Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 266703 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP
« Reply #825 on: September 15, 2011, 05:04:13 PM »
Sony Delusions
The article pretty much has Sony talking about how they don't see the 3DS as a direct competitor to the Vita.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #826 on: September 15, 2011, 05:09:51 PM »
It also confirms that there's no plans for a Monster Hunter on Vita.

Japan's reaction could be summed up thusly: (╯°□°)╯︵ (::°[__]°+)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: September 15, 2011, 05:12:01 PM »
I really don't know why anyone would get this besides an uber PS3 Accessory.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: September 15, 2011, 05:34:44 PM »
Sony Delusions
The article pretty much has Sony talking about how they don't see the 3DS as a direct competitor to the Vita.

When I click on the link all I got was a poorly grammared Error message.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 15, 2011, 05:36:34 PM »
Sony Delusions

When I click on the link all I got was a poorly grammared Error message.
Works for me but, its like the second item on the home page.  Just go to the base site.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: September 15, 2011, 05:46:50 PM »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:48:28 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: September 15, 2011, 06:05:42 PM »
try this instead
http://andriasang.com/comy7r/

Same thing. This is what I'm seeing either way:

- ERROR -

It looks like something went wrong with you're request! Check the url to make sure it's entered correctly.

Click here to go back to the front page.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: September 15, 2011, 06:09:04 PM »
It works for me now that I went to the main page and then clicked the story
But it error'd on me first try too.

so go to the main page then click on this story
"Sony Boss Talks Vita Sales Targets and Competition with 3DS and Smartphones"

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: September 15, 2011, 07:32:35 PM »
Okay, I got it. Sony said the same thing about the Wii and the DS too if I'm not mistaken. I think its a standard business practice of theirs to say they aren't in competition which helps them save face when they end up getting mercilessly slaughtered by it which they probably will yet again.

I don't know about you guys, but after all of Sony's shenanigans I am going to make it a point never to buy another Sony product ever again out of principle. I suppose if they somehow managed to become the video game monopoly and if there was no other choice then I would have a difficult decision to make, but I don't think that will ever happen. We need to remember how Sony treats consumers and realize they don't deserve our business.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: September 15, 2011, 10:31:37 PM »
To be fair, Nintendo never acknowledges that they have competitors either unless they're talking about how much they're beating them in terms of sales.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: September 15, 2011, 10:48:37 PM »
I suppose if they somehow managed to become the video game monopoly and if there was no other choice then I would have a difficult decision to make, but I don't think that will ever happen.

You'd just have to play PC games exclusively then. It's really not so bad, I promise. I'd even buy a couple of titles for you if it meant you swearing off of Sony. ;)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: September 16, 2011, 02:50:35 AM »
I'll swear off Sony....

what first on your gift list?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 16, 2011, 03:03:29 AM »
PC software isn't the problem. Its actually cheaper than console software most of the time. The problem is PC hardware. I can't afford a $1,000 or $2,000 computer. The one I have isn't good enough for gaming purposes. I did look into upgrading it, though, but I can't because the motherboard doesn't have a PCI Express 2.0 slot so I can't install the latest graphic cards.

But as far as swearing off Sony goes, I think I've already done that... I don't plan on buying the Vita or PS4 or anything Sony ever makes ever again, but I already have a PS3 and hundreds of dollars worth of games for it so the damage there is already done and I'm not just going to throw it out, which wouldn't hurt Sony if I did anyway.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: September 16, 2011, 08:24:05 AM »
I won't make any official claims to never buy Sony products ever again, but Sony is making it easy not to buy their future hardware. Vita, for me, is a total mess. I'm interested in ONE game (Uncharted) and it may find it's way to hardware I already own. No one knows jack about PS4 but if Nintendo can get some damn 3rd party support, I have no reason to buy another console and 1st party titles from the other 2 major players just don't really interest me. God of War IV isn't going to hack it unless Sony Santa Monica changes enough from God of War III and Ghost of Sparta to make it interesting again.

Of course, that's a big "if" and Nintendo would have to manage to not be total ****-ups. Wii U is looking promising and if it doesn't get the sweet, sweet 3rd party loving I desire, I'll be waiting a long time to invest in another console because I just don't play games enough to justify spending hundreds of dollars on what basically amounts to another Netflix streaming machine that plays games every so often.

Offline Yuusha

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 16, 2011, 09:46:15 AM »
I've been considering off and on getting a Ps3/Vita, but Sony's updated policy for PSN made my decision not to.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #840 on: September 16, 2011, 10:55:19 AM »
PC software isn't the problem. Its actually cheaper than console software most of the time. The problem is PC hardware. I can't afford a $1,000 or $2,000 computer. The one I have isn't good enough for gaming purposes. I did look into upgrading it, though, but I can't because the motherboard doesn't have a PCI Express 2.0 slot so I can't install the latest graphic cards.

You are doing something wrong if you think you need to spend $1000-$2000 to game on a PC.

I spent a little over $800 about 2 years ago to build this computer from scratch and it games just fine. If I was only upgrading, I could have done it for alot closer to only $400 since I wouldn't need a case, monitor, m/kb, PSU or HDD's.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: September 16, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »

You are doing something wrong if you think you need to spend $1000-$2000 to game on a PC.

I spent a little over $800 about 2 years ago to build this computer from scratch and it games just fine. If I was only upgrading, I could have done it for alot closer to only $400 since I wouldn't need a case, monitor, m/kb, PSU or HDD's.

I agree. You can get some great deals on Motherboards/Graphics cards/Memory/processors (the usual bottlenecks, although you might need a power supply too) in a lot of places. If you live near a Fry's, keep your eyes on their sales. If not, newegg is a great resource. You should be able to get a computer that outperforms the HD consoles for about $250 (since you're just upgrading, and don't need a monitor/case etc.). If you want to "future proof" your computer, $400 or so should be more than enough.

I have to admit, the one advantage to the consolization of the PC market is that they make upgrading less frequent than it was during the late 90's/early 2000's. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you can get.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: September 16, 2011, 09:26:31 PM »
"Power: Built-In Lithium-ion Battery: DC3.7V 2200mA, AC adaptor: DC 5V"

Lasts 3-5 hours for gameplay. :( Hopefully battery packs are available for this one as well. Sony has an official external one planned (price unannounced) but it's only 5K, I already have an 10K one but I'm going need somesort of adapter.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: September 16, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »

$2,000 would be a pretty top tier computer anymore. You may be pleased to find out that can actually build a very serviceable gaming rig for under $800... maybe even less depending on your exact needs, and that's talking new from the ground up. I don't know exactly what you have to work with, but you may even be able to upgrade what you have. There are still some cards to be found that don't require PCI Express. Whether or not they would be an upgrade from what you currently have is up for you to decide.

Spending hundreds of dollars every few months, always chasing the promise of that high-end GPU, was a myth widely propagated throughout the 90s. That myth holds even less water nowadays as graphical demands have largely leveled off due to everything being ported back and forth between PCs and consoles. PC gaming really is a more financially responsible route to take. You already need to own a computer for everyday things, you might as well put your console budget toward it and let it cover your gaming needs as well. And when the next generation of consoles come out, all you have to do is upgrade a few components to keep up. ;)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: September 16, 2011, 10:55:02 PM »
This computer I have now is a "budget" thing I got back in late 2009 for about $299 or so. I knew it wasn't going to be up to the task of gaming, but I figured I could upgrade it to make it work, but it turns out the motherboard in it is from 2006 which was before the PCI Express 2.0 thing came out so it doesn't have those ports.

So obviously I need a new mother board which means it wouldn't be a simple upgrade, and I've upgraded a few minor things here and there over the years but nothing that drastic. If I were to purchase a new motherboard is it going to work in this same case? Or am I going to have to get a new case? What about the PSU? See, these are the things I never dealt with before so I don't really know. If it was something simply like plugging in a graphic card or popping in new RAM I can do that and I have done that, but I don't know about this.
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: September 16, 2011, 11:12:45 PM »
You would have to ensure that the motherboard was the same form factor or smaller than that of the case (ATX, mini-ATX, etc). Just be careful going too much smaller, as higher-end video cards can sometimes stretch across an entire board and block access to things like SATA ports.

Tthe power supply would only need to meet the combined power draw of the system components while under stress. Primarily you should be concerned with the CPU and GPU, while taking things like the RAM and hard drive into account only after you've cleared the rest. If you pop the side of your case off, the power rating should be stamped right on the side of PSU. That will at least get you off to a good start as far as planning goes.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: September 16, 2011, 11:21:39 PM »
It sounds like he is better off building a new computer rather than to salvage parts from the old. Convert the old to a media PC/file server and use the existing peripherals for the new. The moment to purchase a new motherboard, it will more than likely start a domino effect rendering a majority of the parts unusable from incompatibility or speed or power requirements.

Since it's a budget PC, the PSU is more than likely isn't up to task of powering a GFX card even if you had the slot. It would eventually burn out taking the whole computer with it. The PSU is the only thing you can't skim on besides the motherboard.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: September 16, 2011, 11:50:51 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883109035

This is what I have to work with. Do you have any recommendations for this? Or should I just start from scratch?
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: September 16, 2011, 11:58:29 PM »
Nothing against PC gaming for those that enjoy it, but it's just not my thing.  I've had this laptop I'm currently on for 5 years now.  I'd like to play StarCraft II (my current PC can't run it), but for the moment a new PC would be an absurd luxury.  I'll just keep using this laptop until it finishes falling apart on me.

For me, the big draw to console gaming is that it's a standardized format.  A PS3 game will have the same performance on any PS3 it runs on, and ditto for the other platforms.  On the PC, though, performance can vary wildly from setup to setup, especially once you bring driver updates into the equation.  Plus, there's just a tactile and comfortable feeling to using a controller that I don't get with a keyboard and mouse.

As for the Vita, it's looking like the handheld will have a strong lineup out of the gate, though there really hasn't been any one game announced for it yet that I wouldn't just rather play on my PS3.  And the way that Sony's been going with the PSP, there's a fair chance some of the games I would play on it will be ported to the PS3 eventually (like Uncharted: Golden Abyss).  Right now, it's looking like I'd mainly get a Vita just to play my PSP games on a platform with more comfortable controls and Dualshock 3 support, and that's just not enough.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: September 17, 2011, 12:36:52 AM »
Nothing against PC gaming for those that enjoy it, but it's just not my thing.  I've had this laptop I'm currently on for 5 years now.  I'd like to play StarCraft II (my current PC can't run it), but for the moment a new PC would be an absurd luxury.  I'll just keep using this laptop until it finishes falling apart on me.

For me, the big draw to console gaming is that it's a standardized format.  A PS3 game will have the same performance on any PS3 it runs on, and ditto for the other platforms.  On the PC, though, performance can vary wildly from setup to setup, especially once you bring driver updates into the equation.  Plus, there's just a tactile and comfortable feeling to using a controller that I don't get with a keyboard and mouse.

As for the Vita, it's looking like the handheld will have a strong lineup out of the gate, though there really hasn't been any one game announced for it yet that I wouldn't just rather play on my PS3.  And the way that Sony's been going with the PSP, there's a fair chance some of the games I would play on it will be ported to the PS3 eventually (like Uncharted: Golden Abyss).  Right now, it's looking like I'd mainly get a Vita just to play my PSP games on a platform with more comfortable controls and Dualshock 3 support, and that's just not enough.

PC gaming has slowed down quite a big in regards to system requirements. My PC is 2 or 3 years old and it still holds up very well. Also nothing says you can't buy a controller for the PC, including an Xbox one for it. While I enjoy consoles, PC has a lot to offer too especially when it comes to the mod community, many games live through the community YEARS after they are released.

Anyway that is completely off topic. I doubt I'm buying a PS Vita, I wasn't a big fan of the PSP, and I see little reason to buy this one. My complaint about the PSP was that it felt like PS2 Mini, I am getting the same vibe here.  Who knows though maybe down the line I will get one, but at the moment I am not that interested.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144