Author Topic: Castlevania Judgement... not what anyone expected ever... EVER  (Read 73483 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Castlevania Judgement... not what anyone expected ever... EVER
« Reply #250 on: November 21, 2008, 05:04:05 PM »
Alright I got this in the mail today Amazon Prime 1 month free trial FTW!!

And here are my impressions after playing a few matches and exploring the online options

Okay out of all the control schemes my favorite by far is Wii remote and Nunchuk type B, (Type A an C makes wii remote shaking your primary attack and it doesn't feel good) in type B it your main attack is B and wii remote shakes are only used for your special finisher (when your special gauge is full) and a more powerful version of your A+B attack and the nunchuk shake allows you to do a dodge.

Gamecube and Classic Controllers are fine just some of the button commands are a bit weird so you would have to experiment which control type you would prefer the most unfortunately I didn't find any way to completely customize the controls but in general with the 3 types that each control style has (wii remote+chuck, classic, gamecube). For people who like using dpads apparently the dpad is disabled in the game  with an exception the down on the wii remote which either fires your subweapon or hyper attack(depending on what control type you pick) but the good news is that there is really no need for it. Speaking of control types you can't change between styles A,B or C mid match but only in the main game menu which is a pain but it saves your control preferences so you don't have to change them each time you boot up the game or your save file(the game has 3 save files as odd as that sounds for a fighting game),  and luckily there is a seperate control profile for wii remote+chuck, Classic and gamecube controllers which is nice .

Before I move on to game play I do have to note one semi-annoying thing, if you want to play with Wii remote and nunchuk or Classic Controllers DO NOT have a gamecube controller or a wave bird receiver in controller slot 1 or 2 because the game will assume that you will be using a gamecube controller because the game senses controller changes automatically (during the middle of the fight you can change between controller types just by plugging in what controller you want).

Now as far as gameplay, it's a shallow fighter so don't expect this game to be something like street fighter, virtua fighter and so forth. This game reminds me a lot of powerstone and the gamecube/wii naruto fighting games because the combo system while fairly simplistic it's satisfying and very fun. The game is a full 3d fighter and it doesn't snap you on a 2d pane so you will have full 3d movement in the fighter like powerstone does. Each level has hazards like enemies, enviromental effects, spiked floors, poisonous water, guillotines and those swinging axes on a chain all of them are typical Castlevania hazards you would find in the games. In story mode you can't turn them off but for versus matches it asks you if you want to turn hazards on or off. Some of the AI is cheap but beatable and the game is balanced in general but some characters are simply better than another or like how some fighting game enthusiast would group fighters in tiers.

The graphics are actually quite nice for a Wii title featuring full widescreen with no black bars there is also a deflicker option for people who want to turn it on or off, and the game runs at a smooth 60FPS. The graphical effects for each finisher and special looks awesome. The stages look fine and all of them are quite big and roomy each stage is different enough to make them feel unique. If you hate the english voice acting there is an option for Japanese voice acting.

The options for online is very robust for a Wii game, but it still has a traditional matchmaking system you can set it to look for matches in your local continent or worldwide. I played about 3 matches and I experienced some small lag but nothing game breaking. Since the game does have 3 save slots I don't know if each save shares the same friend code or generates a different one since I didn't bother testing it. 

The game is a pretty good package with some minor gripes and it looks like IGA and his dev team put a lot of care into it, for a "fanfare" type of game it's a really good one and it's a fun light hearted fighting game with a solid single player, online and multiplayer modes. Its a 3rd party game done right  and a fighting game done right on the Wii whether if you use Wii controls or traditional controls.

EDIT: If any one is wondering, the DS connectivity unlocks Shanoa, Aeon and a couple of items and accessories. The data transfer take like 2 seconds so it looks like that it's just a simple unlock code. I wasn't paying attention on my DS screen if it unlocked anything in Order of Ecclasia. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 05:15:01 PM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 22, 2008, 03:14:49 AM »
I didn't find SotN particularly funny either, it just sounds like Alucard has a cold...
The opening dialog between Richter and Dracula is pure comedy.

"What is a man? A miserable little pile of semen.... I mean, secrets."

I can go to the nearest bus stop and find "voice actors" too.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 22, 2008, 04:31:34 AM »
That was more a terrible translation than terrible voice acting. The least funny part of the translation was spike breaker being translated as spear breaker in German since that makes it sound more like a regular armor with a fancy name than an item that actually does something special.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 22, 2008, 05:35:42 PM »
If you hate the english voice acting there is an option for Japanese voice acting.

Oh thank God.  Norio Wakamoto as Dracula and Ryotaro Okiayu as Alucard FTW!!!
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 22, 2008, 09:23:16 PM »
Maria has the best dialog in the game especially when she fights female opponents. She compares her breasts to others and she calls them stuff like sacred gifts and other funny things. Click here for the epic dialog

Also if anyone is interested Here is how the special finishers look like
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 09:30:24 PM by Flames_of_chaos »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 22, 2008, 10:03:07 PM »
Ugh, I finally played this game. Not terribly impressed so far. The CG is nice though.

And Dracula is cheap as hell.
That was more a terrible translation than terrible voice acting.
It has both. A better translation would still sound just as hilarious with the original voice actors. It's like they don't know what inflection is or at least, which words should be stressed in a sentence. But, I digress, if you don't find it funny, I'm not going to try to convince you.

"No, mother!"

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 23, 2008, 02:38:04 AM »

Heh, compare that to the terrible G4 review that complained Dracula is completely underpowered since he has zero defense against aerial attacks.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 23, 2008, 10:17:51 AM »

Heh, compare that to the terrible G4 review that complained Dracula is completely underpowered since he has zero defense against aerial attacks.

Wow what the heck were they playing, Dracula has a lot of defense against regular attacks but not so much against hard hitting specials, and aerial attacks in the game are special especially the ones where you hold down a button to charge it up. I'm just surprised that G4 didn't mention anything about the online mode. The controls aren't bad at all but compared to other fighters the Classic Controller/Gamecube button configurations are a bit odd.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 23, 2008, 10:59:11 AM »
I'm more surprised that none of them mentions that you can configure it to use a button for regular attacks in wiimote+nunchuk mode too. Maybe I'm just imagining it but I thought G4 said the online is as laggy as other fighting games but it doesn't matter because the game sucks so much anyway.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 23, 2008, 12:01:52 PM »
I'm more surprised that none of them mentions that you can configure it to use a button for regular attacks in wiimote+nunchuk mode too. Maybe I'm just imagining it but I thought G4 said the online is as laggy as other fighting games but it doesn't matter because the game sucks so much anyway.

The game is quite good if you enjoyed the gamecube/wii naruto fighting games, smash bros, and powerstone. It's not a deep game by any means but my huge impressions post should answer all potential questions that people have. And you don't even need to use wii remote and nuchuk since you have gamecube and Classic Control support and all 3 control schemes are fine! If you hate control style A each configuration has 3 styles. The only thing I will agree on with G4 is that each fighter has practically the same exact button combos for special moves. But then again so did powerstone and the naruto fighting games on Nintendo platforms and Super Smash Bros yet no one bitched about them with that con.

Edit: Even though each fighter has practically the same button combos for moves, they all play differently enough to make a difference, some people are slower, some are faster, some excel in melee, some excel in range, some excel in slower but stronger hits, some excel in lighter damage but are far more speedy. Like I said it's fairly balanced but like any other fighter or brawler there are "Tiers". The only thing each character has in common is that the special finisher takes out about 50% of the health meter (not current health but total health).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 12:08:24 PM by Flames_of_chaos »

Offline Monteblanco

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 23, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
Actually, SSBB showed me I prefer to use the remote+nunchuck over the classic or gamecube controler. I feel more confortable to have my hands far apart and resting wherever I want.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 23, 2008, 05:05:24 PM »
Maybe some reviewers just saw that people on the internets hated the character designs and the previews were negative so they figured the users want a negative review and gave them that.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 23, 2008, 05:18:27 PM »
Maybe some reviewers just saw that people on the internets hated the character designs and the previews were negative so they figured the users want a negative review and gave them that.

Probably because we all know IGA/Konami giving the character design to the Death Note designer is raping the series. :rolleyes: If Konami raped the series because of that then Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin deserve a bad scores since character design and only character dictates how awesome a game is  :rolleyes:.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 24, 2008, 03:51:21 AM »
DoS and PoR at least implemented the old designs with less detailling, they didn't e.g. replace Death with a freaking Akuma from D.Gray-Man or turn Yoko into a loli. I meant I think the reviewers base their target score on the internet hype so they give users "what the users want", i.e. if users hate a game then the reviewer will give it a bad review since otherwise the users will complain.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #264 on: November 26, 2008, 01:48:11 PM »
I honestly can't wait to try this game out. I've already played and enjoyed games the media tells me to "hate" (Dragonquest Swords, Link's Bowgun Training, Wii Play), so adding one to the list wouldn't kill me.

One question to CV fanatics...is Maria Renard supposed to be a loli? I've seen artwork of her, including some Chibi ones and don't know which one is supposed to be canon.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 02:21:35 PM by pap64 »
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #265 on: November 26, 2008, 02:16:47 PM »
Maria was loli in Rondo of Blood (maybe younger).  She grew her boom-booms by the time Symphony of the Night came along.  Since she appears at different ages in the series, we should've been given a playable grown-up foxy Maria.  I wonder how Kornamee will mess that up.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #266 on: November 26, 2008, 02:22:48 PM »
Maria was loli in Rondo of Blood (maybe younger).  She grew her boom-booms by the time Symphony of the Night came along.  Since she appears at different ages in the series, we should've been given a playable grown-up foxy Maria.  I wonder how Kornamee will mess that up.

Especially since little Maria is upset about her boom booms...

Really, her jokes in Judgment all have to do with boob size. But its a fighting game, so the fan service is needed for the sake of fap.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 26, 2008, 05:02:34 PM »

One question to CV fanatics...is Maria Renard supposed to be a loli? I've seen artwork of her, including some Chibi ones and don't know which one is supposed to be canon.

Well she was a young girl in Rondo of Blood, but the difference is she was a nice and sweet young girl.  The loli they're using in Judgement now is anything but nice and sweet.

Like I said, the Mario in Judgement is Maria in name only.  Her personality is completely different from anything in any of the cannon storylines.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 26, 2008, 06:06:46 PM »
Shanoa is by far the best character in the game though I haven't unlocked Death or Dracula.
Well she was a young girl in Rondo of Blood, but the difference is she was a nice and sweet young girl.  The loli they're using in Judgement now is anything but nice and sweet.
Mainly because all she does is spam that bicycle kick. Stupid kids....

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #269 on: November 26, 2008, 07:40:44 PM »
Best Maria! =D

[SPACE]
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 27, 2008, 04:09:39 AM »
One more review by Gamespy, 1.5/5. The writing is a lot more detailled than the trainwrecks by G4 and such.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 27, 2008, 01:20:24 PM »
lol I really don't think it could sucks THAT hard.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.