Author Topic: DS Lite to be Discontinued?  (Read 5151 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: DS Lite to be Discontinued?
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 09:51:06 PM »
GBA slot accessories.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 09:52:42 PM »
Because the DSi price is higher than the Lite, so they offer two different models at different price points. It's similar to the different versions they (used to?) offer with the PS3 and XBox 360 at different prices.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 10:00:36 PM »
My guess was a big reason Nintendo dropped the Phat like a stone is because of how they were trying to go after mature audiences...
No, it was the same reason they stopped producing the original GBA when the SP model came out: the Lite was better in every way so there was no reason to continue selling the original model.

The DSi/XL was better than the DS lite in every way, so how come they didn't drop DS lite production until only now? The plug on the Phat model was pulled almost immediately after the Lite came out, but its been about 3 years since the DSi came out until now. So why did Lite production continue on this long whereas Phat production ended so abruptly?

I'd say there was one main factor for the DS Lite's longevity in light of the DSi/XL.It had  GBA support where as the DSi didn't. Plus the DS Lite was a better model than the Phat.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
I would still be using my at Launch DS Phat today if the touch portion of the touch screen hadn't gone out when I went to play the first Professor Layton.  I had my wife pick me up a lite on the way home so I could play it.  The XL was what I was really holding out for even before I knew it existed.  Though I ended up getting the 3DS for DSiWare and like...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 06:50:44 AM »
With DSi and DSiXL still out there, they are still three pillars strong for the time being.

Even more reason NOT to announce a new system, because then they  will be at four pillars, and that would be silly.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 04:23:17 PM »
With DSi and DSiXL still out there, they are still three pillars strong for the time being.

Even more reason NOT to announce a new system, because then they  will be at four pillars, and that would be silly.

No. The 3DS is backwards compatible with those systems, so they don't offer anything different. What was special with the DS Lite was what it retained GBA support and was the last handheld to do so. Now that its gone they are down to two pillars, not three.
is your sanity...