Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 455627 times)

Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #1325 on: October 02, 2014, 12:10:55 PM »
BUT the guy at Gamestop, probably up to his usual lies, told me they are going to be available as DLC and that it was already confirmed, is that true or is he full of ****?
Why yes it is true. And now that you know, buy a $50 E-shop card. And while you at it, we have the Xbone deal available where if you give up your 360 and its entire library of games, you get $50 off. And there is this Vita deal...

Don't be an asshole because I asked a question that I hadn't confirmed I don't live on the fucking internet dude. I even expressed my doubts in the post so you didn't have to just assume I believed it I was only asking if others heard something I hadn't.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:12:50 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: October 02, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »
Well dude, you might not live on the internet, but you do go so far as to frequent a Nintendo forum, so it is by no means unreasonable to expect you to know better than what some random Gamestop goofus tells you.

But as to that topic:

Leak mania is over, but people have sorted through the 3DS rom dump and found pretty clear evidence for an as-yet-hidden in-game store for Smash Brothers. So there's like a 99% chance there's going to be some form of DLC. Whether that's costumes, stages, or characters, who knows. There's also an ad from the UK implying that connecting the 3DS version of Smash to the WiiU version will "unlock the full experience" or some such.

Sakurai has flat-out said, however, that the Ice Climbers were cut from the roster because they wouldn't work on the 3DS. They had them running in some form on the WiiU build, but did not continue developing them once it was clear they wouldn't fly on the 3DS. I guess there's some outside chance Sakurai will reverse his roster-parity stance and restore the Ice Climbers to the Wii U version, but I highly doubt it.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: October 02, 2014, 05:06:43 PM »
BUT the guy at Gamestop, probably up to his usual lies, told me they are going to be available as DLC and that it was already confirmed, is that true or is he full of ****?
Why yes it is true. And now that you know, buy a $50 E-shop card. And while you at it, we have the Xbone deal available where if you give up your 360 and its entire library of games, you get $50 off. And there is this Vita deal...

Don't be an asshole because I asked a question that I hadn't confirmed I don't live on the fucking internet dude. I even expressed my doubts in the post so you didn't have to just assume I believed it I was only asking if others heard something I hadn't.

That entire post was directed to insult Gamestop's employees and in no way, shape, or form to insult you.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: October 02, 2014, 05:12:07 PM »
I got it. Unfortunately, some people think they are the center of attention and everything is directed to and about them.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: October 02, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
I got it. Unfortunately, some people think they are the center of attention and everything is directed to and about them.
Oh, I so know that was totally directed right at MEEEE!
You are SO going to GET IT!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: October 02, 2014, 10:37:31 PM »
I scored an early copy. ZOMG, so good.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1331 on: October 03, 2014, 12:12:45 AM »
*Slide*

*Drop, drop, drop, drop*

*Slide*

*Slide*

*Drop, drop, drop, drop*

*Slide*

*Slide*

*Drop, drop, drop, drop*

*Slide*

*Slide*

*Drop, drop, drop, drop*

*Slide*
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: October 03, 2014, 12:42:43 AM »
error code 011-3139...
error code 011-3139...
error code 011-3139...
error code 011-3139...
error code 011-3139...
error code 011-3139...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:44:21 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: October 03, 2014, 06:21:40 AM »
I managed to luck out with my eShop effort. It was slow to connect, but I got through.

Having the full game is such a joy. The vast amount of stuff there is to do is what I expect from Sakurai. While I lament the weakened single-player offerings compared to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the custom moves and equipment are a treat for me who has spent hours in the Mech Lab of MechWarrior 3.

Also, my first hour in the game shows how rusty I am at Smash as I was beaten by the CPU Lucina before I unlocked her at my 4th bout with her. Granted, the character unlock matches are tougher than the default difficulty. Regarding Lucina specifically, the CPU has an easy time reading the player for the Counter special.

I customized my controls to have Shield on L, Grab on A, Jump on X, Attack on Y, and Special on B. My conflicting muscle memories between Super Smash Bros. Melee, the Super Smash Bros. for 3DS demo, and other 3DS games are causing havoc with my play on top of the not-ideal form factor of the 3DS XL. I hope I will be able to adapt.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: October 03, 2014, 08:46:40 AM »
I've had the game since 7pm last night. It's weird that the Club Nintendo PIN is printed on the back of the cover insert. This is the first game I've purchased with that. The last 3DS game I bought was A Link Between Worlds which had a separate insert for the PIN. Not a big deal, just something I noticed. Some thoughts and impressions:

I changed the controls immediately. Y - Special, B - Attack, L - Shield, R - Grab, and tap up to jump turned off. I found myself accidentally pressing the default controls from the demo a few times, but I adjusted pretty quickly. Tilts are a bit difficult to pull off with the Circle Pad. The game is not really conducive for competitive play. I don't even mean tournaments. There were times I had to stop myself and hold back because I thought I was being too rough with the Circle Pad. The game works better in a casual oh-look-Smash-Bros-on-a-handheld way.

While I haven't tried every character, I haven't come across one I dislike, including veterans. Bowser, particularly, was not completely awful like he was before since he's at least somewhat mobile now. My friend hated King Dedede, but I haven't tried him yet. Of the newcomers, Little Mac is probably the worst I've tried (I've unlocked half of the remaining characters, most have been clones). To clarify, I don't dislike him, but he's going to require a lot of practice due to how terrible his air game is which, amazingly, is worse than I expected even with Sakurai openly admitting that Little Mac is truly awful in the air. I'm not even going to bother on 3DS due to the controls. Understanding the intracasies of spacing and dodging with Little Mac is going to require more precision than the Circle Pad allows. Oh well.

The best newcomer so far is Wii Fit Trainer though I kind of want to say Zero Suit Samus who has been changed so dramatically that she's practically a new character. And thank Jebus that Pit finally has some finishing moves now. I don't want to dwell on specifics about characters just yet (another time).

I only played one on one multiplayer. It worked really well the vast majority of the time. It only lagged once briefly and we played for about two and a half hours. That's a good sign. This friend is the only person I see regularly who will even have the game so I don't foresee myself playing three or four player matches too often. I only tried Smash Run once to complete the box on the challenge board. It's okay, nothing to write home about. Smash Run is handicapped by the lack of customizable options and the fact that you don't run into other players. For a series known for options and chaotic fun, it's strange that Smash Run is so limiting.

The other modes are standard Super Smash Bros. fair. Trophy Rush was odd. I tried it to complete a challenge, but I didn't really know what I was doing. In any case, the 3DS version has far less total content than Brawl but much more of the content I actually want: characters, and stages that don't suck. Still, as far as stages go, Mushoomy Kingdom is probably the worse so far because it was also terrible in Brawl. I didn't get far enough in it, but I heard they at least removed Level 1-2 so it just cycles Level 1-1. It would have been nice if they made it look like 8-bit Super Mario Bros. so it'd at least be fun to look at. I digress. The best new stage is difficult to pick because so many of them are f-ing awesome. Without spending too much time thinking about it, Magicant (even with the stage hazard-esque characters you can punch in the face to help fight with you), Mute City, and Dream Land immediately come to mind.

Ultimately, it's already better than Brawl, far, far, far better than Brawl. I already knew this from the demo. Still, the 3DS version feels like a demo of the Wii U version. I'm probably more forgiving of this since I'm paying less than $8 for it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 08:54:03 AM by Adrock »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: October 03, 2014, 11:51:10 AM »
Charizard is just ridiculously strong this time. Like he has nice recovery, and a new side special that just tears things up,

although I do feel, just because flare blitz has that recoil, that it should be able to break shields but still,

I'm trying to use the whole equipment thing to try and speed him up a bit. I also switched his b-down to 'rock hurl'

And I'm using the whole equipment thing to try and speed him up a bit.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 01:20:48 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: October 03, 2014, 01:08:24 PM »
Adrock, you think tilts are hard to pull off? Lucky you, thats all I can seem to do. Since I'm a failthy casual thats too used to the c-stick, I can barely seem to be able to pull off an A attack in any direction without it being an accidental tilt attack.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: October 03, 2014, 01:20:56 PM »
With the Circle Pad, I seem to have two gears: nothing and FULL FORCE FOREVER. I'm trying to get used to tapping it. Just tap it in, give it a little tappy, tap, tap, tapparoo.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: October 03, 2014, 02:54:44 PM »
Covertly downloading Smash from a restaurant wifi spot as I eat because my 3DS won't connect to the hotel wifi where I'm being housed. You made me do this Nintendo. I just hope it finishes downloading before I'm done...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: October 03, 2014, 04:59:40 PM »
I like this game. This game is fun. Very fun. Made being on the bus at 6:00 in the morning much more palatable.
I recommend this game to earl;y commuters. Any anyone who is a human.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1340 on: October 04, 2014, 09:57:39 AM »
I completely forgot how many things there are to do in Smash games.  It's almost intimidating, especially sense this one has so much more content.

I also lost on a character unlock battle.  Almost ashamed to say that it was Wario, but I was using Shulk for the first time (well, second).  Incidentally, I'm really liking him as a character.  I thought I could get used to Ness (as a replacement for Lucas), but it's just not the same.  Still like him though.

Also, maybe it's just me, but Smash Run is hard as ****.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: October 04, 2014, 01:48:34 PM »
Played it for about an hour last night before work. Smash Run doesn't wow me at all. The mini games are cool enough, but that's not what I consider the meat of the content anyway.

Zero Suit Samus and Shulk have impressed me a lot now that I'm looking for a third regular character to use after Kirby and Ike. Or it might just be that I'm still learning the controls and I'm spamming the same attacks and those two have some pretty devastating moves.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: October 06, 2014, 10:20:06 AM »
I'm not terribly impressed by Smash Run. I've only played a few matches since I'm trying to unlock outfits and custom moves, nether of which I especially care about. They're both for completion's sake though the former specifically completes a challenge. I only have two challenges left, the other is "Complete All-Star Mode With All Characters" which includes the three Mii variations. The challenges are generally super-easy so this challenge is difficult due to how long it will take.

Currently, I'm playing through Classic Mode with all characters. I think I'm nine characters in. The new true final boss is awesome. I didn't like Tabuu in Brawl at all. It would have been nice if they used Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, and Namco bosses, but the doppelgänger part is still pretty cool.

I've tried all the characters and the only one I'm outright disappointed in is King Dedede. He's still terrible. I've heard people say Ganondorf is improved, but I still find him bulky. I typically switch between Busty Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, Link, and Mario (I know, he's surprisingly awesome in this game) though I can still hang with Zelda, Sheik, and Peach. I'm really enjoying the newcomers; they're easily the best batch in the series. I can see Rosalina and Luma causing some problems. I've lost twice to them I suspect because I was trying to use Palutena who doesn't hit as hard as you'd think for being a heavier character. The level nine CPUs seemed less tough in this installment. Maybe there's something to this whole Amiibo thing.

The Omega version of stages is a great addition. At the same time, I wish there was an option to turn off stage hazards because I want to play on the different platforms, but I don't feel like dealing with all the other **** going on. The Flying Men on Magicant, for example, are f-ing obscene. They're so strong and they always show up in the same part of the stage so you can technically camp there and hold your ground, that is if you want to be that person.

This is probably my favorite Super Smash Bros. so far (it's at least on par with Melee), and I'm not just saying that because it's the newest one. I seem to be in the minority of people who just didn't like Brawl, at least until Project M came out and that doesn't count. The 3DS version is the most well-balanced of the series. It has the best newcomers. The new stages are the best since Melee. I'd definitely dock the game points for lacking options that were in previous titles (e.g. no item frequency = boo/hiss). Also, some of the returning stages are disappointing, either because they are bad choices or they are really showing their age (e.g. Corneria). I have no doubt at this point that the Wii U version will be my absolute run away favorite game in the series.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:24:08 PM by Adrock »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: October 06, 2014, 11:11:20 AM »
Adrock, the way you're approaching the modes seems more like work than fun. I hope you're enjoying yourself.  :-\

My latest "brilliant" observation about this game is thusly: Master Hand is a dick. Fun, but a dick. That is all.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: October 06, 2014, 12:05:59 PM »
Adrock, the way you're approaching the modes seems more like work than fun. I hope you're enjoying yourself.  :-\
This is probably my favorite Super Smash Bros. so far (it's at least on par with Melee)
The single player modes have always felt more like work than fun. If nothing else, it's helping me familiarize myself with the characters. It is what it is. The heart of Super Smash Bros. is the multiplayer and I'm extremely satisfied with what Sakurai and his team have brought to the table.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: October 06, 2014, 12:11:40 PM »
My latest "brilliant" observation about this game is thusly: Master Hand is a dick. Fun, but a dick. That is all.
Crazy Hand has several moves that can immobilize you and if he lands one while master hand is pulling his stupid card tricks you can say goodbye to your current stock.

On one of my online matches, I think I joined a room with DrewMG and Nron, I just got juggled around so I'll have to figure out how to deal with that (I already have a little surprise in store for dealing with people who try to get cheap shots on me when I'm making a horizontal recovery). It's remarkable how all of my friends matches have been buttery smooth while my random matches have been laggy as heck.

I also enjoyed that 10 minute ban I got for leaving a match that had to stop and reload every 3 seconds so that I could continue enjoying the Super Smash Bros slideshow.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:37:45 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: October 06, 2014, 12:35:15 PM »
I seem to be in the minority of people who just didn't like Brawl...
minority
who just didn't like Brawl...

The vast majority of people do not like Brawl. You are definitely not the minority here.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:54:34 PM by ObbyDent »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: October 06, 2014, 12:41:21 PM »
No I think it's a rather vocal minority who outright doesn't like Brawl.

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: October 06, 2014, 12:57:49 PM »

Nah. Whether internet or offline (not this community of less than 20 people), when the question of whether or not someone likes Brawl is asked, almost every single one of them replies with a no. I have seen this question asked on reddit, tumblr, neogaf, my facebook, my current college dorm, my previous college, various non-Nintendo forums and websites, general video game forums, etc. They don't like Brawl and prefer Smash 64 or Melee or even PM to Brawl. And now that Smash 4 is out, I have not seen a single person say they liked Brawl over the new game.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: October 06, 2014, 01:10:55 PM »
That's how I see it, but I'm not invested enough in this opinion to really care. I'm more surprised that Oblivion chose that one line out of my entire post to focus on.

And to clarify, I didn't hate Brawl; I just didn't really like it. Brawl didn't feel like a step forward to me. There were a few good ideas, but collectively, it was hampered by some very bad ones. I must say that I feel like Super Smash Bros. for 3DS feels like a bigger step forward because it went back on many of those bad choices made for Brawl. Additionally, it introduced arguably the most important change in the series since Melee's directional, tilt, and charge attacks by drastically improving the edge game. Yeah, you can still camp, but edge hogging is now a thing of the past.

Some of the other additions like the red electricity after a particularly strong attack are welcome.
Nah. Whether internet or offline (not this community of less than 20 people), when the question of whether or not someone likes Brawl is asked, almost every single one of them replies with a no. I have seen this question asked on reddit, tumblr, neogaf, my facebook, my current college dorm, my previous college, various non-Nintendo forums and websites, general video game forums, etc. They don't like Brawl and prefer Smash 64 or Melee or even PM to Brawl. And now that Smash 4 is out, I have not seen a single person say they liked Brawl over the new game.
Much to my surprise, I keep hearing people laud Brawl. I was originally under the impression that it was like the black sheep of the series, but people really dig it. Brawl is a distant fourth to me. Again, I don't really care one way or another. It felt like I fell into an alternate universe when I started hearing all these people praising Brawl.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:10:18 PM by Adrock »