Author Topic: iPad...meh  (Read 69621 times)

Offline SilverGrey

• GP replacement
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: iPad...meh
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2010, 04:55:50 PM »
I'm disappointed because it doesn't exactly meet the needs of anything.

This too....

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2010, 05:01:19 PM »
exactly...

I will say this though. I would love to have this on a long flight even without a dvd drive.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »
I should start a new trend...

Clip an iPad to your belt in a manner that let's the screen be visible to everyone,and just play music videos on it, without looking, with my headphones on.

It'll be like when "ballers" keep the monitor on the back of their headrest on when no ones in the backseat ;)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2010, 08:15:08 PM »
Hell no. you gotta hand it from a platinum chain, and every now and then a screen saver will pop up that is a giant analog clock. You must wear this with oversized glasses, low hanging baggy jeans and a platinum grill (diamonds optional).

you should just add to the current trend.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2010, 09:04:40 PM »
Hell no. you gotta hand it from a platinum chain, and every now and then a screen saver will pop up that is a giant analog clock. You must wear this with oversized glasses, low hanging baggy jeans and a platinum grill (diamonds optional).

you should just add to the current trend.

I'm sorry, i dont know what the current trend is. Your suggestion would make me look like Flavor Flav.. which I have to problems with! I'm sure theres plenty of Analog clock apps for the stupid thing too ;)
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2010, 10:38:24 PM »
@insano:

What I meant was later on adding features when the technology and price were more feasable but only to certain models. It makes much more sense for me to want to rebuy a 160gb iPod Classic (should I lose or damage my current one) that comes with a camera feature over a 16gb iPod Nano, right? Hell the Classic used to be the iPod photo then video, so why can't they make it TAKE photos and videos than just viewing them?

I'm the consumer here and it irks me to no end that should I have to replace my current ipod I'll have to settle for something less than what I want. I don't want to have to buy an ipod nano to take videos, or and iphone. I wouldn't mind upgrading to an iTouch but its available memory is far less than what my needs dictate, and is also missing features from other ipod models (even the inferior nano). What gives? A 64gb itouch wouldn't be too bad, if I kept my movies off the device, and its slimmer than my 160gb classic..  but then the appeal of owning the touch is gone because i'd like to be able to watch my movies on a bigger screen.

Guess I'll just have to wait for a few more years before the tech is even cheaper to mass produce at a price range where apple can seriously rape my wallet, instead of putting a small deant in it.

The Classic doesn't have a camera because Apple would rather it didn't exist and certainly aren't going to waste any R&D on improving it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Classic were discontinued as soon as the Touch gets up to 128 GB, which should happen later this year. The Touch doesn't have a camera because Apple would have to increase its thickness to fit it in there and they're not willing to do that, which isn't so much arrogant as it is stupid.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2010, 11:31:49 PM »
The only thing I've ever liked Apple for is there computers. They never skimp on those and any proprietary software can be easily ignored. That said, the Motorola Droid is the best phone on the market.
Fixed. Seriously, the Droid is better than the iPhone, period. Better network (fact), no need for iTunes, upgradeable flash memory, no need to void your warranty to actually use it, etc. Oh, and 480p YouTube with Flash 10 support coming very soon...and Google Maps Navigation...and...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2010, 12:08:50 AM »
I don't feel like having this argument again, but apparently I still feel like responding.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2010, 01:01:06 AM »
Fixed. Seriously, the Droid is better than the iPhone, period. Better network (fact), no need for iTunes, upgradeable flash memory, no need to void your warranty to actually use it, etc. Oh, and 480p YouTube with Flash 10 support coming very soon...and Google Maps Navigation...and...

I don't want to defend the iPhone (I don't plan on ever getting one unless they get a provider that allows pay as you go plans instead of 2 year contracts), but please tell me you are one of those people who support jailbreaking iPhones/iPod Touches?

As for the iPad, I have no interest in it, especially at $500 and up. If they had it starting at $300, I would really consider getting one. I don't think the name is bad either.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:45:55 AM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2010, 01:12:09 AM »
I don't know if it still works, but there used to be a way to trick the system into letting you get an iPhone with a pay as you go plan. It involved entering a Social Security number that was all 9s which would make you fail the credit check and then they'd offer it to you pay as you go. That may have stopped working when they started subsidizing them, though.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2010, 06:38:28 AM »
You can buy pay as you go iPhones over here. I know O2 UK and Orange both offer them as pay as you go. Vodafone doesn't. But hey, at least we have a choice rather than AT&T or bust.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2010, 02:31:27 PM »
The only thing I've ever liked Apple for is there computers. They never skimp on those and any proprietary software can be easily ignored. That said, the Motorola Droid is the best phone on the market.

I have no experience with it so you may be right. I'm just saying, from personal experience, the iphone is the best DOMESTIC phone.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2010, 04:27:38 PM »
Of course I support jailbreaking the iPhone, I've jailbroken several of them and my brother's iPod Touch. A non-jailbroken iPhone is like Grand Theft Auto without the cheat codes.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2010, 05:31:12 PM »
I'm not against jailbreaking iPhones, but I haven't had any reason to care about it enough to actually do it to my iPhone.

J.P. Corbran

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2010, 03:39:25 PM »
@insano:

What I meant was later on adding features when the technology and price were more feasable but only to certain models. It makes much more sense for me to want to rebuy a 160gb iPod Classic (should I lose or damage my current one) that comes with a camera feature over a 16gb iPod Nano, right? Hell the Classic used to be the iPod photo then video, so why can't they make it TAKE photos and videos than just viewing them?

I'm the consumer here and it irks me to no end that should I have to replace my current ipod I'll have to settle for something less than what I want. I don't want to have to buy an ipod nano to take videos, or and iphone. I wouldn't mind upgrading to an iTouch but its available memory is far less than what my needs dictate, and is also missing features from other ipod models (even the inferior nano). What gives? A 64gb itouch wouldn't be too bad, if I kept my movies off the device, and its slimmer than my 160gb classic..  but then the appeal of owning the touch is gone because i'd like to be able to watch my movies on a bigger screen.

Guess I'll just have to wait for a few more years before the tech is even cheaper to mass produce at a price range where apple can seriously rape my wallet, instead of putting a small deant in it.

The Classic doesn't have a camera because Apple would rather it didn't exist and certainly aren't going to waste any R&D on improving it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Classic were discontinued as soon as the Touch gets up to 128 GB, which should happen later this year. The Touch doesn't have a camera because Apple would have to increase its thickness to fit it in there and they're not willing to do that, which isn't so much arrogant as it is stupid.

Well my opinion is that of apple in fact IS arrogant for trying to tell the market what it wants as opposed to the other way around. Once the iTouch goes to at least 120gb, I'll consider upgrading (but not so fast) but then whats to say they won't introduce some new iTrendy product that everyone wants but no one needs and I'll be left with an iTouch "classic" that won't have any cool new features, ever?

Arrogance and stupidity often go hand in hand.

Whats your take on the Nexus One?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2010, 04:45:21 PM »
Since you're posting on a Nintendo forum I wouldn't have thought you'd mind companies that do what they want to do as opposed to what people want them to do so much.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2010, 10:43:17 PM »
Whats your take on the Nexus One?
Haven't put too much thought into it since it's not on Verizon. It's generally weaker than I would have expected though.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2010, 11:52:03 PM »
My first reaction to the iPad was 'meh' just like everybody else, but I've warmed up to it.  Give it one or two revisions and maybe a price drop (which you should do for all Apple products...actually all tech products in general) and I think there's a segment of the market that would really like something like this.  Even I would consider buying one...if it had Flash.  That really kills it for me.  Yeah I wish all flash would just hurry up and be replaced by HTML 5 but that will take a while.  In the meantime I want to play my flash games and watch my flash video.

As for the iTunes bookstore...maybe.  The iPad and the Kindle are being described as direct competitors and for all practical purposes they are, but really they are both designed around the consumption of different types of print media.  The Kindle is made for books and it has really perfected the experience of reading an electronic novel; you can take it anywhere, the battery last for fucking EVER, and contrary to LCD screens the E-Ink display actually looks better in direct sunlight and is really easy on the eyes.  The Kindle has some problems, however, and they primarily have to do with periodicals.  Newspapers, magazines, and blogs are simply not the type of thing you want to be reading on your Kindle.  It lacks the high resolution color screen for displaying images, and it lacks the interface and refresh rate needed for efficient navigation.  When you're browsing and scanning, and only spending a few seconds on each page, the Kindle becomes clunky and cumbersome.  The iPad solves all of those problems and should be great for reading newspapers, magazines, and anything else you don't read long enough to develop eye strain.

But just as a reader I wouldn't buy an iPad quite yet...the Nook will be available any minute now which at least has some improved display and navigation features, and a new version of the Kindle is on the horizon.  Plus sometime this month Amazon is opening up the Kindle Development Kit to foster the development of third party Kindle applications, which has me pretty excited.  The device has a lot of untapped potential.

So...what was I saying?  Yeah the iPad is not all that terrible if you develop the right mindset.  Multitasking is not a big deal if you use it the way it was meant to be used (iWork is NOT the way it is meant to be used, sorry Apple) and if you have a huge iTunes library it will probably be great.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 11:54:07 PM by KnowsNothing »
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2010, 12:29:03 AM »
So you're telling Apple that they're wrong about how the product they designed is meant to be used?

J.P. Corbran

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2010, 12:37:37 AM »
Yeah, I am.  The iPad is clearly about consuming content, iTunes and App Store content specifically.  iWork is neat and all and it might work just fine, but in the end this thing isn't really a netbook and the people who buy it aren't going to use it to create meaningful content.  iWork just doesn't fit with the rest of the device.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2010, 12:58:38 AM »
The iPad is basically a bigger iPhone, and you'd be surprised how much work you can get done on an iPhone. The increased size should make it even better for that. I intend to buy one of these, and yes, it will primarily be used for the consumption of media, but I also intend to--at least attempt to--take it to class with me and use it to take notes.

J.P. Corbran

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2010, 11:02:29 AM »
Just out of curiosity...I assume you own an iPhone, so when you get an iPad are you going to get the 3G version and pay for data plans on both devices?  The plan for the iPad is at least fairly flexible, but I assume if you want to work with it the way you can with your phone you'll need to buy the data month over month....and you probably won't want to get rid of your phone either.

Maybe it's because I'm cheap, but I wouldn't want to pay 3G charges on both my iPhone and iPad.  It seems redundant.  I don't really know anything about the pricing structure on the iPhone though, if there's a data plan where you pay strictly by the bit this won't be a problem.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2010, 11:39:11 AM »
It sucks, stop trying to make it seem cool. It sucks. There was all this build-up, and ransom for photos, and then it turns out to be this piece of crap, underwhelming and disappointing everyone who thought they had an idea about what it was going to be. It was supposed to be Apple's "tablet PC," but it fails to fill those shoes, miserably.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2010, 01:51:53 PM »
Just out of curiosity...I assume you own an iPhone, so when you get an iPad are you going to get the 3G version and pay for data plans on both devices?  The plan for the iPad is at least fairly flexible, but I assume if you want to work with it the way you can with your phone you'll need to buy the data month over month....and you probably won't want to get rid of your phone either.

Maybe it's because I'm cheap, but I wouldn't want to pay 3G charges on both my iPhone and iPad.  It seems redundant.  I don't really know anything about the pricing structure on the iPhone though, if there's a data plan where you pay strictly by the bit this won't be a problem.

I'm sure once the iPad is jailbroken, someone will figure out how to tether it to the iPhone and problem solved.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2010, 04:24:09 PM »
I plan on getting the 3G model; I'll most likely end up getting the $15/month 250 MB plan, since I have the iPhone as well, and also I'll probably have Wi-Fi at a much higher percentage of places I'd be likely to use the iPad than the iPhone.

J.P. Corbran