Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 266712 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP
« Reply #800 on: September 14, 2011, 11:02:11 AM »
I don't see any point in owning a Vita, unless its a homebrew friendly system likes its predecessor. All the Vita is is a portable PS3, basically. I'm sure 90% of the "exclusive" Vita games will eventually find their way ported over to either the PS3 or PS4. That's certainly how it has been with the PSP anyway. I've seen quite a number of games that were originally exclusive to the PSP get ported over to the PS3 and with HD graphics and stuff, so the PS3 ended up getting a better version so why play it on the PSP at all other than for the portability? If the Vita is like that too then you might as well pass on it.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 14, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
The Vita seems to have more control options then the PS3  does in any one configuration.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 14, 2011, 11:21:54 AM »
I love buying new hardware but Vita is a pass for me, at least until the 2nd revision when they hopefully fix that atrocious battery life. Even then, as I've said before, I feel like I already own a Vita, it just comes in a larger box and connects to my tv via HDMI.

Sony announced 26 launch games (some aren't actually games) and over 100 games being worked on by 3rd parties. Most of the notable ones are coming to PS3 or most likely will. I'd bet on the HD versions of MGS and FFX. In fact, I believe Square Enix already announced that FFX is also coming to PS3. I have no reason to buy new hardware to play these games especially when they're coming to PS3 and I can play them anyway and more comfortably.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 14, 2011, 11:39:38 AM »
The Vita is going to have a tough time because it doesn't have the benefit of BC with UMD. DS games work with the 3DS without a problem, but you can't say the same for PSP games on the Vita. Not that anyone really bought PSP games anyway, but still...
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 14, 2011, 11:49:10 AM »
I don't think backwards compatibility is really an issue. The problem is that most Vita games are available on better, cheaper systems and I'm not sure portability is a real selling point since many of those games are console games and people would rather play it on a tv. Sony is going to have a hard time convincing people otherwise especially if Vita "exclusives" find their way onto PS3/PS4.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 14, 2011, 12:09:41 PM »
I don't think backwards compatibility is really an issue. The problem is that most Vita games are available on better, cheaper systems and I'm not sure portability is a real selling point since many of those games are console games and people would rather play it on a tv. Sony is going to have a hard time convincing people otherwise especially if Vita "exclusives" find their way onto PS3/PS4.
The conference made it sound like there be a lot of games where the PS3 version be for Vita and the PS3.  Like getting the Blu-ray of a movie that comes with the Digital and DVD copy.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 14, 2011, 12:50:32 PM »
And those versions cost extra. F that noise.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 14, 2011, 01:10:58 PM »
And those versions cost extra. F that noise.
They don't cost that much extra if at all.  Some companies that's the only way they release Blu-Ray.

Offline Yuusha

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 14, 2011, 01:20:39 PM »
I believe Sony's new handheld should be called the Portstation Vita.

I saw mostly ports and remakes from Sony's conference.It was sad.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 14, 2011, 01:25:02 PM »
I believe Sony's new handheld should be called the Portstation Vita.

I saw mostly ports and remakes from Sony's conference.It was sad.
Just following the Handheld Leader... Oh Wait...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: September 14, 2011, 02:23:25 PM »
I think you're missing my point. I don't care how much more extra is costs. I care THAT it costs extra. I imagine the game bundle will cost more because Vita cards just cost more to manufacture. If companies insist on packaging them together and charging more, I'll wait until it goes on sale. Unless I can get something for the price I'm comfortable paying, I'm okay not giving a company my money. I don't want to pay a premium for something I don't want (Vita version).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: September 14, 2011, 02:40:25 PM »
Ok, so I just looked at the Vita battery stats and it's 3-5 hours, if your offline, no 3G/Wifi, default screen brightness, headphones, no bluetooth and a non-system taxing game.

So chances are that if you turn on any of those things, while playing a pretty intense game, it could take you longer to charge the unit (2hr40min) that it will for you to completely drain it. And that is with a battery that is almost 1000 mAh more than the 3DS (1300 mAh).

That means that in a realistic play setting while on the go, you are looking at anywhere from 1.5hrs to 3.5hrs of Vita usage between full charges.

edit: And then on top of that, the memory card isn't included (in Japan so far) and cost alot more than a standard SD card.
Memory card 4GB December 17, 2011 ¥2,200 ($29)
Memory card 8GB December 17, 2011 ¥3,200 ($42)
Memory card 16GB December 17, 2011 ¥5,500 ($72)
Memory card 32GB December 17, 2011 ¥9,500 ($124)

Considering that 2200 yen for a 4GB card is close to $30 US dollars, where you can get a 4GB SD card for $5-$10, I'm not sure how well that is gonna go over.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:49:25 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: September 14, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »
I think it has a good store of internal memory but, I haven't seen the stats recently.

I think you're missing my point. I don't care how much more extra is costs. I care THAT it costs extra. I imagine the game bundle will cost more because Vita cards just cost more to manufacture. If companies insist on packaging them together and charging more, I'll wait until it goes on sale. Unless I can get something for the price I'm comfortable paying, I'm okay not giving a company my money. I don't want to pay a premium for something I don't want (Vita version).
lol.  You haven't been watching the PSP scene have you?  PSP Go says high.  They wouldn't pack in a Vita card.  It be a digital transfer from your PS3.  Heck you can even buy new PS3 games digitally now.  Monster Hunter Portable 3rd <whatever the vita version is> has been said to be a digital download.  Another point is that Sony more then likely will not charge a cent more for it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: September 14, 2011, 03:31:14 PM »
Okay, assuming that's the case, that still doesn't give me a reason to buy a Vita in the first place. I'm not going to spend $250 to play a game I can already play on a system I already own. That's not even counting all the memory sticks I'd need to save all of those downloads. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll stick to playing my PS3.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:33:23 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: September 14, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »
There is no internal Memory on the PSVita

game saves are most of the time stored directly to the game card, but some games require an additional memcard for saving.
<Reference: About Saving Game’s Saved Data>
Some PS Vita software titles may require the use of separately sold memory card for saving game’s saved data while some software titles are capable of saving it on to the PS Vita card itself. Please refer to the PS Vita game packages or game manuals for further details.

PSN downloads require a Mem card for saving.

So if you plan on using your PSN account on your Vita, then you are gonna be paying at minimum $280 (wifi + 4GB) or $330 (3G+4GB) + $27 for data contract fee (=$357) and then anywhere from $17mo(20 hr pre-paid) or $65mo(100hr pre-paid) to continue that contract after the first month.
and as much as $425 (3G + 32GB)+ wireless plan ($27 contract fee) = $452

and you haven't even bought a game yet....[/quote]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:34:23 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: September 14, 2011, 03:58:06 PM »
There is no internal Memory on the PSVita

game saves are most of the time stored directly to the game card, but some games require an additional memcard for saving.
<Reference: About Saving Game’s Saved Data>
Some PS Vita software titles may require the use of separately sold memory card for saving game’s saved data while some software titles are capable of saving it on to the PS Vita card itself. Please refer to the PS Vita game packages or game manuals for further details.

PSN downloads require a Mem card for saving.

So if you plan on using your PSN account on your Vita, then you are gonna be paying at minimum $280 (wifi + 4GB) or $330 (3G+4GB) + $27 for data contract fee (=$357) and then anywhere from $17mo(20 hr pre-paid) or $65mo(100hr pre-paid) to continue that contract after the first month.
and as much as $425 (3G + 32GB)+ wireless plan ($27 contract fee) = $452

and you haven't even bought a game yet....
[/quote]
The original specs had 16gigs of internal memory.  Doesn't really makes much sense for them to got with there own format of memory card again and want to hit the download side of things.  Either way Sony really aren't setting themselves up for success with this system.  At least its suppose to have 100 launch window games and 26 day one.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 14, 2011, 04:25:09 PM »
26 pieces of launch software, I'm not sure if all of them are games.

and that 16GB internal got removed when they cut the RAM down when they decided to try and match the 3DS price. The RAM was put back, but the internal mem stayed scrapped infavor of proprietary mem cards only.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:54:42 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: September 14, 2011, 04:46:49 PM »
They should have just let people use SD cards or something. Once again Sony invents another dead end proprietary media format which isn't going to go anywhere just like UMD and a dozen other things. The funny thing about UMD was it stood for "Universal Media Disc", but Universal how? Only one device ever used it. Its almost laughable.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:56:04 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 14, 2011, 05:08:35 PM »
I beat BlackNMild2k1 to news twice in this thread alone. Everything is coming up Milhouse!

Adrock: 2, BnM: 6854298751

CLOSING THE GAP!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 14, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »
I saw it when you posted it too, but I didn't really read what it was all about until I was fully awake.

I was kinda hopeful for Vita, but those mem card prices are quite steep.
I'm sure that the general public won't mind (see Xbox HDD, controllers and wireless adapter prices), but I'm not even entertaining the thought of paying those prices (not that I was gonna buy a Vita anyway) when I know SD cards are a fraction of the price for the same capacity and probably similar speed.

I know Sony need to make up any potential losses from the initial Vita price, and you're kinda stuck after you already made the purchase and then realize you need an expensive mem card, but i thought we put those kinda things behind us already. I see PSN sales hurting due to expensive storage options.

I'm sure someone will have a Vita->SDmicro adapter that fits in that card slot soon after launch though. So that may be one way around it.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: September 14, 2011, 07:07:26 PM »
Wait, are they actually going with a proprietary Vita memory card format and not Memory Stick?  Not that there's much practical difference for most people, but still.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #821 on: September 14, 2011, 07:13:48 PM »
I bought a 16GB class 10 microSD for $25 (CANADIAN) last month, and Sony wants me to pay $70?

Ninja, plz. BnM better be right about the microSD adapter, because otherwise that investment is going to push me out of the Vita until a price drop on both the memory and the main unit. (My plan was to make up for the usual launch dreck by grabbing PSP stuff off PSN that would total 11.7 GB.)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: September 14, 2011, 09:39:46 PM »
I saw some pics of the cards and i'm not sure an adapter is even possible. The storage card its about the same size as an SD micro

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 14, 2011, 10:39:21 PM »
Last night was such a waste of time. Didn't even finish the presentation (which was pretty embarrassing at points) but from what I read today I didn't miss much at all. As a piece of tech the PS Vita is nice but I don't think I'll be getting one at launch or even near launch now. I do most of my handheld gaming at home but even for me the battery life is bad. The list of games already had nothing I was really that interested in and it's still that way.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: September 14, 2011, 11:17:03 PM »
I saw some pics of the cards and i'm not sure an adapter is even possible. The storage card its about the same size as an SD micro

It would still be possible, it just would stick out a lot.
is your sanity...