Author Topic: Skate It  (Read 6897 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Skate It
« on: June 02, 2008, 11:28:02 PM »
A new gameplay video is up:
http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/856185/skate/videos/skateit_060208.html

I'm not a skateboarding game fan, but it looks decent in motion, better than a Ubisoft game. This has balance board support, right?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Skate It
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 01:28:40 AM »
Looks like I'm buying a skateboarding game for the first time ever.

Hope it's good though, so that EA can serve as a shining example of how to make games for the Wii.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 12:18:52 PM »
If the balance board support is good then I will play this game.  Which I hope it is.  But, if the balance board support doesn't work then this game is just another Tony Hawk game, which I will find boring.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 07:16:39 PM »
If the balance board support is good then I will play this game.  Which I hope it is.  But, if the balance board support doesn't work then this game is just another Tony Hawk game, which I will find boring.

This sums it up for me, the only reason I'm interested in this is the balance board support, if that's not good then I don't care about the game.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 07:29:37 PM »

This sums it up for me, the only reason I'm interested in this is the balance board support, if that's not good then I don't care about the game.

i'll get it if the wiimote controls are good but the balance board is what i'm mainly interested in. Besides, i'll need good wii controls to fall back on when my fat ass gets tired of using my legs
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 09:29:29 PM »
I really don't know how to do the controls...

But what I would like to see is

Weight shifts/Leaning for turns.

Weight Shifts for jumps...Press weight down to prep for a jump and pop up for the jump.

As for tricks, and speed and such I think that can be down with the Wiimote and nunchuk...with possible fine tuning with the analog stick for turning...  I would not go for gesture based tricks, but simple button pressing and holds for tricks and spins and grabs.

Perhaps tweaks are done with balance board, and of course balancing also done on the board.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 09:39:06 PM »
spak i'm gonna assume you missed the IGN impressions?

the wiimote only control scheme is motion based for everything save ollies which is controled by the A button. i've seen a diagram somewhere that shows how tricks are performed;

manuals = tilt remote nose up
heelflips = tilt remote left (buttons facing left)
kickflilps = tilt remote right (buttons facing right)

etc...

they didnt get to see balance controls but think you'll still need the remote (probably to press A for ollies)

EDIT: i lied about the controls, i re-read the hands on preview which you can read for yourself here (linked to second page, talks about controls).

if you're lazy, pretty much the only buttons used are A and B. A for kicks to build up speed, B to grab your board. The balance board mode was shown and it features a square showing you where you're leaning.

EDIT 2: Diagram i mentioned is in the newest GI mag. Shows how things will be controlled for Wii and DS.
I'd scan it but.. you know.

heres the gist of it:

DS: diagram of a skateboard will be on the touch screen, pointed at an angle like this:  /
you draw a line over the skateboard to perform moves.

ie: draw a straight line from tail to nose = ollie
    diagnol line off the right side of board= kick flip
    line straight up from tail of board = hard flip
    curved line from tail to the right = pop-shovit
    cuved line from tail to the left - FS pop shovit
    semi circle crossiing from one side of tail to other = 360 shovit

Wii: flick up = ollie
      tilt left = kickflip (tilt right = hardflip)
      tilt 180 = pop shovit (basically turn the controller till buttons are faced down)
      tilt full circle = 360 pop shovit (dont know how the hell you'll do that easily..)
      tilt up = manual

for those worried about just skating around using motion controls, you can plug in the nunchuk for analog steering
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 09:56:21 PM by EasyCure »
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 12:16:28 AM »
Thanks Easycure...you are right, I did miss that.  I watched the video and didn't even think about going to read impressions.  I actually try to avoid IGN now at all costs.  NWR and GoNintendo are the only sites I visit for Nintendo news now.

Anyway, your notes on the controls have me worried about the game...and I really do not know what to think yet. 

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 12:31:13 PM »
yeah i never go to ign (kills my computer at home, everything freezes up) but i think i saw the news of it on gonintendo and wanted to read the hands on impressions. Havent seen the video yet, don't really care too either, i'd just rather play a demo and see how it feels in my own hands. Can't wait for it to come out, wanna get my hands (and feet) on this game)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 04:29:09 AM »
Here is a interview
For EasyCure here are the specifics.
The city in the original got hit by a natural disaster and changed the whole city effectively making new ways to skate.
The controls are like those described in this thread,but to do more complex tricks you just try various combonations of the basic controls.
For Wii visuals they decided to go with a stylized look so that skateable surfaces could be recognised easily. While the DS version will have 3d, claims best visuals on the DS.
The balance board controls are the favorite of th team. While you can lean forward and back you can also apply different degrees of force and different positioning for different moves. Has 3 control setups Wiimote only, Nunchuk& Wiimote and balance board.
Online they don't plan on having it for Wii; they want to focus on core gameplay experience. The DS version will have Wi-Fi multiplayer and have multi and single card play.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 04:31:59 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 10:39:31 AM »
They want to focus on the core gameplay experience? Riiiight...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 11:18:57 AM »
Here is a interview
For EasyCure here are the specifics. .

wha-whaat? why are you targeting this specifically to me?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 11:23:07 AM »
I am typing out the specifics because you said that your Cpu freezes when you go to Ign.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 03:19:09 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 02:19:14 PM »
Hmmm... I've heard good things about the balance board support, but I'm still weirded out on whether it'll be a decent way to play the game. Of course, I'm not a skateboarder in real life, so I probably lack the skills to play it anyways.

I am type out the specifics because you said that your Cpu freezes when you go to Ign.

So thoughtful!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 03:02:35 PM »
Hmmm... I've heard good things about the balance board support, but I'm still weirded out on whether it'll be a decent way to play the game. Of course, I'm not a skateboarder in real life, so I probably lack the skills to play it anyways.

I am type out the specifics because you said that your Cpu freezes when you go to Ign.

So thoughtful!

I  know right! whats the last thoughtful thing YOU'VE ever done for me Kai? Maxi really needs to be your replacement.

kidding<3

as for balance board support, i'd love to try it especially if its good, i'd just hate to get really into it and try and ollie the damn thing. Luckily they won't make you mimic that gesture, people would end up crash landing on their BB's.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 12:31:45 AM »
K, guys. This was REALLY AWESOME. I wanna here all those haters bitching because the game is just great. It felt great playing it, it all made sense, there were no odd glitches or anything. It was just real real fun.  Satisfying, EVERYONE NEEDS TO PLAY THIS.

Really blew me away playing it at PAX
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Gamejunkie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 02:35:27 PM »
Yes I played it too in Leipzig recently and was quite impressed by it especially the gameplay using the balance board. Whilst I did prefer Shaun White's Snowboarding this game also makes good use of the balance board and does have the potential to be a great game.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 09:11:33 PM »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 09:57:52 PM »
One of my most anticipated games. This and Shaun White. I really want it!

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 07:32:01 PM »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
release bump?

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 02:02:40 PM »
Thanks I was gonna do that! I'll pick it up later today.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 02:20:28 PM »
You owe me a copy for what you did to me >:(

lol

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 08:26:23 PM »
I've been reading some impressions around the internet and it seems like it takes a lot of investment to start enjoying the game and has a big learning curve, I might wait until  I have some proper time to dedicate to it before getting this one.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 11:20:05 PM »
I've been reading some impressions around the internet and it seems like it takes a lot of investment to start enjoying the game and has a big learning curve, I might wait until  I have some proper time to dedicate to it before getting this one.

Not that this can't be true. But it is weird to me because I picked it up so fast at PAX!

Frozen Shoe Games