Author Topic: I want to buy this...  (Read 5120 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
I want to buy this...
« on: September 24, 2006, 10:02:03 AM »
Disney's Song of the South

But not only is the DVD illegal, but I have fears about the quality of the DVD and the seller...

Hmm... what to do...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
RE: I want to buy this...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 01:57:27 PM »
Well according to Wikipedia there is no official release of the DVD, plus this appears to have all the same features listed on that DVD. I would avoid purchase and maybe DL this in the mean time.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 02:55:13 PM »
MMM...I want that, too.

You can buy an official version of the film if you prefer. On VHS. Imported from some distant land, with subtitles in another launguage. For about 100 bucks on Ebay.

Or you can wait for the offcial DVD release. I think Disney has decided that they're going to do one, anyway.

edit: nevermind. Official DVD isn't happening.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 03:46:28 PM »
Yeah, I think we'll see an official Disney release about the same time that we see an official release of the Star Wars Holiday Special...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 03:58:18 PM »
Which is a shame, because the Holiday Special is much better than the prequel trilogy.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 05:42:16 PM »
The Prequel was just going through the motions.  Sort of like I hear the battle system is in FF:XII.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline CloudFan234

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 05:47:20 PM »
Sort of like your mom last night.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 06:32:55 PM »
Still find it odd that Disney released their racially charged "On the Front Lines", which is fairly awesome, yet refuses to give this a limited release for the diehards. Especially since the ride Spalsh Mountain is based on this film, and why that was done in the first place is really beyond me.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
RE:I want to buy this...
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 06:34:29 PM »

Originally posted by: CloudFan234

Hence that she doesn't love you.  Thanks for the Car.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 06:35:58 PM »

Originally posted by: CloudFan234

/sigh... so many alts...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 12:55:20 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
Yeah, I think we'll see an official Disney release about the same time that we see an official release of the Star Wars Holiday Special...

haha that made me think of This, you can spot it near the end
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 02:09:50 PM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure

Oh man, even with the advance warning I still burst out laughing during that scene. Classic music video all around.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 02:26:35 PM »
"Especially since the ride Splash Mountain is based on this film, and why that was done in the first place is really beyond me."

According to the Wikipedia entry on Splash Mountain a lot of the animatronics for the ride were from closed attraction called America Sings.  So they probably went with that theme for Splash Mountain because it was obviously cheaper to recycle animatronics they weren't going to use anymore.

I wish they would release this on DVD just for completeness sake.  Let US decide if it's racist or not.  Birth of a Nation is literally a KKK recruitment video yet I can buy it if I want to.  I think Disney's reasoning is that since this is a kids movie the target audience may not be mature enough to handle it.  Still they could just release it online-only and not advertise it.  Then film buffs can get it and ignorant parents won't be buying it to show their children.

Still I think it's silly that it's okay to release it outside of North America.  How can something be considered racist in one place and not the rest of the world?

I'll also point out that Tintin and Asterix books contain depictions of non-whites in a racist manner yet they're still widely available for sale.  Somehow America's youth hasn't been corrupted by them.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 02:35:04 PM »
Or HAVE they?

I say release the darn thing in a black plastic wrapper already Disney. Geez.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 02:40:03 PM »
"Or HAVE they?"

Come to think of it I was attacked last week by a guy acting a lot like Captain Haddock.  The police said he was drunk but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 07:44:03 PM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure

Originally posted by: UncleBob

LOL

actually, what made laugh hard happens at around 1:25 XD
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 07:36:30 AM »
My favorite Tintin phrase? "Yes Sahib" My favorite scene? Any time Captain Haddock gets drunk and starts yelling or abusing the natives. Comic gold. I kid. I kid the Tintin.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 12:10:18 PM »
Billions of blue blistering barnacles! Ah...those were the days.
I would DL...if you're interested in general rare oop stuff I would check here.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 02:58:41 PM »
hmm, is that public domain yet? mickey aint going into public domain anytime soon, but things they could care less about....
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 04:18:15 PM »
im happy you guys enjoyed the video. my friend actually tried to tell me weird al was only good in the 80s and lost his touch. this video is proof he hasnt though. AAA
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 05:51:19 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
hmm, is that public domain yet? mickey aint going into public domain anytime soon, but things they could care less about....

Like Disney would ever let this fall into public domain. If they did, then other companies would logically release it, and if that's what you are trying to avoid then you will continue to pay to ensure it doesn't happen.

A film company I follow, Toho, has a huge catalogue of titles, including two of them that are considered "banned" for their representation of the Ainu and the other for how it treats victims of a nuclear attack. They ensure, though, that all of their properties don't fall into public domain in any market, and if they can do so then it's hard to fathom that an even larger company like Disney wouldn't be doing the same thing.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 06:15:03 PM »
ThePerm, and everyone else here: unfortunately, due to the copyright term being extended YET AGAIN in 1998, almost nothing after the year 1923 has been released into the public domain...G-d it's so hard not to go on another one of my rants again...but yeah, Song of the South was released in either 46 or 54, and it'll be a long time yet before that falls into the public domain.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 06:17:01 PM »
Toho...rings a bell...Akira Kurosawa?

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 06:23:07 PM »

Originally posted by: BiLdItUp1
Toho...rings a bell...Akira Kurosawa?

Yep, they are best known for their Akira Kurosawa films and the Godzilla ones. If you are generally interested about them, I run a site around the company found in my sig.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 10:14:17 PM »
Ah...there was actually a screening of one of those godzilla films last week at my uni; damn i'd like to see them...I'll be sure to check it out at some pt.

p.s. Ran just plain kicks ass (I'm gonna have to watch that thing again) and Seven Samurai pwns Magnificent Seven.