Author Topic: Brawl Delayed to February in N. America  (Read 24467 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Brawl Delayed to February in N. America
« on: October 11, 2007, 06:16:53 AM »
The new date is 2/10/2008, to be exact.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=14594

Though widely expected after the release date was changed to "TBD" on the official Smash Bros. website and the Japanese launch was pushed to January 24, today Nintendo of America has confirmed that Super Smash Bros. Brawl has a new release date of February 10, 2008.  As of this time, we do not have any details on the reason for the delay from the original December 3 date or why the North American version is lagging weeks after the Japanese one.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
RE:Brawl Delayed to February in N. America
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 06:21:18 AM »
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Brawl Delayed to February in N. America
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 06:21:52 AM »
F*ck.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 06:23:42 AM »

What makes this even worse is that they probably had the dojo updates scheduled based on the earlier date, so they are probably even going to run out of those.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 06:24:02 AM »
"What's wrong Obi-Wan?"

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of fan boy voices suddenly cried out in terror. I fear something terrible has happened."

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 06:29:12 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale

What makes this even worse is that they probably had the dojo updates scheduled based on the earlier date, so they are probably even going to run out of those.

There are 50+ days from the original release date to the new one.  The updates may stop for a while but they could come back.  They better I need that little taste of brawl everyday.  
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 06:47:46 AM »
This is non-news.  We pretty much knew this was coming when they announced the Japanese release date got pushed back yesterday.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 06:48:26 AM »
I am cry
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline pSYCO-gAMER321

• my giant image signature is still kewl
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 06:48:26 AM »
From reports, the developers needs more time. Also might be they are including more options. I bet online stuff.
This account is over 5 years old.  o.o
FC(JPN): 2781-3170-5058-4631
FC(USA): 4793-8665-4989-8838
SSBB(JPN) 3351-3351-3953

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 06:52:46 AM »
The delay is to include new collectible items- stuffed animal gallery and temporary tatoo gallery.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 06:52:55 AM »
Meh, it's not the end of the world. I am glad that they recognize that they need a little more time to get the job done. I'm sure the Dojo updates will continue, the game is freaking massive. This delay pretty much means a more solid game, and more time for me to enjoy the other titles being released around the same time (Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect). By the time I finish those up, Smash will be out and consuming my life, which works out just fine.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 07:07:07 AM »
"This is non-news."

How is this non-news?  We got a specific date.  That's a pretty important bit of info, no?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 07:13:17 AM »
I'm not too concerned, Wii will still sell out their entire stock and Third parties have a better chance to shine. Galaxy is now GOTY CONFIRMED too

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 07:19:53 AM »
It sucks, but no biggie. Like I said, I'm fine with the delay as long as they use that time to polish the game further. I'm betting anything they are working VERY hard on the online modes, since they confirmed it will have issues.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 07:23:23 AM »
Bummer, at first I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!", ah well, it seems I will have more time to play other games, I think Brawl is going to be one of the most feature rich games ever made, so they do need that extra time.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 07:26:59 AM »
So what are they putting in its place? Better be Endless Ocean!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 07:27:59 AM »
You didn't hear? Endless Ocean is delayed until 2009 =(

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 07:30:21 AM »
Endless ocean has not changed dates, and as far as I can tell, nothing has.

It's going to be a Galaxy Holiday.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 07:32:34 AM »
This is VERY different from the GC days. Melee was severely rushed because the GC had NOTHING for the Holidays. Zelda and Mario were years away, Pikmin was a very niche title and the system lacked third party games. Nintendo needed Melee badly. The Wii, on the other hand, already has a Mario game to be released this year, the system is rich in third party titles and many of the launch titles are STILL selling well.

Its obvious that the Wii can survive with just Galaxy and its catalog of second and third party games.

EDIT: Also, this will help Mario and Sonic at the Olympics do well. The news of Sonic being in Brawl overshadowed the fact that Mario and Sonic are already facing each other at the Olympic venue. By delaying Brawl it will give room for fans to enjoy the game, then go for the second cross over event.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 07:35:48 AM »
Well one thing I like about Nintendo is that they seem to have gotten back to quality even if it means delays. As Pap stated during the GC era they rushed out titles like Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, and Melee. Now they seem to be back to "As much time as the game needs" which is great IMO.  

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 07:45:25 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Well one thing I like about Nintendo is that they seem to have gotten back to quality even if it means delays. As Pap stated during the GC era they rushed out titles like Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, and Melee. Now they seem to be back to "As much time as the game needs" which is great IMO.

Yeah, and those titles suffered because of it. If I am not mistaken, WW was supposed to have a couple of more dungeons, but got scraped and went with the triforce hunt instead. The graphics in Mario Sunshine looked un-even (some parts were beautiful, others looked meh) and it ran at 30 FPS even though it was supposed to do it at 60. And Melee...don't get me started.

We can thank the Wii and DS's success for that. Now that Nintendo is making money they don't need to rely on their titles to stay afloat.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 07:49:13 AM »
I think the trend started with Twilight Princess, which was given a big development window and I'm not just talking about the Wii version. Wind Waker while I love the game to death, did feel rushed, heck if I recall it still had the islands that were meant to be entrances to the dungeons. Heck it only having 4 bosses was an indication of how it was pushed out. Sunshine, yet another amazing game IMO, suffered from the blue coin collecting and no motivation to get them all which indicated to me the game was not ready. But Brawl is looking to be a great game, and Nintendo seems to realize the potential letting delays occur.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 07:55:38 AM »
How are you complaining that Melee was rushed?  The game was near perfect...
---------------------

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 07:58:30 AM »
There goes my christmas. thanks grinches.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 07:59:57 AM »
"As Pap stated during the GC era they rushed out titles like Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, and Melee. Now they seem to be back to 'As much time as the game needs' which is great IMO."

I'll agree with this.  I'm not really comfortable with the Wii having sold so well on what I consider really lousy third party support and an initially weak first party lineup.  But if it can that gives Nintendo a chance to relax and we'll get better games from that.  Plus, although I see no signs of it, maybe Nintendo will eventually ease up on the franchises.  The whole "Who are you?" thing and this huge sudden glut of spinoffs seemed to be panic reaction from Nintendo after the Xbox crushed them at Christmas 2002 and it was clear the Cube wasn't selling.  That didn't work (Mario doesn't sell Cubes so the solution is more Mario? Huh?)  There's no need to panic now.  They can relax and make whatever they want.

And who called Pikmin niche?  Damn it that game deserved to be a huge hit.  I blame Nintendo's then inability to market anything at all.  I don't even recall the game getting it's own ad.  I think it was just bunched in with a general Cube ad.  They never gave it an A franchise push so it wasn't accepted as such.  I'm not the biggest WiiSports fan but at least they were pushing something new.  They never pushed the new stuff on the Cube.  They only pushed the franchise stuff that people who were not already fans obviously wouldn't be interested in.  Don't like Mario on the N64?  Well maybe you'll buy him on a Cube! It's like the N64 with no Rare, cartoon Zelda, crappy Star Fox games and no good wrestling games or first person shooters!  We're also the only console without GTA!