Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 226987 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #925 on: January 16, 2010, 04:41:26 PM »
I love how I treated this site as my Twitter account (does not exist) during last year's E3 Nintendo Conference.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Invincible Donkey Kong

• DK Crew. HUH!
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 16, 2010, 04:42:52 PM »
I demand this topic be renamed to "The PATHETIC state of D_Average attempting to cover up what a wimpy troll he is."  :reggie:
Buy Zap's perler bead art!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/NewDonkCityVending

Operation: Get Zap a Switch GoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/get-zap-a-switch

Summer of Donk ~ 2017 Twitch meetups! ~ DKC2
https://www.twitch.tv/zapr2k

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #927 on: January 16, 2010, 04:43:59 PM »
If he's gonna troll, then troll harder.  He's not doing it right.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: January 16, 2010, 09:12:32 PM »
hehe, after examining corperate budgets for the last hour it makes perfect sense for a company like Nintendo to make low budget mario themed dribble in such bad economic times. The game probably cost under a million to make and yielded back 500 million.

Nevermind the comparison is stupid considering the company has other games in development that will be far better the Splosion man
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 16, 2010, 09:20:45 PM »
I don't listen to the IGN's Gamescoop podcast any more because Daemon's trolling got to be too much for me. The guy just seems like a tool.

I remember one podcast Daemon said that when he went out he didn't admit to people that he worked in the games industry, telling them he worked for Fox media or something instead.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: January 17, 2010, 04:02:31 AM »
Wouldn't it make more sense to fault Modern Warfare 2 to drawing hype away from a plucky little DLC game than a game from a completely different platform?

Friggin' casual FPS is taking away players from hardcore FPSes like Section 8!

Its like rooting for your favorite NFL team.  Sure you love them and all, but when they slip up, make poor drafts picks, or trade your best player away to save money you get upset, complain and debate with other fans.

Now my perspective may be skewed but the impression I get is that while sports fans may attack individuals within their team they will never go "our team is terrible because of X", they'll always keep a "**** yeah, if we can't beat 'em in two halves we'll use the third*!" attitude.

*= Third half refers to brawls outside the stadium

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: January 17, 2010, 04:22:27 AM »
Now my perspective may be skewed but the impression I get is that while sports fans may attack individuals within their team they will never go "our team is terrible because of X", they'll always keep a "**** yeah, if we can't beat 'em in two halves we'll use the third*!" attitude.

That's just blind fanboyism.  Being a real fan means still buying all the sports merchandise, but sitting in the corner of the bar all frumpy and angry saying the team is lazy and getting soft, despite winning the World Cup, because their uniforms weren't made by Nike.  Or, REAL fandom is where you actually hate the team, but hang out in the same bar as the rest of the fans because you're lonely and need stimulus.  Or even better, being the sports reporter for the network and when your team comes in victorious with trophy and prestige in hand, immediately begin comparing their performance to some High School team from Abu Dhabi and begin to berate the fans in the stands for even liking this team.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:44:29 AM by Deguello »
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: January 17, 2010, 07:46:43 AM »
My take is that real sports fans realize that while the Clone Wars movie sucked, the Clone Wars TV series is really what George Lucas was going for in how he's been able to reach back in time to those sci-fi serials of yore that originally inspired him.

Oh wait... star wars =/= sports.... yeah, anyways... I think it takes a real fan to find values and themes that exist beyond the immediate experience of the game, or any winning or losing that may result.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: January 17, 2010, 12:30:01 PM »
Enough of this diversion though.  I'm going to spend some time with Wind Waker now just to spite my Wii.
So, by your logic, GCN was better then Wii. Wow, that is just... beyond words.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: January 17, 2010, 01:43:14 PM »
Or maybe he doesn't know that Wind Waker is actually a GC game.  Tsk tsk.  Should have picked the next one.  That would make it believable.

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: January 17, 2010, 01:53:18 PM »
Enough of this diversion though.  I'm going to spend some time with Wind Waker now just to spite my Wii.
So, by your logic, GCN was better then Wii. Wow, that is just... beyond words.

D_Average is being silly, but it's hardly impossible that someone might prefer the GC -- after all, it had basically the best traditional controller ever made, conveniently small disks, was graphically quite nice (certainly in the same class as the wii), had great games, a cute pudgy shape, ....

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: January 17, 2010, 02:10:22 PM »
was graphically quite nice

Amusingly, none of the press seemed to care that much at the time.  They were too busy calling Nintendo kiddy and saying their games weren't mainstream or "accessible" enough (Go read a review of late N64 games and Middle GC games.  You'll find this word EVERYwhere.)  A couple of years ago Nintendo rectified that and then they were called casual and "destroying video games."  Now when Nintendo releases a game that is 100% bonafide video game (Unless you want to throw Mario under the bus) the nom du jour is "lazy."

It's amazing to watch other people change around Nintendo, when Nintendo changes very little.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: January 17, 2010, 02:17:55 PM »
I'm sorry, but I can't see how you put Shigeru Miyamoto on a game, and that's somehow lazy.

What's lazy is when you DON'T put Shigeru Miyamoto on a game. Like for much of the early development of TWILIGHT PRINCESS.

So, in conclusion, bold statement: Twilight Princess is lazier than NSMBWii.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: January 17, 2010, 03:51:11 PM »
"Lazy" is also complete nonsense because Nintendo typically releases a very high number of titles (Wii and DS) each year, all with a consistent level of care and quality, even with stuff like Nintendogs and Brain Age (Often imitated, never duplicated.)  They are probably the hardest working developer on the entire planet.  Their customers don't think they are are lazy.

This is just projection, really.  IGN had no idea what to do when Nintendo got popular after they had "doom and gloomed" it since E3 2004.  Bitterly disappointed, acerbic editorials are easy.  Several are written each day on message boards such as this.  Eating some crow and actual analysis are much more difficult.  Their credibility is nothing now, especially after that last diatribe, and instead of owning up to their mistakes and working toward getting new readers or possibly those old readers back, they take the easy way out and make a Gamefaqs-style rant with a bitter grape twist.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: January 18, 2010, 04:16:06 PM »
Gaming media logic is the most amazing thing in the world. NSMBWii is one of the best 2-D platformers released this generation, and somehow a downloadable title by some no name studio is considered original while the former is considered "lazy"?

**** you Daemon. ****. YOU.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: January 18, 2010, 05:39:09 PM »
Honestly, these sort of rants don't bother me anymore. In fact, I hope they write more of them. Do you realize how hilarious they're going to be to read five years from now?

The only thing really worth discussing about this is the fact that I've never seen game "journalists" openly campaign against a game. This is now the THIRD time IGN has railed against Mario. Isn't that just a little bizarre?

It seems to me the real point of these rants isn't to bash the game, or even to point out just how "lazy" Nintendo is, but to bash the people buying the game. The implication behind all of this is that everybody is too stupid to realize just how lazy the game is, and they just wont let it go.

Daemon also proves in his editorial that game journalists view games with a checklist in mind. I guess game design doesn't count for anything these days.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #941 on: January 18, 2010, 08:31:36 PM »
BTW, am I the only one that gets a mental image of the Comic-Book Guy (simpsons) when reading about these IGN "journalists"...?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #942 on: January 18, 2010, 08:46:13 PM »

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: January 18, 2010, 10:33:50 PM »
Hmm, if that guy and the comic-book guy loved each other very much, and got married, and had kids...

Those kids would write for IGN.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: January 18, 2010, 10:52:32 PM »
So that's what crack baby means..
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: January 19, 2010, 01:16:18 AM »
That video IS accurate. The gaming media is akin to that of a pissy cracked out teenager.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: January 19, 2010, 04:29:16 AM »
Counter-article to "Nintendo is lazy"

Also ReggieFA your sig has a runaway bold effect.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: January 19, 2010, 06:17:31 AM »
Counter-article to "Nintendo is lazy"

Also ReggieFA your sig has a runaway bold effect.

Jeez, it's pretty bad when readers can outwrite and outthink a paid staff member.  That actually read like an article and not some angry ill-researched rant.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: January 19, 2010, 02:59:27 PM »
The reality is that we can write better crap then they can. EasyCure and I already dabbled into this feet a couple of times already.

I pretended to be a IGN reviewer, he wrote something that was akin to a ignorant news outlet (not game related) talking about how gaming was going to hurt somebody, physically.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: January 19, 2010, 07:25:16 PM »
EasyCure and I already dabbled into this feet a couple of times already.

you mean we dabbled our feet together? were we working hard in the kitchen or something? I don't recall this at all.

But seriously, its not hard to sound intelligent; remember that forum member TrueBlue? He was borderline retarded!

So that's what crack baby means..

Did somebody say "Crack baby"?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 07:43:54 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.