Author Topic: Defecting to the Enemy Camp  (Read 33085 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Defecting to the Enemy Camp
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 11:48:54 AM »
It feels like a 'system for grownups' - it's a serious system that never feels like it's limiting you.

You're going to rue the day you ever said this on these boards.

But my biggest surprise is the innovative games that are available.  I haven't owned a non-nintendo system since my Atari 2600, and I've been under the assumption that Nintendo made innovative games, and the rest were either copycats or just pretty graphics with no gameplay.  I've been amazed by the titles available on PSN... quirky titles like the Pixel Junk series, hardcore shooters like SSHD, demos, trailers, significant content update every week... this is what I longed for in the Virtual Console or Wii Ware that has not been fulfilled.

This is what I've been saying for a while.  The general opinon around here is that Nintendo are the ONLY ones that do ANYTHING innovative, and Microsoft and Sony are blatant copycats that do nothing new, and just bite off of Nintendo concepts.  This is completely wrong.  There are several games exclusive to PSN that Nintendo fans would hail as the best thing since sliced bread if they were on Wii (PixelJunk Eden, Echochrome, Super Stardust HD, Everyday Shooter, The Last Guy, etc.).  But of course, they're on PS3 so they're derivative junk, right?  Right.

Every company innovates.  They just do it in different ways.  Nintendo innovates with their input devices, giving people new ways to interact with games; Microsoft innovates on the networking side, creating new social communities for gamers to be a part of; Sony innovates on the hardware side, pushing technological boundaries and giving gamers new ways to connect and use their products and games.  They're all great in their own ways.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 11:55:47 AM »
PS3 is about as grownup as Image comics circa 1992.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 12:06:04 PM »
What's the big deal with SSDHD? I've played SSD back in the day but it didn't strike me as something that needs to be mentioned that much.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 01:38:50 PM »
God of War 3 is a huge question mark, I don't even think Jaffe the creator of the GoW1 and 2 even has anything to do with it.

Jaffe was minimally involved with GoW2, and it turned out great.  That is to say, it's a fun and very safe sequel.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 02:01:18 PM »
I won't go on and on, but I have been really impressed by the PS3 and the PSN.  I know it's a small thing but storing the credit card and having it ready to go is so much simpler then the Wii reentering game.  It feels like a 'system for grownups' - it's a serious system that never feels like it's limiting you.

Yep, having your credit card information stored on a machine with readily available internet access sounds great! Not a risk factor in sight...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 02:08:38 PM »
Defecating on the Enemy Crab
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 02:26:32 PM »
Jaffe was minimally involved with GoW2, and it turned out great.  That is to say, it's a fun and very safe sequel.

I don't get it, is GoW really so extraordinarily fun that it warrants GOTY nomination? Because it seemed like a fairly average game to me.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 03:44:37 PM »
I was recently given an opportunity too good to pass up: a ridiculously cheap, 6-month old, 40 gig PS3 words words words

To be honest, this was where I tuned out. Perhaps its because I didn't need to hear another person justify their latest console choice to the general public. Perhaps it was because I already knew most of this, and given I haven't "drunk the Kool-aid" that doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the outside world.

All I know is words are cheap in the grand scheme of things.

stop name-dropping third party sequels in your posts, we know "Game Franchise (X+1)" is on its way

This is why, in a way, I feel kinda bad for ragging on Halbred, while feeling my thoughts are justified.

People have the right to buy whatever they want under whatever circumstance. Its their money, they have the right to do so. In Hal's case, there were some games he wanted to play on the PS3, and he's happy with the purchase. Nothing wrong with that.

But what rubs me the wrong way about the thread is that this WAS made to justify the purchase to the world, rattle the Hornet's nest and claim superiority. When I say rattle the hornet's nest I mean that ever since E3 ended its cool to hate Nintendo, rag on the company, feel disgust and claim that the grass is much greener on the MS and Sony sides.

This thread would have been fine had it not been for the Nintendo claims. Like I said, people have the freedom to buy whatever they want, and if Hal wanted to chronicle the purchase and the games he enjoyed, fine. He just did a bad job at it by dropping Nintendo angst and frankly some poor arguments.

I admit that this is yet another case of "killing a mockingbird", especially since this mockingbird just wanted to sing a happy song. But the thread has some than enough points to argue against, and frankly the Nintendo angst is getting old.

Buy a PS3 or a 360, or a PSP or upgrade your computer and play the games YOU want and stop letting a material posession dictate what your current state of mind is.

We know we live in a shallow era when the reason people buy a console is because it makes them more mature...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 03:52:10 PM »
You know a company is innovative when people have to use low-budget, downloadable games to prove their point. Seriously, if anyone claims that graphical hardware and cramming multimedia stuff into their device is "innovative" then I can do nothing but shake my head :(. Nvidia is obviously the most innovative company EVER then next to ATI because they are constantly creating better hardware!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:55:59 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 04:16:05 PM »
Okay, ultimate point against Nintendo for me personally is this:

I think the Big N has really dropped the ball in general this generation in regards to its "hardcore" audience. They gave us Smash Bros., but f*cked up the online play. They f*cked it up bad, but didn't say a word about it. If anything, they denied it was a problem.
They gave us Mario Kart, and it was great, but the single-player game was really hit or miss. It was kind of the opposite of Smash Bros: Great online, questionable single-player content.
They gave us Mario Galaxy, which is still the best Nintendo game on the platform. I have NO bad things to say about Mario Galaxy. I love that game.

All of my other Wii games are from third parties. Capcom and Sega, mainly. Umbrella Chronicles, RE4, and House o' the Dead.

And what's Nintendo got up its sleeve this coming quarter? Wii Sports 2, Wii Music, and an updated port of an ancient SNES sidescroller. These are not fun times for the Nintendo faithful. Oh, sure, they're working on a new Zelda and a new Mario. News flash: We've seen ONE core Mario game and at most ONE core Zelda game for every Nintendo console since the SNES.

SNES: Super Mario World, Link to the Past (Yoshi's Island doesn't count)
N64: Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time (Majora used the same engine)
GC: Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker
Wii: Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess

I am NOT holding my breath for a new Mario or a new Zelda game on the Wii. I'm sorry, I know I'm being pessimistic, but past behavior is the greatest indicator of future behavior.

Meanwhile, for ME PERSONALLY, Sony has jumped in and stole all the marbles. Bioshock, R&C, SoulCalibur IV, Call of Duty 4, God of War 3, Tomb Raider: Underworld, and a host of other games have sparked my interest for the coming months.

Here's my question: God of War 3 didn't get a gameplay trailer at E3. It got a CG teaser. We know it's in development, we're excited about it. If the Mario & Zelda teams are working on games, why not throw us a freaking teaser bone? A teaser works much better than the spoken word. Hell, Nintendo would have just showed us the word ZELDA in plain white letters on a black background and the crowd would have erupted, and we would have, too.

But that didn't happen, so I remain indifferent right now. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of my PS3.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:17:48 PM by Halbred »
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 04:20:25 PM »
Meanwhile, for ME PERSONALLY, Sony has jumped in and stole all the marbles. Bioshock, R&C, SoulCalibur IV, Call of Duty 4, God of War 3, Tomb Raider: Underworld, and a host of other games have sparked my interest for the coming months.

Besides R&C and GoW3 all those are multiplatform so Sony didn't steal anything. Personally I'm looking forward to Deadly Creatures, Wario Land (Updated port of an ancient SNES side scroller? OMG talk about silly statements! Besides was Wario Land even on SNES? If so I MUST buy it!), Viva Pinata 2, Too Human, deBlob, and maybe mixed with some of those multiplatform games. But to give Sony any credit for multiplatform games is silly. Also I didn't realize anyone got excited for Tomb Raider games anymore since they are so hit and miss.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:30:54 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
Meh...you should've gotten a 360.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 04:26:38 PM »
Meh...you should've gotten a 360.

I approve of this statement.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2008, 04:30:55 PM »
You know a company is innovative when people have to use low-budget, downloadable games to prove their point. Seriously, if anyone claims that graphical hardware and cramming multimedia stuff into their device is "innovative" then I can do nothing but shake my head :(. Nvidia is obviously the most innovative company EVER then next to ATI because they are constantly creating better hardware!

No, I don't have to use "low-budget, downloadable games" to prove my point - but I did.  When Mega Man 9 was thought to be a WiiWare exclusive, everybody was acting like it was a stroke of genius and further proof of Nintendo's unbridled innovation.  Meanwhile, games much better than Mega Man 9 are released on PSN and Xbox Live Arcade on a regular basis, but Sony and Microsoft are branded as copycats for whatever reason.

However, I feel like we've went over all of this before.  Just the fact that somebody used the phrase "grown-up" to describe the PS3 indicates that this thread will slowly degenerate into DEFINITION WARZ all over again.

All I can say is that Nintendo does not have the market cornered on innovation, but neither do Sony and Microsoft either.  Every company has made its share of idiotic decisions, but at this point every console at least has something for everybody which pleases me overall.

I'm just so tired of all the console war bitching and whining on these forums, probably because I've been a part of a lot of it and I'm tired of it.  It gets us nowhere.

/rant
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2008, 04:33:36 PM »
When Mega Man 9 was thought to be a WiiWare exclusive, everybody was acting like it was a stroke of genius and further proof of Nintendo's unbridled innovation.

Um, where exactly did this happen? I don't think anyone thought Nintendo had anything to do with the development of Mega Man 9? The only thing I heard is that it could pave the way for more new "8 bit games". Personally I was disappointed in the choice of 8 bit visuals so it sure wasn't me even if I thought it was "unique". But unique does not always mean it is great.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2008, 04:35:08 PM »
Tomb Raider Legend and Anniversary were fantastic games. You should try Anniversary on the Wii, at least. From what I've read, it's actually better than the PS2 original.

The PS3 Bioshock is getting exclusive content, which makes me happy, but I concede that Call of Duty 4 and SoulCalibur are also on the 360. But when it comes down to it, and again this is personal taste, I prefer Sony's unique brands (R&C, GoW) over Microsoft's (Halo).

And I'm not talking about Wario Land, I'm talking about Kirby's Ultra Star. Wario Land is not NEARLY as fun as a straight-up Mario game. Hell, I would pay more money sooner for an upgraded Mario Land 2 than Wario Land, but that's just me.

EDITZ: Lindy is right. Each console brings something unique to the table. If it were up to me, I'd own all three. Sadly, my wallet and bank account do not allow such a luxary. I chose the PS3 because it was cheap and I love its exclusives. If my brother had offered my his 360, I probably would have bought it for Dead or Alive Xtreme 2.

Probably.

Bewbies.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2008, 04:38:14 PM »
I have Tomb Raider Anniversary for PC, and it is a good game but the series still is hit and miss which is too bad. Bioshock is another game I have on the PC, and I doubt I could ever play it on a console even with added content but MAYBE they will give PC owners that content!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2008, 04:44:11 PM »
I am NOT holding my breath for a new Mario or a new Zelda game on the Wii. I'm sorry, I know I'm being pessimistic, but past behavior is the greatest indicator of future behavior.

I figure a new Mario isn't going to arrive any time soon but I do think we'll get another Zelda.  Twilight Princess is a Gamecube game.  Surely Nintendo wants to make a Zelda entirely for the Wii from the ground up.  Though I agree the vague confirmation that the Mario and Zelda teams are working on something means nothing at all.  Of course the TEAMS are working on something.  What is Nintendo going to pay them to sit around and do nothing?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2008, 04:56:20 PM »
I'm just so tired of all the console war bitching and whining on these forums, probably because I've been a part of a lot of it and I'm tired of it.  It gets us nowhere.

Because it is so much fun!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2008, 09:31:44 PM »
What is Nintendo going to pay them to sit around and do nothing?

For all we know, the Mario and Zelda teams are working on their tans, and come next time Nintendo has another public showing, will show nothing, with Reggie pointing his finger to the press saying "I said they were working on something, I didn't say they were making games!"  :P

Anway, you got a good deal Halbred. There's no denying that. If Sony offered the PS3 for 300, I'm sure many more will want to 'play beyond.'
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2008, 11:36:58 PM »
Nvidia is obviously the most innovative company EVER then next to ATI because they are constantly creating better hardware!

While not particuarly innovative, Nvidia has always been better than ATI... ATI has crap drivers, even if I would have rather dealt with them as opposed to my 3DFX Voodoo back in the day. :P

I chose the PS3 because it was cheap

You sure do have a funny idea of how economics work.

Bioshock is another game I have on the PC, and I doubt I could ever play it on a console even with added content but MAYBE they will give PC owners that content!

I'd imagine that if not officially released at some point, the extra content will at least be hacked and released by the community. Thank Cthulhu for PCs! ;)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2008, 02:15:08 AM »
You've used a sample size of three systems, two of which had a second Zelda (TP was planned for the GC after all, showing that 2 Zeldas doesn't contradict any Nintendo strategies) and you claim there are never two Zeldas on one system?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2008, 03:52:42 AM »
I have free access to a PS3 but i'll probably never play it again.

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2008, 08:01:57 AM »

You're going to rue the day you ever said this on these boards.

Sorry, that sounds more incendiary then I meant it.  Not sure I can improve what I meant without stepping into it deeper, though.  It's a feeling that I did not expect though, that's for sure.

Every company innovates.  ... They're all great in their own ways.

True!  (though I still hate XBox.  You've got to have at least one console to hate, right?  :)

Seriously, I guess that I'm glad I've gone multiplatform and can appreciate more of the great gaming that is out there.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2008, 02:30:06 PM »
SNES: Super Mario World, Link to the Past (Yoshi's Island doesn't count)

What what WHAT?!?

You, sir, have made an enemy.  Apologize this very instant.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!