Author Topic: Help me with my dream!  (Read 36961 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
RE:Help me with my dream!
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2007, 03:40:55 AM »
SUCCESS! (again)!

I was thinking more about this and came up with a plan...

I took a pocket knife and cut off the little tab that prevents the GBA link cable from going into a GameBoy Pocket.

Voila!  "5 Players Ready".  This was done with two GBAs, 1 GBASP, 1 GameBoy Player and one GBC.

The down side is that, using this method, the cable is rather loose in the GBC... thus, I will still need to have the cables modified.

The upside is that I was able to confirm that this will work using my planned method with my planned Game Boys!  Whoo!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Unca Jim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2007, 02:20:28 PM »
Bob:

I run the original Midimaze on Atari STs at Con of the North, which you know because you asked about it.  I thought we could move our conversation about all this to this forum...

First off:  I am truly glad to find a kindred spirit.  Midimaze (or Faceball) is a game which people love with the heat of 1000 suns.  It doesn't matter if it's beautiful, it 's just so fun to play!  Sure, there are a million cooler FPS games out there, but none of them tell you to have a nice day and none of them smile at your demise in quite the same way.

I know the sorrow of hardware accumulation, and I'd be happy to donate to your cause.  I have a few GBAs which have seen a lot of use but still work that I could send you.  I'd also recommend rechargeable batteries and will happily donate 8 NiMH AAs and a charger.  Let me know if that would help...

Also:  I extend to you a hearty welcome to Con of the North to see what you're getting yourself in for.  I will take care of your registration to the convention and try to hook you up with a hotel if you want to come up for it.  If you can get your project operational by mid-February, we could get you some space in the Midizone to play...otherwise just come play it on the 16 original Atari STs we'll have set up.  We run a multitude of tournaments and events all weekend and set up Thursday night.

This project is truly awesome and it must happen!  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
RE: Help me with my dream!
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2007, 04:09:59 PM »
Dude... wow.

One thing at a time though... As for donated GBAs... yeah!  Even if I get everything running with the units I have (and the ones being donated already), I'm still 3 short (2 if I manage to score me a cheap GameCube)...  Batteries are nice, but expensive to mail due to their weight... If you really want to, I won't complain... If you'd like something to cover shipping costs, let me know.  

As for going to the CotN... that'd be pretty cool.  I'm not 100% sure I could swing it...  I'll have to look into a few things, but the wife and I just bought a house...  The St. Paul is only about an 11 hour drive, which isn't too bad - but I'd be looking at five days or so off from work - although, I guess I wouldn't have to stay for the entire convention. ($300 each plane tickets are out of the question... do you know how much house insurance is? )  Let me play with some bills and look at what kind of vacation days I have coming... I would *love* to go to something like this and, perhaps, this could help take care of the problem of finding 16 players interested in getting together to play a 15 year old Game Boy game.

Wow... I'm amazed that such an offer would even come up...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2007, 06:04:18 PM »
Wow, this thing is starting to snowball.

Offline Unca Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2007, 12:52:56 AM »
Well, to assist you in your decision here's a link to our website.

I don't know if you're a card/board/roleplaying gamer or not, but the hotel is nice and there's plenty to do in the Twin Cities.  While you're checking out the site, you can look over most of the events we will be running.

There will also be a PC LAN gaming room, a multi-player internet game called Crossfire, as well as a vendor room and open gaming.  If your wife is interested in events, I could cover her registration as well.  

As I said before, I'll be happy to try to coordinate sleeping space for you and your wife if you're interested in coming.

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2007, 09:58:31 AM »
um unclebob, does this mean your no longer interested in my sponsorship?  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2007, 10:19:23 AM »
Man, that invitation makes the $20 I donated to the cause seem so piddly.  :/

I know (as I've said, and so have others) that this set-up will be worth it if it's appreciated at gaming conventions.  Looks like it may happen...if you go, that is.  At least you know there's a venue for that kind of thing (specifically, even!) and your efforts will never have gone to waste.  Awesome.

What do you have left to get before the maiden voyage?  Or maiden...shootout?  Or whatever?  Do you have all 16 Game Paks yet?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2007, 02:23:19 PM »
Rat: at this point, I don't think I'll be doing anything with sponsorship - I'm not certian it'd be right with all those who have donated...

Jon: As for what I need, I badly, badly at this point need 6 or so GBA link cables.  The must be first party branded cables - I fear off brand cables may end up with different results.  I've been ordering them on eBay, but they're kinda hard to find.  If anyone wants to help me find, it'd be a great help.  EBGames/GameStop sells them for $1.99 used, but, unfortunatly, there are none near me.  You can see if your local store has them in stock here: http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=900468

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2007, 05:18:03 PM »
thats cool. I really hope this works out for you anyways.  
You can call me

Offline Parody

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2007, 04:27:32 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
I would *love* to go to something like this and, perhaps, this could help take care of the problem of finding 16 players interested in getting together to play a 15 year old Game Boy game. ;)

I know I'd be willing to play if you can make it up to Con of the North.  I played it years ago and always wanted to try multiplayer.  Never got the chance since someone borrowed my cartridge and never returned it. :(
Michael Miller
ESG Labs

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2007, 01:36:46 AM »
It's probably one of them I bought off eBay... Your initials wouldn't happen to be DB, would they?

Offline Unca Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2007, 04:14:10 AM »
I just got my very own copy of Faceball!  Whoo Hoo!

Anyway, I still haven't gotten the package of stuff to send you together.  You did still want donations, right?

For sure:
8 AA Nimh batteries
Quick charger for same
at least one Game Boy Advance

At least one of the following:
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Classic
Another Game Boy Advance

Did you want me to pick up registrations for Con of the North for you and your wife?  The pre-registration deadline has recently passed, but if I get them in soon I save a bunch...and you two can register for any events you might want.  Again, if you are coming up I can help you find hotel or house sleeping space as well.

I'm not trying to bug you about it or anything, I know how marital decision goes.  It's just fine if you can't make it, I'll still donate to the mad science project.

Oh, I can get old metal A/V carts for free at work to roll crap around on which might be fun.  Mobile gaming experience!  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2007, 03:40:10 PM »
Oh yes, I'm still taking donations... I'm still short a few Game Boys.

As for the convention, I'd love to go, but I just really don't think I'll be able to make it... It's slightly possible that I might have been able to get up there for the event, but the cables I need are going to have to be hand made, and I'm not certian it's going to be possible for me to get the cables I need collected, shipped out, modified and returned to me in time...

Perhaps next year?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2007, 12:23:11 PM »

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2007, 01:42:30 AM »
Eight?  *yawn*
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2007, 02:45:02 AM »
It's all I can do right now.

Offline Unca Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2007, 04:02:23 AM »
No worries about coming up to Con of the North in February, I just though it would be fun if you could make it.  

If you'd like me to, I can put you on the mailing list so you get an events program book and Judge materials for 2008 so you'll have a little more time to plan.

I saw your address earlier, is that OK for packages?  I might be sending you a bunch of Gameboy Colors with the other stuff.  As we are off for a short vacation at the end of the month, I will get that out this coming week.

What kind of cables do you need?  Will the 4-player hubs I see all over the internet work for you?

Anyway, if you want on the mailing list, please email me with your full name and address.  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2007, 06:00:36 AM »
Yes, do add me to the list for next year... I have high hopes of being able to go!

I've changed the address above to my new mailing address.  As I said, we just bought a house... I'm still getting mail at the old address for about two more weeks along with mail at the new address.

As for the cables that I need, I've got them either in-hand (or coming soon in the mail) - they're the official Nintendo-branded GBA Link cables... but the issue is that, of course, these cables don't fit into any of the older GameBoys... and since getting 16 GBA's is out of the question (and, quite simply, not as cool), I've got to have Troz ("my cable guy")  do some custom work on them.

In theory, I can get the cables to work using the quick method I posted above, but, unfortunatly, the cables are too loose in the link port and I fear it'd be too unstable to actually play using this method... So, at this point, I'm waiting to get the last shipments of eBay'd GBA cables in hand so I can mail 'em to Troz and have him get the custom cables made for me.  Also, I'm still waiting for any additional GameBoys to come in the mail and the SNES that is coming - I can't seem to get the Super Game Boy 2 to work with this method so far and I'm hoping that, removing the Game Genie from the equation will make it a bit more reliable...

BTW: to save you time from going back through the old posts for my new address, I'll go ahead and post it here... All mailings can be sent to UncleBob/129 11th Street/Carmi, IL 62821

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2007, 06:09:10 AM »
What's with the week and a half of silence here?

Offline Unca Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2007, 03:54:19 AM »
I've been on vacation and I've got a convention to get ready for!

I will be sending my care package soon...

I now have three copies of the game, but I can't get it to network.  

Offline Parody

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2007, 02:31:27 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
It's probably one of them I bought off eBay... Your initials wouldn't happen to be DB, would they?

No.  If it had any markings it'd have a diamond quartered by a cross on the back, similar to the logo on my website.
Michael Miller
ESG Labs

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2007, 03:29:01 PM »
what happend to Uncle bob he hasnt been around much lately has he?
You can call me

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2007, 06:26:30 AM »
He and his wife just recently moved; I assume he's either busy or doesn't yet have an Internet connection.  I remember he was complaining about posting to the forums from his phone a while ago.

You can always call him and ask.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2007, 09:09:22 AM »
well thats forgivable I guess. as long as nothing happened to him. As long as he doesnt bring back that mannipple when he returns.  
You can call me

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2007, 08:38:10 AM »
When did he move?  I sent him a GBC a few weeks ago (est time was 4-6 weeks with Canada post).  I hope it doesn't get lost if he moved since I sent it!
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level