Author Topic: ARMS  (Read 24841 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Re: ARMS: Get your Virtua On!
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2017, 11:55:31 AM »
This thread was about attempting to hype a new IP from Nintendo that nobody believed in because they hated motion controls. Now that the demo has been played, people have changed their opinion because- surprise- they can play the game almost uninhibited without motion controls.

ARMS has failed to execute on its premise, and therefore, doesn't deserve to be hyped. It's dead to me, and I'd rather not be associated with the discussion of the game anymore if the whole reason for my initial excitement represents the minority of the player base. Make a new topic of you want.

Well, if you want, I can delete your OP which would then make me the new OP and you don't have to be as heavily associated with this ARMS topic anymore.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Re: ARMS
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2017, 03:33:26 PM »
>_>
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2017, 05:55:32 PM »
Next year Nintendo will release "ARMS: Worst Game of the Year Edition.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2017, 05:50:53 PM »
The reviews have been very positive about the content and gameplay. Many wanted more substantial content. I didn't care for the Testpunch because I like to practice and enjoy myself offline a great deal before trying online for any game, so I'm on the fence for ARMS. (But I will probably get it anyway. >_>)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2017, 08:56:12 AM »
I talked myself out of Arms today. I'm not finished Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2 comes out next month, and there have been some great announcements in the last week or so (e.g. Axiom Verge Multiverse Edition, Rocket League etc.) that I'm more excited about. I've barely touched Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Arms still intrigues me, but I think I can wait for a sale.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2017, 11:42:11 PM »
I just got my copy in from Best Buy! I had to do a double take because... it's not supposed to be out yet right? Did they break Street Date just for me? <3
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2017, 10:59:41 AM »
Nice! This weekend is Awesome Con in DC, so I'm going to that this Saturday (it's actually my first time going the whole time I've been living here, lol).  But I'll definitely make some time on Sunday to play it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2017, 01:42:47 PM »
I played Party online, and it was tons of fun! I really need to get better at remembering I can guard because I got bodied and perfected by someone using some shock ARMS. They'd shock me, and then grab me while I was stunned. Otherwise, I did rather well! I also completed the Grand Prix on Level 3. This is going to be really tough to beat the others! I think a fun goal would be to take my favorite fighters and try to beat each Grand Prix level as them, as the game makes note of that for each fighter.

Does anyone else have the game and would like to play online?

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2017, 07:46:40 PM »
I am down to play.

A few impressions.

Grand Prix is a big ball of meh. Beat it at level 4 to unlock ranked and you probably never have to go back to it again seriously. I might play one or two rounds just to try and get used to a new character. But in no way do I feel the need to finish it with every character.

Ranked is painfully barebones. The subtitle says "Play online for rank (and pride)". I guess they forgot the rank part really. There are no leaderboards. Nintendo keeps doing this thing where they think that the only thing you care about is your own personal rank. No, I want to see where my rank falls along the entire player base. I also want to see where my ranks falls along with people in my friends list. This is basic stuff that Nintendo keeps fucking up over and over. You have this ambiguous rank level that is never really explained. You gain a lot when you win and you lose a little bit after a loss but there's no rhyme or reason to it. I lose the same amount of rank no matter if the person I lost to is below my rank or above it. I still don't know if there are penalties for leaving (something that has happened to me a bit already) and worst of all, there is no stat tracking. Won-loss record? Victories by KO? % of punches landed?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Nintendo has already failed if they wanted to capture the esports crowd. I really hope they patch some of this stuff in soon.

I love Hoops but hate everything else. 2v2 is still a mess I never want to play. V-ball is just ok and skillshot can be fun at times, but it feels too random at times.

I love the nuance of the characters. Min Min is definitely my main, but I still want to take a crack at Ribbon Girl and Mechanica.  I'll keep playing it for sure but if ranked mode is still busted I'll probably get bored of it after a few weeks.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2017, 04:04:03 AM »
They're just protecting you from numbers that will make you feel bad. They are the only ones that know that the numbers are evil. The only progress you need is feeling good after a match. :p

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2017, 06:47:11 AM »
I still don't know if there are penalties for leaving (something that has happened to me a bit already) and worst of all, there is no stat tracking. Won-loss record? Victories by KO? % of punches landed?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Nintendo has already failed if they wanted to capture the esports crowd. I really hope they patch some of this stuff in soon.

Do we truly think they were going for eSports appeal though? Or was that more a bit of marketing, because suddenly every game is trying to be the next Counter Strike now? I mean, I know they repeatedly expressed their desire for it to be a spectator game, but reading your thoughts makes me question how much effort they really allocated towards that goal.

I understand that having 10,000 stats doesn't make a game more immediately appealing *Battlefield 2 online flashbacks* to the layman, and the actual eSports crowd might not be THAT big... Smash Bros Melee did this pretty well I think, they had a million stats but they were either buried in submenus for those who care about it, or they would scroll past really quickly at the end of a match. That was a decent balance of the 2, imo.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2017, 10:07:01 AM »
I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on purchasing this game, BUT I did find a copy to rent at my local Family Video, so I have a few impressions:

I'm having an unexpectedly hard time getting through the Grand Prix.  In fact, i can only get to round 2, trying a handful of different characters.  I'm not sure if I'm being too aggressive, but the CPU is just ragdolling me - pivoting and punching when I try to get a grab, grabbing me when I've guarded. 

Online is a mixed bag (only been able to play party mode, so far), I still think the matches beyond the 1v1 are a complete clusterfuck that turns too frantic to be fun, and have usually resulted in me being doubled teamed.  I haven't gotten a chance to play any of the sports games.  When I DO get a one-on-one, my W/L ratio is probably .500, but I have to fight myself from getting frantic in a lot of matches.

Control input wise, I don't like the pro controller layout choices they made, so that's out.  The motion control works well enough, but I don't necessarily get the curves in my punches I always expect when making a punching motion. 

I've got a few more days on this rental, but I don't really see my impressions improving much on this.  Sad, because I was hoping Nintendo made something here that I could really grasp onto, especially given Capcom's falterings lately with their fighters.  I think this'll be a pass for me.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2017, 10:33:40 AM »
Do we truly think they were going for eSports appeal though? Or was that more a bit of marketing, because suddenly every game is trying to be the next Counter Strike now? I mean, I know they repeatedly expressed their desire for it to be a spectator game, but reading your thoughts makes me question how much effort they really allocated towards that goal.

I understand that having 10,000 stats doesn't make a game more immediately appealing *Battlefield 2 online flashbacks* to the layman, and the actual eSports crowd might not be THAT big... Smash Bros Melee did this pretty well I think, they had a million stats but they were either buried in submenus for those who care about it, or they would scroll past really quickly at the end of a match. That was a decent balance of the 2, imo.

I am totally convinced the esports angle was a marketing ploy. There's no real understand of what it takes to make a game truly esports-ready.

I only want stats for ranked mode, which I believe should have already had it from the start. It's part of what I would use to set goals and try and get better at the game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2017, 10:18:16 AM »
I really wish there were an option in this game to let me block with a button. I find myself not doing it much because of the annoyance of clicking the stick. Why can't I set it so B is block if I only want to punch with ZL and ZR?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2017, 11:50:26 AM »
I find myself not using R and L at all, so being able to map to those buttons would be great too.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2017, 12:35:24 PM »
On the Pro Controller? Those are the buttons assigned for the rush ability which is pretty important.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2017, 12:38:26 PM »
You don't need both for that, though. Honestly, having L for block and R for rush might be even better than having it on B.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »
I wish I could re-map so many things. I'd definitely move block to one of the shoulder buttons. I'd probably move jump to b because I feel I can work dash/jump with the y/b combination better.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2017, 04:32:14 PM »
On the Pro Controller? Those are the buttons assigned for the rush ability which is pretty important.

Oh, ****.  I forgot about that.  You know, the last two times I played, I totally spaced on how to activate the rush thing.  I just sit there like, "I know it's something. . .".

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2017, 04:58:16 PM »
Just use motion controls, people!!! I don't have a Switch nor have I played ARMS so I have no idea if motion controls would actually work smoother.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2017, 07:27:16 PM »
Tried motion controls. Moving was total garbage. Went back to the Pro Controller.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »
Motion controls could be fun in a local multiplayer setting, where you're both hampered by the inability to move around.  But for online it's the pits.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2017, 08:05:13 AM »
ARMS has been updated to Version 2.0 as promised by Nintendo!

Here is the changelog, as posted via NeoGAF!

Changelog:

•ARMS League Commissioner Max Brass added as a playable character.

•New ARM “Nade†added.

•New ARM “Roaster†added.

•New ARM “Kablammer†added.

•New stage “Sky Arena†added.

•New versus mode “Hedlok Scramble†added. ◦Punch or touch the capsule containing the
Hedlok mask to become Hedlok for a period of time. This can be selected in Versus, Friend, or Local and it will also appear in Party Match.

•â€Stats†added to the Top Menu. â—¦Check stats such as your most used fighter, best stage, and ARM accuracy.

•â€Events†added to the Top Menu. â—¦Here you can set whether or not you want to join official online events.

•Snake Park has been swapped out for Sky Arena in the Ranked Match stage roster.

•Raised highest rank in Ranked Match to 20.

•Increased the penalty for disconnecting during Ranked Match play.

•Shortened the amount of time necessary for the following ARMS to return after being extended, making them easier to use: Megaton, Megawatt, Revolver, Retorcher, Boomerang

•Increased movement speed of the Guardian.

•Improved visibility during charge attacks for the Popper and Cracker.

•Increased the amount of time necessary for the following ARMS to return after being knocked down, increasing risk: Popper, Cracker, Hydra

•Increased the amount of time it takes to recover when a grab is deflected with a single punch.

•Decreased the amount of damage when the Hydra’s rush connects with multiple consecutive hits.

•Decreased the distance Kid Cobra travels when jumping.

•Fixed issue where in some instances Ribbon Girl could remain airborne for an overlong period of time while continually attacking.

•Fixed issue where Ninjara would not destroy the light boxes on the Ribbon Ring stage when getting up.

•Fixed issue where the time necessary for the Triblast to return when deflected was shortened.

•Fixed issue where ARMS such as Blorb and Megaton would catch on the ground and fail to fire.

•Fixed issue where explosive ARMS would sometimes fail to explode when receiving an attack.

•Fixed issue where the Slapamander would sometimes fail to hit Helix when he is extended.

•In online play, fixed issue where the appearance or non-appearance of items could differ between devices.

•In online play, fixed various issues with V-Ball including an issue where the ball would remain grounded and play would not proceed.

•In online play, fixed an issue where sometimes Barq would continually defend against an opponents’ rush attack for a set period of time.

•In online play, fixed issue where sometimes pillars in the Scrapyard would not be destructible.

Online Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2017, 11:46:11 AM »
I know nobody cares about this game, but Ver.3 dropped custom control schemes, emblems, and a new Grand Prix miniboss.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2017, 03:02:54 PM »
I want to be more into ARMS, but once Splat2n dropped I just always felt there was a better (or at least more interesting) game I could be playing.