Author Topic: iPad...meh  (Read 69843 times)

Offline SilverGrey

• GP replacement
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: iPad...meh
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »
It sucks, stop trying to make it seem cool. It sucks. There was all this build-up, and ransom for photos, and then it turns out to be this piece of crap, underwhelming and disappointing everyone who thought they had an idea about what it was going to be. It was supposed to be Apple's "tablet PC," but it fails to fill those shoes, miserably.

This is how I feel.  The people who do like it seem to be saying 'you just need to change your expectations, then it's really good!' But why should I have to change my expectations?  I have expectations, they are not met by this device.  I have yet to meet (or read of) anyone whose expectations actually were met by the iPad.  I'm sure they do exist, but I refuse to change my expectations so that I see the iPad in a more positive light.  If Apple wants my money, they have to do better then this.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2010, 08:45:01 PM »
First of all, all the people who got hyped up based on what tech blogs were gossiping about deserve to be disappointed.  Second of all, you don't have buy it in order for it to have value or be a good device.  Perhaps you're not the target demographic.  I don't want the iPhone but that doesn't mean it's a terrible device.  I don't want a convertible either.  Or a dog.  Do none of these things have value?

My comment about developing the right mindset was not about trying to change anyone's mind about purchasing an iPad.  I'm not going to buy the thing either, and likewise if it doesn't meet your needs you have a right to be disappointed because you (perhaps foolishly) expected something more.  That is not the same thing as the iPad being a terrible device.

I guess technically it's all subjective and to YOU it's a worthless piece of ****, but all of the mindless iPad bashing on the internet is frustrating.  People somehow got it into their mind that Apple was releasing a product that met THEIR specific desires, when in reality the company said nothing about it at all.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2010, 09:07:48 PM »
It's not mindless bashing, it's legitimate criticism of an underwhelming device that didn't live up to anyone's expectations. It's not the internet community's fault that Apple hid this piece of crap to build suspense and then delivered a giant iPod Touch instead of an actual Tablet.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »
I'm sorry that I happen to like something that you don't like.

It is a big iPhone, but isn't an iPhone, in a lot of ways, a small tablet? I'd rather have a bigger, better iPhone than a smaller, dumbed-down PC. Apple did build up an enormous amount of hype for something that is not, at least in its present state, the revolutionary device they promised. It is, however, not a bad piece of hardware, and one that has legitimate uses and markets.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2010, 05:38:40 PM »
I found this interesting--Apple can build a $500 iPad for $240.

Based solely on parts and manufacturing, iSuppli estimates that Apple's mark-up ranges from 117% for the low end unit to 147% for the high. The most profitable model would appear to be the mid-range, 3G-ready 32-GB iPad, with a sticker price of $729 and an estimated manufacturing cost of $287.15.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2010, 05:41:57 PM »
...Makes you wonder what the mark-up on an iPhone might be.

Regardless, I think the average consumer can pretty much see that this type of mark-up is there, which is part of why they don't care so much for it, but we'll see.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2010, 07:00:30 PM »
Which is why I already don't buy apple products.
Apple tax is very presumptuous of them, like Square tax on video games.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
Or Nintendo tax on systems?  ;)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2010, 10:09:52 PM »
...Makes you wonder what the mark-up on an iPhone might be.

The iPhone that sells for $199 actually costs Apple $178. That seems very reasonable, until you remember that $200 is the price after you factor in AT&T's subsidy for the 2 year contract.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 10:14:27 PM by insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2010, 10:39:15 PM »
Apple *really* sells the iPhone (16GB) for $599 (without a contract), so that's technically a $421 markup, which is ridiculous. It's the same for most cell phones, though.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2010, 01:51:47 AM »
It's not mindless bashing, it's legitimate criticism of an underwhelming device that didn't live up to anyone's expectations. It's not the internet community's fault that Apple hid this piece of crap to build suspense and then delivered a giant iPod Touch instead of an actual Tablet.

If that's true, then it's not the device's fault. The device is fine. It's the false promises that were made before that are the problem, and thus THOSE are what should be criticized.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2010, 01:59:58 AM »
Nah, Apple never made any promises about it.  There was rampant speculation before, as well as tons of media hype, but no real announcements from Apple.

What's Apple's fault?  Making a device that's just a large iPhone, in essence, in a market that has numerous other products out there which can do just as much, if not more, and not only that, do all that better than the iPad can.  Truthfully, it's the same case as what happened with Apple and the iPod, except this time, bigger companies have entered the field before Apple did, and more of the interested consumers are informed better.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2010, 06:50:38 AM »
I'm sorry that I happen to like something that you don't like.

It is a big iPhone, but isn't an iPhone, in a lot of ways, a small tablet? I'd rather have a bigger, better iPhone than a smaller, dumbed-down PC. Apple did build up an enormous amount of hype for something that is not, at least in its present state, the revolutionary device they promised. It is, however, not a bad piece of hardware, and one that has legitimate uses and markets.

I'm glad you like it and it serves your needs.

I had a good think about it and while it looks good and everything, I don't see how this has the potential to be disruptive like Wii and DS and carve out something new and bold, or replace existing devices I have like a netbook.

It fills a hole that doesn't really need filling. If it was a special Mac OSX iPad Edition then it would have been much MUCH better value.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2010, 11:47:14 PM »
That's what I'm saying. The price tag is absolutely disgusting, and it seems to be like a very un-needed (by anyone) product. Apple is all about simplicity, but come on, make a product that actually brings something new to the table.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2010, 12:05:50 AM »
It's not revolutionary like the iPhone was, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that there's no market for it. And I don't get how it doesn't bring anything new to the table; it's essentially a big iPhone, but like I said to Lindy on Twitter, if the screen you're looking at right now quadrupled in size, wouldn't that change the way you used it significantly?

I know I'd rather have one of these than a hypothetical netbook running OS X, and I'd probably rather have this than a ModBook, as well. I'd prefer more Mac elements than what we got, but this sounds good to me.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 12:14:19 AM by insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2010, 06:00:14 PM »
Here is the one thing that makes iPad kinda interesting now
http://www.slingbox.com/go/iphone

basically, streaming all your tv and whatever to your iPhone/Pad whenever and where ever you are through your 3G/WiFi connection. Now you never have to miss the game whether you're in the bathroom or on the road. Unfortunately you are still tied to AT&T, but not much you can do about that at the moment.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2010, 10:59:49 AM »
You can already do that on any laptop or cell phone. The iPhone is hardly revolutionary, there have been touchscreen phones that play movies and MP3s for several years now, only most of them don't lock you down to one carrier and their own music management software.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2010, 11:56:28 AM »
That's like saying the Wii wasn't revolutionary because accelerometers and IR pointers existed long before it. The tech itself wasn't revolutionary, what it did to the market was. Every phone in the last two years has been a response to the iPhone; you can't argue that it wasn't revolutionary.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2010, 02:31:37 PM »
No, it's not like saying that at all. If there was a gaming console that used accelerometers and IR pointers before the Wii, then that would be a valid comparison. The iPhone wasn't the first *phone* to have a touch screen, play MP3s, play movies, have games, etc, etc. Lots of people bought it, that's the only thing I can't argue with.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2010, 03:28:48 PM »
Yeah, it wasn't the greatest analogy. I should have gone with the iPod not being the first digital music player, or iTunes not being the first digital download music store, or Super Mario 64 not being the first 3D platformer. My second point still stands, though: every phone since the iPhone has been a response to the iPhone. The Droid or the Nexus One wouldn't exist, at least not like they currently do, without the iPhone. It revolutionized the smartphone market despite not really doing much that hadn't been done before.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2010, 03:43:51 PM »
I wouldn't say that exactly. Sure there have been a lot of iPhone-ish phones, but just because a phone has a big touchscreen and is very internet and media friendly, doesn't mean it's inspired by the iPhone or as a result of it's success. Android phones are very different than the iPhone, especially the Droid. The ipod definitely revolutionized the way people listen to music, the iPhone is just very popular and didn't really bring anything new to the table, besides the (cr)app store.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2010, 08:52:36 PM »
You can already do that on any laptop or cell phone. The iPhone is hardly revolutionary, there have been touchscreen phones that play movies and MP3s for several years now, only most of them don't lock you down to one carrier and their own music management software.

You could say the same thing about the ipod, which clearly revolutionized mp3 players and people actually paying for digital albums.  At the time, other lesser known products did the same thing.  Some better and cheaper.  But its all about style and usability.  And once the ipod hit, the masses saw an irresistible reason to drop their humongous cd binders and go digital.  The same thing happened with the iphone.  Millions of people like me who hated navigating cell phones, in spite of their features, fell in love with the iphone.

I'm not saying the same will happen with the iPad, just making the point that both the iphone and ipod pulled it off.

Edit:  I should have finished the thread, looks like Insanolord already touched on the same thing. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:54:16 PM by D_Average »
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2010, 10:58:26 PM »
I said the same thing too, just not in the same way. iPod - **** tons of people bought MP3 players for the first time, iPhone - everyone on the planet already owned a cell phone.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2010, 11:20:11 PM »
People owned cell phones, but not smart phones. The iPhone was the beginning of smart phone use by normal, non business people.

J.P. Corbran

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2010, 09:39:51 AM »
People owned cell phones, but not smart phones. The iPhone was the beginning of smart phone use by normal, non business people.

Exactly.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....