Author Topic: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia  (Read 42212 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
« on: May 14, 2008, 09:51:17 PM »
Well, it's official now.... though Konami did a terrible job keeping it a secret. Those leaked screens from January of a supposed mystery Castlevania game were, in fact, real (as if there was ever any doubt). This also basically confirms a Castlevania game for the Wii.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:09:20 PM »
Well, it's official now.... though Konami did a terrible job keeping it a secret. Those leaked screens from January of a supposed mystery Castlevania game were, in fact, real (as if there was ever any doubt). This also basically confirms a Castlevania game for the Wii.

Why is that? I am curious.  I love Castlevania...
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 10:37:53 PM »
CASTLEVANIA 64 PART 2 GIVE ME
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:41:36 PM »

It confirms that because the same source that leaked the screens for this talked about a Wii Castlevania. It's not complete confirmation but it makes it pretty darn likely. I loved Dawn of Sorrow, the first Castlevania game I ever played, and I've enjoyed Super Castlevania IV on the VC, so I'm excited for this.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:42:22 PM »
The title screen was leaked in January and one of the options was "Wii." Unless that's been taken out since, Order of Ecclesia will connect to the Wii for some reason. The only thing that makes sense would be connectivity to a Wii game.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »
Hm, the screenshot on Gamespy shows a red thing with a human face on top... Isn't that the final boss from Super Contra?

EDIT: Bah, world map... That means we get tons of separate areas again like in PoR. I hate that, it ruins the whole feeling of exploration.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 03:32:20 PM by KDR_11k »

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 11:08:14 AM »
Bah, world map... That means we get tons of separate areas again like in PoR. I hate that, it ruins the whole feeling of exploration.

Ah crap, that makes me somewhat disinterested in the game. While I played PoR to completion, I did not enjoy it as much as the other Metroidvania games. Might have to wait and see on this one before I pick it up.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline user0x7D

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 07:06:09 PM »
From: http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1210959126

“We have always felt that the Castlevania franchise has been an excellent fit on Nintendo DS, and based on the popularity of the DS classics, Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin, our fans agree,” said Anthony Crouts, Vice President of Marketing for Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc.

Umm... Do Konami's employees ever talk to each other?

Outside of that, I do hope that they at least upgrade the assets from Castlevania 64 somewhat before they use them in the rumored Wii title. Then again, most developers have been able to get away with worse already. Why would Konami feel the need to do any better?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 02:03:34 AM »
Well the Wii Castlevania could be 2D as well.  IGA has said several times he'd like to make a 2D Castlevania on a home console again.  Maybe after seeing the incredible sales of Wii hardware and software, he was able to convince the higher ups at Konami that a 2D Castlevania on the Wii could do well.

Or maybe after IGA saw the PSP Castlevania bomb after he said the PSP was where the true Castlevania fanbase was, he finally released it's really the Nintendo fanbase that embraces the Castlevania series.  This would explain why this new one for the DS looks like it's using Kojima style art again instead of the generic anime style they used for the other DS games.  Since the Wii and DS are very similar too each other and share the same fanbase, IGA might feel that the people that bought the 2D ones for the DS, will also buy a 2D one for the Wii.

Well I can hope anyway.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 04:22:41 AM »
IGA thinks the DS is just a side hobby and the real meat is on the PS2, the rest of Konami looks at the numbers and realizes the DS is Castlevania's main business :P.

I hope Kojima works harder this time, these character portraits really need a good number of poses, not just a generic "posing for magazine ad" pose that's used no matter if the character is happy, sad, angry or dead. That's the biggest advantage of the anime portraits they had IMO, they could afford loads of different portraits that conveyed the dialogue much better than the detailled but apathetic portraits of the GBA games.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 06:59:33 AM »
sorta like Reggie/Iwata's fun vs. serious looks

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 09:28:32 AM »
Or maybe after IGA saw the PSP Castlevania bomb after he said the PSP was where the true Castlevania fanbase was, he finally released it's really the Nintendo fanbase that embraces the Castlevania series. ... IGA might feel that the people that bought the 2D ones for the DS, will also buy a 2D one for the Wii.

Wii port of Dracula X Chronicles confirmed.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 03:30:55 PM »
I would love to see Dracula X Chronicles ported to the Wii though I can't even imagine the amount of flack Konami will get from Nintendo fans.... even though every 3rd party uses the Wii as a port dumping ground. For me though, it'd be yet another reason not to pick up a PSP... I'm waiting for Sony to announce God of War: Chains of Olympus for PS2.

On a side note, I still find it mindboggling that some Nintendo fans were so offended that Dracula X Chronicles was released on PSP. Konami released TWO completely original Castlevania games on DS versus ONE remake (plus ports) on PSP. Clearly, DS got the better deal.

There are supposedly 3 Castlevania titles in development (including OoE). If a 2D Wii title is announced, I would expect Nintendo fans to bellyache about how they can't swing Belmont's whip using the Wii remote. Or, if the PS3/360 version is 2D and the Wii game is 3D complete with motion controlled whip, Nintendo fans will complain that the 2D game is better suited for the Wii and they don't want crappy 3D Castlevania. Either way, Nintendo fans will blame Konami for screwing Nintendo over and will once again look like petulant children who are impossible to please.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 04:57:02 PM »
New Information (Below are the bigger highlights; follow the link to read a few more.)

- “No real weapons in this game” all fighting is through Glyphs
- Glyphs dropped by enemies, found in specific locations as well
- MP refills quickly when not attacking
- combos possible
- Glyph Union special attacks
- More than 20 locations
- receive side-quests from saved villagers
- Gameplay elements from previous games: Leveling-up, dodging (L/R buttons), select button to switch between map and stats, hard difficulty setting, multiple endings, Wi-Fi support
- Wi-Fi: New item interface: own a shop, vs. competition - considers items used and damaged received to determine winner

I'm intrigued about the Glyphs, but also a little worried at the same time.  In previous Castlevania games, with weapons I pretty much abandoned them once I found a better one.  There were usually two weapons that I used on a regular basis at any one time--a strong/slow one and a weak/fast one.  Once you threw in magic (of which there were probably eight to ten that were really useful by end game) there were quite a few combinations you could use.  However, if you can only use two Glyphs at once, it seems like it could severely limit the possibilities.

Also, a little disappointed that it seems like they're going with the "levels" from PoR instead of the single castle from AoS/DoS, but I'll live.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 08:10:21 PM »
I expect the Wii game to be for WiiWare, which would almost guarantee its 2D status.  Happy!

I'm a Castlevania whore and thus keeping an eye on OoE, but I really do need it to be quite different in order to consider buying it.  Portrait of Ruin didn't do much for me; it was high quality but seriously lacking in creativity.  Iga's team needs to stop recycling level designs and art assets from game to game.  And Castlevania fans need to quit comparing every new game to Symphony of the Night.  There's no doubt of SotN's genius, but Aria and Dawn of Sorrow are at least as good and totally different in how they play.  SotN is now playable on enough platforms (PS3, XBLA, PSP) that I hope we can all move on and look forward to NEW kinds of gameplay in Castlevania.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 04:16:51 AM »
How much new can you do without making it no longer Castlevania?

Is that really two directional dodge as in HoD? I have a feeling that travelling will devolve into dodgespam quickly...

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 01:13:59 AM »
Or maybe after IGA saw the PSP Castlevania bomb after he said the PSP was where the true Castlevania fanbase was, he finally released it's really the Nintendo fanbase that embraces the Castlevania series. ... IGA might feel that the people that bought the 2D ones for the DS, will also buy a 2D one for the Wii.

Actually Japan already got the Virtual Console release for this, so you never know we might see that which would be awesome.

I love 2d castlevania games, I didn't hate 3d ones like everyone else but still 2d can keep on coming. The no-weapon aspect is scary though, we will see they tend to make great games.

Wii port of Dracula X Chronicles confirmed.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 01:37:23 PM »
Circle of the Moon FTW

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 02:09:32 PM »
I loved Circle of the Moon when it was first released, but I don't think I could go back and play it any more.  The soul system is so much more user friendly than the card system.

Offline Bodeecia

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 11:48:57 PM »
 ??? :o Someone  has told me that the "era of the Belmonts is over."  Is this true? And if so, does it mean the Belmonts are never coming back? It's going to really stink if they don't, I hope someone can clarify this for me.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 12:55:20 AM »
Richter Belmont was the last Belmont to use Vampire Killer because for some reason or another, the Belmont family became unable to wield Vampire Killer... well, until Julius in Aria of Sorrow (the Morris family are descendants of the Belmonts, but not Belmonts.... whatever that means). Order of Ecclesia is probably set somewhere between Symphony of the Night and Aria of Sorrow. Yeah, that narrows it down to somewhere within like 230 something years. I remember an interview with IGA few years ago when the interviewer asked if we'll ever find out why the Belmonts became so powerless (as well as how Julius sealed Dracula in 1999) and IGA hinted that he's already thought up that story and wants to use it for a future game. Order of Ecclesia might be that game.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 01:30:13 PM »
The Morris family can't just naturally use the Vampire Killer.  The Morris family can only use it if they have a vision where they have to kill an original Belmont. If they do successfully they can wield the Vampire Killer's real power. However it slowly drains life force.  Also, the vision has to be induced/forced by a strong sorcerer.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 05:28:06 PM »
And Trevor isn't the son of Sonja and Alucard... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 05:29:27 PM »
I'm just going of Portrait of Ruin

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 09:08:48 PM »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.