" thing is a milestone.

Anyway, another character started giving me problems: Falco. I was using Ness and it took three matches to finally beat him. I tried using Busty Samus afterwards and it was a really close match. Finally, I did well using Link.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: October 08, 2014, 09:27:36 AM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/08/gamecube-controllers-will-work-with-more-than-just-smash-bros

Broken hearts everywhere - GCN adapter limited to *only* Smash Bros.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: October 08, 2014, 01:13:49 PM »
Nintendo limiting support for 13 year old controllers? Shocking news.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: October 08, 2014, 01:38:12 PM »
I'm not terribly impressed by Smash Run. I've only played a few matches since I'm trying to unlock outfits and custom moves, nether of which I especially care about. They're both for completion's sake though the former specifically completes a challenge. I only have two challenges left, the other is "Complete All-Star Mode With All Characters" which includes the three Mii variations. The challenges are generally super-easy so this challenge is difficult due to how long it will take.
I was mistaken. The two challenges I have left are "Collect 3 Types of Custom Outfits" and "Collect 10 Types of Smash Run Powers." I think the "Clear All-Star Mode With All Characters" thing is a milestone.

Anyway, another character started giving me problems: Falco. I was using Ness and it took three matches to finally beat him. I tried using Busty Samus afterwards and it was a really close match. Finally, I did well using Link.

You know there are 3 challenge walls, right? The challenges you list are just the first wall. Completing All-Star mode with every character is on the third wall. I'm going through All-Star right now. I've beat it with the top two rows of fighters starting on the third row now. I haven't unlocked Bowser Jr. or Duck Hunt Dog once I realized that by doing so it would keep the number of fighter in All-Star mode low. Less people to fight then the faster and easier it is. Plus, doing it this way will still count so I was able to beat it on Normal and Hard already. It's the same as Melee. I started to play it again while waiting for Smash 3DS to release and it's better if you beat the single player modes before unlocking all characters to make it faster and easier.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: October 08, 2014, 01:56:08 PM »
You know there are 3 challenge walls, right?
I didn't, but I do now. I was thinking the challenges were absurdly easy. I just checked it; I can't even see the other pages yet. I guess I either have to clear a challenge on one of the other pages or finish the first page entirely in order to see them.

EDIT: I looked it up. I have to complete the first page to see second page then complete at least 25 challenges on the second page to see the third page. I already completed some of the challenges on the second page by just playing the game so the game is just waiting for me to complete those last two challenges on the first page. I guess I'll just play a few Smash Run matches to get that out of the way.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:16:48 PM by Adrock »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: October 08, 2014, 03:16:15 PM »
The challenge panels work similarly to Kid Icarus Uprising. If you have any hammers, you could use them on your last two challenges. The other pages have their own set of hammers and you won't be able to use the ones from the first panel.

Samus seemed fine in Melee to me, but yeah she wasn't so good in Brawl. Kirby has it worse though, he was just so awful in Melee and didn't really recover in Brawl. Ness was made a lot worse in Melee also, but he was decent in Brawl.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1368 on: October 09, 2014, 12:00:54 AM »
Do you mean Kirby?

You do realize you can buff Samus up to make her better in this game thanks to the equipment?  Seriously, that's what I've loved most about this new Smash Bros is how thanks to the custom equipment, you can buff any character you want.  My main Luigi got nerfed in the normal game, but once I got enough equipment I gave him a huge Attack boast and now I've created a custom Luigi that's better then he was in any of the previous Smash Bros.

Here I thought the customs movesets would be the big thing, but to me the custom equipment ended up being bigger since being able to increase Attack, Defense or Speed really is a game changer.  So far I have yet to play as a character I don't like since I just increase the weak aspects of them to create something that's much better.

Yeah, but I'm still having fun playing with characters on random while I unlock everyone.  I might dive into the customization, but it was never the thing I was looking forward to.  I'm not the "customize everything" type.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1369 on: October 09, 2014, 12:04:56 AM »
Double Post: The official site has had quite a few updates!  Along with all the infor you can read on the news section here, there's character profiles for 3 secret characters. Spoiler alert!  Also, the pics are gorgeous.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: October 09, 2014, 01:31:59 AM »
Double Post: The official site has had quite a few updates!  Along with all the infor you can read on the news section here, there's character profiles for 3 secret characters. Spoiler alert!  Also, the pics are gorgeous.

I like that they updated the music CD offer page with a hint of some of the new Wii U music.

Egg Planet
Title (Metroid)
The Great Cave Offensive
Fight 1 (Fire Emblem Gaiden)
Xenoblade Chronicles Medley

All songs we didn't know about yet.  The Great Cave Offensive in particular is a big reveal since it kind of confirms that this picture Nintendo put on there Facebook page is the Kirby stage for the Wii U version which is Great Cave Offensive related.

The Castle in the background and the minecart both look very similar to the one in Great Cave Offensive and now we know there's going to be a remixed related to that game as well.

Of course this kind of shows Sakurai really doesn't care for the Kirby games that weren't the ones he made.  Every other major Nintendo franchise gets stages based of the newest installments but for Kirby, Sakurai has never made a Kirby stage based off the newest Kirby games.  He only makes them based of off Dreamland 1, Adventure and Super Star which were of course the 3 Kirby's he made.  Yeah I love the Gameboy Dreamland stage in the 3DS version and I can see this stage being great as well, but it is kind of ridicules that Sakurai won't make any Kirby stages based off anything that isn't his when at this point the majority of the series he's had nothing to do with.

I guess he still holds a huge grudge against HAL despite leaving them over a decade ago.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: October 09, 2014, 12:33:57 PM »
Do you mean Kirby?

So, I went in to the customize character stuff and made a custom Villager with slightly increased attack, defense and speed. I also chose to use a modified gyroid riding move (side B) which has the gyroid curve upwards as it flies along. I figured all this would be fun to mess around with.
Then I went to solo play to brawl with my newly improved Villager. I clicked the little wrench on the top right corner of the bottom screen, thinking this would be how you activate the improved version of the character. Nope. Gyroid still just goes to the side, does not curve upwards, like I equipped. Also, no discernible difference in attack, defense or speed.

So, what am I doing wrong? How do I use the custom guy?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: October 09, 2014, 12:58:01 PM »
Make sure the wrench is turned on before you select a fighter. Once he's selected it will bring up the option to select the customised fighter.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: October 09, 2014, 04:34:32 PM »
ugh. I knew it would be something simple.
Thanks, Soren
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: October 16, 2014, 08:14:31 PM »
Just heard that "8-player" smash is a tag battle that is Amiibo based and not 8 separate players. Anyone else hear this baseless speculation?